Dishwashers in rentals

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
7y

It’s $400 installed once every 10-15 years. A couple dollars a month. Everyone “wants one” or notices when it’s not there, and then never uses it. It probably pays for itself in more rent or shorter vacancies. Unless you’re in the sub $500/mo market. 

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    It’s $400 installed once every 10-15 years. A couple dollars a month. Everyone “wants one” or notices when it’s not there, and then never uses it. It probably pays for itself in more rent or shorter vacancies. Unless you’re in the sub $500/mo market. 

  • Ronnie S.Pro Member
    Investor · Coeur d Alene, ID · Member since 2013 · 109 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    Having a dishwasher gives the appearance of a complete kitchen....plus....it is inexpensive and will make a difference to "some renter"

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    If there is room I would add it. They are inexpensive and people do like them.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 512 posts · 301 votes
    7y

    @Sharron Morrow it would turn off a lot of renters. Not saying it wouldn’t work not having one, it would just turn off a lot of people.

    You are risking extra work by doing more showings and likely a longer vacancy l. I think it’s a standard and that you should have it. Not worth the risk. Penny smart dollar foolish imo

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Sharron Morrow

    I always put a dishwasher in my BRRRR projects. It's a few hundred bucks and helps get the appraisal a little higher. Renters always comment positively when they see a dishwasher. If you buy an appliance package the dishwasher is about $300.

    Definitely put a dishwasher in.

  • Rental Property Investor · Horn Lake, MS · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    It's an older home, small kitchen and I was thinking more cabinet space would be better. Thanks for the insights.

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Sharron Morrow always. Even if it has to be an 18” one. Always.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sharron Morrow:

    This is my first rehab and gutted the kitchen. Thought about not putting in a dishwasher. Your thoughts?

    If the property is high end yes install it as that is a typical feature that tenants expect. If it's on the lower end like $700 or $800 per month, no do not install it. Will be more trouble than it's worth as the tenants abuse them, break them & do god knows what to them.

  • Midland, TX · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Absolutely. Though I am not an experienced landlord, I have rented for several years now and I would never rent a place without a dishwasher. Other units are almost guaranteed to have them and, at least in my circle, the renters I know expect them.

    I would much rather have a dishwasher than more cabinet space.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2010 · 292 posts · 103 votes
    7y

    I will second what James Wise said,and add my two cents:  Dishwashers are great labor-saving devices, as well as a more economical way to wash dishes than hand washing.  They are generally pretty reliable, and the occasional repair bill to fix them, should not be a regular thing.   Having a dishwasher should enable you to charge more rent and/or rent a place faster.  The more important question is where should they not be installed? Not every property justifies the expense. I would not install a dishwasher in a lower rent rental unit in a D or worse class neighborhood.  Many of the tenants in these areas will lack the intelligence or just common sense to properly operate a dishwasher without abusing it. These types of tenants qualify only for the basics like windows, a roof, and hot and cold running water.  Amenities like  a dishwasher can be theirs once they improve their lives to the point they can move to better housing. I would love to see every tenant enjoy the benefits of a dishwasher, but the reality is, many of them just don't deserve having one.

  • Rental Property Investor · Davenport, FL · Member since 2013 · 285 posts · 220 votes
    7y

    High end or low end rental, if there's room put one in.  For a rehab fix and sell, definitely put one in - make the room :)

  • Contractor · Fairhaven, MA · Member since 2018 · 167 posts · 159 votes
    7y
    I would check it out after install.  I design for a builder that builds about 52+ homes a year.  You would be shocked at home many out of the box dishwashers leak.  Not much just enough to not notice it for awhile and if there is hardwood in the kitchen (especially pre-finished) it will get ruined.   I usually scoff when I hear "they don't build them like they used to"....... Certain items I don't' scoff.  DW's, W & D's etc.   They're not the same anymore.
  • Rental Property Investor · New Castle, DE · Member since 2016 · 376 posts · 158 votes
    7y

    I had the same thoughts with my smaller older rental with not that much cabinet space. I also kept my fully functioning, previous dishwasher so I decided to install it. The current tenant doesn't use it as she prefers to hand wash. Maybe the next tenant will use it ...

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    You can always use a dishwasher as a cabinet, you can't use a cabinet as a dishwasher. believe me non-dishwasher users can find a way to use the space. unless you are real low end, put one in.

