Does this info I found on Facebook legitimately matter?

Does this info I found on Facebook legitimately matter?

Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 99 votes

I'm in the process of finding new tenants for one of our houses, and I've pretty much got it narrowed down to this single mom and her 3 kids.  But, there's just one thing bothering me, and I wanted to reach out to you guys to see if this is ACTUALLY a problem, and if I need to do anything about it.  When she came to see the house, she brought her "brother" with her, at least that's who they said he was.  He had a child, and she had her 3 children.  No problem at all.  I liked them all.  But then, I looked her up on Facebook, as I do with all potential applicants, and it actually said that she was "in a relationship" with him.  And he's not her brother.  I know this is her personal business, but I don't feel good about starting things off with what seems to be a lie.  Is there some reason to even lie about this, that I'm not thinking of?  I'm just confused, and I hate any red flags (obviously).  Should I ask her?  Or is that overstepping?  Was I even allowed to look on FB? Should I just let it go, and continue on with her credit/background check?  It seems that the only potential problem is if he moves in, and he's not on the lease, and I didn't credit check him.  But, why the lie???  Any thoughts you have are MUCH appreciated.  Thanks!!

11Reply
245 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

The reason she said it was her brother is it isn’t as likely that you would be concerned with him moving in as you would her boyfriend and wouldn’t raise a red flag.  I can almost guarantee he has evictions, some type of criminal record, or horrible credit, maybe even the trifecta.  He is going to be moving in that’s why he wanted to see it and of course you liked them they were on their best behavior.  People don’t lie unless they have reason to move on, I Facebook stalk every potential renter and it often changes my mind.  People are dumb in what they post I’ve seen drug use smokers saying they don’t smoke with pictures of it in the house and seen series of posts that make me wonder if they are even stable.  Trust your gut and keep moving.  

See this reply in the discussion

72 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Matthew CrivelliBusiness Member
    Lender · MA · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    If you met him and you're okay with him moving in then I don't see why you need to pry. If she lied because she's trying to pull a fast one and have her boyfriend live there with out your consent. Well that's a different story and if I were you I would move on because that could be the tip of the iceberg. 

    Freedom Capital Funding, LLC523 Reviews
  • Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 99 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Crivelli  I for sure liked him, and wouldn't mind him moving in.  BUT, if there's another adult in there, I just have to check his credit first.  So, that's my dilemma. :/

  • Matthew CrivelliBusiness Member
    Lender · MA · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini Defiantly do your due diligence and check his credit and background. That is such a strange thing to lie like that. It doesn't make sense.

    Freedom Capital Funding, LLC523 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    The reason she said it was her brother is it isn’t as likely that you would be concerned with him moving in as you would her boyfriend and wouldn’t raise a red flag.  I can almost guarantee he has evictions, some type of criminal record, or horrible credit, maybe even the trifecta.  He is going to be moving in that’s why he wanted to see it and of course you liked them they were on their best behavior.  People don’t lie unless they have reason to move on, I Facebook stalk every potential renter and it often changes my mind.  People are dumb in what they post I’ve seen drug use smokers saying they don’t smoke with pictures of it in the house and seen series of posts that make me wonder if they are even stable.  Trust your gut and keep moving.  

  • Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 99 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Crivelli Yes, I thought it was a strange thing to lie about, as well!  Have any ideas on how I would word it to her?  I don't want to look like I was prying, or that I don't trust her...ugh

  • Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 99 votes
    5y

    @Adam Martin thanks!  I'm glad to know I'm not the only one looking on FB!  I am truly shocked by some of the FB profiles I've seen from people inquiring about the property.  Do you think I should go ahead and just ask her?  But again, I don't like that there was a lie right off the bat.  Ugh!!!!

  • Matthew CrivelliBusiness Member
    Lender · MA · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini

    I would straight up ask her about it. You don't want to set a precedence that you're easily fooled or weak. I would take this head on. (As nicely as possible of course)

    Freedom Capital Funding, LLC523 Reviews
  • Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 99 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Crivelli  Yup, my thoughts exactly.  Eek.  I hate stuff like this.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I avoid conflict on things like this as I have made up my mind and whatever they say isn’t goin  to change it.  It’s not that I am afraid of conflict I just have better things to do.  The market is hot and you will find someone else.  When you do text all applicants and thank them for their time but let them know you went with another qualified applicant.  That’s usually all it takes but afterwards I am a ghost.  Anything you say can be used against you so I am under the mindset less is more.  I don’t get into arguments and I don’t deal with liars.  While I’m sure this causes me to screen out some qualified tenants I have several applicants and don’t care.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Auburn, ME · Member since 2015 · 236 posts · 140 votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini I would just ask her straight up, treat your business like a business. You are not the one who should be concerned about how they might feel when asked to verify information on their application. You could start by asking her to verify how many would be living in the home with her, adults and children. 

