Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
27,459 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I saw another goodie on Facebook today:

    ISO Rental House

    No more than $200 a month. Must be pet friendly. I have a SMALLER Breed boxer mix pup and a daschund pup. don't need anything huge. Just like something decent.

    Something "decent" for under $200 that will allow 2 puppies, one of them a boxer? Seriously?

  • Rick BassettBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Greater New Haven, CT · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 434 votes
    10y

    Showed one of our nicer homes to a young couple the other day. They loved it and were interested in applying, I gave them the requirements of what we would need from them; application, copies of drivers licenses, pay stubs..etc.

    Husband: "I don't have pay stubs but I make great money in my home based business as a dog breeder"

    Me (playing along): "What kind of dogs do you breed, Bassett Hounds"? 

    Husband: "Nope, American Staffordshire Terriers...about a dozen at a time per litter, I make out big money selling the pups and the sperm on the Internet"

    Me: "Too bad, I really love Bassett Hounds but we don't accept Pit Bulls in our homes"

    .....you all know the rest

    Rick Bassett

    Bassett Property Management5108 Reviews
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10y

    I like to look at the housing wanted on craigs list when I need a good laugh 

  • Lender · Washington, DC · Member since 2013 · 32 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    The email address includes the word "mayhem".

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    It's once again the time of year where students are looking for homes for the academic year commencing in September (2016).

    We have two units being advertised at the moment (one is vacant, the other will be available in March).  No less than five times this week, we have received the following inquiry:

    Prospect: "Hi, me and my two buddies are students looking for a place for fall, would we be able to sign a lease for this unit beginning in August or September?"

  • St Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 575 posts · 408 votes
    10y

    This thread is uplifting in a way, it is a message to leasing landlords that you are not alone in what you come to see in society when trying to find a reasonably sane, responsible and solvent tenant. Your eyes are not deceiving you, there really are some very strange people out there and some of them want to live in your unit. Leasing is an odd business and could give you a distorted view of life. Essentially you advertise and then go through a whole series of prospects who fall by the wayside for a variety of reasons, some pedestrian and some (lots in this thread) that are downright bizarre. And then finally you find someone who qualifies and then it is over. In your search you have to go through a host of non qualifying tenants until at the very end you find the right one. This can be a little disorientating but at least it means my favourite thread on Bigger Pockets will never be short of material, ;)

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 177 posts · 122 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    I love this thread! I'm in the process of renting a property now, and I can't count how many tenants on rental assistance say it's too small for their dining room set, their king size bed, etc. I'll have to think of a few more.

     "I got a sectional, I got a sectional" #idontgivea****

  • St Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 575 posts · 408 votes
    10y

    Prospective tenants visit the property, love it and apply. Their scanned forms are semi legible, obscuring key things like DOB and address information needed for a credit check but they send replacement scans and we run credit. Neither of them have any credit cards, he has multiple accounts in collections and she is bankrupt. Both have credit scores in the mid 400s. Twenty four hours later the tenant writes offering to pay "6-12 months" of rent in advance "if that makes things more comfortable on your end. We really really liked the house and I have no problem doing the above if that is what it would take." A decision in Ontario held that if a tenant offered such a rent deposit it was legal, but if the landlord asked for one it was ilegal. Areas of grey but the issue of what happens when the rent deposit runs out is pretty clear: as a collections guy once said to a landlord group I go to, the best guide to future behavior is past behavior. The tenant goes on to claim that they have no tax information whatsoever and no CRA Notices of Assessment available to verify income (he is self employed and so there are no pay stubs either...). I receive multiple emails a day inquiring as to the status of their application. He says he can offer a Notice of Assessment to verify income a couple of months after they get the keys. 

    I continue to advertise the unit.

  • Rick BassettBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Greater New Haven, CT · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 434 votes
    10y

    A prospective tenant looked at one of our properties and loved it, she seemed like a nice lady. We gave her the app and told her what we needed, DL...etc. She sent back an email saying that she would take the rental (we hadn't offered it to her) and included 2 attached reference letters but no application, DL, paystubs etc. 

    Me: We need the rest of the materials to process your potential tenancy.

    Her: The letters tell you everything that you need to know about me and I'm not giving my SS# to anyone, besides section 8 guarantees that you'll be paid.

