What To Do when a tenant sends Nasty Texts?

What To Do when a tenant sends Nasty Texts?

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes

She refuses to give me her email to get on tenant cloud.

I call and she won’t answer.

Has been sending me page after page of nasty texts including “FU” since yesterday morning (easter weekend). 5 more pages of nasty texts last night at 3:30am.

Every month before she pays rent she demands I give her something new or fix something that isn’t broken.

Her latest demand is that I wash the pollen off the outside of her house and that’s just not going to happen. She also demands I give her a hose bib so she can water her plants. Again, not a priority right now but I do have it on the schedule and she would know that if she’d give me her email address.

This is a beautiful totally remodeled home in a D neighborhood. (That could be the problem? Lol)

I did a walk through maybe 4 months ago and it is spotless. She’s very proud of the home.

Unfortunately I don’t know anyone personally that I can ask for advise so as usual I’m asking the forum! What should I do?

Thanks!

0Reply
167 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 54 posts · 44 votes
6y

Your tenant could be a jerk or have a psychological or mental issue. Sounds like she’s spending a lot more time sending long texts than what the situation calls for. Could be drug abuse as well. I would end the tenancy through legally-compliant action as soon as possible. 

The lack of cooperation, lack of communication, disrespect and the harassment are not things I’d expect to improve. You can also check with your attorney on the best way to proceed. 

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Luke Carl

    Your tenant is a complete jerk.  That is not acceptable.  Maybe because your in a class D area, but that’s no excuse.  Meet with the tenant next time your there and have a conversation about how you operate your business.  If the tenant continues to be difficult and there on a mtm lease give them a 30 day notice.  Find a property manager to handle this property.  I don’t invest in class D.  Nothing less than class C.  I prefer to invest in B/C areas.

    Good Luck.   

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 54 posts · 44 votes
    6y

    Your tenant could be a jerk or have a psychological or mental issue. Sounds like she’s spending a lot more time sending long texts than what the situation calls for. Could be drug abuse as well. I would end the tenancy through legally-compliant action as soon as possible. 

    The lack of cooperation, lack of communication, disrespect and the harassment are not things I’d expect to improve. You can also check with your attorney on the best way to proceed. 

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 435 posts · 421 votes
    6y

    She's mentally ill, also probably having alcoholic late night rages.  Don't respond to her texts, or her requests, but DO read and save them.  Once I missed a no heat complaint in the midst of a huge text barrage of craziness from a tenant who was in the process of being evicted for non-payment of rent.  Fortunately, we saw it a couple of days later, it had not been cold, and the problem was that only about 1/4 of the unit was not getting heat.  But it could have messed up the eviction, if left unfixed.  So you have to read them, in case there's a report of a true problem buried in the barrage of crazy texts.

    Now, as for all she is asking.  Don't do a damned thing, unless it is to protect YOUR property, or in the lease that you must provide it.  So, if she asks for a leaky faucet to be repaired, do so.  If she asks for an outside hose bib, do NOT do so, unless it's in the lease that you will provide this.

    If she threatens to withhold rent because you haven't done what she is demanding, don't respond.  Be ready to file for eviction the instant that the rent is late, and get rid of her.  Or maybe your silence and the eviction filing will teach her that you won't take this crap, and she'll pay her rent,  cut it out and find someone else to rage text late at night.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    Lucas, if a renter refuses to follow your lease and/or rules, get rid of them. Give her a written 30-day Notice (if allowed). Include a statement that you will not respond to her abusive text messages. If she refuses to get out after 30 days, start the eviction process.

    In my experience, most people will accept the 30-day and disappear because they're not happy with you. The threat of eviction works for me but I don't know how your court system works or how savvy the tenant is.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Luke Carl The only tenant I ever had that rose to that level of crazy was NPD (narcissistic personality disorder); he actually told me that-- and I believe it because he had all the symptoms. It was a miserable experience for me, as a result of his disorder he really believed that he was entitled to all types of special treatment. Every time I talked to him regarding his (usually) crazy demands, he told me how I was a terrible landlord and he was the best tenant that I ever had (and would ever have). He was completely impervious to reason. We non-renewed him and he refused to leave; when we filed for eviction our lawyer said that he was the most annoying person he'd ever dealt with.

