Springfield Gardens, NY · Member since 2017 · 258 posts · 63 votes
Want to see how you feel like eviction moratorium expiring? do you think they will just extend it? going to be crazy back up and bottle neck? I know in NY it was hard enough evicting before covid ever hit the scene, can't imagine what it would be like now. Wonder what its like in your market?
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
5y
The longer they keep the moratorium, the worse the economic damage from it. Odds are very good that congress or the President will extend this through at least mid 2021. The best hope landlords have is a lawsuit that makes its way to the supreme court to rule these moratoriums unconstitutional. In my opinion, they violate the taking clause and due process clauses of the constitution.
Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
Hey @Isaac El Good question, we should see this next month or so what this will lead to if they lift the moratorium. There are a lot of people that I work with that are investors with no issues collecting rent here in California. Of course the moratorium gets lifted and then there will be signs of higher evictions, and I think the needle here will tick up on that number. It sounds like we should not see as many as you would think, at least on our side of the US.
Hey @Isaac El Good question, we should see this next month or so what this will lead to if they lift the moratorium. There are a lot of people that I work with that are investors with no issues collecting rent here in California. Of course the moratorium gets lifted and then there will be signs of higher evictions, and I think the needle here will tick up on that number. It sounds like we should not see as many as you would think, at least on our side of the US.
prior to covid how long would it take to do an eviction?
Investor · Colonial Heights, VA · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 53 votes
5y
@Isaac El I definitely think the eviction moratorium will get extended but I also think some kind of rent relief program will also be in place nationally to bailout small landlords. The more important question is whether the eviction moratorium is a "black swan" event or if it will be a policy which is implemented any time the economy goes south.
@Isaac El I definitely think the eviction moratorium will get extended but I also think some kind of rent relief program will also be in place nationally to bailout small landlords. The more important question is whether the eviction moratorium is a "black swan" event or if it will be a policy which is implemented any time the economy goes south.
your right, or even maybe some way tenants that can't pay rent can apply for relief, and that money has to come to landlord? who knows, but also agree it will get extended, but at some point something has to give
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
5y
The longer they keep the moratorium, the worse the economic damage from it. Odds are very good that congress or the President will extend this through at least mid 2021. The best hope landlords have is a lawsuit that makes its way to the supreme court to rule these moratoriums unconstitutional. In my opinion, they violate the taking clause and due process clauses of the constitution.
Property Manager · Janesville, WI · Member since 2017 · 707 posts · 297 votes
5y
I have a feeling the moratorium is going to get extended into February or March. The government will most likely want to clear themselves of the winter before allowing a mass of evictions to occur. The backup from these evictions is going to span months whenever the ban is lifted. Be prepared to move slowly and painfully when it comes back online. Get your cash for keys ready to go!
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
I find it unlikely that they are going to allow these evictions to take place in the winter, especially in colder climates and see this being extended to at least the spring. I have said before and still agree with the eviction moratoriums and find it immoral to evict during a pandemic due to the tenant being unable to work due to the government shutting down their work. Where the gov. and I differ is who should bear the financial risk. Sure the tenant owes the money and we are legally able to sue and collect from it but practically speaking, that money is gone. I feel that the gov. needs to set up a fund to pay tenants rent and then it is up to them to collect on that debt as they have the tools and resources to do so where as it will be hard for us. I have been lucky that all my tenants are paying but if they weren't I really wouldn't care where the money came from as long as it were paid and there weren't unreasonable strings attached. These moratoriums are only letting them dig themselves deeper and deeper in a hole that there is no way they will ever get out of, if they don't have the money now why will they suddenly come up with the back rent as well as continue to pay. About the only thing we have going for us for them to end though is that with the exception of GA the elections are over so they don't need to pander as hard trying to buy votes. I still say the way to go is don't renew any term leases and keep the tenant m2m so it is easier to get a problem tenant out. Screening is more important now than ever but will be even more so once the evictions start to take place. Many of us plan cash for keys which will help stop the bleeding but we are accepting our losses and they will move to the next unsuspecting landlord to do it the next chance they get.
I know it will keep getting extended in Washington state. I don’t see how there’s not major real estate groups not suing over it really violates the landlords rights, and my question is if the governors want it that bad why are they not telling the banks they can’t forclose or assign late fees.
Real Estate Agent · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2014 · 486 posts · 303 votes
5y
@Isaac El once it TRULY expires, I feel like a lot of credit scores will take a big hit and there will be a lot of surprised people who thought they wouldn’t have to pay anything back.
Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
5y
One of the most non-sensical things I keep hearing is that, once eviction moratoriums are lifted, it's going to cause a wave of evictions that will overwhelm the system.
