Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
27,542 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Adam Anderson:

    Thanks Roy, I guess I could bring in a few more bucks doing weekly but don't think its the kind of tenant I'm looking for.  Do people sign 1 year leases an collect rent weekly?

     Adam,

    Around here, an annual lease automatically carries monthly payments.  Weekly payments are almost exclusively with a periodic (weekly, bi-weekly) tenancy.  Our experience has been that the additional overhead of a weekly rental period is generally not worth the small additional rent you might collect.

    The only reason we engage in weekly rentals of furnished rooms in our student house is that most our tenants are international students who leave at the end of the academic year, leaving the rooms idle.  We also have a ready market for short-term stays: students who attend the university during the summer for shorter courses, conference attendees, sports camps, etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    This is one of my favorite threads of all time!!

    My favorite comment from a prospective tenant so far is "you don't do background checks do you?"

    Well my friend... I do! But for some reason if I haven't been so far, I'm certainly gonna start with you haha

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    It's applicant hunting season!

    I got a text from someone "Hi do you still have the 3 BR?"

    I text back "Which one are you referring to? I have three 3 bedroom places available right now."

    Reply:  "Anyone...i have the cash now im trying to move in ASAP"

    Guess who's probably getting evicted and needs a place right away???

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Sometimes you just need to applaud people's inability to filter themselves.

    Applicant: Would we be able to pay the deposit in two instalments?

    Me:  Absolutely, but both need to occur before you get the keys.

    Applicant: We were planning to use the deposit from our current apartment, but the landlord probably won't be giving it back.

    Me [filtering myself]:  You will have a few days to figure out your budget while we process your application.  [Thinking in my head: I bet the current landlord not releasing their security deposit is just the start].

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    I had a couple apply for a rental that was $800/month.  I had to turn them down because my criteria (which was in writing both in the ad and posted at the showing) was that income had to be a minimum of 3x the rental amount, or $2,400 per month.

    So I'm having another showing for a different place that rents for $900/month with the same criteria of income being 3x or $2,700 in this case and these people came wanting to apply.  I asked them if their income changed and they said no.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Okay, I think I have one that takes the cake.

    Sometimes I have back-to-back showings, well at least leaving 1/2 hour in between them to lock up one unit then get the other one opened and such.  Today I had one showing from 10am - 11am then the next from 11:30am - 12:30pm.  The units were only 5 blocks from each other.

    So I'm at the first showing and it's about 11am. There's a woman there who puts in her application and wants to know if I'm also showing the next one at 11:30.  I say yes I am.  So she asks me, "Can I get a ride over there?"

    In my head I'm like "whaaaaat?"  Out loud I just say no.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Dawn Anastasi

    Dawn's taxi service ... $1/block. :-)

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Adam Anderson:

    Thanks Roy, I guess I could bring in a few more bucks doing weekly but don't think its the kind of tenant I'm looking for.  Do people sign 1 year leases an collect rent weekly?

    I had tenants sign a 3-month lease and agreed they could pay weekly.  Long story short, I was only looking for a shorter term tenant because I was coming into "make a ton more money on AirBnB" season.  And the husband was on contract work and they would only be in the city a few months.  So it worked out great for everyone.

    Weekly was there choice, not mine.  But then when I figured out I'd actually end up getting an extra week of rent that way, I was definitely on board.

    Then I found out the negatives of collecting rent once a week, lol.  Especially from folks who have to pay that way because they live paycheck to paycheck.  It's 4-5 rent due dates in a month instead of 1.  The first 6 weeks were fine.  After that, I had to call EVERY Tuesday (Mon. was the due date) as to where the rent was.  They also fell behind a few times, even in that short period, though always made it up.

    Never say never, but probably not something I would do again unless there is a compelling reason.

    Sorry to get off topic!  Back to Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things. 

  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2014 · 68 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    I have been marking a 2bd apartment in Salt Lake City for about two weeks. My two first phone calls on the property resulted in each potential tenant telling me that they had a felony.

    The first caller with a felony said that he was charged with a felony for "possession" when he was 18 years old (about 3 years ago). My first mistake was telling him that the incident by itself probably wouldn't automatically disqualify him and that we could schedule a showing.

    While walking his wife and him through the unit things really started going downhill quickly.

    Do you have pets? Yes we have two dogs that are "medium" size (Okay two large dogs)

    Do you smoke? Yes but we can smoke outside (When its a cold winter night in Utah? Yeah right)

    How is your credit? Only negative thing is we maxed out our credit cards for our honeymoon (Yikes)

    By the end of the walk through I am thinking to myself, "You don't meet any of our criteria."

