Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
This morning the CDC extended the eviction moratorium through June 30, 2021.
The first stipulation states the tenant is making best efforts to secure assistance. Given the $50B that congress has allocated to rent assistance, it is hard to imagine that anyone that qualifies and tries wouldn't get assistance. It seems reasonable in my opinion to demand evidence of what efforts are being made to get assistance.
I love the insanity of the income limits on the eviction order. It protects people who made up to $99K individual or $200K jointly in 2020. In other words during 2020 (the pandemic year) you could have a household making $16,000 per month and they could not pay rent claiming hardship!
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y
There's no end to the nonsense. A study in Washington found that of the 212,000 tenants behind on rent, over 12% of them admitted to no loss of income. They are literally refusing to pay rent just because they can get away with it. I suspect 12% is probably conservative.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y
Yes, it was long. However, I'm on my second glass of wine and haven't much better to do.
I see the guitar as a metaphor for freedom, which seems to be squelched by those currently in power. However, this is a discussion for another thread and I won't say any more.
I will enjoy my wine and hack on my acoustic while further contemplating.
I love Texas! Looks like my state will no longer enforce the CDC eviction moratorium as of 4/1/2021. A federal prosecutor could go after the landlord but the state supreme court would not. That being said I still plan on having 3-6 month leases in case another strand causes re-enforcement of the moratorium.
Another thought. The 50% rule states that even when the property is paid for the taxes, insurance, management, and maintenance would still consume half the rent. So for the argument of "we can defer our loans to cover our losses" well that only covers half our cost. To cover the other half our local governments would have to not collect taxes, insurance companies would be forced to cover property for free, ect....
Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 16 votes
4y
Hey guys! If anyone wouldnt mind lending a hand, Pittsburgh is talking about extending the memorandum for no reason now. Please call or email the mayor's office to state that this isnt a good idea.