Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
27,237 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Anthony R.:

    April of last year I had a dream tenant applicant. Had a LARGE retirement fixed income. Knew he liked the area and was only switching to me for better location. No pets, great credit and was a writer for fun so he was quiet. No joke, I had sent him a text letting him know I wanted him to setup a time to come sign a lease. His response? "Yeah sure that's great. Thanks! By the way, I forgot to ask, is it cool that I smoke pot daily?"  As Ohio doesn't even have medical use permitted my heart broke as I had to tell him thanks but no thanks. Fortunately I had a list of qualified applicants so I went on to the next.

    Wouldn't count that as dumb, maybe just not your (understandable) preference. I don't allow smoking in my units but I would take that applicant in a cocaine heartbeat! If he were to stay a while, pot would be legal before he ends up moving!

  • Property Manager · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2015 · 250 posts · 258 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:
    Originally posted by @Anthony R.:

    April of last year I had a dream tenant applicant. Had a LARGE retirement fixed income. Knew he liked the area and was only switching to me for better location. No pets, great credit and was a writer for fun so he was quiet. No joke, I had sent him a text letting him know I wanted him to setup a time to come sign a lease. His response? "Yeah sure that's great. Thanks! By the way, I forgot to ask, is it cool that I smoke pot daily?"  As Ohio doesn't even have medical use permitted my heart broke as I had to tell him thanks but no thanks. Fortunately I had a list of qualified applicants so I went on to the next.

    Wouldn't count that as dumb, maybe just not your (understandable) preference. I don't allow smoking in my units but I would take that applicant in a cocaine heartbeat! If he were to stay a while, pot would be legal before he ends up moving!

    I probably would have been fine turning an ignorant eye to it but to blaitently tell me he plans to do something that's illegal in one of my units I can't tolerate. What precedence does that set? LoL 

  • Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 197 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Anthony R.:
    Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:
    Originally posted by @Anthony R.:

    April of last year I had a dream tenant applicant. Had a LARGE retirement fixed income. Knew he liked the area and was only switching to me for better location. No pets, great credit and was a writer for fun so he was quiet. No joke, I had sent him a text letting him know I wanted him to setup a time to come sign a lease. His response? "Yeah sure that's great. Thanks! By the way, I forgot to ask, is it cool that I smoke pot daily?"  As Ohio doesn't even have medical use permitted my heart broke as I had to tell him thanks but no thanks. Fortunately I had a list of qualified applicants so I went on to the next.

    Wouldn't count that as dumb, maybe just not your (understandable) preference. I don't allow smoking in my units but I would take that applicant in a cocaine heartbeat! If he were to stay a while, pot would be legal before he ends up moving!

    I probably would have been fine turning an ignorant eye to it but to blaitently tell me he plans to do something that's illegal in one of my units I can't tolerate. What precedence does that set? LoL 

    Maybe you're looking at this from too much of a LL perspective, he was trying to be honest with you about what you were getting from him as a tenant. He probably figures its better to tell you now then to have to move out in a few months if you don't approve.

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    "I have a rental for $1,150 and received an email that said "I need a house or a condo, but can afford only $750"

    I sometimes wonder what these people are thinking.. you don't see me going to the furniture store and saying "I need this 450 couch but can pay just $150"."

    Then you have the folks who answer an ad for a two bedroom, one bath house and tell you they are looking for a three bedroom, two bath home.

    What would they like me to do?  I can't stretch a two bedroom house into a three bedroom.

    I want to tell them so badly we could run a hose out in the backyard and rent a PortaPotty and call it a second bathroom but even in the deep south taking a shower or tiptoeing out there in the middle of the night to do their business might be a little chilly in the middle of winter.

    Gail

  • Investor · Arcadia, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Here are mine

    1) "I would like to rent your place to open a senior care center.  My manager and helper will live there and my clients (older folks) move in and out."

    2) "Do you rent to 5 college students, all girls" 

    3) "Do you allow pit bull" 

  • Real Estate Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 78 posts · 44 votes
    10y

    Caller:  I saw your listing on Zillow, how much would you sell it for?

