(Current) Tenants say the dumbest things, too...

255 Replies

So, your tenant made it through the screening process and moved in.

What kind of dumb things are they saying now?

Petty requests?

Requests to remodel?

Requests for upgraded appliances?

Whining about the internet you provide free as a courtesy? (don't do it.. it's not worth it)

Excuses for not paying rent on time?

I have a tenant that continually complains of being cold, and I need to do a better job of sealing her doors (which they are sealed fine.) I go over there- and her heat is off. "Well, I don't wan to pay for all that electricity! I just run it once in a while."

I had a tenant tell me that she was tired of paying late fees and wanted me to change the date that her rent was due. I explained to her that's it's easy to avoid late fees - just pay on time. I told her I would go crazy if I had everybody's rent due on different days. There's no way I could keep track of that.

A few days later, she called and said "a guy at work" told her it was THE LAW that she can change her due date once per year. After I got done laughing, I explained to her that her co-worker is an idiot and if she can show me the law that allows her to change her due date, I would happily change it. She continued to pay $75 in late fees every month on top of her $750 rent.

She made $28 per hour. I guess it's hard to scrape together $750 by the first when you make $58,000 per year.

An ex-tenant, upon receiving the accounting of her security deposit, and discovering that she owe's me for cleaning since she left it a MESS tells me "I'm not paying that, you broke the lease by taking me to court." She recently was evicted for non-payment of rent. Who knew I was to blame?

I gave a prior tenant a move-in checklist. She returned it to me with a few things listed. One was that she found "a couple half-dead, half-alive bees".

I wasn't quite sure how to take care of zombie bees.

Once when I went over there she had mouse traps laying out in the kitchen (2 of them). I was a little freaked out, because there has never been any mice in any of my properties. So I asked her if she had seen mice or had any issues with mice. She said no, that she had them out "just in case". Maybe she was afraid of zombie mice?

I had a mother of a college student call complaining because we told her the house was cable ready (meaning there were cable lines already installed-and trust me, we explained to the daughter what utilities were included in the price and what wasn't) and she was very distraught when she connected the line to her tv and got static. She assumed that since the line was already there, that the cable service was free.

HA HA this is a great topic and LOVE it!!

I had a tenant that when her lease was up received a rental increase and the next month the tenant paid the old amount prior to the increase. When I inquired her response was " Oh I thought I wasn't required to pay the increase if I didn't want to" BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just yesterday, tenant calls, frantic that the heat doesn't work, they had to leave in the middle of the night, woe, horror and bloodshed, etc.

Send out HVAC guy. He calls to tell me it's a supply issue. My heart skips a beat as I imagine the bills of digging a new gas supply line out to the street. He then explains that she hadn't paid her gas bill and when he called to have it turned on to test, it worked perfectly fine.

My oldest daughter, at age 18, moved to Berkeley with her best friend, age 20. They drove up for a week to look and managed to rent a 2 BDR in a 3-plex for $1650. They were thrilled. A year after they moved in, the tenants in the front unit moved out and it was re-rented. My daughter and her roommate found out that the new tenants were paying only $1750 for a way better unit (larger, fireplace, wood floors, etc.). They were outraged that it hadn't been offered to them. So they wrote a letter to the landlord insisting on a rent reduction of $100 based on what they called "rent discrepancy". I thought that "rent discrepancy" was hilarious and told them that it didn't work like that. They sent the letter anyway. The landlord reduced their rent by $50.00.

May be this is actually a stupid landlord or stupid mom story.

Hi all! New to the forum.

I recently went over to flip a breaker for a tenant that couldn't figure it out for themselves. When I went to enter the apartment to ensure the outlets were working again I was greeted by her dog (deposit paid) and a second large dog of which I wasn't aware. I texted the tenant about it and said that I'll need a deposit for the second dog to which she replied,"My parents are helping my grandmother move and the dog only stays with me for a few nights at a time, do I need to pay a deposit for this?".

Not as classic as cable ready=cable paid for or thought I could choose to pay the adjusted rent if I wanted to but still...

