Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
What to do when Tenant is arrested?

Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorPosted Apr 15 2021, 05:51

I'm curious how others would handle this situation.

Two renters with multiple children were arrested for abusing a child. The child died a few days later and they are both facing murder charges and will never come back to the apartment. 

When something like this happens, what do you do with their stuff? The law instructs me on when to declare it "abandoned" and then I can deal with it a variety of ways. But I don't want to make $50 selling someone's couch because it's incredibly time-consuming and just feels wrong. I would rather have family or friends remove everything so I can just focus on turning the rental around and getting it rented.

I know some of their friends/family, but I didn't want to end up in the middle of a legal fight if the wrong person took the wrong thing and then I get blamed for giving them access. I drew up a pretty basic letter (no attorney involved) explaining their unit is essentially considered abandoned, but that I don't want to protect their stuff. I asked them to provide me with names and contact information of people they authorize to remove their belongings and any special instructions. Some example problems:

• They are unmarried so the male's friend shouldn't be picking up the female's items;
  • They both have cars that are paid for; I don't want his friend taking her car when it should go to her family members;
  • Items belonging to the deceased child might be going to that child's birth mother that lives in another state.

I reached out to their named contacts to ensure everyone could play nicely. Again, I personally know a couple people on each side of this and they are all good people willing to work with each other to make this happen amicably. I'm providing them access in the next few days to empty the apartment. Anything left behind will be handled using the security deposit, which is sufficient for that and turnover costs.

How did I do? Is there anything else you can think of that I should have done, or done differently? 

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

Loading replies...