Landlord wants application via Zillow prior to viewing?

Landlord wants application via Zillow prior to viewing?

Laguna Niguel, CA · Member since 2017 · 125 posts · 7 votes

Hi all,

There's a home I'm interested in renting that I saw on Zillow and reached out to the landlord. She is saying that she needs for me to apply via Zillow (there's a $29 universal credit/background check that can apply towards other rental applications for the next 30 days) *PRIOR* to viewing the house... not sure if due to COVID or just wanting to screen out a bunch of people for a smaller pool of more serious potential tenants. 

Is this pretty 'standard' practice and ok to oblige to (no red/yellow flags)? 

0
Topic locked
405 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
5y

Id never pay to view a property. 

7
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I used to think the same as you 


    no that I am the house/apt owner I do the same 


    no point showing a house to someone who can’t qualify.  Too many qualified people who are willing to do this to worry about who are not 

    5
    Topic locked
  • Laguna Niguel, CA · Member since 2017 · 125 posts · 7 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Michael Plante:

    I used to think the same as you 


    no that I am the house/apt owner I do the same 


    no point showing a house to someone who can’t qualify.  Too many qualified people who are willing to do this to worry about who are not 

     Thanks for confirming. I had a hunch but I haven't rented from a private landlord before (only apartments and leasing offices) so it makes sense. And I'd probably do the same thinking about it haha. I think especially in today's market, where even rentals are a scarcity (at least where I am), there's not much else you can do if the landlord's asking for it beforehand.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    5y

    Id never pay to view a property. 

    7
    Topic locked
  • Laguna Niguel, CA · Member since 2017 · 125 posts · 7 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Id never pay to view a property. 

     This is via Zillow and for a background/credit check. The actual application part doesn't cost which is good. Seems some landlords are offshoring/outsourcing this part via Zillow. Obviously, it's more convenient for private landlords. While I tend to share the sentiment that I would never pay, I would probably do the same if I were a private landlord AND there was a scarcity of rentals in my area (if the rental market were saturated, I would never go this route as it would be a complete turn-off and renters can easily just move on to the next property). 


    In this case, rental inventory is very low, so there's not many choices. And, as a renter in a market like mine, you can't really say "I'll just wait for the next one" since time is against you. Just my 2cents.

    EDIT: I ended up paying the $29 to have the background/credit check run. It's good for 30 days so I figure, if anything, I can leverage to apply for other places if this one falls through as well as grab a copy of the reports for personal reference etc 

    0
    Topic locked
  • Property Manager · Meridian, ID · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Jeremy Lee

    It is pretty standard when a tenant still resides in a home to only show it to qualified applicants. There is however a huge “if”.

    It doesn’t take a lot for someone to claim a property on Zillow as theirs. The information needed is typically public. Before filling out the online application, do your homework and see if it is listed on any other websites or with a property manager.

    The identity theft can be a major concern when utilizing some of these “do it yourself” online packages some utilize on Zillow.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    There are valid reasons for a landlord to do this.  PLEASE CONSIDER:

    As a rental house owner and landlord,  I use the Zillow app as "Pre-screening" for property tours. If after touring, a prospect wishes to proceed, a full in-house application & background check process is required, with basic fees pre-disclosed.   All this is outline in my Zillow listing

     I began accepting zillow apps for screening during Pandemic for exposure concerns and when everything was being done electronically, interviews were video conferences, & final tours required gloves/masks/sanitizer.

    I believe it creates a win-win with my prospective tenant.  The $30 fee is paid to Zillow (not to me), and the applicant can use thatone fee to apply to unlimited properties on zillow for a 30-day period.

    As a landlord, all I see is that your identity has been verified by zillow. (NO SSN or DOB shared.) Other "applicant" information is completely applicant supplied, random, non-verified.  I cannot customize the app to get the information I need to do a full screening.

    In the credit report by Experian, we can see Experian Credit Score, current balance & payment history (# of on-time & late payments in last 25 months) on open accounts & closed accounts, any items in collection, any previous official addresses.

    "Background Check Report" is a name-match report of criminal convictions, if any are found in participating municipalities. Landlord history indicates whether eviction filings with name match were found within participating states/municipalities with electronic records linked in public information sharing system. The is a disclaimer saying to check deeper if an issue is found to verify it is actually the same person.

