Does this info I found on Facebook legitimately matter?

Does this info I found on Facebook legitimately matter?

Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 99 votes

I'm in the process of finding new tenants for one of our houses, and I've pretty much got it narrowed down to this single mom and her 3 kids.  But, there's just one thing bothering me, and I wanted to reach out to you guys to see if this is ACTUALLY a problem, and if I need to do anything about it.  When she came to see the house, she brought her "brother" with her, at least that's who they said he was.  He had a child, and she had her 3 children.  No problem at all.  I liked them all.  But then, I looked her up on Facebook, as I do with all potential applicants, and it actually said that she was "in a relationship" with him.  And he's not her brother.  I know this is her personal business, but I don't feel good about starting things off with what seems to be a lie.  Is there some reason to even lie about this, that I'm not thinking of?  I'm just confused, and I hate any red flags (obviously).  Should I ask her?  Or is that overstepping?  Was I even allowed to look on FB? Should I just let it go, and continue on with her credit/background check?  It seems that the only potential problem is if he moves in, and he's not on the lease, and I didn't credit check him.  But, why the lie???  Any thoughts you have are MUCH appreciated.  Thanks!!

11Reply
256 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

The reason she said it was her brother is it isn’t as likely that you would be concerned with him moving in as you would her boyfriend and wouldn’t raise a red flag.  I can almost guarantee he has evictions, some type of criminal record, or horrible credit, maybe even the trifecta.  He is going to be moving in that’s why he wanted to see it and of course you liked them they were on their best behavior.  People don’t lie unless they have reason to move on, I Facebook stalk every potential renter and it often changes my mind.  People are dumb in what they post I’ve seen drug use smokers saying they don’t smoke with pictures of it in the house and seen series of posts that make me wonder if they are even stable.  Trust your gut and keep moving.  

See this reply in the discussion

72 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini I would think his credit is probably the problem.

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Like several other posters I always check applicants facebook sites.  The things people post on there!!!  What are they thinking???? 

    She's posted the truth on facebook.  Why would you consider renting to this liar?  Doesn't matter she's a single woman with three children; you're a landlord not her social worker.  Move on and find a better applicant.

    I don't mean to sound cranky here.  I've been in your shoes before.  The weepy, begging tales and the lies I've heard!  All this has just made me a cranky old landlord...

  • Member since 2018 · 64 posts · 45 votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini

    It is a red flag, hate it or not.

    If you ignore it now, you will have to deal with it later.

    Hopefully we won't see a post about that later.

  • Developer · Brooklyn NY · Member since 2019 · 68 posts · 91 votes
    5y

    I wouldn't ask her about it, just move to the next applicant, luckily you realized she wasn't being truthful before any paperwork was signed.

    This is someone you are going to have to engage with regularly for at least a year, no matter how the conversation goes, there will be some level of ongoing animosity on both sides, not worth it, good luck!

  • Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 99 votes
    5y

    Thanks everyone for all the input.  You pretty much confirmed what my instincts were telling me.  I'm turning her down.  And it turns out, we've got a late contender who's proving to be squeaky clean--so glad!

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini I have done this many years and there are two things I have learned:

    1. Only trust your instincts if it is telling you something is wrong. The best con men in the world are extremely likable and they succeed only because people have a "good feeling about them". Most serial killers were considered nice guys by everyone who met them. 

    2. When you catch someone in a lie, don't waste even a minute trying to figure out why they are lying. People only lie to cover up problems. I used to waste time and energy trying to figure out why they were lying, but every time it just ended in a reason to deny them. Even if there is an innocent explanation, the fact that they lied is enough reason to deny.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y
  • Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 99 votes
    5y

    @Joe Splitrock  Ha!!!  Thank you for the laugh with that meme!  And I think you've summed it all up perfectly!

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 612 posts · 523 votes
    5y

    Well, it sounds like you have your decision, but I'll throw in a few cents of my own.

    I have had prospective tenants tell me up front of their troubles (credit issues, etc), wanting to be upfront and honest. To me, it showed a lot of character, responsibility and understanding for them to be upfront. I immensely appreciated their honesty and, after checking them out, I ended up renting to them. They turned out to be good tenants for many years.

    I would be extremely suspect of anyone, who feels they need to start off a relationship with a lie. Remember, you are basically "hiring" someone to take care of your expensive asset. And, as someone said before, you should have a specific set of standards of qualifications for who you choose as tenants, that way you can cover yourself, if anyone complains that you discriminated against them, in the future. In other words, you can keep a file on all prospective tenants and why they were not approved, etc. You don't want to violate any fair housing laws and familial status is a fair housing issue. But, lying/misrepresenting, etc, is not.

