Rental Property Investor · Midland, TX · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 17 votes
Just wondering if there could be any issues with unknowingly renting to illegal immigrants. As a landlord, are we responsible for inquiring as to their citizenship? Could we get into trouble legally if we don’t?
Princeton, NJ · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 114 votes
6y
@Sean Tippens as long as they pay the rent and take care of your property, I don’t see any issues. They are, after all, believe it or not, “patriotic” or not, human beings just like anyone else.
They need a place to live, a place to raise their children. And trust me, they will probably take care of the place more than the “citizens” of this county.
Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
@Sean Tippens
Well, that was a can of worms you opened up. Too bad people cannot stick to just answering your question.
No, you do not have to worry about being charged with a crime or anything like that if it is discovered your tenant is an illegal alien. Immigration does not target landlords. They don’t hardly ever charge employers for hiring illegals.
Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
I live in the central valley of CA.... HUGE agricultural area........ TON of immigrants with a large % not here legally....... no one is getting prosecuted for providing housing to illegal immigrants..... NO ONE....including all the farmers and construction companies.... NO ONE..... so legally the chance of you running into a issue is minuscule.....
As for the emotional aspect of immigrants.....its ALL based on FEAR........ fear that they are bad people..... fear that they will take jobs...... fear that they "use the system". All myths have been disproven many times, but people ignore FACT and stick with their fear....
And with some landlords the fear that they are horrible people and than they will not pay rent and just take off and you cant do anything. In my experience most are great, hard working people that are just trying to live the American dream and keep a low profile.
Yes it can be harder to accurately screen them compared to "legal" citizens.... but show me the data.... not the "gut feeling"..... that shows they default and cause more issues than legals
How many of the post on BP about nightmare tenants are about legal citizens vs illegals immigrants?
Rental Property Investor · TX · Member since 2019 · 236 posts · 392 votes
6y
assuming you don't make all your decisions based on money and thus allowing illegal people, pot growers, human traffickers, etc to have access to your properties, then this should be a no-brainer. How would an illegal alien pass your credit and background check? How would they have a SSN unless there is fraud involved? How could you verify rental history? I wouldn't lease to a LEGAL American if I couldn't verify their eviction, conviction and credit history. Unfortunately this is why my old political party is no longer my party... they put the $$$ of having illegal people in this country above all else. "It brings me money so it must be ok!!!" Don't let this happen to you, don't sell your soul for money. You can rent to people that aren't here breaking the law. I'm sorry if this offends anyone ... wait, no I'm not.
It's a good cash flow steam. Many of them are not married (at least not verifiably in America) By keeping there income separate, the men work illegibly while the women collect what they can from the government. It's sad, but politically protected, and they do not pay into the system via taxes, so they have less problems coming up with rent money.
When the hospital asks who the father of a child is, they just say "father unknown" so there is no one to collect child support from.
Generally speaking, they just pay the rent, they are very grateful for what they are getting, and will not try to sue you for going over your 21 day disposition deadline or some thing silly like that. You will not hear an illegal claiming there dog is for emotional support. They will just get rid of it when you confront them.
Think about it, do you ask your tenants if they killed there unborn children? Do you have a problem with men who have sex with other men living in your homes? ( I dare you to find that wrong ). Do some of your driveways have trucks parked in them with inappropriate bumper stickers showing where children can read them? or a set of rubber balls hanging from the back bumper? I for one never thought in a million years I live to see women with skulls tattooed on there arms.
You kind of have to set aside some of those feelings and opinions to make it in business in these last days. If not, you will get a permanent "landlord face". You will drowned in your anger if you read that liberal stuff that is being put out. We got rid of our TV. I feel so much better.
If you don't like it, I suppose you could dispose of there applications, just don't brag about it to your friends.
Shawn Coverdell
Homes in the Hood
So you are driven by money over all else? And your gay comment is ridiculous since it is not illegal for me to be gay in this country. But being here without permission from the government IS illegal, so don't equate MY situation with YOUR profiting scheme. You are literally justifying illegal activity because you are getting stable $$ from it. That's called selling your soul my darling.
Rental Property Investor · Depends on where my employer sends me · Member since 2018 · 171 posts · 142 votes
6y
@Nathan G. Great observation. I’m a federal agent and the majority of my cases deal with some form of identity crime for people who are in this country illegally. When the cops come to break down a door to arrest someone, they don’t replace your door, the prop it back up and leave house with all the valuables that they have taken pictures of (this is not the rule but trust me when I say it happens a lot). Does that sound like an enjoyable scenario for what can be viewed as subjectively easy rent? Not getting the political aspects of this just want people to look at the worst case scenario and more importantly have a plan to mitigate risk of this scenario (not renting to illegals is one option) because there are some members on this forum that will go through with this strategy anyway.
Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 13 votes
6y
I am not a lawyer but my guess is that it is the best situation you could be in. They will want to avoid legal battles. I bet they will be perfect tenents. Your job is not to try and figure out how is here legally. That is the job of the US government.
I am not a lawyer but my guess is that it is the best situation you could be in. They will want to avoid legal battles. I bet they will be perfect tenents. Your job is not to try and figure out how is here legally. That is the job of the US government.
"they want to avoid legal battles and thus will be great tenants" Isn't that exploitation? its ok to knowingly rent to such people that break the law because its a great situation to make money? Why not just run a meth house then?
My word, people will agree to anything these days if it will make them a buck. Thank goodness to those of us that still have a backbone.
Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 662 posts · 1k+ votes
6y
@Keith A. Let's get back to reality! SOMEONE who is here in this country illegally but is renting from you is not NOT COMMITTING A CRIME RENTING FROM YOU. Running a METH house IS COMMITTING A CRIME IN YOUR PROPERTY and you knowing that just might make you culpable as well. Also, I am sure there are very rare cases of police making an arrest of an illegal occupant and your house getting torn up but that is most likely connected to additional crimes that your illegal just happened to do. No different than if you had rented to a U S citizen who committed a crime that caused the authorities to come crashing in.
Life insurance companies mitigate risk by not insuring sick people or said another way only insuring healthy people. If a landlord deems it less risk in our litigious society today to rent to illegals then that just might be a good business decision.
Like many landlords have already said on this board, illegals have proven to be GREAT tenants for many reasons, yet some on this thread continue to beat the fear drum.
@Keith A. Let's get back to reality! SOMEONE who is here in this country illegally but is renting from you is not NOT COMMITTING A CRIME RENTING FROM YOU. Running a METH house IS COMMITTING A CRIME IN YOUR PROPERTY and you knowing that just might make you culpable as well. Also, I am sure there are very rare cases of police making an arrest of an illegal occupant and your house getting torn up but that is most likely connected to additional crimes that your illegal just happened to do. No different than if you had rented to a U S citizen who committed a crime that caused the authorities to come crashing in.
Life insurance companies mitigate risk by not insuring sick people or said another way only insuring healthy people. If a landlord deems it less risk in our litigious society today to rent to illegals then that just might be a good business decision.
Like many landlords have already said on this board, illegals have proven to be GREAT tenants for many reasons, yet some on this thread continue to beat the fear drum.
Joe - there is no fear drum, my husband is hispanic. I used to think the same way as you... what do laws matter if people are profiting and as long as I keep this unicorns and rainbows view of life. But it's not reality. NOTHING is pius about what you are saying. "illegal" is illegal, and renting to illegals is like dumping gas on an already flaming dumpster fire no matter how hard you justify. But hey! You get a tenant that will loyally pay you thanks to exploitation and fear, and most likely you will find a person that will do contract work for you below minimum wage. Great!
Everything you stated shows you justify behavior based off of money. And if you want to see dwellings full of crime, human trafficking, drugs and police activity on a daily basis, come on down to McAllen and I'll show you some great places where no one has a social security number that you can invest your money in.
Most hispanics are great people, I'm spending my life with one. But illegal is a word for a reason no matter how much cnn tells you otherwise ;)
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
@Sean Tippens I had a handyman recently get picked up by immigration, while he had $2000 of a clients money. We had to find someone else to do the job and never got any of the money back.
In my mind there is too much risk renting to illegal immigrants for some of the same reasons. What if they are arrested and deported? I’m out at least a months rent and some money to turn the unit.
Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 662 posts · 1k+ votes
6y
@Keith A. it is not about exploiting illegals, I view them as people needing a service that I can provide. I provide it to them when many of you won't. I don't do it as a charity, I don't do it to take advantage of them; I do it because it makes good business sense. However, when I do it, I charge below-market rents and provide a SUPERIOR product. I do that because that is my strategy regardless of who I rent to. My turnover is almost nil and my tenants stay with me year over year. The second duplex I bought in 2005 still has one tenant from 2005 and the other side left me last year to buy a house. There are bad tenants regardless of legal or not. You tend to highlight the nasty aspect of illegals and I understand there is that element. You seem to cast all illegals in that basket. Like I mentioned earlier, I interview all my tenants, I am hands-on and I don't advocate renting to all illegal as I don't advocate renting to just anyone who applies either.