    Me: I'm sorry, the house is for rent, not for sale.

    Caller:  I know, name your price.

    Me: $130,000

    Caller:  Well I saw a house at 123 xyz street and it was listed at $105,000.

    Me:  Maybe you should call them?

    Caller:  My credit is too poor to purchase.

    Me:  I'm not sure you understand how this works...

    About a year later I listed the property for rent again.  She called and asked the EXACT SAME QUESTIONS.

  • Real Estate Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 78 posts · 44 votes
    10y

    Wow, just read this whole thread.  Tons of laughs and groans.  If there is a thread for crazy things people have seen other landlords do please refer me there, I've got a couple good ones.  Here's a few more interesting tenant application situations/statements I've run into:

     "a $250 pet fee?! What if I have him put down?"  Thanks for the clear insight into how you honor the commitments you make, jerk!

    "I only rent places with Samsung appliances."  Not from me you don't!

    "I don't see anywhere I could fit a grand piano..." Me either!

    "I'm concerned that your two bedrooms don't have enough space for us, but your three bedrooms just have too many rooms."  Allow me to introduce you to our Goldilocks Collection, it's juuuust right...

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    I had someone call about a condo I'm showing and want to move "ASAP". The name sounds familiar so I check my records and yes, received an app from this lady and her boyfriend back in October for another condo nearby. The boyfriend had a string of arrests on his record.  So, nope!

  • Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 870 posts · 345 votes
    10y

    I loved this thread. This was the equivalent of a crash course.  Thanks to all for the good info and the laughs.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    From my 36 years in real estate

    "I don't have a pet.  Do I have to get a pet to get the pet deposit?"

    " If my application is rejected do I get double my application fee back?"

    After his Amex card was declined "Well, you know, that American Express card don't stay good forever"

    "Do you have anything closer to New York?". The property he looked at is in Houston, Texas

    " If I get the property do I use the front door or the back door?"

    "Can you do my tax return?"

    "How many units is this property?". It's a single family home

    Possibly the best one was the applicant who said nothing. Totally drunk, he came forward to shake my hand, missed, fell, hit his head on the kitchen counter and was knocked out cold.

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Rock Hill, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 597 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Samantha Hiscock:

    I've got 2 vacancies right now.. all but one have told me they can move in right now because they just got their tax refund.. wtf, it's only February10th, I haven't even thought about my taxes yet! 

    One said she would pay first, security (both required), and then an extra month and a half of rent if she could move in this week.. rent is $950, which means her tax refund was roughly  $3500 and I'll never see another dine from them. No thanks! 

    Keep in mind most regular folks only have money ( extra ) in their hand during tax season. Most Americans have less then 1K in the saving on average. I feel you though on the part once the Tax money is gone the struggle to get rent will be tougher.

  • Investor · Jenison, MI · Member since 2016 · 158 posts · 79 votes
    10y

    I LOVE this thread!!!

    My favorite story. I get a phone call at 9pm for a duplex i had for rent

    ME: Hi this is Nick

    Caller: Hey yo, im calling about that duplex, my moms just kicked me out for selling drugs out the back door so ima need a place I got money right now

    ME: Well I have an aplication that is $30 upfont fee that I could meet with you about! 

  • Investor · Barre, VT · Member since 2015 · 129 posts · 96 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Alex Franks:
    Originally posted by @Samantha Hiscock:

    I've got 2 vacancies right now.. all but one have told me they can move in right now because they just got their tax refund.. wtf, it's only February10th, I haven't even thought about my taxes yet! 

    One said she would pay first, security (both required), and then an extra month and a half of rent if she could move in this week.. rent is $950, which means her tax refund was roughly  $3500 and I'll never see another dine from them. No thanks! 

    Keep in mind most regular folks only have money ( extra ) in their hand during tax season. Most Americans have less then 1K in the saving on average. I feel you though on the part once the Tax money is gone the struggle to get rent will be tougher.

