Tenant Claims Bad Bathroom Odor, Should I Just Let Him Go?

Tenant Claims Bad Bathroom Odor, Should I Just Let Him Go?

Las Vegas · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 29 votes
I have a tenant who claims that there is a bad sewage smell coming from the master bathroom - making it unbearable to live in the condo.

He just moved in there on May 1.

The entire condo was remodeled. I was there very often to oversee the project and smelled nothing. Prior tenant had no complaints.

Two different plumbers have gone there to investigate and neither smelled anything. They felt the tenant was angling for something, but unsure of what that was.

I'm now sending a third plumber, per tenant's request.

Tenant is also asking to be let out of his lease so he could move at the end of the next month - due to the smell.

If the third plumber also smells nothing, should I let the tenant out of the lease? Keep the deposit? Hold him to the signed lease?
1Reply
329 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y

I wouldn't send a plumber for a smell test unless absolutely necessary. If you're in the area, ask the tenant to contact you when they smell the odor, then drive over and confirm. If there's no odor, tell him there's no odor and you're not going to pay a plumber for nothing. If he persists, tell him to give 30 days notice to vacate and then find a new renter. He could be trying to get out of the lease or he could be a chronic complainer. Either way, some people just aren't worth the trouble.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Mark S. sounds like he's creating an excuse...you have done more than your due diligence as a landlord by sending 3 plumbers to investigate. Has anyone else in the associations raised the issue in any other unit?

    If the place is spotless, letting him go is probably the best solution....but I would try to at least retain him until you find a new tenant. The alternative...if the lease specifies, is requiring him facilitate the sub-lease to a tenant approved by you. Ultimately, he is obligated to pay the balance of the lease if he wants out, but this is a legal issue that is not worth fighting in almost every situation.

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    As previously mentioned, legally you certainly have done more than your due diligence addressing these concerns of your tenant.  I can't imagine your plumbing bills over trying to find the source of this mysterious odor with disappears when plumbers show up.

    My question would be how difficult would it be to find a replacement tenant if you were to release him from his lease?

    If you have an "early buyout termination" clause in the lease he is free to use this option.  If not and you're weary of dealing with this business you can always inform him you will begin advertising for a new tenant (which, of course, means there will be showings of the unit) and once a qualified replacement is found, his lease can be terminated.

    Sometimes when a tenant realizes there will be folks tromping through their place the bathroom "odor" suddenly evaporates.

    While you should not have to suffer loss of rent over all of this, life is too short to keep dealing with this nonsense.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    Tell the tenant that you have had 3 professional plumbers in and there is no problem.  If they aren't happy, they can move out before the end of June with no penalty for breaking the lease. 

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    If you know there is no problem you tell the tenant this. Then ignore further comments from the tenant. You do NOT let them out of the lease early because they are making a fuss.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    Oh no no, I've seen this movie before.

    @George W.

    @George W.Does this sound like a possible draining/siphoning/cracked shower trap to you as well?

    @Mark S.

    1. How old is the condo?

    2. What kind of condo is it, specifically, is it an apartment in a larger, older, masonry building?

    3. What happened in the bathroom remodel?

    @JD Martin

  • Las Vegas · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 29 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    Oh no no, I've seen this movie before.

    @George W.

    @George W.Does this sound like a possible draining/siphoning/cracked shower trap to you as well?

    @Mark S.

    1. How old is the condo?

    2. What kind of condo is it, specifically, is it an apartment in a larger, older, masonry building?

    3. What happened in the bathroom remodel?

    @JD Martin

    He claimed it was coming from the bathtub. All three plumbers disagree.

    The condo community is maybe 17-20 years old. 

    The third plumber said there appeared to be a minor leak around the toilet, maybe the wax ring is bad. I told him to replace and reset.

    The plumber said "maybe" that's what he smelled, but the plumber himself smelled nothing. Tenant claims the smell is so bad the condo is "unlivable" - which seems a far stretch with three plumbers unable to smell even a slight odor.

    I can get another tenant easily, we had 12 showing in two days when this place went on the market for rent.

