Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
27,844 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 502 posts · 167 votes
    5y

    “Do you allow dogs? I have 2 Great Danes.”

    Russian accent:”I have a husky and a Doberman. I will give them to my BF who lives close by.” (Till he signs lease)

    “I have 4 Yorkies, they are my family”

    “My relative is moving in after surgery so we can help him and we have 3 cats and a dog. The cats are very respectful.”

    “I cannot share the contact info for the person who signs my paychecks since he is my client and you might steal him.” (The guy is a construction worker, I’m never gonna be looking to sell anything to his boss)

    Other possible canines I could welcome into my pristine home—american bulldog, german shepherd, rottweiler, etc.

    I guess dogs are the most popular pets/ESA’s. Too bad they leave piles of s**t all over.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    My boyfriend & his cat maybe moving in with me as well. The cat's a 'for sure' but the bf not so much. 

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 432 posts · 281 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Pat L.:

    My boyfriend & his cat maybe moving in with me as well. The cat's a 'for sure' but the bf not so much. 

     Soooo she's going to cat-nap the animal and hopes the BF will follow?

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    I realize you said no dogs, however my dog is like a cat. He is almost 2, small and quiet. I work at company xyz,  during covid I was unemployed and living off my savings and my landlady came by when my dog was just 7 weeks old and she mistreated him. Now she is evicting me.....

    Translation: I  couldn't pay my rent during covid so I went out and got a dog(??), now my landlady is evicting me. Will you rent to me? 

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    My husband and I have 2 condo rentals in FL available now; one tenant was just evicted (that story will be in another thread), and one bought a house. So I'm having twice the fun with potential tenants, especially in this market. In 1 week, I've had over 500 responses. The rental requirements are clearly listed on all the sites I've posted them on.

    They're listed right at the top. No one reads. Of the 500+ responses, only 6 people have been qualified to see the condos, since I pre-screen. Thankfully, most applicants self-eliminate immediately.

    Some gems:

    Applicant: Yes, I meet the requirements

    Me: What is your credit score?

    Applicant: Why do you need to know all this?! I don't give no information to no condo association, you realtors is all RUDE AF!! (I'm not a realtor, but whatever)

    Next Applicant

    Me: Have you read and met all the requirements in the listing?

    Applicant: Yes

    Me: Is your credit score a minimum of 650? 

    Applicant: No

    Me: Ok, then you didn't read the requirements

    Applicant: Not really

    NEXT!

    Next Applicant: Yes, I meet the requirements

    Me: What is your gross monthly income? (the rent is $1650)

    Applicant: I make $12 an hour and I work 40 hours a week

    Me: So what is your gross monthly income? (I already know, but she isn't sure, so I tell her what it is)

    Applicant: Yes, right (she has 2 kids)

    Me: That leaves you with less than $300 a month for all other expenses, like utilities, food, gas, renter's insurance, phone, car repairs, medication, etc.

    Applicant: Yes

    NEXT!

    Applicant: Yes, I meet all the requirements

    Me: Do you have a verifiable rental history?

    Applicant: Yes, I live with my mom (or grandmother, cousin, friend)

    NEXT

    Applicant: Yes, I meet the requirements

    Me: Do you have any evictions, judgments or criminal activity?

    Applicant: Yes, but it wasn't my fault. The landlord didn't fix anything, and I made some mistakes when I was younger, but now I have kids and we need a place ASAP.

    Me: So you don't meet the requirements? 

    Applicant: Yes I do

    NEXT!

    Applicant: Yes, I meet the requirements. I live in (name any other state besides FL, where the rental is), and I plan to get a job as soon as I have a place in Florida.

    Me:  So you don't have verifiable income? 

    Applicant: Not yet, but I will. 

    Me: Any verifiable rental history? 

