SPRINKLERS NEEDED ON REHABBED 5-10 UNIT PROPERTIES?? PHILADELPHIA

SPRINKLERS NEEDED ON REHABBED 5-10 UNIT PROPERTIES?? PHILADELPHIA

Rental Property Investor · Blue Bell, PA · Member since 2018 · 93 posts · 12 votes

Hi everyone!I'm looking to acquire a small multifamily (5-10 units) property in Philly this year to keep growing my buy and hold portfolio. I would prefer to find a property in northwest Philly but I'm also looking in the surrounding suburbs.I'm encountering situations where properties of this size in need of a heavy rehab (full or partial gut jobs) don't have sprinkler systems. I'm trying to educate myself on when a sprinkler system is required by L&I on existing 5-10 unit properties that need a lot of rehab; I anticipate that installing a new sprinkler system could be quite costly so it's good to know when to add this to my rehab budget when making offers. Can anyone experienced in this area provide some insight?

Alternatively, please let me know if you know someone I can reach out to who may know more about this topic.

3Reply
15 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Phialdelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 510 posts · 627 votes
    5y

    Hi @Oscar Beteta,

    If you get work permits L&I may require you to have sprinkler system installed. L&I would you best source of the information. However, they often provide with wrong answers unless you speak to a knowledgeable person. 

    Check out Philly fire code. Your type of building should be in group R-2. https://codes.iccsafe.org/cont... 

    and building code https://codelibrary.amlegal.co...

    Your best bet if L&I would grandfather the current use without any changes. 

    You can also ask this question a contractor that would test fire systems. 

    Cheers, 

    Yuriy  

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Best to assume they will be required, because retrofitting after a major rehab will be a nightmare. 

    We have a 60's era MF that was OK until a large apartment building in the town caught fire (cigarette into the garden mulch). Then all local MF buildings had to be inspected & brought up to new fire codes & at the time the Bldg Insp., adhered strictly to IRC2018.

    However, our Town allowed me to design, build & install the entire system throughout the building. But we also had to have a Commercial Architect on board to complete the drawings, design specs, document the system components & the specific convoluted areas requiring fire sprinkler coverage. Then the Fire Chief went through to sign off on it as well as confirm the installation & testing of a 24/7 1st responder monitoring fire alarm system ($90/month).

    I certainly learnt a lot & we got it signed off. Total Cost was materials only as the Architect was a pt of my wife's so he didn't charge us for his time.

  • Architect · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2018 · 843 posts · 907 votes
    5y

    5+ units is GUARUNTEED to need sprinklers if you do a major rehab. Thats just building code for you. Heck, building code is going the way of eventually requiring single family homes to have sprinklers. Its best now that everyone starts getting use to sprinkler systems as part of life in buildings now. 

    The only unknown is when you are doing a rehab, at what point or how much rehab, triggers the need to add sprinklers. This is set by each city/state. And if you are going to be doing that kind of rehab odds are the city will require an architect as well for your project. Even though you are a residential building, you step into the realm of commercial when you get to 5+ units. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.