We have a tenant that was slow to pay every month requiring a phone call reminder from us. They also made several complaints and invalid threats to us threatening lawyers on us. They were noisy and allowed their small children to run around loudly at all hours of the night (dad worked and odd shift so the kids were up at night a lot)... they were in an upstairs unit of a duplex.

Upon talking to them about being timely with their rent as their rent payments helped to pay the mortgage... No mortgage paid= they lose their home. Wife spoke up and said, "It's not our fault you have a mortgage!"

Maybe not... but you agreed to the payment and it's your responsibility to pay it so that we can take care of our responsibility.

Shortly after move-in. Tenant emails saying the freezer is not keeping the ice cream frozen enough and a ceiling fan is not working. His solution was an offer to replace the fridge and the ceiling fan. He claimed he could get a deal on a new one (stainless, I'm sure) and he would change the fan out himself. He'd send the bill for reimbursement. Reminded him he's responsible for the first $75 of any service call per the lease and said we'd be happy to send out someone to look at the fridge and someone else to replace the ceiling fan if it wasn't working. Asked him to trying turning the dial towards coldest and to try the ceiling fan again. Seems that turning the dial made it colder and the ceiling fan mysteriously stated working.

Originally posted by Carlos F.:
Shortly after move-in. Tenant emails saying the freezer is not keeping the ice cream frozen enough and a ceiling fan is not working. His solution was an offer to replace the fridge and the ceiling fan. He claimed he could get a deal on a new one (stainless, I'm sure) and he would change the fan out himself. He'd send the bill for reimbursement. Reminded him he's responsible for the first $75 of any service call per the lease and said we'd be happy to send out someone to look at the fridge and someone else to replace the ceiling fan if it wasn't working. Asked him to trying turning the dial towards coldest and to try the ceiling fan again. Seems that turning the dial made it colder and the ceiling fan mysteriously stated working.

Classic.

Tenants always seem to want upgrades, but never to pay for them.

I had a tenant call and say that the water from the kitchen faucet tasted weird and had an odor. The bathroom is right next to the kitchen. I asked her if the bathroom water tasted funny also? She said, "I was always told you shouldn't be drinkin' no baffroom water."

I told her it's the same city water and the same pipes bring it up from the basement before splitting off between kitchen and bathroom. She told me there was no way she was going to drink water from the bathroom and she was going to purchase one of those water filters that goes on your kitchen faucet.

Problem solved.

Originally posted by Rob K:
I had a tenant call and say that the water from the kitchen faucet tasted weird and had an odor. The bathroom is right next to the kitchen. I asked her if the bathroom water tasted funny also? She said, "I was always told you shouldn't be drinkin' no baffroom water."

I told her it's the same city water and the same pipes bring it up from the basement before splitting off between kitchen and bathroom. She told me there was no way she was going to drink water from the bathroom and she was going to purchase one of those water filters that goes on your kitchen faucet.

Problem solved.

Hah, tenants. That's pretty funny. And, here all my life I've gotten a midnight drink from the bathroom...

I had a tenant call to complain about his heat not working. So I began asking him questions to try to figure out the problem. Does the unit come on at all? "yes" Does the unit blow warm air? "well, not like it used to" Ok, well what do you have your thermostat set on? "Well I called the power company so they could help me with my bill, and they told me I needed to keep it on 69" So I ask, what did you have it set on all Winter? "78"

So long story short, he has it set on 78 all winter, gets an outrageous bill, calls the power company's hotline that helps low income families pay their bills- they tell him to turn the thermostat down to 69, which he does, and although the unit is working fine, he calls me to tell me it isn't working because it's not blowing hot air. I explain to him the obvious, and go about my day.

I also had a new tenant call that the heat wasn't working. The furnace was only 2 years old and I know it worked, so I asked them if they turned it to "heat". No, they had not.

Same tenant (after the heat was "working"), tried to hook up their gas stove and said that the gas didn't seem to be on. They hadn't turned the valve on the gas to supply gas to the stove. (To their credit, it was a safety where you had to turn both valves to the same position. But wouldn't you realize that if the gas wasn't on, the furnace also wouldn't be on?)