    Zillow app does not provide previous landlord history, employment & income verification or background checks by city/county/state of applicants' previous residence or employment.  Credit report is minimal...does not show payment patterns the way other services show, so it is not possible to evaluate unique situations.

    For example an Experian report showing over the past 25 months, an open account shows 15 on time payments and 6 late payments.  With only this information, I might assume payments were random and indicates candidate might be just as random paying rent on time.  If looking at Transunion report, I can see 15 on-time payments in a row, followed by 6 late payments that coincide with a job loss, & due to creditor's policy, they continue reporting as late until account catches up.  Tenant could lhave missed 1 payment, paid the rest on schedule, but didnt' repay the single missed month, never realizing how it has affected his credit record. The more in-depth report helps me understand the long term patterns and better evaluate the risk instead of outright rejection because of specific "Score" requirement.

    A background check report indicating "NO EVICTION FOUND"  does not guarantee a responsible tenant either.  Big companies may be linked to reporting agencies, but individual landlordsmight not be connected. Further I have seen public records onapplicants whose report said no evictions found, but public court records showed 11 court actions within the past 13 months for  "warrant in debt" or "unlawful detainer", but no convictions because tenant paid before the court date.  Landlord still had the expense and lost time to file with courts, the financial and business instability and more than a year of stress related to the slow-pay tenant. That applicant had also fraudulently provided a relative's name and phone number to pose as previous tenant in case someone actually called for references.  Simple free search in my states court case information system saved me years of headaches.

    Another consideration is the value of time.  I work hard to make my houses like new for each new tenant...not the typical rental situation.  This is not my full time job, but an addition to FT work and family life.

    When listing a house I get a minimum of 20-30 tour requests per day, plus phone calls and street sign drive-by calls. The information on zillow app and ability to see preliminary credit report narrows the tours to only qualified potential applicants, and I know at least some information about them, which is  especially helpful for my personal safety as a woman showing property to "strangers".

    Prior to using zillow app to pre-screen, I lost SO much time touring ineligible or underqualified applicants & people who grossly misrepresented their situation. More than 60% of scheduled  were "no-show/no-call".

    Some were ineligeble for the house  requirements No Pets, No Smoking, maximum occupancy or income level  parameters in listings. Often after touring & asking questions for 30 minutes, they would then describe their "perfect 12year old 75 pound bulldog" & ask for exception...complete waste of 30 minutes travel, gas, 30 minutes opening blinds/turning on lights & reverse at end, plus tour time. (Listing & showing a Rental House is not like an apartment with full time staff & onsite rental office.)

    I always let the applicant know the qaulification parameters up front.   They should know whether they are a fit.  I have even credited the app fee paid to zillow to reduce my in-house application fees for special situations.  I try to create Win-Win whenever possible.

    5
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Katherine Thompson:

    There are valid reasons for a landlord to do this.  PLEASE CONSIDER:

    As a rental house owner and landlord,  I use the Zillow app as "Pre-screening" for property tours. If after touring, a prospect wishes to proceed, a full in-house application & background check process is required, with basic fees pre-disclosed.   All this is outline in my Zillow listing

     I began accepting zillow apps for screening during Pandemic for exposure concerns and when everything was being done electronically, interviews were video conferences, & final tours required gloves/masks/sanitizer.

    I believe it creates a win-win with my prospective tenant.  The $30 fee is paid to Zillow (not to me), and the applicant can use thatone fee to apply to unlimited properties on zillow for a 30-day period.

    As a landlord, all I see is that your identity has been verified by zillow. (NO SSN or DOB shared.) Other "applicant" information is completely applicant supplied, random, non-verified.  I cannot customize the app to get the information I need to do a full screening.

    In the credit report by Experian, we can see Experian Credit Score, current balance & payment history (# of on-time & late payments in last 25 months) on open accounts & closed accounts, any items in collection, any previous official addresses.

    "Background Check Report" is a name-match report of criminal convictions, if any are found in participating municipalities. Landlord history indicates whether eviction filings with name match were found within participating states/municipalities with electronic records linked in public information sharing system. The is a disclaimer saying to check deeper if an issue is found to verify it is actually the same person.

    Zillow app does not provide previous landlord history, employment & income verification or background checks by city/county/state of applicants' previous residence or employment.  Credit report is minimal...does not show payment patterns the way other services show, so it is not possible to evaluate unique situations.