    Applicant: After 2 divorces, I now live with my boyfriend but I don't trust him and I need to feel safe with my kids. My ex husbands owned our homes before, and I really want to have my own place. My boyfriend will tell you I live here, but I don't want him to know I'm leaving. He's not abusive, but...(and continues to talk)

    Me: I'm sorry, good luck with your search.

    NEXT!

    Applicant: No, we didn't read the requirements

    Me: What are your credit scores?

    Applicant: I really don't know

    Me: Do you have a rental history?

    Applicant; Yes, we've been in this apartment for a year, the landlord is raising the rent to $1500, so we have to move.

    Me: You understand this condo is $1650 a month plus utilities?

    Applicant: Yes, but we make a combined income of $3000 a month....I think. I'm a server and he's a car salesman, so I'm not sure exactly what we make, it's different every month. 

    NEXT!

    Applicant: Yes, I read the requirements, but your security deposit is so high, is that negotiable? 

    Me: No

    Applicant: But in Illinois, our security deposit was only $400!

    Me: Do you live in FL now?

    Applicant: No, we'll be moving soon and getting jobs there.

    Me: You might want to reconsider Illinois

    NEXT!

    Applicant: I meet all the requirements but the credit, I have a 630 right now, it went down due to Covid

    Me: 650 is a listed requirement

    NEXT!

    Applicant: Yes I do meet all requirements. However I have no previous residential rental history. Is that an issue?

    Me: Yes, that's a listed requirement

    NEXT!

    Applicant: I meet all the requirements. Is it OK to smoke medicinal marijuana outside the unit? (there is no smoking inside)

    Me: That would be frowned upon by the neighbors and the association

    Applicant: No problem, I can smoke in my car. And I had a few issues with the law, but that was years ago. My credit's not great, but I'll have a roommate to help with the rent. No, I don't know his credit score or how much he makes, I'll find out. 

    NEXT!

    Applicant: Yes, we meet all requirements with excellent credit scores, but I don't give out any more information without seeing the place.

    Me: That's not how it works

    Applicant: Why can't you show it to me??

    NEXT! 

  • Pensacola, FL · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    @Aly W. Why don't you consider someone who qualifies except for the rental history? What if they just sold their house and wants to wait for the market to come down before they buy another. Just curious. 

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Mike Laurenzi, we did that for the tenant we just evicted. He'd gotten divorced, sold the house he and his wife owned. We gave him a chance and he gave us an eviction case that cost several thousands in lost rent, fees, and haul out.

  • Pensacola, FL · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    @Aly W. Gotcha. I would probably do the same in your situation. Sorry that happened. 

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Mike Laurenzi, thanks, it happens every few years. With the current crazy market in Florida, more people are being forced to move, yet they are not remotely qualified to rent. I try to mitigate the risks as best I can, since there are never any guarantees.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 562 posts · 554 votes
    4y

    I once had a lady walk through and submit a punch list with her application:

    Cabinet doors are slightly out of skew and will need to be fixed.

    Cabinet knobs should be changed from black to bronze.

    Landscaping in the front needs to be replaced.

    Minor paint chip on the corner of the front door.

    Gas stove needs to be changed to electric.

    Install shower curtain in the master bath.

    Light bulbs in bathroom are soft white, I like the clear ones.

    It went on and on and on and on. I was wondering if she was that difficult before she moved in, what would happen after?

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Account Closed, you certainly dodged a bullet! 

    I just got off the phone with a woman who had 2 restaurant jobs, no credit score, no deposit, but as she said, "You have my word that I have support from my mother and grandmother, they'll help me out with whatever I need to move in ASAP".

  • Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
    4y

    @Account Closed What?! She's ridiculous. I'd have handed her "punch list" back and told her to save it for future use since toilet paper is getting scarce again.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I once had a lady walk through and submit a punch list with her application:

    Cabinet doors are slightly out of skew and will need to be fixed.

    Cabinet knobs should be changed from black to bronze.

    Landscaping in the front needs to be replaced.

    Minor paint chip on the corner of the front door.

