Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
27,403 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    It seems pretty safe to assume at this point that any applicant who starts off with "Let me explain my situation ..." isn't going to be a good candidate.

    Was showing a place today and the woman comes in, no coat (it's about 43 degrees here) and looks around for about 30 seconds, then launches into, "This place is real nice!  Let me explain my situation ..."

    I immediately figure something's up so I listen.

    Her: "See, I'm looking for a place because my boyfriend, we've been together for about 5 years now, he MIGHT be going to jail soon, and I need to find a place to live.  We're not for sure about this, because the last time he was in court, they didn't take him to jail. So he might not go this time."

    Okay, well at this point I know she's not someone I want to be affiliated with (and her in-and-out of jail boyfriend) but she continues. She really wants to tell her story.

    Her: "Right now the lease is in his name, because the landlord over there wouldn't put it in my name too because I had a recent eviction.  So it doesn't look like I have recent rental history, but I've been there a year."

    I just say "The owner doesn't like anyone to have had an eviction in the past 3 years so I don't think that would pass."

    So she moves on.  Wow, just wow.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    a few days ago I texted a reminder to all the tenants to include the water bill with the rent.  some replied,  some didn't. 

    one texted back the next morning at 4:42 am with "ok".

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    10y

    Thanks for sharing this story @Dawn Anastasi :)

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    10y

    Met an applicant, he sounded like an educated, professional guy. He submitted his online application and payment directly to our third party screening company, but we didn't get an app from his roommate and told him that. Meanwhile we got a fully completed app from two others, rented to them, and let this guy know, he wanted the app fee that he paid directly to the screening company back, we responded,"There is nothing we can send you; it says right in the application both where you sign it and where you pay for it that the application fee is non-refundable; it went directly to the third party screening company Rentapplication.net. Per terms and conditions with the screening company, we are not allowed to forward the reports they pull, it says right on application website, "Applicant acknowledges that this is not an agreement to buy a credit and/or background and/or history report and no report will be supplied."

    His response,"I understand this but you rent the house. What you did for those 40$?????"

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @George P.:

    a few days ago I texted a reminder to all the tenants to include the water bill with the rent.  some replied,  some didn't. 

    one texted back the next morning at 4:42 am with "ok".

    I don't quite get what you are saying here that indicates an APPLICANT is saying or doing something dumb.  So, you texted your tenants with a reminder to pay their rent and to send you their water bill and/or payment for their share of the water bill? The tenant texted back with a reply of OK. Sounds reasonable to me, even if it is at 4:42 am.

  • Investor / Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    Within 30 seconds of touring one of my one bedroom rentals the prospective tenant points to the corner of the room and tells his girlfriend "this is where the keg will go."

    Their agent sent an offer the next day. Me: "Sorry the unit has been rented."

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Marcia Maynard:
    Originally posted by @George P.:

    a few days ago I texted a reminder to all the tenants to include the water bill with the rent.  some replied,  some didn't. 

    one texted back the next morning at 4:42 am with "ok".

    I don't quite get what you are saying here that indicates an APPLICANT is saying or doing something dumb.  So, you texted your tenants with a reminder to pay their rent and to send you their water bill and/or payment for their share of the water bill? The tenant texted back with a reply of OK. Sounds reasonable to me, even if it is at 4:42 am.

     I actually posted in the wrong thread.  I should have posted in the current tenants say dumb things..  but that's beside the point. 

    texting back at 4:42 is never reasonable.  ever. 

  • Investor · Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2011 · 103 posts · 65 votes
    10y

     I don't think it's a big deal. My first thought when I read your post was that the guy probably works the late shift. He texted you back when he had the chance.

    But even if it might be considered rude... I don't think it's "dumb."

    BTW, if one of my tenants texted me in the middle of the night, I wouldn't know it until morning. My phone doesn't ring or buzz at night when it's in "do not disturb" mode. (Unless you're on my favorites list.)

  • Investor · Midwest · Member since 2013 · 253 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    Woman with daughter is looking at rental.

    Manager: No pets.

    Woman: We don't have any pets.

    Daughter: What about the kitten?

    __________________________________________________-

    Deny applicant based on information in credit report/background check. SS# doesn't match name, 4 bankruptcy filings in 2 years, etc.