    I then had the gal to ask if it would be just the two of them. Their answer shows me just how clueless some prospective tenants can be. The wife then told me that they were thinking of bringing her brother along.

    Does he have any issues? (And I quote) "Well... he has two theift charges that we know of..." (The absolute last person I want on my property is someone with a history of theift, sheeesh get a clue)

    Needless to say I said no thanks and wished them luck finding a landlord who would look past that many issues ha ha

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Today I had a couple of showings for different properties.

    Property 1 is a 4 bedroom house and was advertised as such.

    • Prospect A:  This is too small.  I wanted a 5 bedroom house.
    • Me thinking: Then why did you come view a 4-bedroom house?  Did you think a 5th bedroom was going to magically appear somewhere?
    • Prospect B:  Asked if we would take someone with some recent evictions.
    • Me thinking: "some" recent evictions? How MANY are we talking?
    • Out loud: No

    Property 2 is a 2 bedroom single family house that rents for $800/month.

    • Prospect:  Wow, I really like this house.  Would you take $700 for it?
    • Me thinking:  What is this, "Let's Make a Deal"?
    • Out loud:  No
  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    10y

    I advertise available units on craigslist and just give my name and use the anonymous craigslist e-mail and my first name until the showing. I list the minimum requirements and ask that they indicate in their e-mail that they meet the minimum requirements. Roughly 80% do not do this, so my first question is always "do you meet the minimum requirements mentioned in the ad?" So that is fun.

    Another, Applicant e-mails how she loves the pictures and thinks it would be great amd wants to set up a showing. I ask if they meet the minimum requirements. They respond yes. With another e-mail a minute later asking if I accept sex offenders. I replied " it's definitely not going to help...

  • Investor · Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2011 · 103 posts · 65 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kyle Hipp:

    Another, Applicant e-mails how she loves the pictures and thinks it would be great amd wants to set up a showing. I ask if they meet the minimum requirements. They respond yes. With another e-mail a minute later asking if I accept sex offenders. I replied " it's definitely not going to help...

    Good for them, asking about the sex offender thing in advance instead of waiting until the showing! I know a guy who's on that registry, and it's tough for them to find housing.

    BTW, I only have 5 units, and 4 of them are a block or less away from an elementary school, i.e., too close for sex offenders to live in them. I'm not sure if the 5th one is far enough away or not...

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:

    I had a couple apply for a rental that was $800/month.  I had to turn them down because my criteria (which was in writing both in the ad and posted at the showing) was that income had to be a minimum of 3x the rental amount, or $2,400 per month.

    So I'm having another showing for a different place that rents for $900/month with the same criteria of income being 3x or $2,700 in this case and these people came wanting to apply.  I asked them if their income changed and they said no.

    I have another rental for $1,100/month and these same people called and left a voicemail about wanting to see this one too!  What's up with these people?

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:

    I had a couple apply for a rental that was $800/month.  I had to turn them down because my criteria (which was in writing both in the ad and posted at the showing) was that income had to be a minimum of 3x the rental amount, or $2,400 per month.

    So I'm having another showing for a different place that rents for $900/month with the same criteria of income being 3x or $2,700 in this case and these people came wanting to apply.  I asked them if their income changed and they said no.

    I have another rental for $1,100/month and these same people called and left a voicemail about wanting to see this one too!  What's up with these people?

     Can't do math.  Or hoping you can't.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    a couple applied for a house that's $1,050 per month. they have 4 kids, no pets (thankfully).

    they stated that she makes 39k, he makes 20k. theoretically they should qualify. while going through the paperwork, her paystubs showed 17k at the middle of October. his paystubs show $7k. followed up with them to see where the rest of the money comes from and we never heard back from them.

    i actually felt depressed for a second wondering how hard it must be to support a family on sub 30k per year. but that was for a second. after that i went online to look for the next house i want to buy.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Had an applicant apply for the house.  She "forgot" her ID at home but still put in the application with her proof of incomes and all that.

    I run her name through the court records and there's one thing, minor, from over 10 years ago.  Okay, no big issue.  But then I notice that the name as she put it on the application doesn't match the spelling of the name on the check stub.

    So I run THAT name, and lo and behold there's a bunch of evictions on her record as well as a pending eviction going through the court.  No wonder why she didn't want to supply her ID.  I think some landlords could have been tripped up on that.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    10y

    @Dawn Anastasi wow, good catch. I looked up someone once misspelling their name, my own fault, noticed it after they moved in and had some rule following issues...sure enough when I reran with the correct spelling I found stuff in county records. She ended up costing us due to her not thinking she had to follow lease rules either, smoking in the house and unauthorized pets.