    Gas stove needs to be changed to electric.

    Install shower curtain in the master bath.

    Light bulbs in bathroom are soft white, I like the clear ones.

    It went on and on and on and on. I was wondering if she was that difficult before she moved in, what would happen after?

     LoL.

    I once had a place for rent, one of our more popular houses - it usually goes in a day or two because it's right next to the university. I was over there dressed in my rags doing some outside landscaping and my wife was showing the house. This car pulls up and a young guy gets out along with a much older woman, who turned out to be his mother. They come walking down the steps, I say hello. Young guy is dressed like he's going to church. He doesn't say anything to me but walks around the side of the house to the AC compressor and bends down and studies it. Comes back up and says (now he doesn't know I'm anything but the gardener) "Well, it's an older model but I suppose it will have to do". Then he walks to the other side, far into the yard looking at the roof, comes back and says "The roof will need replacing soon." Now the AC unit was 1 year old at that point, and I had just had the roof redone in architectural shingles that spring. I don't say anything but am thinking "Yeah buddy, no way are you renting my house". They go inside, later I get the report from my wife he's over there doing the same thing - nitpicking cabinet knobs, etc. She tells them to go online fill out an application if they're interested. An hour later a nice couple come by, love the house, run home immediately and fill out the application. Great background, no problems, by Sunday evening they've signed the lease and I'm waiting for their electronic payment to clear on Monday.

    Monday morning this guy calls the office and I answer. He says "I'm so and so, and I was out there looking at the house on Saturday. I think it will do, but we will need to talk about coming down on the rent." 😂 I tell the guy "Sorry buddy, it's already rented - another couple saw it and have already signed the lease, unless their payment doesn't clear it's gone." to which he stammers "But-but-but I wanted this place!"

    On Wednesday, the guy calls the office again and I answer again. He tells me who he is (I knew who he was) and says "I'm in town right now, and I have cash in my pocket, so can I just meet you and pay you in cash and you can give the house to me instead?" 😂




    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y

    I showed a house to an older couple, probably in their 60's. They were inside trying to negotiate a couple hundred dollars off of rent. I explained to them that rent was a fair price and I had just listed it a couple days ago. Based on the number of showings, I was confident I could get it rented. We get outside and the guy farts ridiculously loud. The wife laughs and says, "why did you do that". He responds, "I can't help myself, it just feels good." As they are leaving, he says "if you change your mind on the rent at $200 less, we may be interested." They call me a day later and ask me for an application. I texted them a link for an online application, but they ask if I will mail them a paper application. I said no. 

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    My husband and I have 2 condo rentals in FL available now; one tenant was just evicted (that story will be in another thread), and one bought a house. So I'm having twice the fun with potential tenants, especially in this market. In 1 week, I've had over 500 responses. The rental requirements are clearly listed on all the sites I've posted them on.

    They're listed right at the top. No one reads. Of the 500+ responses, only 6 people have been qualified to see the condos, since I pre-screen. Thankfully, most applicants self-eliminate immediately.

    Some gems:

    Applicant: Yes, I meet the requirements

    Me: What is your credit score?

    Applicant: Why do you need to know all this?! I don't give no information to no condo association, you realtors is all RUDE AF!! (I'm not a realtor, but whatever)

    Next Applicant

    Me: Have you read and met all the requirements in the listing?

    Applicant: Yes

    Me: Is your credit score a minimum of 650? 

    Applicant: No

    Me: Ok, then you didn't read the requirements

    Applicant: Not really

    NEXT!

    Next Applicant: Yes, I meet the requirements

    Me: What is your gross monthly income? (the rent is $1650)

    Applicant: I make $12 an hour and I work 40 hours a week

    Me: So what is your gross monthly income? (I already know, but she isn't sure, so I tell her what it is)

    Applicant: Yes, right (she has 2 kids)

    Me: That leaves you with less than $300 a month for all other expenses, like utilities, food, gas, renter's insurance, phone, car repairs, medication, etc.