    As @Karen F. said **do read problem reports** because even the most *crazy* tenants do sometimes have legitimate habitability issues that must be dealt with. And it sounds like you are dealing with a true disorder.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    just a FWIW  I would no way no how allow a tenant to contact me via Text.. I dont text at all .. you open your self up to these constant little digs..  I only e mail when its business.

    I will take text from Wife and kids thats it.. and maybe a few very close friends.. but never for business..
    but thats me.. I know I am in the minority here.. but I hate text messaging.
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jill F.:

    @Luke Carl The only tenant I ever had that rose to that level of crazy was NPD (narcissistic personality disorder); he actually told me that-- and I believe it because he had all the symptoms. It was a miserable experience for me, as a result of his disorder he really believed that he was entitled to all types of special treatment. Every time I talked to him regarding his (usually) crazy demands, he told me how I was a terrible landlord and he was the best tenant that I ever had (and would ever have). He was completely impervious to reason. We non-renewed him and he refused to leave; when we filed for eviction our lawyer said that he was the most annoying person he'd ever dealt with.

    As @Karen F. said **do read problem reports** because even the most *crazy* tenants do sometimes have legitimate habitability issues that must be dealt with. And it sounds like you are dealing with a true disorder.

    Do what Jill recommends. You really don't know what's going on here, what kind of mental crisis this person is going through. Personally, I have never and would never send anyone a series of ranting texts, let alone anyone who I was in a business relationship with. That's so far away from my understanding of how to do business it's hard to explain. But the goal is not communication here, you can be sure of that.

    When communication shuts down, it's not always silence. It's often this sort of thing. The way I would handle it would be heavily shaded by my normal business practices and by the reputation and relationships I've built up in my area as a professional low-C'class andlord.

    My first call would be to my friends on the local police force, officers who know me. I'd explain the situation to give them a heads-up in their community policing, especially in this time of coronavirus. This person is not behaving in a manner that's consistent with good public order right now.

    I would then send your tenant a text message stating that you will no longer be doing business by text messages and that you will no longer be reading her messages, but you will be trying to call her twice a day. Give her the times you will be calling at. Sure, you have to read her messages, for reasons already given. Send your message anyway.

    Keep on calling her twice a day. In two days, if this treatment doesn't work, send a letter stating that you are coming for "an inspection, safety, and groundskeeping" visit on such and such a day. You need to have 24-hours notice here in PA. Wait the period you have to in your area then show up.

    Is she there? Talk to her.

    If she's not there, and she's locked you out of your property, drill the lock or locks, get in, inspect, replace locks. Call her and state, if she has a messaging service, that you had to drill the locks.

    Get your pump sprayer and glyphosate concentrate out of your car and spray the entire lawn. Camp outside the house in your car, with the door open and the lights of the house on, for six hours.

    If she's not there by then, close and lock the door, tape a message to the door stating that you had to change the locks and you will have the new keys available as soon as she calls you, drive home, wait for the call.

    Or the visit. Depending on the nature of her malfunction, there's a small chance she may show up at your house with a gun, and you have to be prepared to deal with that during this process of forcing communication with a crazy person. But usually, these people don't shoot first and ask questions later. They posture loudly, however drunk or high they are, and this is when you should be calling the police and having them hauled off for trespassing and terroristic threats.

    If you are not local and are trying to run D-class properties long distance and nicey-nicey, well, thoughts and prayers. Doesn't matter if you changed out the toilets for gold-plated ones. Still a D-class neighborhood.