    For example an Experian report showing over the past 25 months, an open account shows 15 on time payments and 6 late payments.  With only this information, I might assume payments were random and indicates candidate might be just as random paying rent on time.  If looking at Transunion report, I can see 15 on-time payments in a row, followed by 6 late payments that coincide with a job loss, & due to creditor's policy, they continue reporting as late until account catches up.  Tenant could lhave missed 1 payment, paid the rest on schedule, but didnt' repay the single missed month, never realizing how it has affected his credit record. The more in-depth report helps me understand the long term patterns and better evaluate the risk instead of outright rejection because of specific "Score" requirement.

    A background check report indicating "NO EVICTION FOUND"  does not guarantee a responsible tenant either.  Big companies may be linked to reporting agencies, but individual landlordsmight not be connected. Further I have seen public records onapplicants whose report said no evictions found, but public court records showed 11 court actions within the past 13 months for  "warrant in debt" or "unlawful detainer", but no convictions because tenant paid before the court date.  Landlord still had the expense and lost time to file with courts, the financial and business instability and more than a year of stress related to the slow-pay tenant. That applicant had also fraudulently provided a relative's name and phone number to pose as previous tenant in case someone actually called for references.  Simple free search in my states court case information system saved me years of headaches.

    Another consideration is the value of time.  I work hard to make my houses like new for each new tenant...not the typical rental situation.  This is not my full time job, but an addition to FT work and family life.

    When listing a house I get a minimum of 20-30 tour requests per day, plus phone calls and street sign drive-by calls. The information on zillow app and ability to see preliminary credit report narrows the tours to only qualified potential applicants, and I know at least some information about them, which is  especially helpful for my personal safety as a woman showing property to "strangers".

    Prior to using zillow app to pre-screen, I lost SO much time touring ineligible or underqualified applicants & people who grossly misrepresented their situation. More than 60% of scheduled  were "no-show/no-call".

    Some were ineligeble for the house  requirements No Pets, No Smoking, maximum occupancy or income level  parameters in listings. Often after touring & asking questions for 30 minutes, they would then describe their "perfect 12year old 75 pound bulldog" & ask for exception...complete waste of 30 minutes travel, gas, 30 minutes opening blinds/turning on lights & reverse at end, plus tour time. (Listing & showing a Rental House is not like an apartment with full time staff & onsite rental office.)

    I always let the applicant know the qaulification parameters up front.   They should know whether they are a fit.  I have even credited the app fee paid to zillow to reduce my in-house application fees for special situations.  I try to create Win-Win whenever possible.


     I was very concerned as a renter about applying for a place 'sight unseen', but you have explained it well.  Thank you for this information it was very helpful.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    I'm not a fan and think it's a terrible practice.

    It's nice that the Zillow app can be applied for up to a month, but what if the Tenant finds a rental on REALTOR.com or on a property manager's website? Then the Zillow application is useless. It only works for properties listed on Zillow.

    I would never pay to be screened before looking at a house. You may think it's clever, but I can assure you there are a lot of qualified applicants not looking at your rental.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
    4
    Topic locked
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Jeremy Lee  I wouldn't ask someone to do this but I see why some people do and if this is a great fit for you as a tenant I would do it. I don't think a zillow app is sufficient. Many landlord non-payments never go to judgement so they don't appear on a credit report. 

    @Cassandra Swanson  so given you accept the zillow app for screening (and I appreciate the summary)  is that the check that you ultimately accept for credit or do you charge again for something you do personally?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Colleen F.:

    @Jeremy Lee  I wouldn't ask someone to do this but I see why some people do and if this is a great fit for you as a tenant I would do it. I don't think a zillow app is sufficient. Many landlord non-payments never go to judgement so they don't appear on a credit report. 

    @Cassandra Swanson  so given you accept the zillow app for screening (and I appreciate the summary)  is that the check that you ultimately accept for credit or do you charge again for something you do personally?


     @Colleen  F. 

    I outline clearly  in my description  that additional  screening  is necessary,

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Katherine Thompson:
    Quote from @Colleen F.:

    @Jeremy Lee  I wouldn't ask someone to do this but I see why some people do and if this is a great fit for you as a tenant I would do it. I don't think a zillow app is sufficient. Many landlord non-payments never go to judgement so they don't appear on a credit report. 