    Also, you may know this, but it is more important to check out their previous landlord references, much more than their current one. The current landlord may say anything to get rid of a current bad tenant, but a previous landlord has nothing to lose by stating the truth. Many years ago, I had a "seemingly" great prospective tenant, with a college aged daughter, apply for a rental. She sounded great, very nice, qualified, etc. But, when I checked with her previous landlord, they mentioned that although, she was a great tenant, (kept the house up nicely, planted flowers in the yard, etc), when it came to paying rent, she thought it was more important to pay for her daughter's schooling, then to pay her rent. 

    While, I agree, that is important, I could not be the one to support her daughter's education, by giving her free rent! So, I fortunately, avoided any potential problem, by not renting to them.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini

    Integrity is the #1 most important trait in any relationship, especially a financial one. This is your investment.

    I can’t remember his name but a Landlord “guru” once said it best:

    “Your rental is not an asset. It doesn’t produce money. It deteriorates, costs insurance and taxes. Your TENANT is the asset. Hire them like you would an employee - their job is to maintain the property, pay the rent on time, and keep you up to date to the condition of it at all times.”

    I wouldn’t hire an employee who lied to my face. A small lie means they’re fine making a big lie to you if it means it will cost them money.

    My 2 cents.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Forsure hard pass. Any signs of a bad tenant early on usually only get worse. 

  • Pascagoula MS · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Matthew Crivelli I'm with Matthew.

  • Member since 2021 · 237 posts · 153 votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini

    Day one she is lying to you. Ask yourself “why?” Declined.

  • Rental Property Investor · Corvallis, OR · Member since 2018 · 840 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini from experience this tells me that the boyfriend has bad credit or has a criminal background. Hate to be negative but I have been in the game a while and seen about all of it. Trust, but verify. Why take chances in a relationship based on a lie up front. Some here would clearly disagree but I have invested too much over the years to take chances on people who are hiding their past. The leopard never seems to change their spots.

  • Rental Property Investor · Corvallis, OR · Member since 2018 · 840 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini treat people with respect until they prove themselves unworthy. Prospects go dark on me all the time when it best serves them. AKA. Protect yourself and I have brought up facts via FB all the time. They go speechless!

  • Rental Property Investor · Corvallis, OR · Member since 2018 · 840 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Adam Martin exactly. Some things are not up for debate. When someone says they dont smoke or have pets but their FB profile shows their bong and two pitbulls not much to talk about.

  • Wholesaler · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 84 posts · 83 votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini that’s a no for me. Deception out of the gates... I’d decline and not look back.

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini they were trying to cover up the fact that he will be living there, obviously, maybe they think you will think 4 kids and 2 adults are too many people in the house. OR, he didn’t want any background checks done on him. Sounds sketchy to me and I would not ignore it. I have had renters, and this would be a red flag for me.

  • Real Estate Agent · North Jersey · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 29 votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini I have a term in my lease that says:

    NEW TENANTS: Any guest who occupies the property for more than 10 consecutive days shall be considered a new tenant. All new tenants must fill out a rental application and have their name added to the lease. The landlord has the right to reject new tenants if he or she has any criminal history. A newborn or adopted child shall not be deemed an additional tenant.

    BUT... the real question is why wouldn’t she be straightforward from the start? My guess would be cause her BF has something to hide. Or maybe she’s worried you won’t lease to her for some silly reason. I’d be direct and say look... I like you and I want to lease to you but I saw on Facebook that the man you were with is your boyfriend. If he’ll be living here too that’s no problem but I’d prefer to run both your credit/background check and have both names on the lease this way we dont have to do this later if and when he moves in. Cause here’s this term I put on all my leases that would make us go through this whole thing all over again anyway, just trying to save us both time, etc.

    I’ve also had people not want to put their significant other on the lease cause they move in and break up or leave them and this apartment is their new chapter. So I’d just talk to her compassionately and honestly to get answers.

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini Liars lie to get what they want. I had a tenant lie saying she was co-applying with her fiancé and then he did not move in. Her finances were good so I signed the lease...it was on move in day that she sprung it on me. Said he decided to live with his brother to help said brother. Hindsight, yeah, right. Next she moves daughter, baby and baby daddy in without saying a word. And a puppy! Turned into a screaming witch but we sent fix or quit notice and made the puppy go. Did not renew lease so the vacancy was kicked down the road a year later. Should have taken vacancy up front. Very pretty female turned super scary witch...not the only run-in we had with her. so glad she is gone.

  • Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Kelly Bellini We had a situation where we found something about the tenant (as part of the process) and through public records. We asked her in about it and she was very open about her situation. Which, we appreciated and we signed the contract. Your process is correct and hope this works out for you. Good luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.