Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
27,528 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    How do you feel about potential tenants who immediately ask if there’s any wiggle room on the rent amount, or if they can get a discount on the rent? For me that’s a huge red flag. Apparently there are lots of articles out there telling potential tenants to try to negotiate rent, and I feel like it’s a sign that they can’t really afford the property or don’t really value it.

  • Investor · Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 47 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Mj Schindler:

    How do you feel about potential tenants who immediately ask if there’s any wiggle room on the rent amount, or if they can get a discount on the rent? For me that’s a huge red flag. Apparently there are lots of articles out there telling potential tenants to try to negotiate rent, and I feel like it’s a sign that they can’t really afford the property or don’t really value it.

    You can't be serious about this question...

    One asks to negotiate and you leap to the conclusion "that they can’t really afford the property or don’t really value it."

    Have you ever bought a house? a car? an appliance? anything on Craig's List?

    The epitome of a Holier than though attitude.

    And as I reread this before hitting enter I really have to laugh as it most likely that you negotiated to purchase the very asset that you feel puts the Tennant Application in the category of saying "The dumbest things."

    New category: Prospective landlords say the dumbest things.

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Mj Schindler:

    How do you feel about potential tenants who immediately ask if there’s any wiggle room on the rent amount, or if they can get a discount on the rent? For me that’s a huge red flag. Apparently there are lots of articles out there telling potential tenants to try to negotiate rent, and I feel like it’s a sign that they can’t really afford the property or don’t really value it.

    My response is that if I do not get a qualified tenant that I would consider lowering the rent.  This is usually at an open house that has a plethora of lookers, so they recognize that there will not be any rent discount. 

    I think regardless of how much money you have, you like to pay the minimum.  I do not think the question necessarily implies that they cannot easily pay the rent.  The application should determine their ability to pay (credit report, income, LL reference, etc). 

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 215 posts · 129 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Mj Schindler:

    How do you feel about potential tenants who immediately ask if there’s any wiggle room on the rent amount, or if they can get a discount on the rent? For me that’s a huge red flag. Apparently there are lots of articles out there telling potential tenants to try to negotiate rent, and I feel like it’s a sign that they can’t really afford the property or don’t really value it.

     My wife is Asian.  They negotiate everything or try to.  Like she says "doesn't hurt to ask."

  • Crown Point, IN · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 23 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Mj Schindler:

    How do you feel about potential tenants who immediately ask if there’s any wiggle room on the rent amount, or if they can get a discount on the rent? For me that’s a huge red flag. Apparently there are lots of articles out there telling potential tenants to try to negotiate rent, and I feel like it’s a sign that they can’t really afford the property or don’t really value it.

    I don't think that's quite fair. I negotiate the price of every house I purchase or attempt to purchase. In fact, since I've started real estate investment, I negotiate more and more things and in increasingly creative ways.

    I've had people ask for sometimes large reductions in rent and I've just politely declined, but if I couldn't fill the property, I would reconsider.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Rob Golob:
    Originally posted by @Mj Schindler:

    How do you feel about potential tenants who immediately ask if there’s any wiggle room on the rent amount, or if they can get a discount on the rent? For me that’s a huge red flag. Apparently there are lots of articles out there telling potential tenants to try to negotiate rent, and I feel like it’s a sign that they can’t really afford the property or don’t really value it.

    You can't be serious about this question...

    One asks to negotiate and you leap to the conclusion "that they can’t really afford the property or don’t really value it."

    Have you ever bought a house? a car? an appliance? anything on Craig's List?

    The epitome of a Holier than though attitude.

    And as I reread this before hitting enter I really have to laugh as it most likely that you negotiated to purchase the very asset that you feel puts the Tennant Application in the category of saying "The dumbest things."

    New category: Prospective landlords say the dumbest things.

    It really depends on the rental market. Currently, any applicant in this market who asks that question is definitely a red flag to me, too. We've bought 2 properties in the last few months in this rapidly escalating market, and knew there was no way (other than a problem with the inspection) that the sellers would agree to any wiggle room or discount. The property we listed for rent last month generated over 500 responses. 


    Years ago I discounted the rent for a property in a challenging area. I was glad to get a decent tenant who would actually pay the rent and take care of the place. These days, I've had potential tenants offer more than the asking rent, and have had them tell me they've been in bidding wars.