  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    The ONLY way I will receive texts is to my Google voice number, which copies all of the texts to E-mail in case I need them later

    With that said, I agree E-mail or if it's pertinent or an emergency call me unless it's an emergency only during business hours

    The plus side there is I can get the messages sent to any device I have linked to my business E-mail

  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Lucas Carl

    Is the property located in TN?

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Lucas Carl

    Does she pay rent in full and on time? Then ignore her.

    Does she not pay rent in full or on time? Terminate lease or evict her.

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    6y

    If she pays the rent and keeps the place in good condition, she might be the best tenant you can get in a "D" neighborhood.  Does Tenant Cloud offer a means of communication?  If so, you could tell her that all service requests must be made via tenant cloud.  Otherwise, don't respond or give in to demands and she might stop.  Also, I once had a tenant a bit like this.  She was terrible to me, but respected my husband.  Maybe you could try having someone else correspond with her and see if it works (but don't give out their number!)  It's also nice to have somebody in your life you can share this with and keep a sense of humor!

    This is in addition to the good advice you've had above.

    Happy Easter!

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Lucas Carl id stop responding and get rid of the tenant as soon as possible

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 65 votes
    6y

    Hey Lucas be careful what you ask for. My opinion here is that you are getting some crazy advise. What you see as a negative should be viewed as an opportunity. Talk to your tenant and explain the situation and level set expectations. You are texting with your tenant which is great. I would explain to her what she is doing to you. She may be a complete idiot and not be aware that whenever she makes contact there's a consequence. 

    Just tell her you will be more than happy to fix, repair and upgrade anything she desires but you are going to charge her for each hour and for the parts it takes to address the request. 

    This way she will really consider her request and you can make some money on each request. People with mental illness need to live somewhere. 

    Getting rid of a paying tenants who are a pain in the rear is not worth it. If you hate dealing with tenants consider a property management company. You need to separate yourself emotionally from your tenant. It's a business that is not always as advertised. 

    What you are explaining is the fun side of this business. Dealing with people!! If we all start trading D class stories, we could write a book. 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y

    Options:

    1. Block her number from text messaging. Then she will have to contact you in some other fashion for requests. Hopefully somewhere (preferably in your lease) you have outlined acceptable methods of contact for requests. If they signed it, use that. If it's not in there, then you could respond with a written letter ignoring the text stuff and describing how requests for maintenance, emergency, etc are to be handled in the future (it should be something available to the masses if she didn't sign on to Tenant Cloud or similar in the lease, like letter, dedicated voice mail, etc). 

    2. Ignore/laugh about the crazy texts and look for the signal through the noise. If it's 5 pages of "screw you" with one line of "I never got that hose bibb that was promised", that's the part you want to focus on. Sometimes we (landlords) need to acknowledge that we promised a hose bibb 4 months ago and it just fell off the map.

    3. Since you are in a "D" neighborhood you are going to have limited opportunity to replace this tenant when the lease is up with one that sounds as good, other than the hysterics. 

    4. If all else fails, change your phone number, keep the old number and port it to a Google Voice account, and only give out your new number to those who need it. In my opinion everyone - even those without a permanent office - should have a Google Voice number at minimum to act as the gatekeeper for tenant issues. That said, I use my personal cell with all of my tenants, but a) I could care less if they cuss me out (none ever do) and b) I have pretty much only B properties with B tenants (maybe a couple are C+). 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Prairieville, LA · Member since 2015 · 311 posts · 424 votes
    6y

    @Lucas Carl

    I give one polite warning. If another text like that comes, as per my lease, I block their number and tell them to contact me solely through email. I can PM the language to you that I have in my lease if you want me to. I also say, "since you are unhappy with me and I am unhappy with you, let's arrange a move out date so that everyone can be happy." One tenant said I was wrong for that but I won't tolerate disrespect. If they don't repsect you, they won't respect your property. I don't care if they pay on time. I give respect so I should get respect back. No amount of money is worth the BS in my opinion. Also, for unnecessary repair requests, I let them know that I can do alot of unnecessary requests but must increase rent to compensate my costs and aggravation. "Ms. Tenant I would be happy to wash the pollen off of the house. I will just need a $50 per month permanent rent increase. Are there any other services or improvements with appropriate rent increases you would like to discuss? " One last thing. 1031 or sell your class D houses and buy a class or two up. Class D is a PITA and pro forma returns on these are fictitious. I did the same early on and do not regret one bit. Just think of the time wasted on Class D issues. Time=$$$$.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Luke Carl:

    She refuses to give me her email to get on tenant cloud.