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:

    I forgot to mention the people who email me: "I have two evictions, and need you to come $200 lower in rent because my baby daddy just went to prison and I can no longer afford rent at market prices and support our 1 year old."

    Me: Delete....delete...delete.

     I live up in Snohomish because I love it...but a lot of people live up here because it's way more affordable than Seattle. When I showed up for the rental open house the un-married couple with two kids were explaining their separate bankruptcy and eviction up front and how their hobby was building those loud little gas powered race cars. 

    I showed up straight from work, dressed nicely, good credit, good income. He was basically like OH THANK GOODNESS. It's been great he just renewed our lease at the under market price because he's moving out of the country and just wanted to keep reliable renters in the property. 

  • Investor · Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2013 · 494 posts · 407 votes
    10y

    Me:  Why are you unable to pay the rent this month?  Did you lose your job?

    Tenant:  No, we had to be in a wedding and it was real expensive with renting tux and all... 

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 500 posts · 243 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Roy N.:

    Sometimes you just need to applaud people's inability to filter themselves.

    Applicant: Would we be able to pay the deposit in two instalments?

    Me:  Absolutely, but both need to occur before you get the keys.

    Applicant: We were planning to use the deposit from our current apartment, but the landlord probably won't be giving it back.

    Me [filtering myself]:  You will have a few days to figure out your budget while we process your application.  [Thinking in my head: I bet the current landlord not releasing their security deposit is just the start].

     Actually Roy, I WOULD call that a really good ability to filter themselves. Filter themselves right out of eligibility that is!

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Glenn McCrorey:

    Me:  Why are you unable to pay the rent this month?  Did you lose your job?

    Tenant:  No, we had to be in a wedding and it was real expensive with renting tux and all... 

    Glenn, that should get posted in this other more appropriate thread for current tenants (as opposed to applicants / wannabe tenants):

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/832...

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I had two applicants (and their three children) view my largest house and wanted an application to fill out right then and there.  Normally I tell them to take it home with them so they can spend some time filling it everything out but no, it had to be done right then and there....so 45 minutes later they are finished...and manage to come up with the  $15 each I charge to do  the credit check.

    When I run the credit check, both come back as "no record" of either.  Huh?

    Not only are they off by their social security numbers "a bit"...they're off a whole bunch.  I mean, it's like they just pulled the numbers out of their head.  It's not until I look at the guys pay stub that includes his social that it's not even close.  Further checking with our local Marshal's online list shows evictions for both of them at different times on three different places (each).

    (Sigh).  I just bundle everything up and shove it in an envelope and mail it back to them with a notice why I can't rent to them.  And then have to ignore the next 8 phone messages they leave me wondering why I won't.

    I've often wondered why, after I spend a lot of time explaining in my ads AND in person the criteria I use (NO HISTORY OF EVICTIONS, NO LARGE ACCOUNTS IN COLLECTIONS)  folks still fork over these funds.  Do they expect I'll be sailing off to Bermuda with their massive $30 instead of running the credit check?

    And finally, the womans' attempt to get in my good graces by telling me not once but at least 3 times that I look really, really good "for my age" (I'm 63 years old) and that she hoped she looked as good when she got to be a senior citizen did NOT win extra points with me.

    Gail

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kimberly H.:

    @Dawn Anastasi wow, good catch. I looked up someone once misspelling their name, my own fault, noticed it after they moved in and had some rule following issues...sure enough when I reran with the correct spelling I found stuff in county records. She ended up costing us due to her not thinking she had to follow lease rules either, smoking in the house and unauthorized pets.

    Here's another ploy to watch out for:

    Look up the owner/landlord name off of public records and then run their name.  You'll see if there are evictions for anyone in the same household at the time the applicant is living there.

    This will help you avoid the situation where you have 2 or 3 people, who live as a group, Person 1 applies, gets accepted, then moves in another person or two. Eventually you evict. Then Person 2 goes and applies for places and moves in Person 1 and 3.  Then eventually they get evicted. Then it's Person 3's turn to apply for places.  It's like the "round robin" bad tenant game.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    10y

    @Dawn Anastasi good tip, I have never heard of doing that,thanks!

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    we just had a couple apply and their requested move-in date was Nov 8th. that immediately set off bells.  

    sure enough,  the guy provided address that doesn't match his record and he is getting evicted. 

    the sad thing is that they seem to make about  8k per month and still don't pay their bills.. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.