    @Cassandra Swanson  so given you accept the zillow app for screening (and I appreciate the summary)  is that the check that you ultimately accept for credit or do you charge again for something you do personally?


     @Colleen  F. 

    I outline clearly  in my description  that additional  screening  is necessary,

    I also outline fees ($50 per FRP- Financially  Responsible  Person  &  $25 per non-FRP Occupant) that go to the screening  service. 

    My screening  requirements  are outlined in listing, so any person  who actually reads it should  know  if they meet the requirements  before deciding  whether  to apply. 

    I do not charge administrative/processing fees to cover my time or expenses as the apartment complexes & property management compa in my area seem to be doing as standard practice for both applications and lease renewal ($75-$150!! In addition to application fee!)
    The address is listed, and an address  search  in county records will show ownership is legitimate.

    Additionally, after touring, should a prospect  move forward with our full in-house application,  we will only process one application at a time in order of receipt.  Applicant knows where they are in line and should someone  ahead of them be approved & sign lease, both their application  & fee are returned. GOLDEN RULE LANDLORD principles mean I would not take money from multiple  parties,  process all & pick my favorite,  & have all others lose thier money on a hopeless application.  At least with the zillow pre-screening, they may be able  to apply their fee to multiple other properties. 

    While there may be hucksters listing fake houses, my experience  is that the applicants  are more likely  to be the fakes.  The past 15 applications I received were submitted  under false pretenses by people currently being evicted, who have applied under an alias, provided fake pay stubs from non-existent businesses, at least 5 with multiple convictions  for  combinations  of assault & battery, arson, failure to return a rental property, and felony vandalism of rental...

    And I am supposed to meet these  (and any other requestor) at my property with absolutely no idea who they are or whether they are a qualified  applicant? 

    As an individual  who has invested 30 years of sweat equity, savings, & due dilligence into a high quality  beautiful  home, I stand by my right to protect  myself and my property. 


    A professional Realtor would not consider spending his valuable time driving a stranger around to view houses all weekend without a loan pre-qualification letter from a legitimate  bank.  How can a realtor condemn me for pre-screening my tenant prospects? Did his clients  not pay an application fee to the bank for that pre-qualification process?  How is this different?

    If a pre-screening requirement means fewer  people  consider my listing, so be it! 

    At least both the the property and I will have a better chance of still being here tomorrow, and available for a qualified applicant  who will appreciate and respect the level of quality I am providing  in a rental home!
    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    @Nathan Gesner

    As a professional Realtor, you would not consider spending your valuable time driving a stranger around to view houses all weekend without a loan pre-qualification letter from a legitimate bank...and you have no vested interest in the properties you are showing showing (other than your 3%-6% sales commission). 

    How can you as a  realtor condemn me for pre-screening my tenant prospects? 

    Do your clients not pay an application fee to the bank for that pre-qualification process? 

    How is this different?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    I'm not a fan and think it's a terrible practice.

    It's nice that the Zillow app can be applied for up to a month, but what if the Tenant finds a rental on REALTOR.com or on a property manager's website? Then the Zillow application is useless. It only works for properties listed on Zillow.

    I would never pay to be screened before looking at a house. You may think it's clever, but I can assure you there are a lot of qualified applicants not looking at your rental.


    0
    Topic locked
  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Katherine Thompson:

    @Nathan Gesner

    As a professional Realtor, you would not consider spending your valuable time driving a stranger around to view houses all weekend without a loan pre-qualification letter from a legitimate bank...and you have no vested interest in the properties you are showing showing (other than your 3%-6% sales commission). 

    How can you as a  realtor condemn me for pre-screening my tenant prospects? 

    Do your clients not pay an application fee to the bank for that pre-qualification process? 

    How is this different?


    I am also a realtor and no I have never had clients pay to have a lender do a pre-qualification at least not to my knowledge. Also, a pre-qual generall does NOT pull a credit report while a pre-approval does.

    Also, there are other ways to not waste time when showing a property. A pre-screening questionnaire would be free for potential tenants.

    I however go another route and just do open house showings. Anyone can come. This limits the communication necessary with potential tenants and ends up being MORE time efficient than individual showings to pre-qualified applicants.
    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    I'm not a fan and think it's a terrible practice.