  • Accountant · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2018 · 312 posts · 349 votes
    4y

    @Thomas S.@Mj Schindler I would say "it depends". If the property is hot and getting a ton of interest but you have someone asking this then yes I tend to question if they can afford it. However if the property isn't moving quick or getting a lot of interest this could be a sign that you are listed too high and need to reassess your rent.

    @Rob Golob no need to try and shame @Mj Schindler for her question, because about half the time yes I'd consider this a red flag. The rent is spelled out in the ad and most landlords don't negotiate unless they are 1) desperate to fill the unit, or 2) the renter is some amazing renter. If anyone has a holier than though attitude here it's you. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    I would not put negotiation requests as dumb but they can be quite strange. I  once had a prospective tenant bring up the historical significance of the property and land. This isn't unusual because of the age of the building but in this case he was talking about the significance of the land to the Narragansett Indians.  He took that opportunity to ask me if I would discount his rent because he was a leader in the local indian tribe and this was historically their land. I declined and told him I thought it would be a fair housing violation but can't fault him for trying. 

  • Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    @Ryan B. A lot of these are funny but I don’t understand your rude response in this scenario. Based off of what you shared, the guy could have just been asking to break the ice or could have meant to say hey is it still available for rent? Your response comes off as you either just had a bad day and took it out on someone for no reason or you are like this with everyone which worries me about you just being a rude landlord/person.

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Dan H.:
    Originally posted by @Mj Schindler:

    How do you feel about potential tenants who immediately ask if there’s any wiggle room on the rent amount, or if they can get a discount on the rent? For me that’s a huge red flag. Apparently there are lots of articles out there telling potential tenants to try to negotiate rent, and I feel like it’s a sign that they can’t really afford the property or don’t really value it.

    My response is that if I do not get a qualified tenant that I would consider lowering the rent.  This is usually at an open house that has a plethora of lookers, so they recognize that there will not be any rent discount. 

    I think regardless of how much money you have, you like to pay the minimum.  I do not think the question necessarily implies that they cannot easily pay the rent.  The application should determine their ability to pay (credit report, income, LL reference, etc). 

    I'm the same way.  I don't mind someone asking.  Some people like to negotiate and I'm not going to fault them for trying to get the best possible deal.  But I've never done that, because my rentals are usually priced correctly and even a bit below market.  There is only one time where I lowered the rental amount because I wasn't getting much traffic.  Though I did that on my own, not because someone asked.

    However, it can quickly turn into a red flag.  For example, sometimes people will tell me they can only afford $X.  Don't mind the ask, if it is in the ball park.  But there have been a few times when I said I wasn't ready yet (but would contact them if I did lower the rent), that they suddenly want to apply or come for a showing anyway.  I'm not going to say "no" to either of those requests, but I'm not going to rent to them either after they literally told me they couldn't comfortably afford the rental amount.

    Or every once in awhile, someone will ask for a discount because they think the house is priced too high.  I usually reply that I analyzed the market before setting the price and I think it's fair but, if I decide to lower it, I will let them know.  But then still want to come to a showing.  We do open house showings, so it's fine if they want to come.  However, same thing. I don't want to rent to someone who is going to be unhappy from the first day because they think they are overpaying.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago · Member since 2021 · 108 posts · 23 votes
    4y

    It's not always what they say, but how they say it. We all know that we should never judge a book by its cover, but with rental applications sometimes you can't help but make assumptions based on one's appearance. There are many stories of applicants coming in to an open house wearing sweatpants or flip-flops and then proceeding to ask for the rent amount upfront without even looking at the property. One of the most popular cliches are 1. "I'm a great tenant." 2. "I have a steady job." 3. "My credit score is 720." 4. "I can afford the rent." 5. I don't smoke or drink alcohol" 6. “No one has ever said anything bad about me in an interview before, so why would it be different with you?" 7. “What are your hours?” 9. “Do you offer any discounts?” 10 ."Can't we just do this online?" 

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    Should be fun today we have 8 couples (maybe) & two different divorced middle aged ladies showing for an open house on a 2 bedroom upper apartment. One of the divorced ladies is the current tenants aunt as the current tenant is just moving to a larger apartment on-site. 

