Tenant making threats to me during eviction....

Tenant making threats to me during eviction....

Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes

I am fearful that my tenant is willing to act on his threats.

the threats are current and are happening because I’m evicting him

0Reply
87 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y

Tell him you have made local law enforcement aware of the threats.  Block their phone number.  Use written communications only.  Follow the legal eviction process.  It is a scary situation but this too will pass. 

See this reply in the discussion

48 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    I was hoping you'd write out that story again. But I don't think it's much use to the OP.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2010 · 298 posts · 103 votes
    7y

    I would be cautious. Crazy tenants have killed landlords over evictions, so never forget there are some nutballs out there. Best thing you can do is avoid any contact with the tenant. Stay away from the property. Let the police handle it. Resist the temptation to have a chat in person with the tenant to try to get his cooperation, or to explain why you  are evicting. Crazy people don't listen to reason.   You need to live to see another day. No tenant is worth riskng that.  A landlord in Utah was recently killed by his tenant. From what I gathered, he was so upset he felt compelled to personally visit his tenant to talk. An argument apparently  ensued,and the tenant killed him. The landlord was totally justifed in being upset with the tenant and wanting to talk. His mistake was he went alone and he was dealing with a mentally imbalanced tenant. Sometimes you must show the discipline to keep your mouth shut and let the sheriff handle things. It's  not worth risking  your life over

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2017 · 206 posts · 175 votes
    7y

    @Matt K.

    How? Because I don't know how to find the owners name and primary residence of an LLC....

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 739 posts · 372 votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore

    What are the specific threats 

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt Honeyford:

    @Matt K.

    How? Because I don't know how to find the owners name and primary residence of an LLC....

     If a person is self managing then you can just Google the name to get the info....

    or look up the property address on county website and then get LLC name and Google it.

    https://www.upcounsel.com/how-...

    feel free to PM me a specific LLC and the state and I'll show you actual info... Or a property

  • Sterling, VA · Member since 2010 · 30 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Luciano A.

    Just curious. I am newbie trying to learn commercial MF investing.

    If he had a strong property management company how would this situation be handled?

    Basically I am trying to make a strong case for property management and how would landlord be protected?

    Thanks

    Jagan

  • Real Estate Broker · Auburn, WA · Member since 2015 · 151 posts · 106 votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore

    When a tenant makes threatening remarks, that is grounds for a 3 day cease & desist w/ sheriffs eviction! In Washington State I’ve done this twice and was successful with eviction! Sheriffs will trespass the tenant upon eviction! If they re-enter the property they can be arrested and it’s a possible felony depending if they break into the unit...

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Don't pay it any attention. Of course they are going to threaten you as a last resort. I don't bother wasting my time with the police because its not like they are going to put a protective detail on me, and if the tenant follows through, well having told the police beforehand isn't going to fix anything. Worse yet, if the police do get involved, they'll go over there and tell the tenant to knock it off, which will then enbrazen them more to harass you knowing it is working.

    And I NEVER tell anyone to call my lawyer - hell no, I don't want him racking up billable hours w/ idiots like this - he only responds when we get a summons.

    Just ignore this nonsense until you see their car circling your block, which 9.99999/10 times won't happen. Simply take pleasure in the fact that you following the law has caused them enough stress to bring them to this point of spewing nonsense at you; karma baby, for them not paying their rent.

    BTW - I've received all sorts of threats over the years, even had the police called on me by the tenant when delivering a 5-day notice. The only time I've ever been concerned was when a tenant answered the door with a gun (and mind you, I was there to offer cash-for-keys in a last-ditch effort, so who's looking stupid there...). Until they act, don't sweat it, the vast majority are blowing more hot air than a furnace in Alaska in the middle of January.

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jagan Reddy:

    @Luciano A.

    Just curious. I am newbie trying to learn commercial MF investing.

    If he had a strong property management company how would this situation be handled?

    Basically I am trying to make a strong case for property management and how would landlord be protected?

    Thanks

    Jagan

     Landlord would be protected because the tenants wouldn't have any way of knowing who they are. Many of my clients hold their properties in trusts, so the only people who know the real owner is me and my client's attorney. No way of searching public records either for that data. If property isn't held in a trust, the tenant could research the owner, but the vast majority won't. And even if they do, they usually take that opportunity to bad-mouth the management company vs. attack the owner and state complete BS, IE "I haven't had running water for weeks and now your PM is trying to evict me!! Please help!!!".

