Section 8: Tenant having loud "Overnight Guests" , Report them?

Section 8: Tenant having loud "Overnight Guests" , Report them?

Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes

Argg!! Hate living in Section 8 low income housing, so many problems, but since I'm poor, Guess I have to suck up to it.
Since last week, I have a problem with my neighbor (who are also a tenant on section 8 housing like myself).
My neighbor is having over "Overnight guests" including an infant baby that cries on and off throughout the whole night.
Last night I called the police at 2am, police said they cannot do much on baby crying. Police and I talk to the neighbor, she said her "overnight guests" are staying with her until they find a house. She even give me attitude and dare me to go complaint to the manager.
Which I will on Monday, we live in Section 8 there are rules on having overnight guests over on certain amount of days. And her overnight guests baby is crying at night which effect my sleep.
Should I talk to the manager first? Or contact directly to the Housing Authorities?
Thanks.
And I believe that I should not be force to tollerate disruptive noise from "overnight guests" of a neighbor.
If the guests are Not authorize tenants in this housing complex, and they making noise, I think I should report them. Maybe contact HUD is better?

0
Topic locked
375 views

Most Popular Reply

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
13y

Thread closed.

8
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

150 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Sure, please continue your carwreck, I am here to debate with you.
    I will get to the bottom of this, and make sure the neighbor will pay for if she violates any federal government rules.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 31 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Jon K.:
    I was trying not to comment, but this post just made me laugh. Amazing, isn't it, Dyna?

    If this is the type of logic I have to look forward to as a future landlord I might as well start looking for a property manager right now. This whole thread is beyond belief.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Dyna J.:
    Originally posted by Jon K.:
    I was trying not to comment, but this post just made me laugh. Amazing, isn't it, Dyna?

    If this is the type of logic I have to look forward to as a future landlord I might as well start looking for a property manager right now. This whole thread is beyond belief.

    Dyna J.
    Just don't allow section 8 in your properties and you'll be fine. After sticking around here a while after my first bad tenant (not section 8, but in the pain the in butt), I learned a lot from the people here about how to choose a tenant who doesn't suck and haven't had a problem since. A property manager would be helpful, though. I agree that this thread is beyond belief.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    You should Dyna, and don't be section 8 landlord OK, Because if you are in section 8 and you let 3 unauthorize people living in your property, that means you do not follow HUD rules, and the Housing Authorities will go after you asking why you do not abide to the rules, or else they won't renew the contract to you next year.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    You can call me a troll all you want, but you here replying to a troll thread and a troll like me then you no difference Jon.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · North Wales, PA · Member since 2013 · 116 posts · 44 votes
    13y

    Every person in this thread except for one pays his or her own taxes, rent / mortgage and utilities.

    The one person with free rent and utilities is complaining about a neighbor helping out his or her friend... with a baby, in the winter, by temporarily providing them with a free place to stay for approximately 5 days. Whilst a collection of landlords tried to dissuade her from complaining.

    If I ever hear anyone ever accuse landlords as being heartless, I'm sending them to this thread.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y

    I have a job, my own house, my own car, make rental income, pay taxes, pay my own utilities, paid for my own quality education by myself, pay for my own food, and listen to and learn from the wise advice of others here. The people here know their stuff, and also learn from one another. I don't even like babies, but I do know what is a worthy 911 call and what isn't. And, I know what "quiet enjoyment" rules are in leases and what's normal annoyances in shared living. And, I know what earplugs can do.

    You've sadly lived in section 8 housing for 15 years. You're complaining about a baby who visited for one week. You haven't mentioned if you have a job, but I'm sure the people here could give you career pointers in the Off Topic Forum. They're made it... listen to them. If you need career services, call 323-933-2900. For mental health services, call 1-800-273-8255. I would seriously consider taking some of the wise advice people have given you and bettering your own life and becoming self-supporting through a sustainable good job of your very own.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    To Fran, approximate 5 days? You have proof? If I did not report this, how many days will they be staying?
    And to let you know. The owner say if I did not report this, the on site manager will eventually notice.

    I go by the rules, since I sign the rules to live here in section 8. And I have the rights to report any suspicious actions around my neighbors including UNAUTHORIZE people live in my neighbor house.

    And to Fran, Please bring this to court and tell the judge that a baby is hungry and they need a place to stay.
    HAHA! If this baby parents are U.S citizenship, please go to welfare department and apply for welfare to feed this baby. Or unemployment, any U.S citizen and permanent residents get that you know, unless you work under the table and not file taxes.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 31 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    You should Dyna, and don't be section 8 landlord OK, Because if you are in section 8 and you let 3 unauthorize people living in your property, that means you do not follow HUD rules, and the Housing Authorities will go after you asking why you do not abide to the rules, or else they won't renew the contract to you next year.

    How would they be "unauthorized" if I am aware of them and ALLOW them to be guests there?

    Eileen have you ever thought about buying your own building and filling it with section 8 tenants? You have 15 years of experience plus you get to police/control others.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    And Fran, the housing authorities were not dissuade me from complaining. They say it themselves that these 3 people are UNAUTHORIZE.
    If you sad that Housing say they are unauthorize, feel free to contact section 8 authorities and beg them to let this 3 people with an infant baby stay here until they find a house, HAHA!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · North Wales, PA · Member since 2013 · 116 posts · 44 votes
    13y

    I just can't imagine calling the police because my neighbor's baby or her guest's baby was crying.

