Duplex under contact but pitbulls next door. Should I be worried

Duplex under contact but pitbulls next door. Should I be worried

Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes

So I have a duplex under contract

- In a C - area, - All Brick exterior, - Cpvc updated, - Electrical looks good, -Both AC are 8 years of age, - Roof looks good, - Tile floors, - Rent should be around $1200 gross monthly and net would be around $600.

The other day, I attended the home inspection and as I pulled up, I realize the next door neighbor had about 5 pitbulls (not exaggerating) all loose in the front yard. One pitbull is about to drop another litter. Looks like they sell the dogs.

Their yard isn't equipped to handle this type of wear and tear. The reason I know this is because while being there, one of the pitbulls got out and the owner had to go get the dog.

It's probably the worst looking house and yard on the block which happens to be next to the duplex under contract. Sigh.....

My question is: Would you still do the deal?  Should I be worried?

5Reply
429 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
Buy the duplex and then save up and buy the neighbor house.
See this reply in the discussion

102 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Buy the duplex and then save up and buy the neighbor house.
  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes
    6y

    @John Teachout I understand.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Bloomington, MN · Member since 2019 · 404 posts · 542 votes
    6y

    @Mitchlyn D. If the numbers work, go for it. It can only get better from here, right? Meaning, maybe they move. Maybe the city/county/whatever closes them down.

    The down side is that you might have tenant complaints about the pit bulls, for various reasons.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes
    6y

    @Corey Hawkinson Yeah, the complaining part worries me. The numbers work but I’m still hesitant..

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Just tell the tenants that if a dog is running loose, call animal control.  The dogs will have to be licensed and rabied and kept contained if animal control gets involved.
  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Mitchlyn D.

    Cancel the deal.

  • Rental Property Investor · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2018 · 974 posts · 645 votes
    6y

    Sounds like future headaches... would you want to live there? Truth room... Is it really a C area and you're convincing yourself that it isn't a C- or D? Here some options:

    1. You could go ahead and call animal control now... and be a "concerned neighbor." 

    2. Offer to buy that person's house.

    3. Offer to buy all the dogs and then bring them to a shelter.

    4. Cancel the deal

    5. Look in the county/city ordinances and find out if there are any laws about breeding or having a business on that property and report the property and illegal business out of a residence... 

    Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Most municipalities have some type of leash laws and/or require an animal to wear a collar with a rabies tag on it. (even in rural Georgia where I live that's required)

    So if the animals are getting off the property there are probably remedies. If the municipality doesn't have an animal control dept, that's usually handled through the sheriff's office.

    Buying the dogs won't help as they'll just get more.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I wanted to add that pitbulls are considered a dangerous breed by most so if you make any complaints about them, it's more likely to get a response than if you squeak about the neighbor's beagle barking too much. And if talking to the dog owners doesn't elicit an acceptable response/solution, there's all kinds of other avenues to solve this.

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Mitchlyn D.  -  You're smart to be worried about this.  I would heavily consider walking away.  This is a huge liability waiting to happen, and it's going to scare away good tenants.   Ultimately you should ask yourself, Would I be comfortable living here if I had to?  If the answer is a hard no, then I'd walk.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    sounds like that Is worse than a boarded up or burned out house as a neighbor . You may straighten out a tenant but sadly you are not going to fix the neighbors conduct . I’d take a good hard look at this deal . Would you want to live by crazy folks with vicious dogs that frequently get loose ? Especially if you have children ???

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes
    6y

    @Lynnette E. Possible solution.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes
    6y

    @Mark Fries Hmmm. I was thinking the same thing. Could be more headache.

    If they had a well maintained property it would be a non issue. But they are really bringing down the block.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes
    6y

    @Joseph Firmin I would live there but it's the neighbors that dog issue that worries me the Most.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes
    6y

    @John Teachout That's way too many dogs to purchase. Lol.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes
    6y

    @Michael Ablan I said the same thing about them scaring away potential good tenants.

    Then I'll be left with picking tenants from a lower pool who just need a place to stay and won't take care of the property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes
    6y

    @Dennis M. Yeah, good point. It's annoying.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes
    6y

    @Corey Hawkinson Yeah, it's a tough decision. The money would be a home run but my peace of mind is worth much more.

  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Mitchlyn D.

    What's the address? You said it was C- area but I suspect its D or F, based on the gross rent.

    If true, pit bulls on the neighbors property will just make a bad buy even worse....

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mark Fries:

    @Mitchlyn D.

    Cancel the deal.

    100%  going into a deal where you already know of this situation is very foolish..  this is one of the main reasons houses wont sell or wont rent.. 

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    read your contract. You could be liable for more than your earnest money deposit if you walk.
  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Mitchlyn D.

    I wouldn’t have given this property a 2nd look. Not only would that scare the crap out of me, prospective tenants will likely be scared also. I wouldn’t even get out the car.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes
    6y

    @Jay Hinrichs Yeah, but the numbers work so damn well. But peace of mind is more.

    I didn't get into real estate to create a 2nd job. I'm afraid this property will become that!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mitchlyn D.:

    @Jay Hinrichs Yeah, but the numbers work so damn well. But peace of mind is more.

    I didn't get into real estate to create a 2nd job. I'm afraid this property will become that!

    they only work well on paper.. you wont know how it works until you have owned it for a few years and dealt with the dog problem what if rents are lower .. what it it takes 2 months to rent  what If tenants keep moving because of the dogs.. then what ever you pencil now is irrelevant. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes
    6y

    @Matt M. I drove around the property and neighbor hood for about a month. I would go at night and in the afternoon.

    I even spoke to neighbors which is a standard practice of mines before buying any property.

    I didn't see anything that scared me away until I actually went to do the inspection and pulled up in the driveway 😑.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.