    If at this point the tenant calls again with another complaint, I'm going to give the green light for the property manager to let him out.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    I wouldn't send a plumber for a smell test unless absolutely necessary. If you're in the area, ask the tenant to contact you when they smell the odor, then drive over and confirm. If there's no odor, tell him there's no odor and you're not going to pay a plumber for nothing. If he persists, tell him to give 30 days notice to vacate and then find a new renter. He could be trying to get out of the lease or he could be a chronic complainer. Either way, some people just aren't worth the trouble.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2012 · 115 posts · 42 votes
    5y

    @Mark S.

    The guy could be lying to get out,

    But could also absolutely be true. We moved into a new construction house and have had multiple sewer smell issues but never consistently, one took a year to figure out...basement bathroom someone drilled a hole in the drywall (basement finished after moving In) behind toilet to run cold water line but hit the plumbing stack and cut a hole in it. We got a faint smell from time to time for a year...pulled the toilet half a dozen times, before finally realizing the problem. Most days it didn’t smell though. sewer gas is hard to pin point.

    Ask him when he is getting the smell, after he showers? Flushes the toilet? Runs the sink? Morning/evenings?

    If he is running the vent fan when he is showering for example he is creating a low pressure system that would suck in any sewer gas. If it isn’t running while the plumbers are there, nothing to smell...

    I’d have him leave the vent on before going over yourself or sending a plumber.

    Don’t lose a tenant over the cost of pulling a toilet...

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    Oh no no, I've seen this movie before.

    @George W.

    @George W.Does this sound like a possible draining/siphoning/cracked shower trap to you as well?

    @Mark S.

    1. How old is the condo?

    2. What kind of condo is it, specifically, is it an apartment in a larger, older, masonry building?

    3. What happened in the bathroom remodel?

    @JD Martin

    Possible for sure. Sewage odors can be notoriously hard to pinpoint. I have had them in my own home (I have a septic tank) and the odor is often fleeting. 

    Step 1: ensure line from house to sewer main is clear and intact by getting it camera'd. 

    Step 2: ensure vent stack(s) are clear.

    Once that is confirmed, work to isolate the odor to a specific bathroom or fixture. Common culprits include poorly sealed wax rings, dry traps from leaks or non use, and localized clogs that vent sewer back into the room.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    A plumbing issue could be causing the problem. Whether it's real or not, I'd let the guy out of his lease by executing the "happy clause". ie, if you don't want to live here, I'll let you leave so you can find a suitable place. I don't know about your area but around here the rental availability is like houses for sale. Very limited so likely wouldn't take long to fill the unit again.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    @Mark S.

    Mark, thanks for answering my first question. But I had three. What kind of condo is it and what did you do in the bathroom remodel? There are a number of possibilities here, as @JD Martin has mentioned. I could write pages on hypotheticals. For instance, if the condo community is 17=20 years old, as you mentioned, there's a very high probability that you are not dealing with cast-iron drainage plumbing. That cuts down on the chances of cracks spontaneously appearing in the stack and branch drains, or in the shower trap, which is very much one of the usual culprits in this sort of situation.

    The chances that three plumbers were "unable to smell even a slight odor" when they went and yet there is a powerful stench at other times is quite possible. This actually happened once to me in a hotel room, but thankfully I was able to diagnose the intermittent problem and replicate the conditions for the worst of the odor, and thereby got my hotel room changed.

    One more thing...were any of the plumbers who visited (and apparently mentioned nothing about any of the possibilities that have already been brought up in this thread) involved in the renovation? You see, intermittent sewer stench coming up in a bathroom is notoriously difficult to pin down. Every plumber knows this. This is not the first time you should be getting this information after talking to three plumbers.

  • Member since 2020 · 984 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I am a plumbing contractor and actually advertise that we deal with odors that are difficult to find. You mentioned that he smells the odor in the bathtub. If he smells the odor when using the tub, or taking a shower the problem is most-likely coming from that black slimy mildew, mold, fungus, or whatever you want to call it that is between the shower door tracks, if the tub has shower doors. We get this problem all the time when the warm water flows downward and causes the steam and smelly odor to rise.

    One of the most-common odor problems in bathroom is the overflow holes in bathroom sinks fill up with slimy crap and when using warm water the odor rises and is horrible. We fill the holes with silicone and never hear from the customers again.

