Contractor 路 Saint Paul, MN 路 Member since 2018 路 2 posts 路 2 votes
Tenant has requested permission to get a chicken coop. My initial thought is no... anyone have experience with this? Just seems dirty and unnecessary. This is in a duplex with a good size back yard. Thanks!
Flipper/Rehabber 路 Colorado Springs, CO 路 Member since 2016 路 499 posts 路 167 votes
6y
my tenants have a large back yard and the chicken house he built is very nice looking, its at the rear of the yard backing up to a right of way and there is NO SMELL and NO MESS. They have a couple of toddlers. the chickens are mostly in their enclosure. Our town allows about a dozen hens per family but no rooster. As far as I can tell the tenants take excellent care of their animals/garden and learned all about them before they got their chicks. The eggs they gave me are really small, though. The chickens are very pretty and healthy, (spoiled probably) not noisy. as long as your tenants are smart about it, and know the city rules, I think you should consider it. The only worry is predator birds like owls, falcons etc. or egg-suck dogs. (I had one of those) These same tenants grow lovely veggies in summer, which I also enjoy. The property they live in was used by the original family that sold it to me who did similar things so they are carrying on the tradition. I think it's great for the kids to experience small scale farming, the property came with a huge compost heap that got used up quickly. I discovered some vintage plants that survived for decades. I have another rental across the street from a loud and noisy turkey pair. Havent seen them, they hang out behind a high fence. Both houses are inside city limits. As you can tell i am in favor of pulticulture! There are enough folks doing this that your tenants can get advice etc. Don't know about goats. I know they wander in and out of my friend's house. very cuute.
@Thomas J Monson Assuming your municipality even allows them, there is the issue of keeping it clean and what to do with it after they move. I would just say no.
Flipper/Rehabber 路 Colorado Springs, CO 路 Member since 2016 路 499 posts 路 167 votes
6y
my tenants have a large back yard and the chicken house he built is very nice looking, its at the rear of the yard backing up to a right of way and there is NO SMELL and NO MESS. They have a couple of toddlers. the chickens are mostly in their enclosure. Our town allows about a dozen hens per family but no rooster. As far as I can tell the tenants take excellent care of their animals/garden and learned all about them before they got their chicks. The eggs they gave me are really small, though. The chickens are very pretty and healthy, (spoiled probably) not noisy. as long as your tenants are smart about it, and know the city rules, I think you should consider it. The only worry is predator birds like owls, falcons etc. or egg-suck dogs. (I had one of those) These same tenants grow lovely veggies in summer, which I also enjoy. The property they live in was used by the original family that sold it to me who did similar things so they are carrying on the tradition. I think it's great for the kids to experience small scale farming, the property came with a huge compost heap that got used up quickly. I discovered some vintage plants that survived for decades. I have another rental across the street from a loud and noisy turkey pair. Havent seen them, they hang out behind a high fence. Both houses are inside city limits. As you can tell i am in favor of pulticulture! There are enough folks doing this that your tenants can get advice etc. Don't know about goats. I know they wander in and out of my friend's house. very cuute.
Lagrangeville, NY 路 Member since 2017 路 144 posts 路 218 votes
6y
What the cluck?! Other than them attracting rodents, crapping all over the place, feathers everywhere, coop stinking to high hell, probably illegal on multifamily property, noises and clucks starting at 5am everyday, and your other tenant pissed off at you, I don't see a problem. Just make sure you're lease has you getting at least 50% of the eggs.
Rental Property Investor 路 Concord, GA 路 Member since 2015 路 3k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
6y
I have properties that are adjacent to poultry raisers, (and one property has feral chickens in the community) I have given permission to other tenants to have poultry but they never got any (rural area) but in a duplex situation, I think it would be a bad idea. We used to have chickens and guineas but don't anymore. We also live in a rural area. I was denied homeowner's insurance once because there was poultry on the property. Was never given a reason as to what the risk might be.
Rental Property Investor 路 Berwick, PA 路 Member since 2019 路 18 posts 路 6 votes
6y
@Thomas J Monson
I had tenants get chickens, I told them if the neighbors start complaining about the smell and they have to go. Was about 3 months and they had to go. Don鈥檛 allow chickens you鈥檒l get rodents and annoy the other tenants/neighbors.
Rental Property Investor 路 Higginson, AR 路 Member since 2016 路 48 posts 路 46 votes
6y
Check out chicken tractors, you move them to keep down the odors and buildup of deposits, actually fertilize the yard. I had them for years and the grandchildren really enjoyed them. My 4 yr old granddaughter is asking for them again.
Personally I don't have a problem as long as its within the city ordnances. If a renter is going to invest in the place, I guess they plan on staying a while.
