Tenant screening uncovered DUI's, jail time etc

Tenant screening uncovered DUI's, jail time etc

Rick BassettBusiness Member
Property Manager · Greater New Haven, CT · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 434 votes

Hi All,

Looking for a sanity check here with a potential tenant.

He called on a property, loved it with 2 minutes of walking through it (almost no one loves this property as it has a strange floor plan) and emailed his rental app within a hour. Called me a few hours later looking for a quick approval and said he had a check to drop off. I pushed him back so that we could do a proper screening.

The initial screening (Google) turned up that he was arrested for several DUI's. After a little digging we were also able to find out that he did several 30 - 90 days stints in jail for charges related to these DUI's including violating probation and driving with a suspended license.

I'm inclined to turn him down for the reasons above plus he is self employed 45 minutes from here and has no drivers license to legally get to work.

What would you do?

Rick

Bassett Property Management5108 Reviews
1Reply
331 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y

Sorry if I was vague. The reasons I've found come to these conclusions about certain occupations over the years are as follows:

Self employed - Income fluctuates and almost impossible to collect from after they move. I've found that most self employed people don't claim very much on their taxes, so they screen themselves out. Some will work out fine and I will rent to them if they check out ok. Most do not.

Lawyers - My cousin is a lawyer. We all know lawyers who are fine people. The problem is that they are indoctrinated to solve their problems in the court room. If any little issue comes up between you and your tenant, you could end up in court. If that happens, you are going to lose. It's like bringing a knife to a gunfight. I have no interest in getting into any type of disagreement with a lawyer.

Bail bondsmen - I've met a few. They are in a very sketchy business dealing with criminals on a daily basis. The stories I've heard from them are nothing short of fascinating, but I basically want nothing to do with them. Even in the movie Jackie Brown, Samuel Jackson says, "Bail bondsmen are as crooked as a barrel of snakes". I've found that to be true. If any problems come up between you and them, they know people who can make your life miserable. I prefer to avoid them.

Strippers/hookers - I think this one is obvious, but I have had two for tenants. One was actually that fairy tale you hear about the girl who dances to pay for college. She was a fine tenant, but had some questionable people hanging out at the house. The other was a coked out skank who made mad cash and was always broke. She would pay her rent in $20's and $1's. It was disgusting. Her boyfriend was cool, but she was a horrible person.

Hairdressers - I know I will take some heat for this, but in general, I have found that they are just a small step above strippers/hookers. I don't know if all of the daily gossip turns them into sociopathic liars, or if those types of people are just drawn to the business. I've found that they spend so much money trying to fight time and gravity that rent becomes priority #2. Looking hot is priority #1, even if they are way past their prime.

Landscapers - I suppose this would vary by region and they could be fine tenants in some parts. I see that Matt Devincenzo and Peter Moser are in California and Texas. Landscaping is year round in those states. Where I'm at, there are four seasons. (Usually) Landscapers can make a lot of money in the summer. When fall hits, it slows to nothing. Then in winter, they sit around waiting for it to snow. It doesn't always happen. I should have said in my earlier post that it's because of the seasonal nature in my area. A landscaper in California or Texas would probably be fine for a tenant.

Also, many landlords will not rent to cops. They fear that the law could be used against them if things go bad. I have a cop for a tenant and he's great. There are dirty cops out there, but I've found that most are fine. They are usually very logical people and don't deal with all the mealy mouthed double speak that annoys me.

I hope this helps. Also, If your mom/sister/wife is a hairdresser, just ignore my comments. It doesn't apply to all of them and I know there are hairdressers who are fine people. They can just rent from someone other than me.

See this reply in the discussion

62 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rick BassettBusiness Member
    OP
    Property Manager · Greater New Haven, CT · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 434 votes
    13y

    I've no intention of trusting him my $250k house. I turned him down yesterday and he has already sent me two emails with excuses.

    I stick to the decisions that I make and won't reconsider his application, I imagine he is used to pushing others into getting what he wants. Not this time.

    Bassett Property Management5108 Reviews
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Feels much better now, doesn't it? Making the right call always does.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Rick B.:
    ... I turned him down yesterday and he has already sent me two emails with excuses.
    ...

    Get yourself a throw-away email account for dealing with applicants and prospects; only give the "good" email address you regularly use to tenants you actually accept.

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2012 · 210 posts · 15 votes
    13y

    I had a live-in property manager for a property I inherited. I did a background check and uncovered a crime from 20 years ago, but that he did time 5 years ago due to failure-to-report. I also uncovered a theft charge of $500-1000 from 4 years ago. At the time I was hesistant to not renew his lease/play ball, as I believe in giving folks second chances. Ultimately I proactively offered him less rent for a period of time to transition to a new place.

    This is what I got in return:
    - A bid for $1000 to repair some siding which should cost $150-200
    - He vacated the unit in the first month and never paid rent. Cost me $900 and potentially summer leasing season
    - Another tenant said he was going to steal my appliances
    - Other tenants said they didn't trust him and were glad he was gone and wanted re-keyd apartments

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Dawn's quote of the day (and it's a tweet-able!):

    People treat a second chance like a found dollar bill -- some will put it to good use, and other people will simply squander it.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Dawn A.:
    Dawn's quote of the day (and it's a tweet-able!):

    People treat a second chance like a found dollar bill -- some will put it to good use, and other people will simply squander it.

    Dawn:

    What's a dollar bill? :-) Haven't seen one in decades ;-)

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Roy N. -- okay, in your case a loonie or a toonie then! Funny enough, I'm working through a rehab on a house and found a toonie -- that I have no use for (at this point).

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Dawn A.

    It must be the week for finding currency ... I was cleaning the last lath & plaster rubble out of a wall cavity yesterday and found a Nova Scotia Penny from 1867 {the last minting before Confederation}. It is fairly well worn, but apparently worth $25 ...

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    I guess ever landlord want a straight a tenant.


    Joe Gore

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    @Rob K,

    You forgot to add the Unions to that list because they are the scum of the earth.

    Joe Gore

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    I can see why landlords don't like to rent to lawyers because they are a professional tenant who asked questions and vet the landlord whom most landlords will start to sweat when a tenant start asking questions and vetting the landlord.


    Joe Gore

  • Investor · Avilla, IN · Member since 2013 · 796 posts · 769 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Rob K.:

    "Strippers/hookers - I think this one is obvious, but I have had two for tenants. One was actually that fairy tale you hear about the girl who dances to pay for college. She was a fine tenant, but had some questionable people hanging out at the house. The other was a coked out skank who made mad cash and was always broke. She would pay her rent in $20's and $1's. It was disgusting. Her boyfriend was cool, but she was a horrible person."

    One more reason to never accept cash! While were on the subject of strippers and cash....if you're planning a trip to a strip club please remember to get your ones from the bank before you go vs. getting them at the club. Once the ones get into the strip club theyre recycled MANY times before they make it back out. YUCK!

    .

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.