    It's nice that the Zillow app can be applied for up to a month, but what if the Tenant finds a rental on REALTOR.com or on a property manager's website? Then the Zillow application is useless. It only works for properties listed on Zillow.

    I would never pay to be screened before looking at a house. You may think it's clever, but I can assure you there are a lot of qualified applicants not looking at your rental.

     As a broker, I doubt you would be in the position  of applying  for a rental property.  But if you were, refusing to "pay to view" is definitely  your right and choice.

    Times have changed, and practices must adjust to fit the times.  The 'Tour Request' I received a minutes few ago was from an individual  arrested and jailed for assault/battery  & brandishing a weapon in 2023.

    As moderator, you may want to consider how your responses can come across as a bit demeaning, possibly misogynistic.  and definitely biased.  

    30 years of experience  has taught me that no single method of property listing/advertising is perfect (even broker/property management  companies).

    Yes, I believe using Zillow  as a pre-screening tool IS clever. 

    I am also CLEVER enough to use additional  resources,  including the RENT.COM family of sites.  I offer the option of pre-screening through their service as well, if someone already  has an active application in their system. 

    Additionally, I am CARING enough to also refer families to seek realtors & brokers  who have property management services.  Many are not aware there are options other than zillow, trulia, rent.com, or whatever pops up at the top of the Google list on a given day. 

    Kindness & respect are valued aspects of professionalism. 
    0
    Topic locked
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Katherine Thompson:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    I'm not a fan and think it's a terrible practice.

    It's nice that the Zillow app can be applied for up to a month, but what if the Tenant finds a rental on REALTOR.com or on a property manager's website? Then the Zillow application is useless. It only works for properties listed on Zillow.

    I would never pay to be screened before looking at a house. You may think it's clever, but I can assure you there are a lot of qualified applicants not looking at your rental.

     As a broker, I doubt you would be in the position  of applying  for a rental property.  But if you were, refusing to "pay to view" is definitely  your right and choice.

    Times have changed, and practices must adjust to fit the times.  The 'Tour Request' I received a minutes few ago was from an individual  arrested and jailed for assault/battery  & brandishing a weapon in 2023.

    As moderator, you may want to consider how your responses can come across as a bit demeaning, possibly misogynistic.  and definitely biased.  

    30 years of experience  has taught me that no single method of property listing/advertising is perfect (even broker/property management  companies).

    Yes, I believe using Zillow  as a pre-screening tool IS clever. 

    I am also CLEVER enough to use additional  resources,  including the RENT.COM family of sites.  I offer the option of pre-screening through their service as well, if someone already  has an active application in their system. 

    Additionally, I am CARING enough to also refer families to seek realtors & brokers  who have property management services.  Many are not aware there are options other than zillow, trulia, rent.com, or whatever pops up at the top of the Google list on a given day. 

    Kindness & respect are valued aspects of professionalism. 

     What is exactly misogynistic here? You dont like his answer to the question so it's automatically misogynistic?

    1
    Topic locked
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Katherine Thompson

    I have never paid a bank to get a pre qualification ?

    7e investments53 Reviews
    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    @Katherine Thompson

    I have never paid a bank to get a pre qualification ?

    Most lenders charge an application  fee to apply for a loan... then they will supply a pre-approval letter. 

    If you have an excellent credit history, a good long-standing relationship  with your bank, or sufficient funds on hand, a lender may supply a letter without charge.   You are blessed to be in that minority....most first-time time home buyers would not get a letter on request  without  a full application process.
    0
    Topic locked
  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    This practice has become more common to streamline the leasing process, especially due to COVID-19 concerns. It's not unusual, but you should seek transparency about their screening criteria and how the application fee is handled if you're not selected. Review the lease agreement thoroughly before proceeding. While it's not a red flag, clear communication with the landlord would be wise in your situation.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:
    Quote from @Katherine Thompson:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    I'm not a fan and think it's a terrible practice.

    It's nice that the Zillow app can be applied for up to a month, but what if the Tenant finds a rental on REALTOR.com or on a property manager's website? Then the Zillow application is useless. It only works for properties listed on Zillow.

    I would never pay to be screened before looking at a house. You may think it's clever, but I can assure you there are a lot of qualified applicants not looking at your rental.

