Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 844 posts · 1k+ votes
How do you guys deal with the problem of potential renters who don't show up? I've had two appointments for this morning and neither of them showed up. So basically I'm just sitting here alone in an empty unit on a beautiful sunny Saturday instead of spending time with my wife.
I even confirmed with these two people last night that we were still on for this morning. Both of them confirmed that they would be here but I am 0 for 2 so far. I've tried emailing them but of course they've both gone dark. This always happens to me when trying to get a unit rented....I don't know why I'm surprised it's happening again. I would estimate that whenever I have a unit available, the showup rate is less than 50%.
I guess I'm just old-fashioned, but if I tell someone that I'm going to be at a certain place and even confirm the night before, I would make it a point to show up.
Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 729 votes
6y
@Tony Kim I would DEFINITELY have the tenant do something that shows they're serious before committing my time to showing them the unit. My market has a severe lack of affordable housing and very high demand for rental units so it's easy to get (serious) tenants to fill out applications before showing them the unit. I would think Los Angeles would be the same.
If someone isn't for real then they just won't fill it out and they disqualify themselves, if they are they will! This should save you a lot of headache.
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y
That's your problem right there. Just posting on your own on Zillow and CL will get you all unqualified renters. Why would you set appointments with renters before knowing whether they can afford the place or whether they have past delinquencies? You need to set up a full process. In my market in NJ, there is no reason for an owner not to use an agent because the renter pays the fees. If you have an available unit in the LA area and only have two showings on a SAT, there are a lot of kinks to work out. The more info you get from tenants before you show it and the more you make clear the fees, the less internet options you may end up with, but better actual potential renters.
@Tony Kim Have them text you 30 minutes before the meeting time (or however long it takes you to get to the rental). If they don't text (or respond to your text), then don't assume they bailed and stay at home. Sadly more people these days seem to be flakes or don't respect other people's time.
Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 512 posts · 301 votes
6y
There is a reason for everything. Wal mart has old ladies at the front not because they are going to scream the loudest when you steal, but when they greet everyone, theft goes down. When you talk to them, that first conversation. The more questions you ask and the zero no conflicting answers you receive are high evidence of a candidate will is on track.
If I told every inquiry to meet me at the property, I think 30 percent would show.
Anyways, Tell them to call you 30 mins before you are suppose to meet you there to confirm(think I read that here, or in the book) and so that way you can know they will be there and pass on tenants who can’t follow simple instructions.(cause eventually you might have to tell them to turn the water off)
Every reply gets my auto responder. This Pre-screens them with 10 questions. If they’re a good fit I reply and book a time. If they don’t answer all 10 they get deleted. I use Square app to book them a time. Every showing is booked in groups with 10-15 min time slots, 2 per slot. Set the Square auto reminder to 1hr via text and 2hr via email. If they do not confirm via text message 1 hr prior my on site guy doesn’t go. (Unless he’s already there) If all it takes is an email to get you off the couch you’re gonna hate your life self managing.
Similar to what others are saying, definitely set up a pre-screening process before setting up a time for a showing. I also suggest calling the morning the day of rather than the night before - people will still flake but it seems like it helps. Good luck!
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 844 posts · 1k+ votes
6y
Wow, awesome responses everyone... Thanks! I had a few show up a moment ago and have 3 more remaining this afternoon...but all of these responses are definitely an eye opener.
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y
Great points by @Max T. and @Account Closed. I think that group showing windows are the best option because it also creates demand when others are looking. So if you have ten people interested, set them all in a one-hour block. And if you can pre-screen like Kris with a set of questions you will end up with a much smaller pool, but all people who are qualified and really interested.
Wesley that is really an awesome post you made! Thanks for sharing the link, I might never have seen it! Brilliant, and thank you. I owe you a coffee (not Starbucks though).
I always set them up all at the same time for the future. It Shows that you have other people looking at it and there’s competition. I would qualify them and briefly going over their income and credit history to make sure it worth your time.
Then I will tell them to text you a hour before to confirm. And tell them, If they don’t text, You won’t be there.
Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes
6y
@Tony Kim We also have problems with flakey potential tenants. It seems that they have no concern for anybody else's time. That being said we screen them by phone to make sure they meet all of our requirements before ever scheduling any showings. If they do meet the requirements we schedule showings in blocks for a few reasons, 1. To be most efficient with our time spent at property. 2. If a few out of the bunch are no shows we still are able to show the others instead of waiting around for people to show up. 3. It creates a competitive environment and we have had really good results from this method.
Rental Property Investor · Closter, NJ · Member since 2015 · 884 posts · 722 votes
6y
Ghosting happens regularly. The prospects don't even have the courtesy to call or text, to let you know they can't make it. Total lack of manners and civility these days.
Here’s my auto responder. Use at your own risk (review it and ensure it fits with local laws). 1/3 don’t reply once they get it, 1/3 half fill it out, 1/3 fill entirely. Unless your goal is to make the phone ring for no reason don’t give them your number until they’ve seen the place (down there you can use google voice).