    Demand is very high in the area so it will go fast.

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Pat L.  How did your showings go?

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Bob E.:

    @Pat L.  How did your showings go?

    Had quite a few show, 3 yesterday @ 12 noon & several more tonight. Several submitted applications so far. Even had that one that wanted to pay 4 months in advance to get it asap..yeah right. Surprised to see a few middle-aged empty nester couples/singles.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    So we put the availability out on 'NEXTDOOR' a social media format, which has had a great response for us. I get 2 responses & immediately 'private' message them both with all the details, the showing dates & times etc etc. 

    A couple of days later I update the post saying that the vacancy is filled. One of those asking for information, (let's call her KAREN), reams me out on the post for NOT letting her know any of the information & giving them a chance to see the apartment. I simply responded that it had been sent to her & she may want to "check her messages". Crickets !!!

    Another mutt fires back telling me the post is 'expletive' BULLSH_T because the property listed sits in one town but the (mailing address) encompasses another larger area. I explained this, so then they asked for an application. DIDN'T HAPPEN !!!

  • Sterman, MI · Member since 2017 · 378 posts · 306 votes
    4y

    I had one respond on marketplace once. He said "nobody is going to pay that much with no bathroom". I said look at the pictures. He writes back "oh, I didn't see that". 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @Pat L.  we don't post on next door because in general it seems to have a high number of complainers. I guess you get complainers but good applicants too? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Colleen F.:

    @Pat L.  we don't post on next door because in general it seems to have a high number of complainers. I guess you get complainers but good applicants too? 

    So far we've been lucky & have several very good tenants that responded & were accepted...but you'll always get those that are never satisfied & they are usually asking for someone else or a family member???

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Colleen F.:

    @Pat L.  we don't post on next door because in general it seems to have a high number of complainers. I guess you get complainers but good applicants too? 

     My local NextDoor is filled with ninnies.  People who report coyote sightings (if they knew how often coyotes roam the neighborhood unseen), or kids having harmless fun (there is huge water ballon fight at local park and the police do not care), or partisan politics that is going to start a flame war and get the thread shutdown in less than 24 hours. 

    Mostly A lot of bored people who seem to have a lot of spare time. 

    However I have not listed a unit availability on NextDoor.  If it gets me a good qualified candidate, I do not care if it is filled with ninnies.  

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I must have temporarily lost my mind and placed an ad for a rental house on FB Marketplace.  Yes; you get a ton of responses but what responses!  The benefit is easy access to their FB profile but one must be prepared for depression in regards to the human race.  So far it's been some guy who appears to raise pitbulls in his back yard, four women asking if I'd take Section 8 vouchers and while in my state we are not required to accept them when I politely wrote back saying their vouchers would not cover the cost of the rent all four offered to pay me extra under the table (this is illegal). One couple and their two year son living with her mother  and the woman is pregnant again and the father is looking for work.  One guy with no social security number so a credit check cannot be done.  Two 18 year olds wondering if I would rent to them.  And the list goes on.   Less than 24 hours on that site and I pulled my ad.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    I have a nice SFH a 2/1 with a full unfinished basement . Its up for rent . Person asks if the yard is fenced ? I tell them No its not . They tell me that they have an ESA dog . And that I have to make reasonable accomaditions . I told them that I know that . they show up and see the neighbors on either side have fences . " Oh thats great only the back and the 2 sides need fencing " I said no , not really , those fences are 1 foot inside their property lines , I was informed by both neighbors that I cannot attach to their fence . So that would leave a 1 ft opening . The entire yard would need to be fenced at your expense . " How much would that be ? " I Tell them that the neighbor on the right just spent 12 grand and his yard is smaller . I reminded them I have to make reasonable accomodations , but you pay for it . They got a bit angry and told me " Well you wont be able to rent to someone with dogs then " ............................Oh well

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Matthew Paul:

    I have a nice SFH a 2/1 with a full unfinished basement . Its up for rent . Person asks if the yard is fenced ? I tell them No its not . They tell me that they have an ESA dog . And that I have to make reasonable accomaditions . I told them that I know that . they show up and see the neighbors on either side have fences . " Oh thats great only the back and the 2 sides need fencing " I said no , not really , those fences are 1 foot inside their property lines , I was informed by both neighbors that I cannot attach to their fence . So that would leave a 1 ft opening . The entire yard would need to be fenced at your expense . " How much would that be ? " I Tell them that the neighbor on the right just spent 12 grand and his yard is smaller . I reminded them I have to make reasonable accomodations , but you pay for it . They got a bit angry and told me " Well you wont be able to rent to someone with dogs then " ............................Oh well


     UPDATE  round 2  of showings .  3 couples show up , first couple shows promise , meet the criteria they had 2 other places to look at . 