     As a broker, I doubt you would be in the position  of applying  for a rental property.  But if you were, refusing to "pay to view" is definitely  your right and choice.

    Times have changed, and practices must adjust to fit the times.  The 'Tour Request' I received a minutes few ago was from an individual  arrested and jailed for assault/battery  & brandishing a weapon in 2023.

    As moderator, you may want to consider how your responses can come across as a bit demeaning, possibly misogynistic.  and definitely biased.  

    30 years of experience  has taught me that no single method of property listing/advertising is perfect (even broker/property management  companies).

    Yes, I believe using Zillow  as a pre-screening tool IS clever. 

    I am also CLEVER enough to use additional  resources,  including the RENT.COM family of sites.  I offer the option of pre-screening through their service as well, if someone already  has an active application in their system. 

    Additionally, I am CARING enough to also refer families to seek realtors & brokers  who have property management services.  Many are not aware there are options other than zillow, trulia, rent.com, or whatever pops up at the top of the Google list on a given day. 

    Kindness & respect are valued aspects of professionalism. 

     What is exactly misogynistic here? You dont like his answer to the question so it's automatically misogynistic?

    I can agree to disagree  with his opinion.   

    The misogynistic  aspect is the derogatory  voice of "you may think you are clever, but..."; that wording is a blatant put-down and the equivalent  of calling one stupid.

    It is not necessary to be insulting in the way we address  others, no matter one's expertise or credentials.   

    Regardless of the method  used to advertise  or pre-screen, there will always be prospective  "high-quality tenants that are being 'missed'".

    There are positive and uplifting  ways to give additional marketing  suggestions  if the intent is to be helpful and informative as a credentialed expert. 
    0
    Topic locked
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Katherine Thompson:
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:
    Quote from @Katherine Thompson:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    I'm not a fan and think it's a terrible practice.

    It's nice that the Zillow app can be applied for up to a month, but what if the Tenant finds a rental on REALTOR.com or on a property manager's website? Then the Zillow application is useless. It only works for properties listed on Zillow.

    I would never pay to be screened before looking at a house. You may think it's clever, but I can assure you there are a lot of qualified applicants not looking at your rental.

     As a broker, I doubt you would be in the position  of applying  for a rental property.  But if you were, refusing to "pay to view" is definitely  your right and choice.

    Times have changed, and practices must adjust to fit the times.  The 'Tour Request' I received a minutes few ago was from an individual  arrested and jailed for assault/battery  & brandishing a weapon in 2023.

    As moderator, you may want to consider how your responses can come across as a bit demeaning, possibly misogynistic.  and definitely biased.  

    30 years of experience  has taught me that no single method of property listing/advertising is perfect (even broker/property management  companies).

    Yes, I believe using Zillow  as a pre-screening tool IS clever. 

    I am also CLEVER enough to use additional  resources,  including the RENT.COM family of sites.  I offer the option of pre-screening through their service as well, if someone already  has an active application in their system. 

    Additionally, I am CARING enough to also refer families to seek realtors & brokers  who have property management services.  Many are not aware there are options other than zillow, trulia, rent.com, or whatever pops up at the top of the Google list on a given day. 

    Kindness & respect are valued aspects of professionalism. 

     What is exactly misogynistic here? You dont like his answer to the question so it's automatically misogynistic?

    I can agree to disagree  with his opinion.   

    The misogynistic  aspect is the derogatory  voice of "you may think you are clever, but..."; that wording is a blatant put-down and the equivalent  of calling one stupid.

    It is not necessary to be insulting in the way we address  others, no matter one's expertise or credentials.   

    Regardless of the method  used to advertise  or pre-screen, there will always be prospective  "high-quality tenants that are being 'missed'".

    There are positive and uplifting  ways to give additional marketing  suggestions  if the intent is to be helpful and informative as a credentialed expert. 

     So a man asks a question. A man answers said question. Nothing about sex comes up, and you dont like his answer to another mans question and it's misogynistic? Im still failing to see the connection here.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Cliff H.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Nashua, NH · Member since 2014 · 587 posts · 477 votes
    3y

    DIY landlords should 100% screen prospective applicants before they ever agree to meet them in person. Realtors know this all too well and there’s real data behind the realtors killed in the process of showing a property to strangers.