  • Real Estate Agent · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 52 votes
    7y

    I think this is going to be location dependent. If is not common to see them in this area, especially in older homes with small kitchens, skip it (personally I prefer more cabinets and hand wash everything, even with my large family). I have not used a dishwasher in years bc they never clean the dishes well and sometimes they leak when the seal goes bad (easy fix but if it goes unnoticed, this could be a big issue).

    BUT if you’re in an area where it’s pretty typical to see them, even in smaller/older homes that have been rehabbed, I would put it in. It’s a small cost overall. I wouldn’t expect them to maintain it like clearing the food trap or checking the integrity of the seal so perhaps make that part of your routine maintenance to extend the useful life of it.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @David Stone:

    High end or low end rental, if there's room put one in.  For a rehab fix and sell, definitely put one in - make the room :)

    Have you had experience renting a lot of low end properties with dishwashers in them? It's not as simple as having room. The cost to maintain is insane due to the abuse they receive from the low class tenant base. It's an ROI killer.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 407 posts · 267 votes
    7y

    Like everyone else has said, if it's a market standard, the you should definitely add it.

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Another good thing (especially if you pay water), modern dishwashers generally use less water than hand washing dishes.
  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Sharron Morrow Is this was flip project I would definitely add a dishwasher, no brainer because people love them.

    Since this is a rental I would let the area you are renting in and the tenants you will likely be attracting determine whether to add a dishwasher or not. In general lower income tenants are much rougher on appliances like dishwashers, garbage disposals, washer/dryers, etc. Odds are also in these types of areas your competition likely doesn't have them so you won't be at a disadvantage. 

    If the area is good and tenant class is solid I would put one in if it is a single family rental. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Long Island, NY · Member since 2015 · 490 posts · 301 votes
    7y

    @Sharron Morrow We our then in all of our full rehabs as it’s a nice amenity that applicants appreciate. A lot of tenants wind up using it as extra storage for dishes in a small kitchen but they do like it and I think for less then $500 it’s a good thing to have.

  • Rental Property Investor · Horn Lake, MS · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    The home is on Detroit's North end on a block with new homes. Looking to get minimum 900/mo. I was surprised when I visited my daughter in Lansing, Il, in a middle class neighborhood and saw there was no dishwasher in a newer rehabbed 3br Sfr. I know some may think this is not a big deal. Trying to minimize some risks with this first rehab.

  • Real Estate Investor · Unionville, CT · Member since 2016 · 260 posts · 167 votes
    7y

    @Sharron Morrow I would put one in if your selling the home or it’s a higher end rental. I have them in a few of my homes but not all. The lower end ones goes without, mainly because I pay for water and the kitchens are too small with the layout the kitchen has. Clothes washer will be more of a priority at this price point for me.

    What is your in game and if it’s renting, what kind of Renter do you have? High Or lower end? It always helps to know the endgame.

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 339 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sharron Morrow:

    The home is on Detroit's North end on a block with new homes. Looking to get minimum 900/mo. I was surprised when I visited my daughter in Lansing, Il, in a middle class neighborhood and saw there was no dishwasher in a newer rehabbed 3br Sfr. I know some may think this is not a big deal. Trying to minimize some risks with this first rehab.

    We don't supply dishwashers or disposals in our older rental (1914 house). We do in the newer house.  Tenants over the past 20 years have only once ever even brought up the idea of getting a portable dishwasher. We only put a dishwasher in our own kitchen a couple of years ago, for the first time (and we lost cabinet space). We like having the dishwasher, but life before dishwasher was not terrible. It's a luxury, not a necessity. A friend has a dishwasher and never uses it. It works fine. Not everyone is a "dishwasher person", and depending on your market, it might not be expected at all.

  • Investor · Marysville, WA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Sharron Morrow

    Always include appliances . You can increase your monthly rent and rest assured the piece of mind knowing your appliances are working properly .

    Install new to lightly used appliances .

    Great sources to purchase

    Craigslist , Facebook , Sears rent to own program .

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
    7y

    Depends on what kitchens look like in your rental market.  If every kitchen has beautiful counter tops and a full set of nice stainless appliances then you will suffer if you don't compete.  If you have a 3+ bed rental and are hoping to have a family move in long term you better make sure the wife is going to be happy with the kitchen, may well be the most important room in the house.  On the other hand if its is a studio or 1 bed that you will be renting to a single person then I probably would not put one in unless the kitchen had an abundance of storage or was really high end.  Tenants don't treat dish washers like you would your own, some will throw plates in, still covered with food.  I had a new dish washer destroyed within 4 years once.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.