    Second couple looks and I ask about credit score and income , the rent is $1850 a month , she says she makes $2800 a month and its her , her mother and 2 kids ( mom makes no money ). I tell her she wont qualify , she asks why not ?  I told her rent 1850 , utilities all in about 300 asked about car payment and insurance that was 600 a month . I said thats 2700 a month , How are you going to eat , buy gas or pay another bill ? Their response was , then you are asking too much for rent , no one can afford that .

    Third couple shows up in a nice car , well dressed . The car has magnetic signs tree service , landscaping , power washing . Show them the house , I say I guess you are self employed , He says yes . I will need 2 years taxes , bank statements , and a profit and loss to verify income . He says he doesnt have that , he only works for cash . BUT he is a man of his word and that carries weight from where he comes from . I tell him I am sure it does , but here it doesnt get you a place to rent , sorry . 

    The fourth person contacts me 5 minutes before the scheduled tima and says they are running 30 minutes late . I text them back and tell them , sorry I am leaving in 5 minutes , dont bother coming . .......Got the please its not my fault , there was traffic , I really want to see it ...........  Sorry , I have someplace I have to be in 20 minutes , I will not reschedule it , get back with me mid week .   ..............Her response  " If you cant make the time , then I am not interested " 

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Saw this on Facebook today:

    "Looking for 3 to 4 bed

    I don't have good credit im looking for a second chance we have plenty of income . Felon friendly have a service dog for seizures and a yorkie very well trained both of them . Have my daughter and her fiance and their baby and my mom and our friend that helps me that will be staying with us , i have Parkinson's any price range from 600 to 1200 i also get Rental assistance from burrel we have been homeless since November would like a place to call home. Around Springfield, rolla, mt. Grove, a bunch of other plaes as well . Prefer 2 bathroom if possible and not a whole lot of steps"

    The photos in the post included two people who looked like meth addicts, several with excessive(10 or more) face piercings, and someone holding a baby in their lap in the front seat of a moving vehicle.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    4y
    I have had fake SSNs from those who are in the USA illegally - they have no real SSN to give you.

    Quote from @Kimberly T.:

    …
    *************************************************

    Also had someone put in an application with an obviously fake SSN/TIN (he wrote 999-99-9999).  Seriously, we told them we check credit, did he not think that would come back as an issue?  Who does that?

    **************************************************

    …

  • Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 31 votes
    4y

    From my ad on Zillow for a 3/2 house on 1/2 acre with a HIGHLY detailed description of how to apply, qualifications, policies, etc.

    Guy: I need an application or someone to call me or email me. (No phone number or email address is provided from him)

    Me: Hello, I mentioned specifically in the ad to either message me through the website with your email address or to call/text me to receive an application.

    Guy: 

    No response back so I move on. But curiously, as with anyone who has their name filled out in Zillow so it appears in their message, I type his name into Google.

    I find out he had been arrested for selling meth and driving while under the influence of drugs 2 years ago...no thanks.

    A woman comes to look at the house. I let her tour the house, answer questions, everything going normal, she brought her and her husband's applications  (I didn't look them over while she was looking at the house). She asks to take her husband on a "virtual tour" and she shows him the house. She then hangs up with him and as we're wrapping up asks: Would I install security cameras as her husband works away from home often and she would be alone with the child and if it would be a problem if her husband kept his truck in the driveway. Somewhat confused, I ask her why his truck would be a problem. She tells me it's a semi... I tell her I'm not sure how thick the slab is and if it would support a semi....and the house is being shown as is with no modifications being made. She says ok well let me know if you change your mind but we really want it and can work something out.

    I take a look at the applications after she leaves. Her husband is Guy from above...and apparently she was using her maiden name on her Zillow message.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.