Huge red flag, What do you think?

Huge red flag, What do you think?

Investor · shawnee oklahoma · Member since 2017 · 194 posts · 148 votes

It's been a little over a year since I first allowed a specific tenant to move into my property. I let her know that enough time had passed and I would like to do the first annual inspection and asked her to provide a date and time that worked for her.

Silence, sounded like some kind of panic. Then she went into a rant about how we are supposed to be building trust with one another and I must not trust her. Then she said in all her years of renting she has never been asked for an inspection. (After I assured her it was pretty normal). She further went on to say, if she had known she would have never moved in. (It's right in the contract that we went over together and she signed)

She hung up on me.

What do you think? RED FLAG? ... what should I do?

Thank you :)

0Reply
116 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Saint Joseph, MO · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 85 votes
6y

@Jason J. I’d put money on one of these four:

1) Unauthorized pet;

2) Unauthorized occupant;

3) Damage that she doesn’t want you to know about;

4) Illegal activity going on inside.

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2018 · 225 posts · 180 votes
    6y

    @Jason J. Double Check CA law, but I was told you can enter any room that has a CO alarm to inspect it. She can not deny these inspections.

  • Rental Property Investor · Helena, MT · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 117 votes
    6y
    I think you should follow up on this post with your findings. They'll probably be pretty interesting.
  • Rental Property Investor · Shakopee, MN · Member since 2015 · 985 posts · 374 votes
    6y

    Once a year inspections are pretty common and many times even 6 month inspections.  I know people that use that time to not only check the condition of the property, but also to change the furnace filter, replace CO2, Smoke alarm batteries.

  • Investor · Broward County, FL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
    6y

    @BOB CRANEY

    DO NOT CALL the police if the tenant refuses you entry. It is a civil matter and the police has no business documenting your civil issue. If you need a third party then have a third party present who would be able to testify in court if the time come. The police won’t be your third party and if you ask them to respond you will piss them off and loose any goodwill that they can provide when you really need them.

    Call the police however if you have a physical fight with your tenant or any other CRIMINAL activity on your property.

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Don't get carried away with the details of why... As per the lease and inspection will be performed. No need to complicate it or make it something more then it has to be.

    same goes for your thoughts, keep it professional. If she is hiding something deal with it as it comes. If not, continue on with normal inspection as per your lease.

  • Investor · Clatskanie, OR · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 233 votes
    6y

    20 bucks says she has a Pit bull or similar dangerous dog or moved people in who are not on the lease (for a reason) . Get her out NOW!  anything less is a sign of weakness and WILL be exploited by your tenant. 

    She is done. Gone. Put a notice on her door NOW!

    Shawn Coverdell

    Homes in the Hood

  • Sean CanadaPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Jason J. I would say trust goes both ways, is it in your lease agreement for annual inspection? if so than you can just differ to that and tell tenant you are following through with agreement, which is keeping your word, which is building trust. As well, the fact is that it is your house and you are allowed to check on it for the well being of your tenants (make sure all is well for them) and your investment

  • Murray, KY · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    I would do inspection right away!

  • Investor · Twin Cities, MN · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @David J. What happened? Don't keep us in suspense!

  • Investor · shawnee oklahoma · Member since 2017 · 194 posts · 148 votes
    6y

    I did the inspection. 
    I found quite a bit of general wear for only 1 year.  just dirt, scratches on floor etc.
    A few handles on cabinets were missing.

    Also saw some nail polish that had spilled on lament flooring. A few damaged baseboards
    I found a big hole in her sheet rock near the front door. She had an elaborate story about a crazy neighbor that came inside and tried to "tase" her. Her rear car window was busted out too, glass everywhere. Apparently part of the same dramatic event.
    She got quite a few new tattoos. One of which is Giant letters on her arm that say "F**k OFF!" ... (albeit no stars to hide the bad word)
    I found a stripper pole setup in the living room that she says is for "exercise"
    Closet mirror doors in master bedroom busted. Bathroom tub slider doors busted.
    AC needed a new thermostat. Sent my Electrician to look at AC and my handyman to fix sheet rock and they confirmed that she had a dog. Although the dog was nowhere in sight while I was there.
    WOW! Landlord life is always full of surprises. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Fwiw in all my years renting I never had an inspection. I also dont do them. (I have B class bldgs) 


    if you want to inspect send notice as per your local laws 

  • Investor · shawnee oklahoma · Member since 2017 · 194 posts · 148 votes
    6y

    What are thoughts about my findings after inspection?

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @David J.:

    What are thoughts about my findings after inspection?

    I'd fix everything, everything.  Give her the bill  for each item as you fix it and tell her it is to be paid before you will accept the next rent check.  If she pays rent only, apply the rent to the damages.

    Once the bill is paid or the rent is over due, then evict her! 

    Also give her a notice on the dog.

  • Investor · shawnee oklahoma · Member since 2017 · 194 posts · 148 votes
    6y

    Her rent is paid 100% by section 8. Her portion is $0. 
    She would deny having a dog of course.

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Kristine Turnier:

    Plus they put outside locks on all of the bedroom doors. We assumed they were locking the kids in their rooms at night.

    In my market this is generally a sign that the tenant is renting out rooms.  Boarding houses 

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    When someone hangs up on my I call or text right back and say “I’m not sure what happened, but we lost connection right in the middle of our conversation. I’m sure you wouldn’t hang up on my, so I’m guessing your phone died. Call me back when you get someplace where you can plug in.  

    In your case, I would end it with - As we discussed, I’ll be doing an inspection on ?/?/19 between ?-?. It would be great if you can be there, but don’t sweat losing income by taking off work.  I can let myself in and will text you when I leave to confirm it is all locked up.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Jason J.

    What are you waiting around for ? Her to burn the house down ? Start a crack house . She already started a brothel it sounds like ! Get this idiot out

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.