    Applicant: Yes

    NEXT!

    Applicant: Yes, I meet all the requirements

    Me: Do you have a verifiable rental history?

    Applicant: Yes, I live with my mom (or grandmother, cousin, friend)

    NEXT

    Applicant: Yes, I meet the requirements

    Me: Do you have any evictions, judgments or criminal activity?

    Applicant: Yes, but it wasn't my fault. The landlord didn't fix anything, and I made some mistakes when I was younger, but now I have kids and we need a place ASAP.

    Me: So you don't meet the requirements? 

    Applicant: Yes I do

    NEXT!

    Applicant: Yes, I meet the requirements. I live in (name any other state besides FL, where the rental is), and I plan to get a job as soon as I have a place in Florida.

    Me:  So you don't have verifiable income? 

    Applicant: Not yet, but I will. 

    Me: Any verifiable rental history? 

    Applicant: After 2 divorces, I now live with my boyfriend but I don't trust him and I need to feel safe with my kids. My ex husbands owned our homes before, and I really want to have my own place. My boyfriend will tell you I live here, but I don't want him to know I'm leaving. He's not abusive, but...(and continues to talk)

    Me: I'm sorry, good luck with your search.

    NEXT!

    Applicant: No, we didn't read the requirements

    Me: What are your credit scores?

    Applicant: I really don't know

    Me: Do you have a rental history?

    Applicant; Yes, we've been in this apartment for a year, the landlord is raising the rent to $1500, so we have to move.

    Me: You understand this condo is $1650 a month plus utilities?

    Applicant: Yes, but we make a combined income of $3000 a month....I think. I'm a server and he's a car salesman, so I'm not sure exactly what we make, it's different every month. 

    NEXT!

    Applicant: Yes, I read the requirements, but your security deposit is so high, is that negotiable? 

    Me: No

    Applicant: But in Illinois, our security deposit was only $400!

    Me: Do you live in FL now?

    Applicant: No, we'll be moving soon and getting jobs there.

    Me: You might want to reconsider Illinois

    NEXT!

    Applicant: I meet all the requirements but the credit, I have a 630 right now, it went down due to Covid

    Me: 650 is a listed requirement

    NEXT!

    Applicant: Yes I do meet all requirements. However I have no previous residential rental history. Is that an issue?

    Me: Yes, that's a listed requirement

    NEXT!

    Applicant: I meet all the requirements. Is it OK to smoke medicinal marijuana outside the unit? (there is no smoking inside)

    Me: That would be frowned upon by the neighbors and the association

    Applicant: No problem, I can smoke in my car. And I had a few issues with the law, but that was years ago. My credit's not great, but I'll have a roommate to help with the rent. No, I don't know his credit score or how much he makes, I'll find out. 

    NEXT!

    Applicant: Yes, we meet all requirements with excellent credit scores, but I don't give out any more information without seeing the place.

    Me: That's not how it works

    Applicant: Why can't you show it to me??

    NEXT! 


    That would drive me insane

    We don’t speak to anyone until they fill out the application as well as pay for a background check through a third party 

    Which they receive a link to in a text message 

    IF they qualify we text them the date and time to see the property.  Everyone gets the same appointment date and time 

    First one with the cash gets the keys 



  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Michael Plante, well, I consider it content for my future book :) 

    The condo association has to approve all applicants, so I don't want anyone wasting their $100 if I already know they'll be declined. I don't charge an application fee for my app, which I explain to the tenants as to why I pre-screen. If they do get to fill out my application, they pay a third party for a background check as well. One of the condos has a tenant in it, and I'm not about to send a parade of unqualified people there. 

    Once I qualify them on the phone or by email, they can see the place and decide if they want to fill out an application and pay the background check fee. I get a good sense of their personality if we have some kind of exchange, by phone or email. Nearly all applicants self-eliminate, which does save a bit of time!

