Resident manager is harassing my tenants, and board is useless

Resident manager is harassing my tenants, and board is useless

Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I live in Germany, but I own a rental property in Hawaii, a nice condo in Mililani. I'm having serious issues with the resident manager, who I will call George (not his real name). My tenants are being harassed on a constant basis by George (attached an image of my property manager's most recent email to me). I myself had issues with George during the four years that I lived in my condo, as did a roommate I had who nearly left as a result. I reported these issues to the board, who skimmed over my concerns (see attached) and instead harped on a supposed wrong doing on my part (I had gone overseas for a few months on an extended leave of absence, and per Hawaii law, had appointed a caretaker in my place while I was gone). I have a feeling that when I go to the board with this new issue, I will receive the same useless response.

I've never been a landlord before. I thought when I started this that my main worries would be bad tenants and bad property managers. Who knew it would be a bad resident manager. At this rate, the current tenants say they will seek a restraining order and likely move out in September when their lease is up. They would otherwise have stayed up to three years. This is a serious problem for me, obviously, not just from a financial perspective, but also because George's behavior is utterly unprofessional and the board is doing nothing to resolve it. Can anyone give me a sense of what my options might be? As I said, I live in Germany now, so it's very hard for me to try to deal with this from afar. I've tried to reach George via phone, but he doesn't answer the phone.

I can provide further documentation, if that would help (including my initial email to the board). I appreciate your advice on this.

0
Topic locked
45 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    I would go with the option on the right.  If the board hears from a number of owners that the manager is a problem and fails to do anything, then they are asking for trouble.  Meanwhile, have your caretaker report George to the police.  You can also tell your tenants, that they do not have to answer the door/speak to George and should they run into him, their response should be 'talk to Rebecca as she is the owner' or 'talk to (insert name of caretaker) and they are overseeing the property while Rebecca is out of the country'.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Contractor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 80 posts · 70 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed advice; (2) maybe get a letter from legal counsel that states the Board's ineffective management of the resident manager's actions. It would be good to have exact emails, responses, times and dates, etc. to corroborate your story. Maybe that'll help you with the problem. Remember, I'm no legal expert, so take it as an opinion. Hope that can help.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    Based on the information you've provided, it looks like you're trying to skirt the law. Your using the condo as your mailing address even though you live in Germany. You're not using a licensed property manager, as required by Hawaii law.

    I think the board is ignoring you because you're not playing by the rules.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
    0
    Topic locked
  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Account Closed

    What is George doing?

    Is his "harassment" posting violations? is he peeking in windows? Did he say once across a parking lot "Hey you need to take the bouncy house down? 

    I just don't have enough to know which way I would go

    0
    Topic locked