Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Scott Passman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Batavia, IL
Votes |
Why are landlords being so singled out?!?

Scott Passman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Batavia, IL
Posted Mar 29 2020, 11:26

I have a hard time understanding why landlords are considered so different from other businesses and business owners. Even before COVID-19 came onto the scene, it has been a prevailing theme over the last year or two that cities and states are pushing more laws limiting the abilities of landlords to collect rent, evict tenants who don't pay, renovation and increase rents, and other regulations regarding how their business is operated.  Now with the impending crisis, rental property owners are being arm barred into dropping or foregoing rents and those who cannot or choose not to are being vilified by not only the public but even other property owners. 

Some are in a great position financially that they can be very flexible and work with tenants which is great, but some others are not in as great a position and rely upon that rental income to pay the bills.  I think the majority of property owners are willing and want to work with tenants in whatever capacity they can or feel is necessary.  But to have such sweeping legislature and pressure placed upon property owners as a whole to give up some or all of their income for an indefinite amount of time is crazy.  It's like they think we are all wealthy, greedy and don't care about others which of course is completely false.  I love playing my part to provide a good home for others and I know many others do to. But at the end of the day, if bills can't be paid then there is no home for anybody.  Why are property owners so heavily singled out?

Loading replies...