Tenant asking to do a walk in closet for a room

Tenant asking to do a walk in closet for a room

Rental Property Investor · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2020 · 252 posts · 153 votes

Hi BP family! So one of my tenants asked me if I can let her build a walk in closet. I told her that I would think about it. I feel like there could be a red flag.  She is a very good tenant but I didn't want to say no right on the spot.  Any advice? If she is asking is because she is going to pay for it.  I am open to any suggestions or advice or does anyone have any experiences?

4Reply
73 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Eureka, CA · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 64 votes
6y

@Sandy Gabin

I would never let someone A) do the work themselves or B) hire it out to someone I didn't know where I wasn't involved in the process. A lot of people seem to think a bedroom requires a closet of some kind. If you really feel obliged to provide one, Amazon has a lot of affordable RTA/knock-down models in the under $50 range.

Personally I would decline this... Even if completely control process including arranging and vetting labor, review plans and cost with tenant, get in writing that tenant is willing to pay that cost for the improvement and upon moving out/end of lease that they make no attempt to dismantle or remove the built-in closet, it can still lead to a sticky situation. That last part is important since a walk-in is much more involved process, with framing, drywall, electrical and trim etc and if they tried to remove it or damage it when they left it could be a headache. But if it all went to plan it could also be a great benefit to you. As with all things in the real estate world, there is risk and reward. 

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Eureka, CA · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 64 votes
    6y

    @Sandy Gabin

    I would never let someone A) do the work themselves or B) hire it out to someone I didn't know where I wasn't involved in the process. A lot of people seem to think a bedroom requires a closet of some kind. If you really feel obliged to provide one, Amazon has a lot of affordable RTA/knock-down models in the under $50 range.

    Personally I would decline this... Even if completely control process including arranging and vetting labor, review plans and cost with tenant, get in writing that tenant is willing to pay that cost for the improvement and upon moving out/end of lease that they make no attempt to dismantle or remove the built-in closet, it can still lead to a sticky situation. That last part is important since a walk-in is much more involved process, with framing, drywall, electrical and trim etc and if they tried to remove it or damage it when they left it could be a headache. But if it all went to plan it could also be a great benefit to you. As with all things in the real estate world, there is risk and reward. 

  • Steve O.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · West Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2019 · 104 posts · 65 votes
    6y

    @Sandy Gabin as long as it makes sense space wise, makes sense in General and they paying for it - know the carpenters work who will be doing the job- why wouldn’t you?

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I would say no for 2 reasons:

    1) she might want to make it into a grow room, which will wreck your unit - the humidity and potential water on the floor, plus the smell, etc., will possibly do major damage; and

    2) tenants who start wanting to change things are never-ending high maintenance tenants and you're better if they leave.  Been there many times.  Learned the hard way to say no and to see red flags during the initial walk-through.  Odds are that this is not the first time this tenant has asked for some kind of change or favor, right?

    The one I had like that started at the walk-through asking if we'd change up the walk-in closet that the unit already had that was enormous - can we extend one of the rods and take out the shelves on that end so the rod is longer?  It never ended after the owner agreed to this request.  In the future I learned to just say no right then and there.

    She later wanted room darkening curtains which the owner said yes to - I told him not to (he would come on Saturdays to do maintenance and the tenants learned to go around me and just ask him for stuff.  I told him to send them to me, but he was too nice - but it just gave us both more work).

    Then, she said she could smell smoke and wanted me to go figure out who it was.  I said no, I wasn't going to go invading tenants' apartments, but if she ever actually saw someone smoking to let me know.  She actually complained to the owner.  He confronted me with her standing right there smirking.  I said no, it would be an invasion of privacy and I wasn't going to do it.  I basically had to dare my boss to fire me over it.  He chose to keep me.

    She was still there when I left with her never-ending drama and demands.

    You just have to make a rule.  It's easier to say no to people if you know what your rules are.  So, this was the rule I learned to have and I suggest you have, too.

    "I don't change any units I have.  Sorry if you don't like it the way it is, and I totally understand if you want to move.  If you want to give me 30 days notice, let me know and I will work with you on your move-out date.  But, I don't make changes to my units."  And when they start arguing and giving you their story or sales-pitch, just rinse, repeat.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    Does she have a spare bedroom she could turn into a walk in closet or does she literally want to frame one in the master bedroom?  If it is the former, then it is easy enough for her to get garment racks on wheels and some free standing shelving.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    Does she have a spare bedroom she could turn into a walk in closet or does she literally want to frame one in the master bedroom?  If it is the former, then it is easy enough for her to get garment racks on wheels and some free standing shelving.