Rental Property Investor 路 The Vampire State 路 Member since 2013 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
6y
I don't see any upside for you as the landlord here, yet many downsides. There was a thread on BP within the last year addressing the exact same tenant request. Hell, that may have been your tenants' old landlord that posted it.
Tenant has requested permission to get a chicken coop. My initial thought is no... anyone have experience with this? Just seems dirty and unnecessary. This is in a duplex with a good size back yard. Thanks!
In a duplex this will bring you trouble. The neighbors may not like it or may want their own chicken coop. The chicken smell, make noise and and can become a health issue if not cleaned up after. Odds are good when they move you will be stuck with the coop and the mess. There is really no upside for you. Eggs cost a dollar at the store, so for all the effort involved here, it is really not worth it anyways.
Real Estate Agent 路 San Antonio, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 814 posts 路 466 votes
6y
How many chickens? Charge them an animal/pet deposit $75 each, then additional monthly rent $15/chicken. Put that in writing and be specific about it. Unless its an annoyance to other tenants/neighbors, don't allowed. Problem is when the chicken have chicks, tenant probably will lie or you can't keep count. However, it doesn't seem like a good idea, unless property are in a rural area and that's the common thing to do (unlikely give you stated duplex property).
New to Real Estate 路 Ridgway, CO 路 Member since 2019 路 46 posts 路 12 votes
6y
@Thomas J Monson
I've owned chickens before within city limits, I know the good bad and ugly on em. Fresh eggs are delicious.
My 2 cents:
Do not allow roosters.
Limit them to 4-7 hens
Require an enclosed chicken run.
Limit them to a designated area.
If they are heating the coop with a heat lamp in the winter time, require rental insurance by the tenant if you don't already. It's rare...but the lamp can catch the coop on fire if it fell on bedding.
Fresh eggs are delicious and a small flock of hens isn't going to destroy your property....as long as the tenant is a good pet/Flock owner. That's a big 'as long' though. I rented and had chickens within city limits but did it responsibly and cleaned the coop twice a week. If you know the tenant and they have a good track record ... They are responsible adults ...
We let the chickens free range a bit but then realized my grass was getting jacked up. So I built them a tall enclosure/aviary out of chicken wire to allow them to free range but not mess up my yard.
Real Estate Agent 路 Cleveland, OH 路 Member since 2017 路 184 posts 路 253 votes
6y
If the tenants are responsible, it could work very well. I allowed chickens at one of my rentals and the tenants stayed there for over 10 years. If chickens are allowed to free-range, they can quickly tear up a small yard so make sure they are enclosed. Maybe you can bargain for something you want like a refundable pet deposit and a small increase in rent.
Real Estate Agent 路 Southington, CT 路 Member since 2008 路 5k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
6y
You mentioned this is a duplex. Not sure it is fair to the other tenant or you if you owner occupy to suddenly have to deal with a chicken coop in a shared backyard.
I'm amused by the bulk if the responses by people who have probably never owned chickens, or apparently any animals...
As someone who has had chickens, and invests real estate, I would ensure a few things are properly taken care of and otherwise have 0 concerns.
The smell people are referring to comes from very large poultry farms. A half dozen chickens are not going to create a noticeable odor outside of a few feet from the pen. If kept clean enough it can go unnoticed even standing next to the pen. I would probably modify the lease in some manner to ensure they are properly cared for in order to be kept.
Obviously you need to make sure it's okay with zoning, but many municipalities allow a small number.
Someone was concerned about the cool after they leave, I would require them to let you approve whatever structure they're using. A commercially purchased chicken coop holds some.value for quite a long time. You would have no problem selling it and having the buyer come pick it up. You would certainly have no problem giving it away to someone who would remove it. That's a non issue.
Disposing of the bedding and mess. Do they garden as well? Makes great fertilizer. Otherwise I don't see why they could not just throw it out with their trash.
I would ensure that both families are okay with it if it's a joint yard. Otherwise, if they are good tenants, allowing this is likely to keep them much longer. You're giving them a small piece of the lifestyle they want while paying to live in your duplex. And they're doing something that shows they're willing to produce instead if being simply takers from society.
Saint Joseph, MO 路 Member since 2018 路 401 posts 路 244 votes
6y
@Thomas J Monson I actually have a little. I acquired an 8 plex last month with an existing chicken coop, as well as some partially burnt couches and recliners. I told them to get rid of it, now they are asking if they can just light it on fire. Good times. My vote would be no.
How many chickens? Charge them an animal/pet deposit $75 each, then additional monthly rent $15/chicken. Put that in writing and be specific about it. Unless its an annoyance to other tenants/neighbors, don't allowed. Problem is when the chicken have chicks, tenant probably will lie or you can't keep count. However, it doesn't seem like a good idea, unless property are in a rural area and that's the common thing to do (unlikely give you stated duplex property).
When they have chicks? Lol they didn't ask for a rooster. The answer to a rooster should be a hard no.