    @Adam Martin could be correct and there is something that the "brother's" check would turn up. 

  • Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 99 votes
    5y

    @Adam Martin that's really solid advice.  Makes a lot of sense.  I do always fear that something could be used against me.  Thank you!

  • Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 99 votes
    5y

    @Carl Hebert good idea, verifying how many would be living there.  I have a problem with being overly concerned.  My biggest downfall as a landlord :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Natick, MA · Member since 2015 · 128 posts · 188 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Crivelli:

    @Kelly Bellini

    I would straight up ask her about it. You don't want to set a precedence that you're easily fooled or weak. I would take this head on. (As nicely as possible of course)

    Meh... I'm not sure why you'd do this other than trying to prove to the applicant that you're smart or whatever. Why would you try to prove yourself to this person other than to stroke your ego? She could flat out deny that the man in question was with her that day, Kelly just needs to get her eyes checked. Arguing for the sake of arguing is petty and is just giving the applicant a reason to argue back. 

    If it were me I'd reject her as vaguely as possible, and if pressed for additional information say that something came up in the background check that disqualified the applicant.

  • Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 99 votes
    5y

    @Shawn L. thank you!  I suppose the only reason I was thinking of asking her straight-up is to give her a chance.  The whole thing is making me second guess myself (maybe I heard her wrong???  Granted, she mentioned "brother" twice, so I think I didn't mis-hear).  I like the idea of being vague though.

  • Rental Property Investor · Natick, MA · Member since 2015 · 128 posts · 188 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Kelly Bellini:

    @Shawn L. thank you!  I suppose the only reason I was thinking of asking her straight-up is to give her a chance.  The whole thing is making me second guess myself (maybe I heard her wrong???  Granted, she mentioned "brother" twice, so I think I didn't mis-hear).  I like the idea of being vague though.

    If you really want to give her a chance then yes you should directly ask however this would be a red flag to me and would disqualify the applicant.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    5y

    Cant it be both her brother and her being in a relationship with him?

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 562 posts · 554 votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini

    You don’t owe any explanations. Just move on to the next application with a better credit score or whatever, and tell her that you selected another tenant.

    I like to be specifically vague.

  • Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 99 votes
    5y

    @Account Closed Ha! Specifically vague.  I love it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Spokane, WA · Member since 2018 · 64 posts · 59 votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini. It's what I like about Facebook Marketplace over other rental platforms. I also look at prospect files and to me it's all legit and all public to the extent they enabled their privacy settings. Go with your instincts.

  • Rental Property Investor · Spokane, WA · Member since 2018 · 64 posts · 59 votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini. You dont have to explain. Move on and tell her you chose a different candidate.

  • Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 99 votes
    5y

    @Roy Nash thank you!  Good point about FB marketplace.  

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    Deny her, she lied on her application.  There is no reason to say this is her brother if it is not except to deceive you.   She could have said friend, boyfriend, fiancee.  Is she hiding it because she plans to move him in later and he has a bad record? Doesn't matter.   It's not innocent like two best friends asking to move in and referring to each other as brothers, I don't fault someone for that, this was purposeful misdirection.  I suspect for a latter move in request or her brother.

  • Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 99 votes
    5y

    @Colleen F. thank you! I’ve been wracking my brain trying to figure out why on earth she’d lie about it. It can’t be for a GOOD reason, can it? Unlikely. Does not sit well with me one bit. 

  • Investor · Huntington, WV · Member since 2021 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini FB is the modern “look in their car and see how they keep it” trick. If it is a public account, it is up for grabs.

    I believe I would ask right out if there is a chance of him moving in whether he is the brother or boyfriend. I’m asking, just say “if there is a chance that he or any other adult moves in with you, they will need to do an application as well “ That way you have addressed it in general.

    If you like them and she checks out; move her in a get your May rent. Good luck.

    John

  • Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 99 votes
    5y

    @John B. Waugaman Jr. thank you! I like that wording. Very clever. It’s basically between her (and she can move in June 3, which is what I need), and a super stable military family that can move in July 1. So I’m thinking it might be worth it to forego 1 month of rent to not have a potential headache down the road :/

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.