Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
26,980 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Roy N.:
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:

    I had a showing yesterday for a $645 per month apartment. A couple with 3 kids came and filled out applications. They didn't list any income and I thought they forgot that section. Nope, the woman doesn't have a job. But she's looking! And the man gets $825 in SSI.

    Yeah, that's not going to happen.

    Follow up -- the person texted me a picture of their balance inquiry on their bank account to show that they had money.  The balance was $769.99.  After paying the security deposit of $650, that only leaves them 119.99. But they are still wanting the place!

    Dawn:

    You must give them a few points for tenacity, no matter how mis-focused.

    Yes, but then they lose those bonus points and even more for financial budget STUPIDITY. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    My favorite was a lady I met at a home on a Friday night. Who had seen DETAILED pictures. Got to my $600 a month property and couldn't believe we expected her to live on new carpet. 

    Her offer was simple. All we had to do to earn the right of housing this princess was install hardwood.... In my 600 rental... Right

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 531 posts · 266 votes
    10y

    I think I may have seen and heard it all. I will never forget the lady who pulled up in her brand new BMW SUV, looked at the apartment and then asked me if the Landlord will accept a section 8 voucher. I told her of course they would accept the voucher, but do you mind telling me how you came to own a BMW SUV while existing on public housing assistance? Forgot what she said but I gave her plate # to the Landlord who happens to be a Chicago police officer. Needless to say he declined her application. 

  • Rick BassettBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Greater New Haven, CT · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 434 votes
    10y

    Any prospective tenant that uses the words 'mold' and 'slumlord' to describe their former rental unit and landlord is automatically disqualified. I don't need that kind of drama in my life.

    For fun I usually follow up with this question: When did you stop paying your rent? Once I hear those two disqualifiers. The answer is almost always that rent for some period was withheld.

    Rick

    Bassett Property Management5108 Reviews
  • Investor · Titusville, PA · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 150 votes
    10y

    Don't joke - Man with snake in restaurant calls it a service animal

    NIXA, Mo. - Customers at a restaurant say an unexpected guest in a nearby booth was unappetizing and downright scary. It was carried in the door and allowed to stay through dinner because the man wearing the snake called it his service animal.

     I believe it.  We would have to allow a pony or a chicken our anything else on the charter buses I drive if they call it a service animal.  Allow people to be stupid or get sued. 

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Just the week I've had two (not just one but two) different applicants call all excited about my little 2 bedroom, 1 bath rental and wanting to rent it IMMEDIATELY (sight unseen) because they've got their.....(drum roll)....tax refund just now.

    They appear rather crestfallen when they are told it's probably a good thing that the SEE the place first and then will be required to fill out an application and go through the screening process of credit check, criminal check and proof of income business.

    I figure I'll never hear from them again.  I also figure if I rented to them the tax money would be the last money I'd ever get out of them.

    Gail

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 720 posts · 439 votes
    10y

    My best went like this:

    "I will pay the security deposit and first month rent three weeks from now when I get the check from my lawyer". 

    "That will work, and why are you getting a check from a lawyer?"

    "Oh, I fell on the back porch stairs, broke my leg and sued my landlord for $25,000, plus all my medical bills and loss of income."

    "OMG, how that happened, was there ice on the steps?"

    "No, however I know that you can always go after the landlord for things like that."

    Needless to say, she was not approved!

    Since, then, I make a point to find out exactly what is the real reason a tenant moves and ask them what's in their credit even before running their application. 

    Just this winter had another interesting one:

    "My credit is not good, however if you wait one month the eviction will be removed from my credit."

    "Wow, what happened?"

    "Oh, I did not pay my rent for 6 months and when my landlady took me to court, I agreed to move out after couple more months if she removes the eviction from my credit, which she agreed".

    It's safe for you to assume, that I did not take that application either. 

    It takes only a bit of due diligence from a landlord to make sure they get tenants that will pay their rent.

  • Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2013 · 47 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    I'm so glad I turned off the TV tonight and found this hysterical topic on Dumb Things Applicants Say!  Oh man...it was such an eye opener.  I loved the sec 8 applicant who says she's not on welfare, and when asked how her rent gets paid, she says that they just print the money!  Also, I'm pretty sure you won't get the place when you mention you sued your last landlord!  Many happy tenant screenings everyone! 

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I wouldn't put this in the "dumb" category but rather in the "instant screen out" category (at least for me).

    When I put an ad on Zillow/trulia/hotpads, etc. I include details on what the application process is and what I look for; application required (cost of such), income at least 3 times the rent; no history of evictions, no large accounts in collections, references from previous landlords if renting, etc., year lease, military clause added for active duty military.  Pretty detailed information.

    Yesterday I got one of those "I'd like more information..." notices through Hotpads.  I recognized the name from someone who had sent me similar notices at least twice before.

    As before I reply by asking what further information can I provide them.

    They write back and ask "what is your application process".

    (Sigh).