     Exactly.  But, you just never want to get into the habit of being the Answer Lady (or Man).  I learned the hard way to perfect the friendly but non-committal, "Huh, I don't know.  Gotta go."

    You just really want to minimize spending your time dealing with tenant issues that aren't your problem.  Don't let them think of you as the problem solver for everything.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2020 · 252 posts · 153 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    Does she have a spare bedroom she could turn into a walk in closet or does she literally want to frame one in the master bedroom?  If it is the former, then it is easy enough for her to get garment racks on wheels and some free standing shelving.

    The tenant has no extra room to do the walk in closet.  She wants to do it in the master bedroom. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2020 · 252 posts · 153 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    Does she have a spare bedroom she could turn into a walk in closet or does she literally want to frame one in the master bedroom?  If it is the former, then it is easy enough for her to get garment racks on wheels and some free standing shelving.

    Thank  you for your advice. I will tell her to add shelves and other compartments !

     Exactly.  But, you just never want to get into the habit of being the Answer Lady (or Man).  I learned the hard way to perfect the friendly but non-committal, "Huh, I don't know.  Gotta go."

    You just really want to minimize spending your time dealing with tenant issues that aren't your problem.  Don't let them think of you as the problem solver for everything.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    She can also get some room dividers which are completely portable and stand alone to block off a section of the room.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2020 · 252 posts · 153 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    She can also get some room dividers which are completely portable and stand alone to block off a section of the room.

     Thank you Theresa!😊

  • Rental Property Investor · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2020 · 252 posts · 153 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I would say no for 2 reasons:

    1) she might want to make it into a grow room, which will wreck your unit - the humidity and potential water on the floor, plus the smell, etc., will possibly do major damage; and

    2) tenants who start wanting to change things are never-ending high maintenance tenants and you're better if they leave.  Been there many times.  Learned the hard way to say no and to see red flags during the initial walk-through.  Odds are that this is not the first time this tenant has asked for some kind of change or favor, right?

    The one I had like that started at the walk-through asking if we'd change up the walk-in closet that the unit already had that was enormous - can we extend one of the rods and take out the shelves on that end so the rod is longer?  It never ended after the owner agreed to this request.  In the future I learned to just say no right then and there.

    She later wanted room darkening curtains which the owner said yes to - I told him not to (he would come on Saturdays to do maintenance and the tenants learned to go around me and just ask him for stuff.  I told him to send them to me, but he was too nice - but it just gave us both more work).

    Then, she said she could smell smoke and wanted me to go figure out who it was.  I said no, I wasn't going to go invading tenants' apartments, but if she ever actually saw someone smoking to let me know.  She actually complained to the owner.  He confronted me with her standing right there smirking.  I said no, it would be an invasion of privacy and I wasn't going to do it.  I basically had to dare my boss to fire me over it.  He chose to keep me.

    She was still there when I left with her never-ending drama and demands.

    You just have to make a rule.  It's easier to say no to people if you know what your rules are.  So, this was the rule I learned to have and I suggest you have, too.

    "I don't change any units I have.  Sorry if you don't like it the way it is, and I totally understand if you want to move.  If you want to give me 30 days notice, let me know and I will work with you on your move-out date.  But, I don't make changes to my units."  And when they start arguing and giving you their story or sales-pitch, just rinse, repeat.

     Thank you Sue!🙂

  • Rental Property Investor · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2020 · 252 posts · 153 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Sandy Gabin

    I would never let someone A) do the work themselves or B) hire it out to someone I didn't know where I wasn't involved in the process. A lot of people seem to think a bedroom requires a closet of some kind. If you really feel obliged to provide one, Amazon has a lot of affordable RTA/knock-down models in the under $50 range.

    Personally I would decline this... Even if completely control process including arranging and vetting labor, review plans and cost with tenant, get in writing that tenant is willing to pay that cost for the improvement and upon moving out/end of lease that they make no attempt to dismantle or remove the built-in closet, it can still lead to a sticky situation. That last part is important since a walk-in is much more involved process, with framing, drywall, electrical and trim etc and if they tried to remove it or damage it when they left it could be a headache. But if it all went to plan it could also be a great benefit to you. As with all things in the real estate world, there is risk and reward. 

    Thank  you Zack! 😊

  • Rental Property Investor · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2020 · 252 posts · 153 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I would say no for 2 reasons:

    1) she might want to make it into a grow room, which will wreck your unit - the humidity and potential water on the floor, plus the smell, etc., will possibly do major damage; and

    2) tenants who start wanting to change things are never-ending high maintenance tenants and you're better if they leave.  Been there many times.  Learned the hard way to say no and to see red flags during the initial walk-through.  Odds are that this is not the first time this tenant has asked for some kind of change or favor, right?