    Me: We screen all tenants exactly the same way, the advertisements tell you what we look at (credit, criminal, evictions..etc) so thanks but no thanks and best of luck with that housing search.

    Rick

    Bassett Property Management5108 Reviews
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Short but sweet...

    Prospective tenant: "Do you prorate?"

    Me: "Well, when are you looking to move in, if offered tenancy?"

    Prospective tenant: "February 1st."

    Me: "That's a full months' rent."

    Prospective tenant: "Well, yeah...but with February being a shorter month and all..."

    Me: "It's a full months' rent."

  • Investor · Barre, VT · Member since 2015 · 129 posts · 96 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @David DuCille:
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    I love this thread! I'm in the process of renting a property now, and I can't count how many tenants on rental assistance say it's too small for their dining room set, their king size bed, etc. I'll have to think of a few more.

     "I got a sectional, I got a sectional" #idontgivea****

     Seriously!  I've got nice rentals for the area, and I had one woman complain there weren't granite counter tops (which I don't even have in my own home!). When I asked what she did for work she pointed to her unruly toddler and told me she was on Reach Up, which is welfare cash assistance. She then whined that the wall in the living room wasn't at a good angle for her 55" tv.. wtf! 

  • Investor · Brentwood, CA · Member since 2013 · 195 posts · 52 votes
    10y

    I'm sure there could be an entire thread just on this subject.

    I had a relative of a good tenant who looked at my 2-Bd condo in a nice area.  I was willing to rent to her, even on Sec8.  She was a single older lady living in a not so nice area. She declined because there wasn't enough room for all her stuff!

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I recently ran a credit check on one applicant who had....105 accounts in collections.  105!!!  So far that beat the old record for us of 35 from a married couple.

    Gail

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2011 · 53 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    I've had several applicants who have less income than the rent.  So for a 700 dollar apartment your income is 600 - how is that going to work?

    One guy said it was ok because he has a lot of cash income from running a recording studio in his apartment.  He's outraged that we only consider income sources with proof of income and hangs up on me.

    Another man has a rental subsidy but they require him to move into the apartment before he can even tell me what kind of subsidy it is or who to contact about it.  Sure.

    Numerous people have told me they need an apartment in the next 72 hours.  When someone is evicted they have a 72 hour notice put on their door.

    People have filled out the application online and then come into the office and told the office manager that I told them to come pick up the keys - without ever talking to me or seeing the apartment.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    I had a showing yesterday for a $645 per month apartment. A couple with 3 kids came and filled out applications. They didn't list any income and I thought they forgot that section. Nope, the woman doesn't have a job. But she's looking! And the man gets $825 in SSI.

    Yeah, that's not going to happen.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:

    I had a showing yesterday for a $645 per month apartment. A couple with 3 kids came and filled out applications. They didn't list any income and I thought they forgot that section. Nope, the woman doesn't have a job. But she's looking! And the man gets $825 in SSI.

    Yeah, that's not going to happen.

    I believe the "I" in SSI stands for Income. Guess they didn't know it was income and should have been listed in the income section (I assume you don't specifically have a section called employment income).

    They're close to qualifying on income; they only need another $1110 per month :)

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:

    I had a showing yesterday for a $645 per month apartment. A couple with 3 kids came and filled out applications. They didn't list any income and I thought they forgot that section. Nope, the woman doesn't have a job. But she's looking! And the man gets $825 in SSI.

    Yeah, that's not going to happen.

    I believe the "I" in SSI stands for Income. Guess they didn't know it was income and should have been listed in the income section (I assume you don't specifically have a section called employment income).

    They're close to qualifying on income; they only need another $1110 per month :)

     Yes I have both employment income AND other income sections on the application. But they read the requirements for income and decided to turn in applications anyway. Maybe they thought I would make exceptions for them and let them live for free. I never know what craziness people are thinking.

  • Rental Property Investor · Whitefish, MT · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    How about showing up for listing that clearly says "NON SMOKING" and then standing on the porch when you arrive asking the the landlord to "wait a minute" while you finish your cigarette.  

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I had a young fella call me three times in two days wanting to see my smallest rental; a 2 bedroom, 1 bath house.  It would be for he, his wife and their 1 young child.  Fine.  Said I'd meet them at 4 when I got off work.  He showed up with his uncle instead of the wife who was at work.