    I write back and state this information is in the ad but if it is more convenient they can email me their phone number (or call my number in the ad) and we can discuss this further.

    The next email I get I'm called "unprofessional" and because of this, they will continue to look elsewhere for rental property.

    There were many replies that ran through my head at the time but I just wished them good luck in their search for a rental.  Perhaps the next one they view they will  read what is written in the ad.


    Gail

  • Cornwall, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    I'm just stunned you charge people to apply. Is that common practice? I've never heard of that before. I can't imagine applying for different apt's at 25$ a pop. That can really add up. Do the people who get turned down get their money back?
  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kimberley Thompson:

    I'm just stunned you charge people to apply. Is that common practice? I've never heard of that before. I can't imagine applying for different apt's at 25$ a pop. That can really add up. Do the people who get turned down get their money back?

     i am stunned not everyone charges, like they should. oh wait, most landlords just want a warm body in the house and a promise to pay.

    answer to your question - no, they dont. we keep it and spend it in Hawaii. why do you think we are so rich?

  • North Augusta, SC · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    This is hilarious lol Kudos to your professionalism :)
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Gail K.:

    I wouldn't put this in the "dumb" category but rather in the "instant screen out" category (at least for me).

    When I put an ad on Zillow/trulia/hotpads, etc. I include details on what the application process is and what I look for; application required (cost of such), income at least 3 times the rent; no history of evictions, no large accounts in collections, references from previous landlords if renting, etc., year lease, military clause added for active duty military.  Pretty detailed information.

    Yesterday I got one of those "I'd like more information..." notices through Hotpads.  I recognized the name from someone who had sent me similar notices at least twice before.

    As before I reply by asking what further information can I provide them.

    They write back and ask "what is your application process".

    (Sigh).

    I write back and state this information is in the ad but if it is more convenient they can email me their phone number (or call my number in the ad) and we can discuss this further.

    The next email I get I'm called "unprofessional" and because of this, they will continue to look elsewhere for rental property.

    There were many replies that ran through my head at the time but I just wished them good luck in their search for a rental.  Perhaps the next one they view they will  read what is written in the ad.


    Gail

    This is symptomatic of the tenant who is sending stuff to every possibility, and they can't recall any details about anything due to the quantity of inquiries they made. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kimberley Thompson:

    I'm just stunned you charge people to apply. Is that common practice? I've never heard of that before. I can't imagine applying for different apt's at 25$ a pop. That can really add up. Do the people who get turned down get their money back?

    The zero landlording experience shows. 

    @George P. neglected to explicitly state / indicate that he was being sarcastic. There is a real cost to processing a tenant application, and the $25 fee mentioned just covers the costs of the "basic" background checks - credit, criminal and eviction history. Employment verification costs even more when it has to be performed through employers who outsource using a service such as The Work Number - those services charge upwards of $20 just to spit out a few facts about employment of the applicant. 

    So if you ever do become a landlord, you will quickly find that the large number of "dud" applicants can become a significant expense to the landlord who does not charge a fee that at least covers the costs. 

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kimberley Thompson:

    I'm just stunned you charge people to apply. Is that common practice? I've never heard of that before. I can't imagine applying for different apt's at 25$ a pop. That can really add up. Do the people who get turned down get their money back?

    The reason for the application fee is to cover our expense of processing the prospective renter's application. It takes up quite a bit of our time and expertise to properly screen a tenant. We check income/employment and personal references ourselves. We utilize the services of a third party agency to check the credit history and legal history and they charge us for their service. Our application fee is $40, but we only process one application at a time. As soon as we choose an applicant and they accept, we refund the application fees to the others whose applications we did not fully process.

  • Accountant · Hopwood, PA · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 92 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Washington:

    Short but sweet...

    Prospective tenant: "Do you prorate?"

    Me: "Well, when are you looking to move in, if offered tenancy?"

    Prospective tenant: "February 1st."

    Me: "That's a full months' rent."

    Prospective tenant: "Well, yeah...but with February being a shorter month and all..."

    Me: "It's a full months' rent."

    You should've taken him/her up on the deal so long as they were okay with you prorating January, March, May, etc... because they are longer months and all....

  • Cornwall, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Maybe things are different in the states, and maybe even in a different part of Canada than where I live.  I have never, ever heard of a landlord asking for an application fee. Even the rules for asking for first and last month's rent are different.  In Quebec where I'm originally from, it is illegal to ask for the last month's rent in advance.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kimberley Thompson:

    Maybe things are different in the states, and maybe even in a different part of Canada than where I live.  I have never, ever heard of a landlord asking for an application fee. Even the rules for asking for first and last month's rent are different.  In Quebec where I'm originally from, it is illegal to ask for the last month's rent in advance.