    I call and she won’t answer.

    Has been sending me page after page of nasty texts including “FU” since yesterday morning (easter weekend). 5 more pages of nasty texts last night at 3:30am.

    Every month before she pays rent she demands I give her something new or fix something that isn’t broken.

    Her latest demand is that I wash the pollen off the outside of her house and that’s just not going to happen. She also demands I give her a hose bib so she can water her plants. Again, not a priority right now but I do have it on the schedule and she would know that if she’d give me her email address.

    This is a beautiful totally remodeled home in a D neighborhood. (That could be the problem? Lol)

    I did a walk through maybe 4 months ago and it is spotless. She’s very proud of the home.

    Unfortunately I don’t know anyone personally that I can ask for advise so as usual I’m asking the forum! What should I do?

    Thanks!

    First, texts are great!  They are legal writings.  You can use them in court.  And, since she has established texting as her normal way of communicating with you, then you can use texts for any notices you want to give her.  If they're important legal notices, I'd also follow-up with a paper copy sent by USPS priority mail with tracking.  All you need is proof it got to her address.  No need for her to sign anything.  And you can take screen shots of texts on your phone, by the way, that you can email to yourself and print out.  If you don't already know how, just go on YouTube.  It's easy - even I learned how to do it haha.

    My first reaction would be to kick her to the curb.  But, others have a point - she does take care of the place and she does pay the rent every month.

    So, what I'd suggest is having a sit-down with her.  Forget trying to call her or get her to do email with you.  This is the type of tenant who wants you to tap dance.  So, your job is to establish yourself as the lord of the manor.  You can do this in a decent, but firm way.  But, this is why I also suggest to landlords that you don't want to give a new contract to a tenant to sign.  This puts the power in the tenant's hands.  They drag their feet, you are begging...not good.  One of the reasons I preferred M2M - I could just give 30 days notice of changes in rental agreement - no need to sign anything.  I keep the power.

    So, anyway, I suggest sending her a text saying that you will be sending her a notice by mail, but this is what it will be regarding: Going forward, your relationship needs to be based on mutual respect, or this tenancy will not work out and you'll have to ask her to move out.  You will be doing necessary repairs, but nothing beyond what is required by law to keep the unit in a safe, maintained manner, and she will be expected to pay her rent on time, regardless of any maintenance requests, which are not tied to paying the rent on time.  And, you expect her to only text in a respectful manner going forward, and during business hours only, unless there is an emergency.

    Then, see what happens.  If she continues to treat you with disrespect or demand unreasonable things, then show her the door.

    I tried to imagine a character like a sports team coach who was a coach all of the players loved, but they also knew they couldn't get away with crap with them, either, and then emulate them.  I'd usually take a stance like, "You know what's happening isn't okay, right?  So, this is what I'm going to need from you, and I hope you'll agree, because I really don't want to have to get all legal on you.  Please don't make me have to do that, okay?"

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    @Lucas Carl Evict. Problem solved.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    We inherited a guy who had been there 24 years, spanning the original owners & the seller as their on-site maintenance guy. A year into our ownership he was disrespectful to my daughter ONCE & he immediately received a 30day & was gone. Our new live-in maintenance guy is a gem!!!

  • LA · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    The tenant might really have some psychological issues or might getting through hard times. But that's not the way anyone should treat a person who provides them with a home. 