    One more common problems with bathrooms has been addressed in a few posts and this odor is caused when there is a leak in a sewer, drain, or vent pipe. These leaks are very difficult to find, but your tenant would not normally smell a bathroom sink odor, or a leak in a vent or drain only when near the bathtub. 

    Have your plumbers look underneath the tub for water, or mold. If you have shower doors remove than and install curtains. We own several rental properties and the very first thing we do is remove the shower doors and tracks. When is the last time you saw a motel or hotel with shower doors? 

    It is impossible for an odor to go through water in a trap.

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    As @Jim K. and @JD Martin and others have said, you probably do have an issue. You can let him out but what will the next tenant do? You need to find this problem out asap. I would tend to think it was a dry trap that is leaking slowly. If the smell is not as bad after a shower but is worse say 8 hours after the shower, it is most likely a dry trap. Since this is a condo, you will be liable for replacing drywall on the unit below you. 

    Another thing to check is the vents. Maybe they are clogged with a chimney sweep bird nest or something else. 

  • Las Vegas · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 29 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mike Reynolds:

    As @Jim K. and @JD Martin and others have said, you probably do have an issue. You can let him out but what will the next tenant do? You need to find this problem out asap. I would tend to think it was a dry trap that is leaking slowly. If the smell is not as bad after a shower but is worse say 8 hours after the shower, it is most likely a dry trap. Since this is a condo, you will be liable for replacing drywall on the unit below you. 

    Another thing to check is the vents. Maybe they are clogged with a chimney sweep bird nest or something else. 

    What do you base me "probably" having an issue on?

    There was a tenant in there for a year before this guy rented the unit a month later. There were never a single complaint about a smell. Three plumbers, three companies, and they smell nothing.

    I had a similar issue in my house, with a bad sewer like odor. It was unbearable and so bad that the entire second floor stunk like rotten eggs. It was going on almost every day of the week. I had a plumber come over and he said "dry trap" and he was able to smell the odor before he went up the stairs to even get to the second floor. We have four bathrooms and rarely use the one on the second floor when compared to the rest.

    I ran the water about 10-15 minutes a day for a week or so, threw a few scent pellets down the drain (bought at home depot). I haven't smelled anything in over 2 years.

    The tenant, who speculates on the issue, thinks the trap is "missing" and told one of the plumbers that he wants a new bathtub placed in. Now the tenant is unsure if it's the tub.

    Prior to renting it out, I was there almost every day, day and night, making sure the remodel was done right, fixing a few things, taking pictures - and never smelled anything.

    Mind you, there are two bathrooms in this unit - and only the master is an issue, according to the tenant.

    If the tenant continues to complain, I'll let him go no problem. That unit will rent fast.

    Since it's so close, once the tenant is out I can then go there and run several tests like running the shower for a while or running the rub running the sink, etc., and see if any smell comes up.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mark S.:
    Originally posted by @Mike Reynolds:

    As @Jim K. and @JD Martin and others have said, you probably do have an issue. You can let him out but what will the next tenant do? You need to find this problem out asap. I would tend to think it was a dry trap that is leaking slowly. If the smell is not as bad after a shower but is worse say 8 hours after the shower, it is most likely a dry trap. Since this is a condo, you will be liable for replacing drywall on the unit below you. 

    Another thing to check is the vents. Maybe they are clogged with a chimney sweep bird nest or something else. 

    What do you base me "probably" having an issue on?

    There was a tenant in there for a year before this guy rented the unit a month later. There were never a single complaint about a smell. Three plumbers, three companies, and they smell nothing.

    I had a similar issue in my house, with a bad sewer like odor. It was unbearable and so bad that the entire second floor stunk like rotten eggs. It was going on almost every day of the week. I had a plumber come over and he said "dry trap" and he was able to smell the odor before he went up the stairs to even get to the second floor. We have four bathrooms and rarely use the one on the second floor when compared to the rest.

    I ran the water about 10-15 minutes a day for a week or so, threw a few scent pellets down the drain (bought at home depot). I haven't smelled anything in over 2 years.

    The tenant, who speculates on the issue, thinks the trap is "missing" and told one of the plumbers that he wants a new bathtub placed in. Now the tenant is unsure if it's the tub.