Yes, that is probably true. And? So what? How EXACTLY does extending eviction moratoriums solve this proooblleemmm? The longer it goes on, doesn't it actually make that problem exponentially wwooorrrssseee? Of course it does.
Poor politicians. SO HARD to follow obvious, logical conclusions! I'm sure they are the same ones who think most tenants are unicorns that will magically pay months of past due rent when they get their "supposedly lost" jobs back, as opposed to just disappearing when they FINALLY get their notice of an eviction court hearing.
For my area (Orleans Parish), eviction court has been back open since early June. The state-ordered eviction moratorium ended back then also. I've had a couple close calls, but haven't had to try and evict anyone yet. As such, I'm not sure what the local backlog looks like, but it is something I'll be worried about if I need to go the eviction route.
Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
5y
The moratorium will definitely get extended...no question. The true question is when will it end. Some of these states will have a hard time putting the toothpaste back in the tube any time soon.
Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
@Isaac El Oregon is trying to extend it through June. We went from a middle of the pack landlord friendly state when I started in 2011, to top 3 unconstitutional leftist nut cake states in 2020. Things move fast
Its a gross abuse of powers and over stepping on the governments side. Government should have limited power as it was when originally created. Telling us how to survive and treating our lively hoods should be a crime in its self. 0
The elephant in the room is tenants who have no issue making rent taking advantage and just stop paying. We/i literally have no recourse.
its disgusting that no one cares about us/me as a landlord who has my own bills to pay.
This will get extended to at least second quarter- mid 2021. As it sits now you have to wait 2 months after it expires before you can start eviction. And when factoring in the bottle necking and the existing slow turn around in ny/nj all evictions will take 12 months time, this is my humble opinion on this.
Its a gross abuse of powers and over stepping on the governments side. Government should have limited power as it was when originally created. Telling us how to survive and treating our lively hoods should be a crime in its self.
The elephant in the room is tenants who have no issue making rent taking advantage and just stop paying. We/i literally have no recourse.
its disgusting that no one cares about us/me as a landlord who has my own bills to pay.
This will get extended to at least second quarter- mid 2021. As it sits now you have to wait 2 months after it expires before you can start eviction. And when factoring in the bottle necking and the existing slow turn around in ny/nj all evictions will take 12 months time, this is my humble opinion on this.
I'm in Newark Nj not to far from you in NY and both of our Governors are doing a lot of the same things. I think the moratorium will be extended 1 more month through January and II'm hoping it ends at that point. With that said we will be able to get in front of a Judge sometime in April. A lot of landlords really hurting right now.
Rental Property Investor · San Anselmo · Member since 2015 · 659 posts · 600 votes
5y
Im confident they will extend well into 2021. This isn't just delaying the inevitable, it is actually compounding the inevitable evictions from a quantitative manner while disrupting economy, placing all the weight on landlords and banks.
Every single tenant that has came to me and asked for some relief during Covid I have empathically obliged, as Im sure the vast majority of investors would also do. This moratorium is really a way for the few selected tenants to take advantage of the law, or not go find work in a different field. Yes, your job at the retail shopping center may have you laid off, but there is nothing stopping you from applying at the UPS, Amazon, Door Dash, Uber Eats, cyber security, medical suppliers, protective equipment, or any essential workers positions.
At some point people have to be responsible and start paying the rent. There are some gaming the system who can pay and aren't, many more I am sure can pay some of the rent. When it lifted where I was, there wasn't a wave of evictions.
@Isaac El once it TRULY expires, I feel like a lot of credit scores will take a big hit and there will be a lot of surprised people who thought they wouldn’t have to pay anything back.
I'm in Newark Nj not to far from you in NY and both of our Governors are doing a lot of the same things. I think the moratorium will be extended 1 more month through January and II'm hoping it ends at that point. With that said we will be able to get in front of a Judge sometime in April. A lot of landlords really hurting right now.
Yes, in NYC even prior to covid, It could take 1 -2 years to evict somebody, and if somebody knew how to delay it then even longer, can't imagine what it will be like after this, NYC is having lots of problems right now in general
Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y
I will be shocked if it doesn't get extended. So far we have been able to help our tenants get hooked up with cares act rent assistance so we are still getting paid. Usually 2-3 months at a time. We only had one tenant need help in round 1 of funding (paid in early July for Mar-July) we bought the property middle of June, 3 in round 2 (Aug - Oct), now 8 in round 3 (Nov-Dec). Here, cares act rent assistance funding is being administered by our county in conjunction with about 15ish non-profits. The money comes straight to us not to the tenant.