You are right in one aspect, I also like employing them too. I take them away from other Hispanic bosses who pay less than minimum wage and I hire them at 200-250 a day depending on skill level. The day being 8-10 hours and also includes lunch. Yes, they are eager to learn and work. They will pull a toilet, replace a faucet, patch drywall, remove popcorn, install baseboard, and paint anything. They are willing and able to do just about anything and yes it would be easy to take advantage of them, some do, I don't. These are hard-working people who's only crime is risking life and willing exposure to discrimination to make a better life for themselves and their families. Yes indeed, I am NOT talking about the drug smugglers, human sex traffickers and those committed to a life of crime that you so think all illegals are.
@Jordan Moorhead, come on man! You had a handyman who stiffed you for $2000. Wow and an illegal at that! Really? That is amazing, I know no U S Citizen would ever do that to you, just an illegal. Come on Man, use your head! First off, I pay my handymen when the job is done or as we go. If you gave someone 2000 without knowing them then you sir need to tighten up your management skills. That is the free tip of the day. BTW we beat this horse to death, I'm done with this thread. Cheers.
@Keith A. it is not about exploiting illegals, I view them as people needing a service that I can provide....
Illegal is illegal now matter how much money you make off of them and no matter how pius you speak to justify it.
you sound like the cnn news casters i hear on the airport tvs. There is a way to get here legally, and that's how people should come here, and those people make great renters. You can proclaim your saintliness and cherry pick what laws you obey, but it boils down to money. I choose to cater to the hard working people that can pass a background check, have a financial history and credit score. Legal immigrants make exceptional renters.
At any rate - I was answering the original posters question. You are never going to change my mind.... I "walked away" from your line of thinking just about 2 years ago. Have a good evening.
Smyrna, DE · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 1 vote
6y
@Nathan G.
Just to educate you all. I see that many people on here call immigrants without legal status “illegal
immigrants”. Usuage of that term is incorrect and just simply wrong. The proper term is “undocumented persons”. Thought it would help all of you to know the proper terms when you are referring to human beings. Thank you!
Just to educate you all. I see that many people on here call immigrants without legal status “illegal
immigrants”. Usuage of that term is incorrect and just simply wrong. The proper term is “undocumented persons”. Thought it would help all of you to know the proper terms when you are referring to human beings. Thank you!
Aliens that are here illegally are illegal aliens. "illegals" for short. Being the speech police and telling everyone your special thoughtful humanitarian unicorn fart correct usage of a word is cute though.
Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 71 votes
6y
I would not knowingly rent to illegal aliens and I would make sure I did my due diligence to verify the documents they give me are valid. If employers had the same thinking, we wouldn't have this massive problem of illegal aliens in this country. Laws are laws for a reason and should be enforced.
And by the way, the legal term is "illegal alien" as @Keith A. pointed out.
I am in another country now for work. You wouldn't believe what I need to show to prove I am here legally, with a valid visa, and rent an apartment. I don't see anything wrong with that, its common sense. The US is the most welcoming and passionate place on earth, but there is a legal process for coming here. I know people who have waited years to come to the US legally. I don't see any benefit to giving people a home to rent when their first act on US soil is a crime!
By the way, my wife is an immigrant who came to the US legally. I am all for immigration, but we do need to know who is coming in the country. If that is offensive to you, so be it.
Investor · Clatskanie, OR · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 233 votes
6y
I think it depends on your nitch. in nice neighborhoods. Hell no. but if you buy D and F properties like I do, then you best get hard real quick. This is not a game of political correctness. To make it in the Hood, you have to change your values somewhat to meet the area needs.
If you the tenants only sin is illegal status, that is a saint in some areas. Rent to the illegal immigrant or the American white kid with gages in is ears proudly displaying his butt crack while holding a leash to his new "Pit".
Rental Property Investor · Midland, TX · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 17 votes
6y
@Anthony Wick lol can of worms. that’s a great point on the mention of employment. A lot of companies that are mom and pop in the surrounding oil and gas industry hire illegals simply because they are hard workers and don’t complain. The big corporations on the other won’t touch them . It’s kinda like comparing a land lord with a few properties to one that owns massive apartment complexes. There’s no way a illegal immigrant can become a tenant with the larger operations. But I’ve noticed illegal immigrants are the ones hired to maintain the upkeep and housekeeping of the property . They need a place to live of course . Our goal was find out from experienced investors can and if how can you make this work . Love the feedback. Thanks
Rental Property Investor · Midland, TX · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 17 votes
6y
@Malik Eleby I saved up and bought property cash from a wholesaler . Savings . I’m in the oil gas industry. The lowest yearly earnings in this area 45k 50k. Dominoes pays $15 dollars an hour here starting pay and can’t keep workers due to the competitive wages of the oil and gas industry. Making the funds where easy to be honest. Most people around here blow there money on liabilities. Easy come easy go . I used to have the same mindset . Rich dad poor dad!