    This is why I automate and self-service all showings. People say you can’t do that, they might damage the carpet, all the while ignoring the real threat to their own life by meeting strangers without prescreening.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:
    Quote from @Katherine Thompson:
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:
    Quote from @Katherine Thompson:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    I'm not a fan and think it's a terrible practice.

    It's nice that the Zillow app can be applied for up to a month, but what if the Tenant finds a rental on REALTOR.com or on a property manager's website? Then the Zillow application is useless. It only works for properties listed on Zillow.

    I would never pay to be screened before looking at a house. You may think it's clever, but I can assure you there are a lot of qualified applicants not looking at your rental.

     As a broker, I doubt you would be in the position  of applying  for a rental property.  But if you were, refusing to "pay to view" is definitely  your right and choice.

    Times have changed, and practices must adjust to fit the times.  The 'Tour Request' I received a minutes few ago was from an individual  arrested and jailed for assault/battery  & brandishing a weapon in 2023.

    As moderator, you may want to consider how your responses can come across as a bit demeaning, possibly misogynistic.  and definitely biased.  

    30 years of experience  has taught me that no single method of property listing/advertising is perfect (even broker/property management  companies).

    Yes, I believe using Zillow  as a pre-screening tool IS clever. 

    I am also CLEVER enough to use additional  resources,  including the RENT.COM family of sites.  I offer the option of pre-screening through their service as well, if someone already  has an active application in their system. 

    Additionally, I am CARING enough to also refer families to seek realtors & brokers  who have property management services.  Many are not aware there are options other than zillow, trulia, rent.com, or whatever pops up at the top of the Google list on a given day. 

    Kindness & respect are valued aspects of professionalism. 

     What is exactly misogynistic here? You dont like his answer to the question so it's automatically misogynistic?

    I can agree to disagree  with his opinion.   

    The misogynistic  aspect is the derogatory  voice of "you may think you are clever, but..."; that wording is a blatant put-down and the equivalent  of calling one stupid.

    It is not necessary to be insulting in the way we address  others, no matter one's expertise or credentials.   

    Regardless of the method  used to advertise  or pre-screen, there will always be prospective  "high-quality tenants that are being 'missed'".

    There are positive and uplifting  ways to give additional marketing  suggestions  if the intent is to be helpful and informative as a credentialed expert. 

     So a man asks a question. A man answers said question. Nothing about sex comes up, and you dont like his answer to another mans question and it's misogynistic? Im still failing to see the connection here.

    My purpose for answering the original question  posted was to share that a requirement of a private landlord is not necessarily  a phishing scam and can have some very legitimate  purposesfor a private landlord.

    I shared my personal experience  and reasons why I have adopted  this as my operating procedure.

    One of the most vital reasons I shared was my personal safety  (as obviously female landlord) and the lack of any verifiable  identity or information  volunteered by online and phone prospects.

    As as a broker, Nathan  is entirely  welcome  to his personal  opinion.   I have no problem with that.

    Forgive me if I am mistaken, but it is my understanding that the responsibility  of a forum moderator  is to encourage  participants,  promote learning  and understanding,  to prevent inappropriate  or abusive content.

    In this case he fell short of those objectives  and I called him on it.  Not only was he unable to acknowledge  any validity  to my input,  but felt the need to insinuaye I am stupid for my business  choices.

    I am not one  to throw  around words lightly.  Perhaps  misogynistic  was an intense choice in this situation, since the evidence  may not be glaringly gender-based.    Misogynistic behavior is not only blatant discrimination, but the includes the dismissal, devaluation and ridicule of opinions voiced by a female. 

    I grant that my reaction (calling his reply to me misogynistic)  may be a sensitive trigger issue for me.  Perhaps  you also have such an immediate  and intense response  for your own reasons, assume i just cant take a differing opinion  & therefore  resort to name-calling.

    Perhaps  egocentric  or insensitive  would  have been a more appropriate  term to use,  but given the current  environment,  more professional  behavior  and response would  definitely  be appreciated  in the response  and input provided by an individual   entrusted with the position  of moderator.

    Perhaps  we can all learn to be more sensitive and professional through this experience.  
    0
    Topic locked
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    3y

     As a broker, I doubt you would be in the position  of applying  for a rental property.  But if you were, refusing to "pay to view" is definitely  your right and choice.

