I Only want to accept section 8 VOUCHER for my current rental

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y

I too enjoy punching myself in the face

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    I too enjoy punching myself in the face

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    @Charlie Moore this depends on your state law. Contact the local HUD office for specifics.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    See if you can advertise on a section 8 specific site. They should have a website for this.

    I have a couple section 8 properties and the program and tenants have really worked out well for me.

  • Alpha, NJ · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Charlie Moore Interesting question. I’d assume that would technically be discrimination based on income, I could totally be wrong, maybe you’ll get an award for descriminating against those NOT living on government subsidies... I’d think you could set your income criteria for renting high (4 or 5 times monthly rent) to have a reason to disqualify or deter non sec. 8 tenants.

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I don’t believe there is any state that would not allow this.  Source of income in general is not a “protected class”.  In some states, it is considered illegal to not accept subsidized sources of income, but in no state is it considered illegal to not accept sources of earned income, to the best of my knowledge. Gosection8.com is the best place to advertise this. And put a sign out front saying FOR RENT - SEC 8! Most SEC 8 tenants stick close to where their family members live, and a sign in the yard will get results. NOTE - If you are worried that this will target it for vandalism, the people in that neighborhood already know your house is vacant.  ;)

  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I don't know DC that well, but I believe "income" is seen as a protected class (check with an attorney or just use a search engine). So no, you likely cannot do that. 

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Just put the first line "Section 8 Welcome!"   and people can figure it out.   

    If it's priced higher than market, that will also make it very obvious! Check your state laws, but I wouldn't put anything about who you discourage, but you can put who you are encouraging, at least I see it all that time in VA!

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    6y

    @Cody L.

    Shutup

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    6y

    @John Underwood

    Is it illegal to say “ I’m only accepting section 8 “

    I mean, I don’t want people to apply and waste there money

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    6y

    @Linda S.

    Yeah I just feel bad for normal applicants to waste there money.

    Because I am NOT renting to any regular person but I can’t say “ no you can’t apply “

  • Developer · . · Member since 2014 · 520 posts · 162 votes
    6y

    @Charlie Moore it is beyond illegal to discriminate either way. Contact DC housing they have a lease up day once a month where landlords and tenants meet and sign leases on the spot. Good luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    6y

    @Shadonna N.

    I don’t know what you are saying

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    6y

    @Patti Robertson

    That is so true patti! I invest in the ghetto! So much crime!

    Now I know why people don’t put for rent signs out!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Charlie Moore:

    @John Underwood

    Is it illegal to say “ I’m only accepting section 8 “

    I mean, I don’t want people to apply and waste there money

     I do not know. If you only advertise on the Section 8 website I doubt any one else would even apply.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    If you place an Ad on Section 8's website, I think you will be bombarded with applications anyways. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 956 posts · 600 votes
    6y

    @Charlie Moore Curious why? In OKC you can charge higher than market rents to section 8 tenants but it has to be marketed at that rate. So we may market at $950 a month when average market rents for the area are $850, knowing that the gov will pay that rate. However, if a non section 8 person applies at $950, why not lease to them? Maybe you're working another strategy though! 

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Charlie Moore,

    I would not be writing that on anything. Take "Only Section 8" and replace it with "Only African Americans", "Only Christians", "Only (insert protected class)". The FAIR in fair housing is meant to make it equal across the board, period. If your company policies/practices, simply have you getting a property prepped and rented to the best available tenant you will be fine. If you are trying to secretly discriminate in some manner it will come back at some point. I would encourage all landlords to be prepared to accept a Section 8 candidate if they apply for the rental by having all their necessary paperwork ready. I would never encourage anyone to throw out 80% of the rest of the available renters. 

    Personally from a business perspective I would like to have every single person in the area fighting for my product, not refusing to sell it to a majority of the population. Good Luck in whatever you decide.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 99 posts · 33 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Charlie Moore:

    Is it illegal to NOT let anyone else apply to the home, if they do not have the SEC 8 VOUCHER?

    Sounds a bit sketchy with all these discrimination laws. Now, If you post it online saying your Section 8 friendly or accept section 8 vouchers you should be flooded with leads to choose from. Good luck!! 

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Vandenbos hello my name is Malcolm Phillips I am new to this site interested in learning and networking may I ask for your Assistance to answer further questions reguarding your comment post I’ve noticed.thank you have a great day.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 546 posts · 227 votes
    6y

    At the end of the day if you're violating FHA law, then yes. Technically this is a form of discrimination (by alienating other groups -- I think Peter has a point about "income" being a protected class in DC; but don't quote me on that). Having said that, it is easy for people to see the downsides to renting to Sec. 8 but there are some pros there (I know there are a lot of stigmas attached to renting to individuals who hold Section 8 housing vouchers; it is easier to think through the cons - however, some of the pros might be that you open up the property to a bigger pool of potential applicants. In many instances a large portion of the rent is almost guaranteed to hit your pocket each month - again, this may not cover the full amount but they are consistent payments coming in (paid by the government). Typically the tenants are already prescreened and you're much more likely to have a lower vacancy rate. However, there's always a certain level of risk that you take in accepting Section 8 vouchers and for you, you need to decide how you'd like to proceed - I know a portion of the rent is guaranteed, which is great, but I also wonder if the portion that the tenant is responsible for is considered riskier when compared to non-section 8 tenant candidates). Either way, interested to learn which path you take! Best of luck! @Charlie Moore

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Mike Cumbie the Fair Housing laws are not intended to make it fair across the board. It was designed to stop discrimination against protected classes.

    It is legal for me to decline an applicant because they are an attorney. Attorneys are not protected classes, just like smokers are not either. I can say no to smokers just like I can say no to attorneys. I can also say no to dog owners, even though I’m a dog lover and smoker.

  • Rental Property Investor · Closter, NJ · Member since 2015 · 884 posts · 722 votes
    6y

    Why do you only wish to rent to Section 8?

    Have you ever rented to Section 8 before?

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Account Closed

    "It is legal for me to decline an applicant because they are an attorney. Attorneys are not protected classes, just like smokers are not either. I can say no to smokers just like I can say no to attorneys. I can also say no to dog owners, even though I’m a dog lover and smoker."

    I will respectfully disagree with that in CA and DC. (Where the OP is stating and where you are)

    "Source of income" is a protected class in both. For instance in CA: 

    California's non-discrimination laws are considered progressive. ... Source of income: Judgement and discrimination about where you are employed and how you make your money cannot factor into a landlord's decision to lease you a property.

    I read that as if someone comes up and says "I am an attorney/stripper/garbage collector/marble salesman" You cannot discriminate. I of course may be wrong, but if I am wrong and rent anyway I am not dealing with a discrimination case. If you deny someone because they make 3X rent selling PokiMan cards at Trade shows, they may very well have a case. In the end it comes down to what policies you are prepared to defend in a court or in front of a panel. Writing in an advertisement "Nobody who makes their living working in a Fair Housing office here in CA will ever rent from me" is a quick fire way to find an official answer. 

    Now you of course can discriminate against smokers and dogs (That are not medically prescribed) all you want. 

  • Developer · . · Member since 2014 · 520 posts · 162 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Charlie Moore:

    @Shadonna N.

    I don’t know what you are saying

    Contact DC Housing and let them know you are interested in the Section 8 program.  Good Luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    This is like running an ad on a dating site saying

    I only am interested in unemployed morbidly obese women with body odor

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.