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 89 posts · 27 votes
    7y

    People are nuts and in this day and age don't place much value on human life - look at all of the road rage incidents. Document every threat and communication and make a formal report with the police. One of the BP members mentioned creating an LLC and PO Box to preserve anonymity - that's a good idea too in that it insulates you from any unwanted visitors. Hiring a property manager could benefit you too.

    Separately, you might want to look into buying rent default insurance to protect your cash flow.

    Good luck and be safe,

    Aaron

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y

    Man there's some funny stuff here in a thread that's not really funny (I'm looking at you @Jim K. ). The main thing is what is the nature of the threat and how likely you think they are to act on the threat. If the threat is just general ranting and raving, I'd probably just document that it happened somewhere and move on. If it is a specific threat of violence, I would report it to the police. And that all depends on the context - someone saying "I'm going to kick your ***" within the confines of a general rant I would probably ignore. Someone calling or texting me a specific threat - "I'm going to put a bullet in your head" or "You better keep a close eye on your family" I would report. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @JD Martin:

    Man there's some funny stuff here in a thread that's not really funny (I'm looking at you @Jim K. ). The main thing is what is the nature of the threat and how likely you think they are to act on the threat. If the threat is just general ranting and raving, I'd probably just document that it happened somewhere and move on. If it is a specific threat of violence, I would report it to the police. And that all depends on the context - someone saying "I'm going to kick your ***" within the confines of a general rant I would probably ignore. Someone calling or texting me a specific threat - "I'm going to put a bullet in your head" or "You better keep a close eye on your family" I would report. 

    I have immense difficulty taking anything the OP writes at face value.

  • Rock Hill, SC · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Christopher Whitson

    I actually had them accompany me to a property a few times for my safety. They were happy to help.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @JD Martin:

    Man there's some funny stuff here in a thread that's not really funny (I'm looking at you @Jim K. ). The main thing is what is the nature of the threat and how likely you think they are to act on the threat. If the threat is just general ranting and raving, I'd probably just document that it happened somewhere and move on. If it is a specific threat of violence, I would report it to the police. And that all depends on the context - someone saying "I'm going to kick your ***" within the confines of a general rant I would probably ignore. Someone calling or texting me a specific threat - "I'm going to put a bullet in your head" or "You better keep a close eye on your family" I would report. 

    I have immense difficulty taking anything the OP writes at face value.

    Actually, I laughed when I read your "thoughts and prayers" even though the premise isn't funny :)

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    Try your best to save the evidence about it, like recording, messages or other ways. Collect the evidence and give it to your lawyer for help.

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Jim K.

    You should take it at face value. Looking through all my posts, my original post have always been honest questions or situational things. You never really added anything positive. Sadly.

    Not sure your hatred for me. But I am satisfied some people have noticed that you act out of hand towards me.

    Carry on, Pal

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Derrick E.

    6’1 with a skinny frame haha.

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Terrell Garren

    I will be going with this option!

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Matt K.

    How many evictions have you been thru?

    How many got UGLY at some point?

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Christopher Whitson

    How many evictions have you been thru?

    How many got UGLY at some point?

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Olszak

    How many evictions have you been thru?

    How many got UGLY at some point?

  • Real Estate Agent · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Honestly, 0 at this point as I'm new to REI.

    However I’ve worked through a lot of sensitive situations as a leader of Marines that I think have exposed me to a wide variety of decision points. 

    Day to day in the life as an infantryman may surprise/disappoint a lot of folks.  Working with my Marines through debt management, financial problems, family problems, allegations, substance abuse, and severe depression are mostly learned informally on the job. (I should mention doing all this is made possible by my team of leaders and senior advisors.)

    Additionally managing, maintaining, operating multi-millions worth of equipment and facilities as part of the daily responsibilities.  The housing situation varies from comping to being on a ship to barracks life to military family housing and then out in town.  Even on base we deal with “evictions” and are moving a lot of people around.  The biggest difference is that the taxpayers have provided all of those facilities-so being a property manager appears to have some overlap from my perspective. I’ve called the cops myself on more than one occasion trying to locate a Marine and ensure they are safe from harming themself or when they are in danger.

    I know I don’t know a lot about the specifics of dealing with civilian real estate; but I’m also a firm believer that you can always make the best of a situation with the collective IQ.  It’s when decisions are made in a vacuum by an individual that allow situations to get out of hand.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.