(Current) Tenants say the dumbest things, too...

(Current) Tenants say the dumbest things, too...

Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes

So, your tenant made it through the screening process and moved in.

What kind of dumb things are they saying now?

Petty requests?

Requests to remodel?

Requests for upgraded appliances?

Whining about the internet you provide free as a courtesy? (don't do it.. it's not worth it)

Excuses for not paying rent on time?

6Reply
601 views

Most Popular Reply

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y

I have a tenant that continually complains of being cold, and I need to do a better job of sealing her doors (which they are sealed fine.) I go over there- and her heat is off. "Well, I don't wan to pay for all that electricity! I just run it once in a while."

.............

See this reply in the discussion

281 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    As many of you know, I'm going through an eviction with a tenant I am calling Tiffany here on Bigger Pockets. Tiffany got high today and called me up.

    "Why are you evicting me?"

    "Well, you're a junky..."

    "I'm not a junky!"

    "Oh really, was it someone else who bought black-market sleeping pills and crushed them up and snorted them, ODed on the fentanyl in them, and it took paramedics and Narcan to bring her back from death's door?"

    "I'M NOT A JUNKY! Trying new things doesn't make you a junky!"

    (Comparing a near-fatal overdose to putting Cocoa Puffs instead of Lucky Charms in your supermarket cart because you found a coupon in the local pennysaver...)


    I shouldn't be laughing, but that's hysterical! Her response, not the situation.

    The comedy of absurd hypocritical rationalizations is, sadly, completely lost on junkies. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    "The comedy of absurd hypocritical rationalizations is, sadly, completely lost on junkies. " Sadly we have had to evict several young kids that started out being great tenants. They were college educated had great jobs, but then they get hooked on drugs. Some had very young children so it's tough to see. However, according to some of my Lower Income rental LL friends it's becoming an epidemic.
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2022 · 125 posts · 124 votes
    3y

    Commenting so I can find this again later!

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 2 votes
    2y

    I have a tenant that lives in a ground floor apartment of a two story building. He emailed me to tell me the roof is leaking into his bathroom over his tub. I suggested it’s probably the bathtub of the apartment above. He proceeded to tell me the upstairs neighbor said he doesn’t have a leak. So he insisted that it’s coming from the roof and only leaking into his bathroom. He also insisted that I call a roofer.

    The signature line of his email said he’s the director of admissions at a very prestigious prep school in the area. 🤷‍♀️

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.