    The one I had like that started at the walk-through asking if we'd change up the walk-in closet that the unit already had that was enormous - can we extend one of the rods and take out the shelves on that end so the rod is longer?  It never ended after the owner agreed to this request.  In the future I learned to just say no right then and there.

    She later wanted room darkening curtains which the owner said yes to - I told him not to (he would come on Saturdays to do maintenance and the tenants learned to go around me and just ask him for stuff.  I told him to send them to me, but he was too nice - but it just gave us both more work).

    Then, she said she could smell smoke and wanted me to go figure out who it was.  I said no, I wasn't going to go invading tenants' apartments, but if she ever actually saw someone smoking to let me know.  She actually complained to the owner.  He confronted me with her standing right there smirking.  I said no, it would be an invasion of privacy and I wasn't going to do it.  I basically had to dare my boss to fire me over it.  He chose to keep me.

    She was still there when I left with her never-ending drama and demands.

    You just have to make a rule.  It's easier to say no to people if you know what your rules are.  So, this was the rule I learned to have and I suggest you have, too.

    "I don't change any units I have.  Sorry if you don't like it the way it is, and I totally understand if you want to move.  If you want to give me 30 days notice, let me know and I will work with you on your move-out date.  But, I don't make changes to my units."  And when they start arguing and giving you their story or sales-pitch, just rinse, repeat.

     Thank you Sue! 😊

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 42 votes
    6y

    @Sandy Gabin no, stick to the lease. Blame the lease, blame your lawyer, blame the city permitting.

    If I did do something like that, I would have my contractor do it, and then build it into her rent. So I can ensure it was done correctly

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    Tell the idiot to buy her own house and play hgtv on her own dime ! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2020 · 252 posts · 153 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael H.:

    @Sandy Gabin no, stick to the lease. Blame the lease, blame your lawyer, blame the city permitting.

    If I did do something like that, I would have my contractor do it, and then build it into her rent. So I can ensure it was done correctly

     Thank you! My husband said the same thing about blaming the city inspection! 😊

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Sandy Gabin

    Nope. Never. Not even if said tenant is a professional carpenter. Now, if a walk-in closet is something you think could add value and raise the rents on, then you could ponder having a professional do said work. But it would require a rework of current lease, with higher rent.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2020 · 252 posts · 153 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Wick:

    @Sandy Gabin

    Nope. Never. Not even if said tenant is a professional carpenter. Now, if a walk-in closet is something you think could add value and raise the rents on, then you could ponder having a professional do said work. But it would require a rework of current lease, with higher rent.

     Thanks Anthony! I knew you had my back! 😊

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    She can also get some room dividers which are completely portable and stand alone to block off a section of the room.

     This is a great idea.  I had a tenant who installed the really long room divider curtains you can buy at Ikea with a ceiling track so you can open and close the curtain easily.  We had 10 foot ceilings and Ikea has super long curtains.  My tenant was in a little studio and she sectioned off her bed this way.  Looked really nice.

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Sandy Gabin no way, unless she pays your people to do it and it makes sense for the property

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Spanish Fort, Ala · Member since 2019 · 97 posts · 88 votes
    6y

    I would not let her build a closet . Just tell her you don't want make anymore changes to the apt. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2020 · 252 posts · 153 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Greg Morris:

    I would not let her build a closet . Just tell her you don't want make anymore changes to the apt. 

     Thank you!🙂

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    I would not permit a tenant to make a major modification to my property. Is she wanting to turn a small bedroom into a closet, or something else? If I thought the type of change she wanted would increase the rent I could get out of the unit now and in the future. I would offer to make the changes myself with a rent increase that would cover a 24-30 month ROI.
  • Rental Property Investor · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2020 · 252 posts · 153 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jill F.:
    I would not permit a tenant to make a major modification to my property. Is she wanting to turn a small bedroom into a closet, or something else? If I thought the type of change she wanted would increase the rent I could get out of the unit now and in the future. I would offer to make the changes myself with a rent increase that would cover a 24-30 month ROI.

    You go girl! This is a huge room that tenants use it as a master bedroom. And there is no closet. I would definitely do it myself. Thank you!😊

  • Investor · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Sandy Gabin

    I once had a tenant who received a big cash settlement from a divorce and wanted to pay to redo my entire kitchen. This was a C property but had solid wood cabinets which will last decades to come.

    I told her no because who knows what kind of liability and control I'd potentially risk by doing that.

    I would have loved a new kitchen but it wasn't worth it to me.

  • Member since 2018 · 563 posts · 562 votes
    6y

    ar·moire/ärmˈwär,ˈärmˌwär/ 

    noun: armoire; plural noun: armoires

    1. a wardrobe or movable cabinet, typically one that is ornate or antique.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.