Same tenant - got a duplicate key at Home Depot and somehow it got stuck in the lock. They called in a panic as they didn't want a key to be sticking in the door while they slept. I brought over some lubricant, sprayed it on, and the key came out. Gave them a spare duplicate key and told them not to use the one from Home Depot.

Same tenant - thought there were mice in the house because there was a hole in the floor. I showed them that's where the cable line ran up into the room at one time and now they're in a different place. Mice don't chew perfectly round holes - that was made by a drill.

I couldn't possibly get rid of this tenant because then I'd lose all the stories.

In a 4 bedroom house we rent out in a nice area of Los Angeles a renter said he would re-landscape the backyard for just the cost of material. He claimed that if we would just spend $2k on the backyard he would "increase the value of the house between 35-40%".

I got him a $100 gift card to Armstrong garden just to play nice. Since then, real estate values have gone up about 35%.

Perhaps this "expert" was on to something...

One was 12 days past due on rent and the excuse - he was too busy. NOT that he forgot or he didn't have the money, but he was too busy.

Just had a furnace not working issue as well. The tenant moved in end of last spring and had never had the furnace on. Hadn't set up an account with the gas company either. Funny how the furnace doesn't work when the gas is off.

I also regularly have tenants that complain that the furnace isn't working and then my HVAC guy has to come out to tell them that they need to set up an account with the gas company - even though it's been explained to them when they moved in.

And then there was the tenant that called me on the last day of the month that she had bought $ 300 worth of groceries 4 days before and then went out of town and when she came back the fridge had died and everything had spoiled. Of course the fridge was already completely cleaned out and all the food had been taken off site and all she could do was show me receipts cobbled together from various stores (probably ran around the parking lots and picked them off the ground). Luckily my lease states that the appliances are being given in good working order, but that I don't warrant them and that they'll have to fix, if they break during the lease term. She just didn't have the rent and we evicted.

Then there was the tenant that was working as assistant for 'Momma Dee' at Love and hip hop in Atlanta'. When he started the b.s. of having put the envelope with the money order into his mailbox and someone obviously having stolen it and now he has to order replacement with money order company, which would take 10 days etc. He didn't realize that I could google and found out that Lil Scrappy had to go into rehab and was off the show and that probably meant that his mom (Momma Dee) was also not on the show and that he no longer had a job. I did have to evict him.

And then there are the tenants that don't want to turn on the gas and heat the house with little electric heaters and then complain that they have problems with the breakers.

Actually, right now I have pretty good tenants, so knock on wood

Cute college tenant calls the wife in a panic. (We knew the parents so my wife just about adopted these sheltered girls).

The OTHER girl's BMW would not start & it was blocking her vehicle against the 2 car garage & she has to get to her Gross Anatomy final (Yep final year pre-med).

The wife went over (2 miles away) opened the garage door (no-one ever parked in as they had already lost the remotes) and she was able to drive into the garage & back it out.

Same girls called the wife @ 11pm for baking soda to make cookies. My wife explained we had Arm & Hammer & were welcome to drop over for it. They called back & said no problem they had another friend bringing the Arm & Hammer Baking soda. The next day we discovered they had used Arm & Hammer laundry detergent WITH BAKING SODA.

They have all graduated & are now interning in medicine & radiology.

@Rob K.

That drinking out of the bathroom is truly classic, but you wouldn't believe how many times I've explained that to people when I drink from a house spigot out back(I do landscaping). People don't believe it comes from the same water source...

Originally posted by Sean Kuhn:
@Rob K.

That drinking out of the bathroom is truly classic, but you wouldn't believe how many times I've explained that to people when I drink from a house spigot out back(I do landscaping). People don't believe it comes from the same water source...

Be warned in our homes in Florida & Australia it is not.

A lot of homes have recycled non-potable water fed back to the homes for outside watering etc. But it does have a distinct odor & I would assume taste.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here