CDC Extends Eviction Moratorium to June 30, 2021

82 Replies

This morning the CDC extended the eviction moratorium through June 30, 2021. 

The first stipulation states the tenant is making best efforts to secure assistance. Given the $50B that congress has allocated to rent assistance, it is hard to imagine that anyone that qualifies and tries wouldn't get assistance. It seems reasonable in my opinion to demand evidence of what efforts are being made to get assistance. 

I love the insanity of the income limits on the eviction order. It protects people who made up to $99K individual or $200K jointly in 2020. In other words during 2020 (the pandemic year) you could have a household making $16,000 per month and they could not pay rent claiming hardship! 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru...

This form is required:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru...

Originally posted by @Bjorn Ahlblad :

It warms my heart and swells my chest with pride just knowing my tax money is in good hands!

The government is not even consistent with their ideocracy. The last round of stimulus checks was capped at households making $150K per year, but you can make up to $199K and qualify for the eviction moratorium. 

Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock :
Originally posted by @Bjorn Ahlblad:

It warms my heart and swells my chest with pride just knowing my tax money is in good hands!

The government is not even consistent with their ideocracy. The last round of stimulus checks was capped at households making $150K per year, but you can make up to $199K and qualify for the eviction moratorium. 

It makes perfect sense. The CDC director makes 210K. It would have been unethical if she personally benefited from the moratorium.

They need to get rid of no-fault eviction protections. If you own a house and want to move in, and have a paying tenant who you'd like to leave so you can LIVE IN YOUR OWN HOUSE ... I am not clear on why the moratorium should prevent this. If your mom gets sick and can't work, you can't move YOUR OWN MOM into an apartment in a building YOU OWN so she can be close so you can keep an eye on her and take care of her?

WTH?

Explain it to me like I am 5 years old - go really slowly and make it crystal clear. I have all day ...

It continues to be a giant steaming pile from our feckless government who care only about the banks - just like 2009.

There's no end to the nonsense. A study in Washington found that of the 212,000 tenants behind on rent, over 12% of them admitted to no loss of income. They are literally refusing to pay rent just because they can get away with it. I suspect 12% is probably conservative.

Originally posted by @Nathan G. :

There's no end to the nonsense. A study in Washington found that of the 212,000 tenants behind on rent, over 12% of them admitted to no loss of income. They are literally refusing to pay rent just because they can get away with it. I suspect 12% is probably conservative.

Only 12% admitting to lying and the other 88% said, I swear I was affected by COVID (wink wink).

The data they based the risk on is also questionable. They used comparison between states that lifted their moratoriums between March and September 2020 with those that did not,  with limited controls of state differences.  They didn't support a moratorium by comparing Covid incidence in people who were evicted with those who were not evicted which might make some sense and the time period of comparison is not relevant to current circumstances where there are vaccines and decreased unemployment.  Most importantly it they did not even suggest they would tie the end of the moratorium to anything objective.   

I like this part of the justification " I hereby conclude that immediate action is again necessary without prior notice and comment and without a delay in the effective date."  Like they didn't see it coming...its their moratorium.

Originally posted by @Greg Franck :

Is anyone hedging this with shorter duration leases for new tenants?  

We aren't renewing any leases for tenants we have concerns about (non screened, inherited). New tenants are getting 1 year leases.

@Joe Splitrock Landlords are evil money grubbing cretins and deserve what they get. They don't need government protection when they can just take money from their gold filled swimming pools a la McDuck style. Thank God the government is protecting the little guy from those monsters.

Originally posted by @Peter M. :

@Joe Splitrock Landlords are evil money grubbing cretins and deserve what they get. They don't need government protection when they can just take money from their gold filled swimming pools a la McDuck style. Thank God the government is protecting the little guy from those monsters.

The reality is, they are killing off mom-and-pop investors, which means the large corporations will just continue to grow. What happens when renters have no choice but to rent from one of a few national companies? Government did the same thing with brick-and-mortar businesses that were forced to shut down while everyone was forced to shop at Walmart and Amazon. 

Government does NOT care about the little people.