    Absolutely,  but this couple made a combined total of 1,300 per month. The rent is 950. They had a new baby. 350 for diapers, gas, insurance,  and electricity seems impossible even with food stamps. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Anthony R.:
    Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:
    Originally posted by @Anthony R.:

    April of last year I had a dream tenant applicant. Had a LARGE retirement fixed income. Knew he liked the area and was only switching to me for better location. No pets, great credit and was a writer for fun so he was quiet. No joke, I had sent him a text letting him know I wanted him to setup a time to come sign a lease. His response? "Yeah sure that's great. Thanks! By the way, I forgot to ask, is it cool that I smoke pot daily?"  As Ohio doesn't even have medical use permitted my heart broke as I had to tell him thanks but no thanks. Fortunately I had a list of qualified applicants so I went on to the next.

    Wouldn't count that as dumb, maybe just not your (understandable) preference. I don't allow smoking in my units but I would take that applicant in a cocaine heartbeat! If he were to stay a while, pot would be legal before he ends up moving!

    I probably would have been fine turning an ignorant eye to it but to blaitently tell me he plans to do something that's illegal in one of my units I can't tolerate. What precedence does that set? LoL 

    I would never encourage any landlord to rent to someone who admits to illegal behavior. Lets completely set aside a debate about whether pot should be legal, because as landlords and property owners we are not here to lead the legalization charge. This guy actually said he plans to conduct illegal behavior in your property every day. There is legal risk to rent to someone who tells you they plan to conduct illegal behavior and yes they are dumb for telling you that. What happens if this guy turns out to be a dealer and he is arrested? Then he tells the police you were aware. The police talk to you and you say, yes I knew he smoked pot but I didn't know he was a dealer. Maybe you don't get charged with anything, but why put yourself in that situation to begin with. 

    I have had dancers apply to rent houses who entertain at home. I am sure they could pay rent because the profession pays well. I have also had a bookie apply who made more cash than me but never files a tax return. I had a section 8 person tell me she got child support under the table to avoid losing her section 8. I said no to all of them. People who don't respect the law will have no more respect for me or my property. If they get caught, it only means trouble for me. Nothing good comes from going down this road. I am not a do-gooder and I could really care less what these people do, since it doesn't harm me. The point is just they just need to do it someplace else.

  • Accountant · Hopwood, PA · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 92 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @George P.:

    I have a rental for $1,150 and received an email that said "I need a house or a condo,  but can afford only $750" 

    I sometimes wonder what these people are thinking..  you don't see me going to the furniture store and saying "I need this 450 couch but can pay just $150".

     My father in law gets this a lot, and I've figured out that most of the time, the people aren't trying to get the place listed for a few hundred bucks less, most of the time they're trying to see if you have another property that fits what they're looking for that they haven't seen the ad for.  Some of them are that dumb though.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jon Behlke:
    Originally posted by @George P.:

    I have a rental for $1,150 and received an email that said "I need a house or a condo,  but can afford only $750" 

    I sometimes wonder what these people are thinking..  you don't see me going to the furniture store and saying "I need this 450 couch but can pay just $150".

     My father in law gets this a lot, and I've figured out that most of the time, the people aren't trying to get the place listed for a few hundred bucks less, most of the time they're trying to see if you have another property that fits what they're looking for that they haven't seen the ad for.  Some of them are that dumb though.

    That's called "Consumer Feedback", Jon. It's all a part of marketing, and advertising an available rental *IS* "marketing".

    In essence, the prospective customer is saying, "nice product, bad price", but as you suggest, they may also be saying, in a different way, "Do you have anything more affordable?"

    David J Dachtera

    "Success is not a destination. Failure is not an event. Success is a process, failure is a choice."
    - DJ Benedict

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 323 votes
    10y

        Before I started screening over the phone I got this tenant.