Thanks for your inquiry about our unit for rent. Please complete and return the questions below and we will contact you to arrange for a viewing. Please note: viewings are by appointment only and only those who fill in the following information will be contacted to schedule a time to view this property. Please note: animal fees (if you have any!) are in addition to the posted rate and generally run $ 100/ dog & $50/ cat or other animal monthly with maximum number set at 2 animals. Occasionally an exception is made.
1. When are you looking for a place to rent?
2. How long do you want to rent for?
3. How long have you been living at your current residence?
4. Do you have any pets? (Describe)
5. How many people (adults & children) will be renting this suite?
6. Have you already given your current landlord notice?
7. Please tell me about your job(each adult). Details such as length of employment are useful
8. If you are offered the unit, do you have the deposit (1st months rent) immediately available?
9. Are you just starting your search or have you been looking for a while?
10. Please provide your name, phone number and preferred email address. I will most likely communicate via email for convenience.
Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 295 posts · 229 votes
6y
@Tony Kim I schedule an open house. I usually post the rental listing on a Wednesday or Thursday and then the open house will be the following Sunday afternoon. I let anyone who contacts me know about my rental requirements and allow them to come to the open house. Works out really well for me to see 10-15 potential applicants in a 2 hour period. I refuse to schedule one on one appointmenta because I don’t want to waste time driving over to the properties.
HIGHLAND, MD · Member since 2011 · 160 posts · 141 votes
6y
@Daniel Haberkost
First thing is stop being surprised and start being happy that the flakes done show because that is the first thing they are showing you. “I am a flake and my word cannot be trusted” . There are so many places the SST potential tenants have to choose from that yours is just one of cows in the herd. You have to incentivize a prospect to come to your place out of all the others. One of the best things that works for me is a free application or a rebate of the fee if they are accepted and sign a lease.
I only take and run applications fully from people I have prescreened and if all they told me was true, I would rent to them.
How much do you lose per day, when you are empty? Figure that # out and offer some of that as an incentive for a good qualified prospect. Use it to build traffic since you need to fill the funnel at the top with lots of prospects to be able to select the cream of the crop.
Flipper/Rehabber · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 166 posts · 88 votes
6y
What I did when trying to rent out my property was each week I selected a day I was free and each tenant That was interested in seeing the property I told them to come on that specific day. Then if they asked for another day I would say thats my only available day this week sorry. Then the ball is in their court find the time to come see the place. I would have about 9-12 groups of people show up throughout the day. Sometimes all at once since most people leave work at 5PM and the ones that flaked I rescheduled for a day during the following week I was available and I did this each week for about 4 weeks to get all my units rented.
Also when someone shows up to see your place and see 3 other groups of people there that also want to see the same place you start to create a lil old fashioned term called “supply and demand” or Atleast the perception of it.
My experience is the people on Zillow are extremely flaky....CL...maybe a little better. When potential tenants call you don't be so overly anxious to show the property because they will sense desperation. Ask them questions first about income, pets, how many people will potentially live at the property with them, etc.....If you feel comfortable, then let them know you can show the unit at such and such a time and ask if that works for them. Also, if you can show it the same day they call that is actually best, but no later than 24 hours later,....if they call you at 10am today, let them know you are showing the property tonight at 5pm and ask if that works for them.................Someone calls today at 10am,....and you let them know you can show it 4 days from now is a no, no.
Rental Property Investor · Shakopee, MN · Member since 2015 · 985 posts · 374 votes
6y
Prescreening will eliminate a lot of the no shows. Your time might be better served doing an open house style showing with prospective buyers. It all comes down to what is your time worth and how long you want to wait to be rented.
Ghosting happens regularly. The prospects don't even have the courtesy to call or text, to let you know they can't make it. Total lack of manners and civility these days.
when I sold real estate at the street level.. and when we used to actually show property .. it was done and sat and Sunday.. double booking was done you always had no shows.. it just is what it is.. when I was getting going it was doubly tough be cause we had no cell phones.. I had to give them the number of a phone booth close to where the properties were and hang out at the phone booth waiting for a call or for them to show up.
My very first sale in 1975 I waited at that phone booth 3 hours listening to CSNY tape over and over .. then it started to rain.. I was 18 I started to sniffle this business sucks etc etc.. I decided to wait 15 more minutes then drive the 3 hours home.. well they showed up at 3:14 I hoped in their Caddy drove them by the lots I wanted to sell them they picked 2 without getting out of the car would pay cash.. ( I got 15% commish for cash sales) so two lots 7k 1% a little over 1k in income and drove home.. so had about 6 hours of drive time 3 hours of wait time so I calculated I made about 100 dollars an hour on those folks.. when my last job was bagging groceries at 1.65 and hour.. and a great job was 10 bucks an hour.. I was HOOKED never looked back..