Are your tenants buying houses too?

Are your tenants buying houses too?

Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes

Too many of our tenants are buying and even building houses; this is an expensive market! I'm happy for them and they are not hard to replace; but still!

You guys and gals experiencing the same?

1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
5y
Originally posted by @Dan M.:

@Bjorn Ahlblad I am not selling my properties to tenants but I did just watch a cool podcast where some landlords were making that their new norm, essentially differing all maintenance expenses to them I thought it was a good strategy. I plan to employ it in the future upon lease signing to interested parties. Effectively its a win win situation where the tenant with maybe shoddy credit is able to purchase a home in a few years and its good for the owner because they get a guaranteed purchase price x time in the future with no maintenance costs. 

I've been doing the same, just verbally.  I would prefer a tenant with a goal of homeownership. Would like to sell you this one down the line when you're ready. 

I am being truthful and have had tenants that take care of the house. 

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Unadilla NY · Member since 2017 · 418 posts · 297 votes
    5y

    I think my particular market is too hot right now for buying to be an option I have had noone leave to purchase. Why don't you sell them your rentals or see if they want to do a rent to own scenario? 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    I've seen an increase in Tenants becoming home buyers, but it still hasn't impacted our rental market, which is very competitive. There are too many people moving to our area and we're experiencing a serious shortage in homes to buy and rent.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Dan M. We have had tenants wanting to buy our duplexes, however I like the rental income and they are too hard to replace given the current market. Are you selling your properties to tenants?

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Nathan GesnerImagine a scenario where someone has not paid rent for a year and that makes up half of their down payment; they leave you high and dry. The LL wouldn't even know what's up-just happy a bad tenant is leaving! Far fetched-maybe; diabolical and entirely doable given today's political climate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    well, just to play devils advocate - There are many  LLs that are not paying their mortgages just because they can - they use that money to save and fix up or buy new properties.....   So why would it be wrong for tenants do same? 

    (I dont support folks using the Covid laws unless they have lost income, just pointing out the similarity)

    ETA: rental tenants usually are younger families so it makes sense they are wanting to buy and move up the economic/adult ladder...  and yes buying is one of the main reasons my tenants move) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    We had a bond trader leave last summer- but we knew they were going to buy after they got married.

    Another young, married couple who want to buy in the area and told us as much when we rented to them, have found the skyrocketting market is a no go. Houses are being snatched up with less than a week on the market, well over the moronic agents' asking prices.

  • Real Estate Investor · Unadilla NY · Member since 2017 · 418 posts · 297 votes
    5y

    @Bjorn Ahlblad I am not selling my properties to tenants but I did just watch a cool podcast where some landlords were making that their new norm, essentially differing all maintenance expenses to them I thought it was a good strategy. I plan to employ it in the future upon lease signing to interested parties. Effectively its a win win situation where the tenant with maybe shoddy credit is able to purchase a home in a few years and its good for the owner because they get a guaranteed purchase price x time in the future with no maintenance costs. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dan M.:

    @Bjorn Ahlblad I am not selling my properties to tenants but I did just watch a cool podcast where some landlords were making that their new norm, essentially differing all maintenance expenses to them I thought it was a good strategy. I plan to employ it in the future upon lease signing to interested parties. Effectively its a win win situation where the tenant with maybe shoddy credit is able to purchase a home in a few years and its good for the owner because they get a guaranteed purchase price x time in the future with no maintenance costs. 

    I've been doing the same, just verbally.  I would prefer a tenant with a goal of homeownership. Would like to sell you this one down the line when you're ready. 

    I am being truthful and have had tenants that take care of the house. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Knowingly not doing maintenance and allowing it to accumulate then passing those needed repairs onto your buying tenant all the while reaping the cash slow from not doing your job? 

    Reason 5678 of why LLs are not liked much 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mary M.:

    well, just to play devils advocate - There are many  LLs that are not paying their mortgages just because they can - they use that money to save and fix up or buy new properties.....   So why would it be wrong for tenants do same? 

    (I dont support folks using the Covid laws unless they have lost income, just pointing out the similarity)

    In both cases, the payments are simply delayed. The difference? If a Landlord fails to make payments and then walks away, the mortgage lender will take possession of the home and they'll lose all equity and their credit rating. If a tenant walks away, they don't lose anything and there is a very good chance they won't even be reported to the credit reporting agencies because it's so difficult for a mom-and-pop Landlord to do that. I estimate less than 20% of delinquent renters will be chased after or reported to the credit reporting agencies.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Nathan Gesner that is not even relevant? I am merely pointing out there is a double standard.   LLs should not be not paying their mortgage just cause they can, just like tenants should not not pay their rent just cause they can.... 


    both are taking advantage of a pandemic to self serve while hurting others - ie the person expecting that income each month. 

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    @Bjorn Ahlblad I like it when my tenants buy homes for themselves. Besides the feel-good factor of seeing them go from renters to homeowners, I have a clause in my lease that says they can break the lease anytime to buy a home, providing they use me as their buyer’s agent. Win-win!

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Steve K.Great idea! That is a win-win!

  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 728 posts · 596 votes
    5y

    @Bjorn Ahlblad

    Sure, I have tenants buying houses. But many of my tenants are young professionals so it is expected.

  • Burnaby, BC · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 268 votes
    5y

    Many prospective tenants are complaining about rents and prices being so high they will be homeless or have to move further away from the mainland. They also don't understand why they can't get a mortgage when it will be lower than the rent they're paying and far underestimating the cost of maintaining a condo/townhouse nor can they save up enough of a downpayment.

    I usually stick to safer tenants with good income and a couple have advised they'll be looking for a home but haven't been able to find one they like or can afford yet this year.

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @Steve Vaughan @Mary M. I defer the majority of the maintenance to my tenants all the time when I set up the lease with the option to buy program with them. It is written into the agreements that they will be taking care of the fixes to the property. However, anything major (usually a cost of $1000 or more) that is necessary such as a AC unit going out, etc. we will take care of the cost but then we add the repair/replacement costs to the option price. So we recoup that money eventually if the tenant buyer exercises the option. It can really be a win-win program.

    We have had 4 people exercise their option within the last 6 months. All of them walked into tens of thousands of dollars of equity. They weren’t complaining about repair costs.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Not too bad.   When you deal with quality apartments, with real middle class residents, you inevitably end up with losing tenants to the purchase market.  Work force housing has more "permanent renters."   I seek these types of tenants because they stay longer.  Turnover is costly to my business.

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Bjorn Ahlblad I have see more and more put themselves into a position to buy which is great. Our market has so little rentals that it has not effected demand when we get one out on the market to rent. 

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    Too many of our tenants are buying and even building houses; this is an expensive market! I'm happy for them and they are not hard to replace; but still!

    You guys and gals experiencing the same?

     I have had a couple buy houses, but that is pretty typical for me. Despite the media claiming everyone has hardship, most of the country has more cash reserves than ever. Look at the latest round of stimulus. A family of four making under $150K household income will get $5600. In my city, with first time home buyer programs, that is enough cash to buy a house. 

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    It's normal,  we see normally 1 per year, and we're happy for them to reach home ownership.     I haven't seen an increase in home buyers, if anything I'd say I've seen less movement (unless we end the lease), due to rentals prices jumping up drastically!   We had one tenant say they wanted to move because of schools, and within a week they wanted to let us know--- nope, they aren't going anywhere!  lol

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.