@Nathan G. I know you could sense my dripping sarcasm and you are right, it isn't a laughing matter but its how I deal with things out of my control. You can agree here are worse ways people could channel their frustrations with the government overreach. Like most things government, the intention may be well placed but the consequences are short sighted. And the rich are just doing what they always do by taking advantage of a situation to enrich themselves. Its the golden rule: he who has the gold makes the rules.

Originally posted by @Nathan G. :
Originally posted by @Peter M.:

The reality is, they are killing off mom-and-pop investors, which means the large corporations will just continue to grow. What happens when renters have no choice but to rent from one of a few national companies? Government did the same thing with brick-and-mortar businesses that were forced to shut down while everyone was forced to shop at Walmart and Amazon. 

Government does NOT care about the little people.

This 1 million percent - the government works for the banks. There is a lot on this forum which is really naive. What they are doing is crystal clear and should be no surprise to anyone who is even the slightest bit informed about what actually happens.

This is just like 2009 where the policy is quite clearly:

Cause the little guy, be they renter or property owner, to lose their assets and financial control of their lives to the BANKS via bankruptcy / default / unpayable debt / credit rating disaster. What happens? Corporate landlords and REITs get assets for pennies on the dollar from everyone who loses out on the scam becomes another member of the sharecropper class - indentured to the banks under heavy debt with a landlord that in not an actual person.

The current incarnation of the 'upward transfer of wealth' game they play without relent no matter who is in office, is to pit property owner against tenants so they both lose. Tenant can't / won't / doesn't pay for a long time, accrues a debt they will never pay, gets evicted (eventually) with a large judgement, credit rating in the toilet, pays exorbitant interest rates, higher rent, larger deposit, can't borrow to buy a house ... Landlord goes through the same mill only they get to start at losing their property and life savings via foreclosure before completing the rest of the steps.

Its the same game they play when you get sick. "You got sick - awww too bad, we are going to have to drain all your assets - sorry (not sorry)"

I know a guy who was told in 2008, "Don't pay - you'll get relief" then all he got was foreclosure. OneWest Bank (guess who) got his house for 30 cents on the dollar and then sold it - 70% profit for doing nothing.

We are all being scammed.

I am in Fairfax County, VA and we have a landlord assistance program but the requirement is that the tenant has to sign a form and submit pay stubs. I don't know how any tenant who has not been paying rent would help out a landlord to get funds. For example, my tenant has not paid rent in the past 3 months and has refused to answer calls, texts or emails and has not followed any of the notices we have posted on her front door.

I just filed an eviction last week with no trouble. I just had to fill out an additional form stating that I didn't have a Fannie or Freddie loan and wasn't receding any federal aid like section 8 on the property. 

Red State:)

@Nathan G.

That’s exactly right. The end result of all these obstacles and regulations will be consolidation and regulatory capture by the very big players that have enough money and direct political influence to work around this nonsense and stay profitable. Endgame is more mom and pop’s are driven out of the rental business and renters will be paying more for less.

@Joe Splitrock @Nathan G. if you thought this circus act was the whole show..... CDC just released an "official" report of findings on the source of the covid-19 virus. Best part, lol, it's a "joint venture" study with China, give ya 1 guess who it says ISNT at fault in any way shape or form..... It's a great read, it really clarifies things that officially, it probably came from a bat, to something else, to a person, somewhere, most DEFINENTLY not a leak from a lab in China (I kid you not, it actually says that). 

Have any of you seen the movie Idiocracy? You know, where Terry Crews is "President Komacho". Why do I feel like it's coming true......... 

I was under the impression that a federal judge found the CDC's eviction moratorium unconstitutional and issued an order preventing its enforcement. What gives?

Is our government openly flouting a judge's order? This eviction moratorium may not be enforced, yet it is extended.

It sure seems like the rule of law and the constitution our republic was founded upon are constantly ignored by our political leaders. Banana republic anyone?

As a patriot and a believer that our government is by our consent, I'm a bit sick to my stomach.

Three federal judges declared it unconstitutional, however The US Supreme Court has not ruled on it, so it remains in place.  Also, because it takes 6+ months for the Supreme Court to put something on their docket and this is supposed to expire in June (even though it will most likely run past), it will never see the light of day there.  Unfortunately, our government has found a loophole to keep this on the books.