    Turns out the uncle would be moving in too.  Income was some unknown figure from the wife (who was at work and the two didn't live together so the guy had no idea what the wife made), his income which was from being paid "under the table" (doing what he would not elaborate on) and the uncles disability.  

    Uncle was currently parked on someones couch and commented he "had to get out of there" and had the money for the rent "right then and there" if I'd take him in.  Rent is $625 a month; security deposit is the same as one months rent; uncle gets $860 in disability and who knows what the other two make.

    Both were highly disappointed when I gave them an application to fill out and were required to each fork over $15 for a credit check and proof of income.  They promised to return the next day with all the information when I was showing the house again but, of course never showed up.

    Never did figure where the uncle was planning on sleeping since it was just a 2 bedroom place.  I suppose he'd be going back to living on a couch or perhaps sleeping in the claw foot tub in the bathroom.

    Now this little house isn't anything special but we did work hard on it and it's rather amazing the number of folks who think we'll just turn it over to complete strangers without having them bother to fill out an application, run a credit or criminal check or provide any sort of security deposit.


    Gail

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    10y

    It's been a while since I had a new one... Sweet woman with teenage kids, loves the house, takes app,  usually we never hear from those people again. Next day, sweet woman calls.  Meet at the house, gets out her application and starts telling the story about how she's never had any evictions but she's breaking the lease because of issues at the apartment complex, the manager is being "brought up on charges."  We have very good court records available online here, so I asked for the manager's name. Well, she can't recall the name, so I look up the apartment complex. Lo and behold there are three eviction action against this tenant at that complex, most recently in November. There are a few other eviction action at other properties including, most impressively, one from the Housing Authority. ( more commonly known as section 8) Less comically there was one the name of her teenage son who can't of been any more than 14 or 15 at the time she got that on his public record. I flip the computer around and show here the court record. For a brief moment her eyes looked like the possessed guy in Ghostbusters then she pulls it back and sweetly says "if you want me and my children living out on the street, I guess that's the Lord's will. " I was completely creeped out for a moment and I've been doing this for a long time.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Deborah Burian:

    ... she pulls it back and sweetly says "if you want me and my children living out on the street, I guess that's the Lord's will. " ...

    They're so religious except when it comes to paying their rent ...

    And it's not the Lord's will - it's their own lack of will in paying the rent ...

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by @Deborah Burian:

    ... she pulls it back and sweetly says "if you want me and my children living out on the street, I guess that's the Lord's will. " ...

    They're so religious except when it comes to paying their rent ...

    And it's not the Lord's will - it's their own lack of will in paying the rent ...

     I don't know . . . perhaps it is His will. After all, 2Thessalonians 3:10 says "If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat." So maybe a corollary would be "If anyone will not pay rent, he shall live in the street."
    :-)

  • Investor · Member since 2015 · 222 posts · 173 votes
    10y

    I count my blessings that I don't have anything to contribute to this thread, but I do want to thank everyone for the "comic relief".

    Whenever I am bored, I come to this thread for laughs.  As much as I would like to think that these stories are hyperbole by the author, I know that they are not.  There really are applicants like this out there.  I'm just glad that my applicant pool does not include them.  

    @Melissa W you had me laughing out loud throughout your post!!!

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:

    I had a showing yesterday for a $645 per month apartment. A couple with 3 kids came and filled out applications. They didn't list any income and I thought they forgot that section. Nope, the woman doesn't have a job. But she's looking! And the man gets $825 in SSI.

    Yeah, that's not going to happen.

    Follow up -- the person texted me a picture of their balance inquiry on their bank account to show that they had money.  The balance was $769.99.  After paying the security deposit of $650, that only leaves them 119.99. But they are still wanting the place!

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:

    I had a showing yesterday for a $645 per month apartment. A couple with 3 kids came and filled out applications. They didn't list any income and I thought they forgot that section. Nope, the woman doesn't have a job. But she's looking! And the man gets $825 in SSI.

    Yeah, that's not going to happen.

    Follow up -- the person texted me a picture of their balance inquiry on their bank account to show that they had money.  The balance was $769.99.  After paying the security deposit of $650, that only leaves them 119.99. But they are still wanting the place!

    Dawn:

    You must give them a few points for tenacity, no matter how mis-focused.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.