    Nasty texts are unacceptable! 

    Try to communicate with the tenant through your PM platform (if they finally sign up) so that you'll have everything in one place in case of eviction. 

    And I believe you'll need to file an eviction once the lockdown is over. 

  • Knoxville, TN · Member since 2019 · 111 posts · 57 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Luke Carl:

    She refuses to give me her email to get on tenant cloud.

    Every month before she pays rent she demands I give her something new or fix something that isn’t broken.

    Her latest demand is that I wash the pollen off the outside of her house and that’s just not going to happen. She also demands I give her a hose bib so she can water her plants.

    So, text her that foul language is not appreciated and will result in her phone number being blocked. Of course, that will probably result in more drunk texts.

    I'd also send a text and a letter that all non-emergency maintenance requests must be submitted via Tenantcloud or written and mailed letter. Nothing will be accepted via text. And consider a charge for after hours/non-emergency requests. A $50 charge per text received that isn't about emergency maintenance should stop a lot of the texts (at least when sober).  

  • New to Real Estate · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 104 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    As everyone has said, this is so far off the map of acceptable that it's unlikely she'll find her way all the way back.

    We've had a dozen stellar tenants, and then one whose behavior turned this direction. When we began enforcing property rules (such as no loud radio in the backyard all day), she quickly put in her notice to move out. The interaction got worse -- more and more threatening to us personally -- during that time, but she did move out on time with only a minor amount of property damage. I think, in her case, the fact that it was her own decision to move out was a big factor in things going smoothly and ending cleanly. (She had filed at least one other lawsuit so we'd been talking to a lawyer.)

    I'd try to be neutral and/or friendly in demeanor. I wouldn't try to fix her tone or communication style (i.e., no "this language is unacceptable" replies). I would start enforcing / trying to enforce basic rules (all maintenance requests must be received via the portal, or whatever). Example: she sends a 3 am rant. You wait until normal business hours and then text, "Good morning, Carol. Sorry you had some house issues last night. All maintenance requests must be received via the portal. You can also call my assistant Josh at xxx-xxxx." I would also start detaching from her games (not doing the unreasonable maintenance she wants).

    It sounds like she's maybe feeling a lot of hostility and looking for a fight. I'd be as friendly as you can but also as boring as you can, and be watching your back on the legal stuff. Good luck!

  • New to Real Estate · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 104 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    Quick side question: does she even HAVE email and internet? In a lower-income area, I'm not sure requiring all communication via the internet is going to consistently work unless you screen for that. Some of the earlier BP episodes feature people talking about picking up rent in cash -- you can try to enforce the use of a portal, but if she texts you that she needs a plumber because the bathtub is overflowing, you're going to be bummed that you blocked her number.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Ok so this saga continues. Today I get a check in the mail at my Primary Residence from this crazy tenant. I have no idea how she found my address. No return address. Her lease says checks are not allowed. We have been trying desperately to get her hooked up on our software. She refuses. 

    What do I do? A little freaked out she tracked down my home address but I suppose that's part of the deal. 

    Should I send the check back to her and send certified mail saying she must pay on tenant cloud or direct deposit and her rent is now late? 

    Or do I just cash the check and let her win? 

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 65 votes
    6y

    Cash that check fast!!!   I’m guessing go back and reminding her of the rules and find of why she went with a check?  Based on her response the ball’s going to be in your court. If she’s not going to corporate then you have a decision to make.  Compromise as best you can. The basic contract is to pay rent for the accommodation.  If she is not following your rental agreement you have decisions to make. 

    D class always has something, it a matter of picking your poison.  If you are getting rent and she is not destroying the property that would be considered a plus.  

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    6y

    I would just deposit the check. I've had this happen to me with several commercial business tenants! Some people don't trust online banking. It's not worth the fight, so let her win.  You'll know if future tenants will be comfortable with online payments because you can have them pay the deposit online. It's aggravating to go to the Post office every day, I understand.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.