    Call applicant to let them know (also send letter). On the phone:


    Landlord: I'm sorry, but based on information in your credit report, we are going to have to deny your application to rent.

    Applicant: Ok, no problem. Wow, so you did like a deep credit report. Whoa, trans-union and all. Ok.

    (Not sure what other type there is, but yeah).

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 151 votes
    10y

    I had a tenant applicant ask if they could hold martial arts classes in the common area (inside near front door) of the apartment complex, and if that would be included with their monthly apartment rent.

    They literally wanted to have students, martial arts numchucks, ninja star training, etc. in the entryway of the apartment complex.

    The requests never cease to amaze me. . .

  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2015 · 98 posts · 59 votes
    10y

    Ouch! 

    I just read the entire thread in one go.  Quite the education.  Hands down the most shocking quote was "I killed my dad BUT THAT WAS 4 YEARS AGO" !  Not one of them shady recent-dad-killers.

    My vote for funniest is the $250 liars fee paid in advance.

    And my little pearl of wisdom to share: don't rule out a tenant just because of an accidental house fire.  Stuff happens.  It's why there's insurance. (Landlord was a friend and kept telling me not to feel so terrible - he came out ahead in the end.)

    I gotta say, this thread is making me think real hard about whether to manage my own property....

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    we fired our agent and started showing the houses ourselves again.... so i can contribute to this thread once more.

    here's the latest:

    "I'm sorry to say but, i can't live by black people. I've had to many problems with that race. See my son is a white boy, and has been jumped by black people. Just don't trust the race."

    i just shake my head in disbelief when i hear these things.

  • Nicole O.Pro Member
    Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Glenn McCrorey:

    Me:  Why are you unable to pay the rent this month?  Did you lose your job?

    Tenant:  No, we had to be in a wedding and it was real expensive with renting tux and all... 

     Wow.  How do you handle that scenario? Late fee? Eviction?

  • Investor · Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2013 · 494 posts · 407 votes
    10y

    @Nicole O.  Late fee, and gave them an education why that was such a wrong answer.  They were pretty young.  We didn't have to evict them but they weren't there over a year.. can't remember the details.  We eventually sold that house because we didn't want to be in the low rent district.  That house is for sale currently as a matter of fact but there's no way I would buy in that part of town again.

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 151 votes
    10y

    Ever had this one:

    "Oh my gosh, this would be such a sweet place to have a party at."

    Always amazing what some applicants say.

  • St Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 575 posts · 408 votes
    10y

    Just had a prospect call. They wanted to move in January 1 because a lease somewhere else had "fallen through", volunteered that they would not give their SIN (I never brought it up), that their employers were "corporations" who would not take phone calls from landlords. Claimed to never use credit cards, so there would be no credit record to check. Other pearls, they smoke but smoke outside ( not so bad but when asked if anyone smoked got the evasive answer that "there would be no smoking inside the unit", a bit too slick). Finally I asked about pets and they said they had a pet, then I had to ask whether it was a cat or a dog. Response, "there would be no cats in the unit." So it is a dog. What is the dog's weight I asked, they said they could not possibly guess. Then finally came clean, it is a Staffordshire terrier and the tenant estimated weight at 80-100 lbs. Wikipedia's listing says Staffordshire terriers are one of several breeds commonly know as pitbulls. But it would just be a visitor! And its super well trained! All new laminate flooring on the ground floor. To cap it off there would be three unrelated people living in the unit - the condo bylaws restrict use to being a single family home. 

    Next!

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y

    The condo bylaws have to provide some definition for what constitutes a "family" I would imagine, otherwise there is "interpretation" required and interpretations will vary. For example, one town where I have rentals includes in their definition of "family" the phrase "no more than three unrelated persons"; next town over uses two in place of three. So three roommates are OK in one town but not the next. 

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    I receive an email from a tenant in one of my condos telling me he is moving to Germany and won't be renewing his lease.  He'd like his security deposit back immediately since he needs it for moving expenses.  I tell him that after he moves out my property manager will walk through the property, and as long as less than $250.00 in damage occurred we will refund his deposit in full, any amount over $250.00 will be deducted.

    The tenant emails and texts about a dozen times over the next three days with varying and increasingly desperate excuses for needing his security deposit immediately.  I finally answer with a one word reply "NO".