    Times have changed, and practices must adjust to fit the times.  The 'Tour Request' I received a minutes few ago was from an individual  arrested and jailed for assault/battery  & brandishing a weapon in 2023.

    As moderator, you may want to consider how your responses can come across as a bit demeaning, possibly misogynistic.  and definitely biased.  

    30 years of experience  has taught me that no single method of property listing/advertising is perfect (even broker/property management  companies).

    Yes, I believe using Zillow  as a pre-screening tool IS clever. 

    I am also CLEVER enough to use additional  resources,  including the RENT.COM family of sites.  I offer the option of pre-screening through their service as well, if someone already  has an active application in their system. 

    Additionally, I am CARING enough to also refer families to seek realtors & brokers  who have property management services.  Many are not aware there are options other than zillow, trulia, rent.com, or whatever pops up at the top of the Google list on a given day. 

    Kindness & respect are valued aspects of professionalism. 

     What is exactly misogynistic here? You dont like his answer to the question so it's automatically misogynistic?

    I can agree to disagree  with his opinion.   

    The misogynistic  aspect is the derogatory  voice of "you may think you are clever, but..."; that wording is a blatant put-down and the equivalent  of calling one stupid.

    It is not necessary to be insulting in the way we address  others, no matter one's expertise or credentials.   

    Regardless of the method  used to advertise  or pre-screen, there will always be prospective  "high-quality tenants that are being 'missed'".

    There are positive and uplifting  ways to give additional marketing  suggestions  if the intent is to be helpful and informative as a credentialed expert. 

     So a man asks a question. A man answers said question. Nothing about sex comes up, and you dont like his answer to another mans question and it's misogynistic? Im still failing to see the connection here.

    My purpose for answering the original question  posted was to share that a requirement of a private landlord is not necessarily  a phishing scam and can have some very legitimate  purposesfor a private landlord.

    I shared my personal experience  and reasons why I have adopted  this as my operating procedure.

    One of the most vital reasons I shared was my personal safety  (as obviously female landlord) and the lack of any verifiable  identity or information  volunteered by online and phone prospects.

    As as a broker, Nathan  is entirely  welcome  to his personal  opinion.   I have no problem with that.

    Forgive me if I am mistaken, but it is my understanding that the responsibility  of a forum moderator  is to encourage  participants,  promote learning  and understanding,  to prevent inappropriate  or abusive content.

    In this case he fell short of those objectives  and I called him on it.  Not only was he unable to acknowledge  any validity  to my input,  but felt the need to insinuaye I am stupid for my business  choices.

    I am not one  to throw  around words lightly.  Perhaps  misogynistic  was an intense choice in this situation, since the evidence  may not be glaringly gender-based.    Misogynistic behavior is not only blatant discrimination, but the includes the dismissal, devaluation and ridicule of opinions voiced by a female. 

    I grant that my reaction (calling his reply to me misogynistic)  may be a sensitive trigger issue for me.  Perhaps  you also have such an immediate  and intense response  for your own reasons, assume i just cant take a differing opinion  & therefore  resort to name-calling.

    Perhaps  egocentric  or insensitive  would  have been a more appropriate  term to use,  but given the current  environment,  more professional  behavior  and response would  definitely  be appreciated  in the response  and input provided by an individual   entrusted with the position  of moderator.

    Perhaps  we can all learn to be more sensitive and professional through this experience.  

     He didnt even interact with you or address you, or answer you what so ever. The original poster asked a question, and the person who had the most knowledge in property management, since he owns the largest PM company represented here provided his expert advice. The only person who did any attacking or talking down to anyone in this thread was you when you randomly made a kind of a serious accusation against someone who wasnt even interacting with you in any way whatsoever.  I think the lesson here is the opposite of being more sensitive actually....the lesson should be to be less sensitive, and not imagine slights where they dont exist. 


    Our moderators, both men and women, provide unfettered advice and knowledge. No BS, no telling people what they want to hear. 

    3
    Topic locked
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Katherine Thompson:

    i drive Buyers around after they sign an agreement to compensate me. That's what educators teach, it's often what the law requires, and it's how professionals operate. 

    Buyers do not pay for a prequel.

    Run your business however you want. It's a free country and what works for you may be different than what works for me. I'm just telling you that I would not pay a fee before being allowed to see the rental and I suspect the majority of well-qualified renters would be the same.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
    4
    Topic locked