    That is why it's important to check with local resources. A site such as http://www.lawnow.org/renting-in-canada/ compares residential rental laws in different parts of Canada, but does not cover every topic or every jurisdiction. If and when you decide to own residential rental property, you will want to find a reliable local resource who can guide you in landlord-tenant law for your jurisdiction. Now, let's get back to the topic of Tenant Applicants and the dumbest things they say....

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    @Jon Behlke

    ...and maybe give myself a Leap Year bonus.  

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kimberley Thompson:

    Maybe things are different in the states, and maybe even in a different part of Canada than where I live.  I have never, ever heard of a landlord asking for an application fee. Even the rules for asking for first and last month's rent are different.  In Quebec where I'm originally from, it is illegal to ask for the last month's rent in advance.

    Kimberly:

    We charge a nominal - $20.00 - application fee.  It covers approximately half the cost of processing the application.  It is also a wonderful tool of self-selection - those who have bad credit or evictions in their past will usually not apply {though sometimes they do}.

    The matter of deposits varies across jurisdictions in Canada.  We operate in three provinces at the moment. In NB & NS we are allowed to ask for a security deposit which cannot exceed the amount of one month's rent (NB) or 1/2 month's rent (NS).  In NB this deposit must be remitted to the Office of the Rentalsman who holds it in trust.  In NS we hold the deposit, but must pay interest on the amount.

    As you mentioned, in Québec you are not permitted to request a security deposit.

    In Ontario you may request a rent deposit - which is essentially the last month's rent.  This deposit is to be used only for rent and not for damages to the rental property.

    We've yet to own units in the other provinces, but you can easily lookup the regulations on-line.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I have a rental for $1,150 and received an email that said "I need a house or a condo,  but can afford only $750" 

    I sometimes wonder what these people are thinking..  you don't see me going to the furniture store and saying "I need this 450 couch but can pay just $150".

  • Investor · Barre, VT · Member since 2015 · 129 posts · 96 votes
    10y

    I've got 2 vacancies right now.. all but one have told me they can move in right now because they just got their tax refund.. wtf, it's only February10th, I haven't even thought about my taxes yet! 

    One said she would pay first, security (both required), and then an extra month and a half of rent if she could move in this week.. rent is $950, which means her tax refund was roughly  $3500 and I'll never see another dine from them. No thanks! 

  • Investor · Titusville, PA · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 150 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @George P.:

    I have a rental for $1,150 and received an email that said "I need a house or a condo,  but can afford only $750" 

    I sometimes wonder what these people are thinking..  you don't see me going to the furniture store and saying "I need this 450 couch but can pay just $150".

      Perhaps you should be.  Negotiating can be done anywhere.  I negotiate all the time.  At various chain retailers, I have gotten a stereo system for 35% off, a refrigerator for 15% off, a better deal on a front loader washing machine, etc.  Heck, I even have pitted two furniture stores against each other to give me the best deal on a nice office desk, and have gotten free meals at restaurants in exchange for bringing more people than just myself.  

    Life is a negotiation.  Make the best one you can.  It's more fun that way.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 408 posts · 90 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by @Kimberley Thompson:

    I'm just stunned you charge people to apply. Is that common practice? I've never heard of that before. I can't imagine applying for different apt's at 25$ a pop. That can really add up. Do the people who get turned down get their money back?

    The zero landlording experience shows. 

    @George P. neglected to explicitly state / indicate that he was being sarcastic. There is a real cost to processing a tenant application, and the $25 fee mentioned just covers the costs of the "basic" background checks - credit, criminal and eviction history. Employment verification costs even more when it has to be performed through employers who outsource using a service such as The Work Number - those services charge upwards of $20 just to spit out a few facts about employment of the applicant. 

    So if you ever do become a landlord, you will quickly find that the large number of "dud" applicants can become a significant expense to the landlord who does not charge a fee that at least covers the costs. 

     100% Charging an applicant makes them commit, most renters are not organized or responsible people and commitment scares them. They have tons of time to waste and have no problem wasting your as well. I find simply not letting them choose a time and cater to your schedule will eliminate huge numbers of people. I find it hilarious getting ad or sign calls "hey Iam very interested and would like to rent this place its perfect can I come by tonight?. to which I reply no we hold all showings on such and such days from x to x time. 90% of them never give me an answer. Experience tells me anyone not willing to move their schedule around is not very serious about the unit. Sometimes I will try and schedule something before 8am on a weekend, that really tests motivation!

  • Property Manager · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2015 · 250 posts · 258 votes
    10y

    April of last year I had a dream tenant applicant. Had a LARGE retirement fixed income. Knew he liked the area and was only switching to me for better location. No pets, great credit and was a writer for fun so he was quiet. No joke, I had sent him a text letting him know I wanted him to setup a time to come sign a lease. His response? "Yeah sure that's great. Thanks! By the way, I forgot to ask, is it cool that I smoke pot daily?"  As Ohio doesn't even have medical use permitted my heart broke as I had to tell him thanks but no thanks. Fortunately I had a list of qualified applicants so I went on to the next.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.