    The tenant emails back and asks that myself or the property manager meet him immediately for a walk through.  Since it is Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving I tell him that it won't be possible until Monday.  I ask him if he has moved out. When he says no I inform him that we do not do move out inspections until the tenant is completely out and turns over the keys.  Under civil code we have 60 days to return the deposit, but I usually make it my policy to return the deposit with 2 weeks of move out.  He emails back that this is "unacceptable"; I provide no response.

    He then contacts my property manager 4 times during the next week, but has not moved out.  Same demands, arguments, pleading from tenant, same answers from me.

    Tenant finally calls to say he moved out.  I have my property manager go over to the unit with my contractor.  I receive a list of items including the following

    1. Doggy door installed in back door

    2. Wood blinds in downstairs office/den missing

    3. One wall painted black- with white painted words over it.

    4. Various pieces of furniture, junk, clothes, boxes, etc. throughout.

    I send the tenant the total damage report, which exceeds his deposit by a small amount. The tenant emails back that he does not agree, and asks me to accept a call from him to discuss.  I then receive a collect call from Germany which I refuse to accept.  The tenant then calls me direct from Germany.  The gist of what he tells me is that he had to leave the country "in a hurry".  His friends were supposed to clean up and paint the wall, put the blinds back, etc.  If he gives me the names of his friends who were supposed to do this could I sue them and just return his deposit?

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    I had a real pushy middle eastern guy with a heavy accent look at my class A SFR ... here are a few of the highlights.

    Pulls up in a brand new Lexus ... strike 1 for me, since that right there is a down payment for a house to buy and he's looking to rent. Was a few minutes late too.

    Steps out of the car and extinguishes a cigarette on the sidewalk ... strike 2, this is a non-smoking house and he didn't bother picking up the cigarette butt.

    Looking at the house he comments "Nice kitchen, but I don't care about that ... that is for woman!" ... wow, really? OK, stike 3, you're out Captain Caveman, but I'll keep tossing some pitches for entertainment value.

    Looking at the fountain in the backyard, he asked "Is there a hose running it?" I had to explain that no there was no hose, but in fact a pump to recirculate the water.

    And the best one ... He asked about the pet policy. I told him I would consider small pets with an additional pet deposit. He said, ok, he had small dog. I asked what kind of small dog. He said a small puppy. I asked what kind of small puppy. He said a St. Bernard puppy :) 

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Oh, I almost forgot. At the end, this same guy said: "I like it, I'm going to rent this place!"

    What I thought: "Excuse me? I don't recall taking an application from you, none the less accepting your application and agreeing to rent to you."

    What I said: "You can fill out and return an application for me and I'll get back to you"

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2014 · 174 posts · 23 votes
    10y

    How did I not find this sooner, this should be a sticky. This thread is one of the most educational on this whole site. I could have saved myself some time and trouble when I was renting out my first place a year ago.

    Also wish there was a 'Landlords say dumbest things' thread as well, I'm sure there are some really dumb landlords out there, where else do all of these idiots go...

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    In my area it is common for landlords to advertise vacancies on Facebook, and for tenants looking to move to advertise that they are looking. I've read some real winners there. Here is today's:

    "Needing a place to rent asap our landlord Evicted us and we are up to date on rent he just didn't want to fix the problems in the house .. And my son and daughter n law have a premature baby in St Louis hospital" They are looking for a 3BR for "about $350". 

    [Good luck with that! Even at the "low income housing" 3 br units are $600+. And they check references.]

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Some poor woman (from her ad on craigslist about to drop a youngun any day now) posted she and her boyfriend needed a 2 bedroom apartment, trailer or house for $100 a month.  That's about the lowest request for rent I've seen (other than those willing to "work" for housekeeping, babysitting, sex services or whatever).


    Gail

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Got a voicemail from a woman today about a rental.  It started out, "I am currently renting from someone else, but she is an absolute horrible and very mean and rude landlord. She's actually returning my rent for January and I'll be moving out like as soon as possible as soon as I'm able to relocate."

    Wow.

  • Rehabber / Flipper · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2010 · 597 posts · 259 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:

    She's actually returning my rent for January and I'll be moving out like as soon as possible as soon as I'm able to relocate."

    You know it's bad when the landlord is essentially paying the tenant to move out.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.