Rental - Single Family Homes

Rental - Single Family Homes

Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 12 votes

How do people typically finance their rental homes? I’ve owned a few rental homes but I’ve been doing 15 or 20 year commercial loans. It’s very hard to find a house priced well enough to cash flow with a 15 or 20 year loan. Is my financing my problem why I can’t create a better than break even cash flow?

1Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · NY · Member since 2020 · 57 posts · 44 votes
6y

I bought my house in my name... conventional 30 year with 25% down, non-owner occupied. After, I closed, I reached out to my title company and changed the deed to my LLC. The mortgage company knows because I made sure to tell them before I changed it..and I added my LLC to my insurance as an additional insurer. I'm in contract to purchase my 2nd rental property...it will be with a conventional 30 year loan and with 25% down again, and non-owner occupied and in my name....I will have the deed changed to my LLC after closing again too. My mortgage broker said that if I get the loan originally in my LLC's name that the interest rate will be higher...I don't want that.

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Member since 2017 · 239 posts · 149 votes
    6y

    What kind of rates are you guys getting on the 30 year loan, 25% down rental mortgages? 

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 51 votes
    6y

    @Kiera Underwood hi would you mind sharing your lender's info with ne please?

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 956 posts · 600 votes
    6y

    @Brad Moore you can do 15% or 20% down. 

    @Connie Chan 20% down is locking often at 4.75%. 25% down is locking around 4.375%

    @Ghenia Flewellyn I don't believe you can post contact info but it's Aaron Chapman with Security National Mortgage! Happy to make an intro. 

  • Investor · Johns Creek, GA · Member since 2017 · 463 posts · 488 votes
    6y

    @Scott Mcnemar I have put down payment ranging from 10%-32%, interest rate from 3%-6%, all 30-year amortization, with balloon payments of 5-10 years. Cash on cash ranges from 12% - 20% year one,

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Blair Fajkowski thank you for clarifying. I shopped around a fair bit, but was mostly calling local/regional banks, who all gave me the same answer.

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 173 posts · 206 votes
    6y

    @Brad Moore The last 2 properties I bought I closed under my LLC with a 20% down 30-year loan at 5-6%. Slightly higher interest rates than a loan closed under your personal name, but it was important to me to close under the LLC. Those loans are out there. You just have to keep asking around. Call the smaller regional banks. They're more likely to have the types of loans you want.

  • Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    @Jennifer Brown. Consider Greg gentiles at suntrust or Marc at cornerstone bank I have done 15 percent down on my invest properties. Rates were 4.7 to 5.3

  • Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Ghenia Flewellyn Check my BiggerPockets profile.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 589 posts · 251 votes
    5y

    30 year term is the strategy with the tenants paying it over time. The longer the term the lower the monthly payment. When you charge higher rents you will cash flow more. Shorter terms are great if you follow a Dave Ramsey mindset of having no debt when investing in real estate. The leverage game is long term cash flowing with appreciation strategy. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.