    Maybe I'm just too nice for this business.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Dyna, according to section 8 outlines rules. If the people are living in your house overnight and not report and the housing are not aware of it, they are UNAUTHORIZE.

    You know why the authorities say to me they are Unauthorize, because they never get any notice from them. The neighbor can just walk down to the housing office and say she have friends staying with her until they find a house. But she did not do this, and this going on for a week.
    A week is enough time for someone to just walk down to the office and let housing be aware of this issue.

    And they are guests if they can prove their current address Dyna. If they have no current address, no home. And they staying here, that means they getting shelter. And even if you allow that, do you think the government of section 8 will let you do that?

    Your property is invest in section 8, so you need to follow the government section 8 rules Dyna. If not they just won't renew your contract with them next year.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    You damn right Dyna, if you AWARE of it, they are not unauthorize. If the neighbor go to your office and tell you 3 extra people are there in her apartment, then they are not Unauthorize.
    But neighbor did NOT do this, and now someone complaint. That is how the housing authorities knows. That do not automatically qualify them to stay overnight until they find a house.
    Right now I believe the neighbor have to prove to the housing that these 3 people have an address at somewhere else and is just visting her.
    It is easy to proof you know, just show them this 3 people phone bills, a mail to their address. Then they will become authorize guests.
    But until they neighbor do this, she is giving them the impression that she is sheltering them because from her words to the police "they staying with me until they find a house"

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Amaze how you think it is your property and you can allow 3 people live in there until you they find a place. Dyna.
    If your property is invest under section 8, you even the landlord have no choice to follow the section 8 guidelines.

    Since you love to shelter people so much Dyna, don't invest your property in section 8, becasue the government are very strict with this unauthorize people issue. And there not a damn thing you can do about it if your property is under section 8 guidelines.

    Dyna, maybe you should shelter this 3 people. Please let me know if you want them to come to live on your property for free. I believe they still trying to find a place to stay.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Oh but be aware, make sure you check that they are U.S citizenships or permanent residents here in USA, okay.
    If they are people that just came from Vietnam and trying to settle their life here in USA. You let them stay in your property and if anything happened while they on your property, you will be FULLY Responsible from it.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 31 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Jon K.:
    If you need career services, call 323-933-2900. FOR MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES, call 1-800-273-8255. I would seriously consider taking some of the wise advice people have given you and bettering your own life and becoming self-supporting through a sustainable good job of your very own.

    Reposting what Jon said, incase you missed it the first time around.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2010 · 812 posts · 178 votes
    13y

    Wow this is at 8 pages. I stopped reading after 4. I don't think Eileen is real, she/he has to be a troll to just rile people up.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    You can give me any phone you want, I refuse to call.

    Jon, you have no proof they stay here 1 week or not. If I did not report them, how long would they stay? Can you go to court and take full responsibility from them and guarantee they stay here 1 week only?

    They are here 1 week because I report them. And the housing are after them now to ask them to provide documentations.

    Jon, It is easy to proof you know, just show them this 3 people phone bills, a mail to their address. Then they will become authorize guests.
    Let's see if the neighbor can proof this to section 8 authorities. If not, then tough luck for the neighbor.

    And no need worried about me, I am not the starving baby like Dyna said. How about give the baby father and mother the welfare phone number so they can called. Or an unemployment number so the father can called, in case if he just lost his job and now he getting shelter.

    Oh and tough luck for the baby if their mom and dad are not U.S citizen or permanent resident here in USA then NO WELFARE fore the Baby, HAHA!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Yup and if I am a troll, is working, because people are helping me debate, and now are up to 8 pages.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2010 · 812 posts · 178 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    Yup and if I am a troll, is working, because people are helping me debate, and now are up to 8 pages.

    No they are helping you continue to abuse the english language and prove yourself to have an education that cannot be past the 8th grade.

    Last post on the thread and in before the lock.

    3
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Is OK, I am 8th grade, and amazingly you people are so high class and still here reply to an 8 grade grammar person like myself. Haha!
    Lock it if you want, banned me if you want. I just reply back to those who replies to my post.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    Eileen N. - you seem to be quite aware of the housing rules and practices for Section 8. Have you considered applying for a job with the Housing Authority / HUD to help them enforce their own rules?

    2
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Thank you Jon, please post welfare phone numbers for the baby. She needs it more than I do, she is being shelter, Haha.

    Give the baby father and mother the welfare phone number so they can called. Or an unemployment number so the father can called, in case if he just lost his job and now he getting shelter.
    And I damn sure that before the welfare give welfare to anyone, they will check and make sure those people are U.S citizen and permanent resident.
    Welfare don't have big heart like Jon and Dyna, to shelter babies. Dyna and Jon, if you want to shelter these 3 people, please let these 3 people contact you, they would love to go live in your property until they find a house.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Steve, I just say what the section 8 people say about these 3 guests.
    It is easy to proof you know, just show them this 3 people phone bills, a mail to their address. Then they will become authorize guests.
    Let's see if the neighbor can proof this to section 8 authorities. If they can, I welcome the baby with open arms.

    And, the section 8 are PROMISE to solve this issue, they say it will need times and legal stuff. I do not know what they going to do. But if they don't abide by the government laws and UNLAWFULLY help out these 3 guests. THen I will make sure I apply for a job in HUD and remind them to follow their rules, HAHAHAHA!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Thread closed.

    8
    Topic locked