    This market is insane, I rarely needed to communicate with more than a few people before I got a qualified applicant for any of our properties. But now - insane for sure!

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Ah another reason I don't do rentals with condo associations or properties with HOA

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2020 · 91 posts · 71 votes
    4y

    @Robin Grimes

    When my very first tenant was waaay late on her rent I contacted her to ask what was up. She said “I’m sorry we spent all our money to move here” 😂

  • Member since 2020 · 89 posts · 43 votes
    4y

    @Chris DeTreville I had a lady call me Monday night asking if the apartment is still available. I politely say No, I have one that is coming available next month. I run through my pre screen questions and she fails due to low disability income. Insists she has additional income. I oblige and ask if she has a pet (I can hear the beast breathing in the background). She said yes and insists he has to come because he protects her. He keeps the bad people away from the door of the ratty motel she is staying in. I asked, what type of dog is it? She answers a terrier. I said great as my insurance doesn’t allow pit bulls. She responds, well he’s a terrier mixed with a pit bull. I politely said thank you and we can reconnect next year sometime.

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Tenant applicant: I'm on section 8, have an eviction and a 538 credit score, will you still rent to me?? (Listing criteria clearlys states credit must be 700+, no evictions, etc.).

    Tenant applicant: Dufus shows up, parks in the middle of the street, blocking all traffic, wearing a stupid looking adidas track suit. I asked him why he would park in the middle of the street blocking all traffic rather than in the driveway, let's move it into the driveway. He then proceeds to pull his mustang into my neighbors driveway while I'm shaking my head because he is so dumb I couldn't contain myself. He then said he was going to go home. His village must have summoned him, they realized their idiot escaped.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Chris DeTreville, I had someone contact me today asking how large a dog is allowed in my condo rental. The listing says 50 pounds, but no one reads. I ask her what kind it is anyway, and of course "he's an American Staffordshire Terrier, a total sweetheart!". 

    A pit bull...rebranded.

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    We are currently working on my smallest house (2 bedroom, 1 bath); doing some updating.  It's an old house so I'm replacing the original windows, changing the front door, doing some sheetrock work, painting, planning on resanding hardwood floors, etc.  In an area with lots of local foot traffic to fast food restaurants and a nearby Circle K.  At least once a day someone beep bopping on by will ask if it will be for rent (or am I looking for someone to work....or can I spare a few bucks).  Lots of folks on limited budgets that have lived in the area for decades.

    Two guys come by while I'm on a ladder painting the outside stucco.  Tells me they want to rent the house.  Says they both work and when I ask them why they aren't at work today they tell me they got "rained out" (it's a nice sunny day).  I ask what they are paying for rent and they say "we each pay $262.50 a month".  So $525 is all they can afford.  Be still my beating heart.

    I finally told the person who is working with me from now on we tell these neighbor folks I'm selling, not renting and that I require a clean drug test and record of vaccinations from my workers.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    Wife was showing a 2bedroom we have & the existing tenant of 2 years was swooning over the place. They had to leave because of the husbands job relocation, shame because she was OCD & the place is immaculate. Then my Wife & potential tenant come into the kitchen & the existing tenant is hugging the fridge & tells my wife how much she is going to miss it ???

    We have a large home that has been rented by the 'touring' Coast Guard Chiefs for >16 years & the current Chief called to say they have been reassigned & will be vacating June 2022. Then proceeds to tell me that the incoming new Chief & his wife toured the home & are ready to sign a lease for the home 2022-2026 if that's OK. 

    Sometimes you get a winner.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 502 posts · 167 votes
    4y

    Had a guy call about house FR said he has 2 great danes is that Ok? I asked if he owns a backhoe for cleaning up after them he had No sense of humor

    Another call she has 3 cats and one dog and “the cats are very respectful”

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I got one:

    An application came through using unemployment checks.

    Her response, "but if I get the place I swear I will get a job."

    Really?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.