    She came to the house by herself.  As we entered each room, she fell on her knees and said, "Glory, thank you lord, this is what I need".  Next room, repeat.  As we are upstairs, I hear car pull up outside and someone comes in the door.   I'm a little nervous, because I don't know if this is someone related to her or someone completely different.  Well, absolutely true, this woman comes walking through the house, without saying a word to either of us, carrying and eating a plate of French fires.  Dropping a few here and there.  While this is going on, the lady I was showing the house to starts talking about why she needs this house.  Her mother is on her deathbed and needs a house in her final days/months.  It's going to be her, her daughter, and her mother. That when she talks about French fry girl and this is her daughter, but not the one moving in.  She asks for an application and I tell here the fee is $25 per adult. "Oops, did I say my daughter is moving in?  It's just me and my mother."  I ask her about income and she says she is unemployed and living off her mother's Social Security.  The very mother she expects to die. 

        At this point, I tell her I am not going to be able to take her application.  "Oh, take my application and pray to the lord to come in your sleep and let me have this house."  She keeps going on and on like and I regretfully take her application to get her to leave.   I ended up sending her back her application fee with a note saying I accepted someone else's application before I could process hers. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    10y

    @Mike S.Wow!

    I'm surprised big government doesn't have a a program where they educate tenants on what not to say when applying to live in a rental. At least not yet...

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    We went out to dinner last night and when we got back home there was this message on the answering machine:

    "Hi my name is ______ (it was a little hard to understand as it sounded as if she was slurring her words a bit); I'm about to be evicted and I'd like to rent a cozy little house".

    OK...just not mine.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Had a couple come to a showing today.  They seemed to like the place.  Then I asked for their proof of incomes and the man said he gets paid in cash and doesn't have any proof of incomes.  I tell him I need something in writing such as a bank statement.  He said he doesn't put his money in the bank.  Then he starts on a rant about how everyone wants "proof of incomes" and why doesn't anyone believe in cold, hard cash, he makes a decent living and he can support his family, yadda yadda and on and on.  The woman was just yelling at him telling him to shut up and how he's embarrassing her.  It was an odd situation.

  • Marc RamsayPro Member
    Investor · Ojochal, Costa Rica · Member since 2013 · 287 posts · 164 votes
    10y

    I bet the IRS would love to audit someone like that.. :)

  • Investor · Barre, VT · Member since 2015 · 129 posts · 96 votes
    10y

    I had some winners this week. I was asking my typical questions and was surprised at their ignorance.  

    "Have you ever been evicted?"

    "Um, I'm not sure. How would I know?" 

    "Well, has a landlord ever taken you to court?"

    "Yeah! And the judge told me I had to get out!!" 

    "Then you've been evicted"

    "But that was a while ago, like back in December!!" 

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    we have been having trouble renting #22. it's been on the market for over 2 weeks and have had 33 emails/contacts through hotpads/zillow/trulia. those sites have made it super easy for morons to just click "contact the manager now" and a generic email comes to us.

    our ad CLEARLY says "no section 8" and it's the first thing listed.

    so we get an auto "email" from a person saying she is "interested". we reply with "when would you like to see it"? she replies, "it's ok, i am section 8 and you don't accept section 8".

  • Investor · Taylorsville, KY · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    I once had a guy call and said his name was "Scrappy". I could hear his girlfriend in the background telling him not to use his nickname. For some reason a mental image of some scrawny guy in a wife beater crashing though the window of my freshly rehabed house, flashed through my mind.

  • Investor · Plano, TX · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 102 votes
    10y

    "have you ever been evicted?"...No Absolutely not! they respond. Quick search shows 3 evictions in 5 years with one pending!

    The following one didn't happen to me but did happen to someone I personally know:

    Tenant applies for an apartment. Shows up after work. He is a chef at the local restaurant. It's a small town so the landlord asks some people around town if they know him. Turns out, he is not a chef an actually has no job. The kicker is, he showed up in a chefs uniform, had food stains on the clothes, and smelled like a kitchen.

    Some people truly are con artists and will go to great lengths to sell their lie to you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.