    Prior to renting it out, I was there almost every day, day and night, making sure the remodel was done right, fixing a few things, taking pictures - and never smelled anything.

    Mind you, there are two bathrooms in this unit - and only the master is an issue, according to the tenant.

    If the tenant continues to complain, I'll let him go no problem. That unit will rent fast.

    Since it's so close, once the tenant is out I can then go there and run several tests like running the shower for a while or running the rub running the sink, etc., and see if any smell comes up.

     If only the master is a problem, this is easier to investigate and solve. Have the tenant use the other bathroom for a while as you troubleshoot. Tape closed every drain and overflow in the sink and tub, advise him to keep using the toilet and see if the odor goes away. If it does, untape the sink and see if it is still gone. If so, then you are either losing your water in your tub's p-trap or there is slime build up in the shower drains and/or overflow. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Las Vegas · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 29 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @JD Martin:
    Originally posted by @Mark S.:
    Originally posted by @Mike Reynolds:

    As @Jim K. and @JD Martin and others have said, you probably do have an issue. You can let him out but what will the next tenant do? You need to find this problem out asap. I would tend to think it was a dry trap that is leaking slowly. If the smell is not as bad after a shower but is worse say 8 hours after the shower, it is most likely a dry trap. Since this is a condo, you will be liable for replacing drywall on the unit below you. 

    Another thing to check is the vents. Maybe they are clogged with a chimney sweep bird nest or something else. 

    What do you base me "probably" having an issue on?

    There was a tenant in there for a year before this guy rented the unit a month later. There were never a single complaint about a smell. Three plumbers, three companies, and they smell nothing.

    I had a similar issue in my house, with a bad sewer like odor. It was unbearable and so bad that the entire second floor stunk like rotten eggs. It was going on almost every day of the week. I had a plumber come over and he said "dry trap" and he was able to smell the odor before he went up the stairs to even get to the second floor. We have four bathrooms and rarely use the one on the second floor when compared to the rest.

    I ran the water about 10-15 minutes a day for a week or so, threw a few scent pellets down the drain (bought at home depot). I haven't smelled anything in over 2 years.

    The tenant, who speculates on the issue, thinks the trap is "missing" and told one of the plumbers that he wants a new bathtub placed in. Now the tenant is unsure if it's the tub.

    Prior to renting it out, I was there almost every day, day and night, making sure the remodel was done right, fixing a few things, taking pictures - and never smelled anything.

    Mind you, there are two bathrooms in this unit - and only the master is an issue, according to the tenant.

    If the tenant continues to complain, I'll let him go no problem. That unit will rent fast.

    Since it's so close, once the tenant is out I can then go there and run several tests like running the shower for a while or running the rub running the sink, etc., and see if any smell comes up.

     If only the master is a problem, this is easier to investigate and solve. Have the tenant use the other bathroom for a while as you troubleshoot. Tape closed every drain and overflow in the sink and tub, advise him to keep using the toilet and see if the odor goes away. If it does, untape the sink and see if it is still gone. If so, then you are either losing your water in your tub's p-trap or there is slime build up in the shower drains and/or overflow. 

     I should mention, as the plumbers are there - he says "don't you smell that" and they smell nothing. This is not a case where they show up and the smell is gone. He says it stinks as they are actually there. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 97 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    @Mark S. How hard would it be to move a new tenant in? Depending on how easily this could be done, I would have have tenant sign a mutual early termination agreement and let him move out. Keep a portion of his deposit as an inconvenience fee and make sure the property is turn key spotless. So long as it is, have the home ready to be moved right back in within a day or 2. If this guy just moved in and already giving you problems like this, he will continue to be a headache for the entire length of the lease. If its an easy to fill unit, there are easier tenants out there to rent to without the headache. 3 plumbers! I can't believe that you are much better than I am! If the first plumber said there was no smell I would have contacted the tenant and told him there's no issue reported and to either get over it or get out with the above mentioned conditions.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mark S.:
    Originally posted by @JD Martin:
    Originally posted by @Mark S.:
    Originally posted by @Mike Reynolds:

    As @Jim K. and @JD Martin and others have said, you probably do have an issue. You can let him out but what will the next tenant do? You need to find this problem out asap. I would tend to think it was a dry trap that is leaking slowly. If the smell is not as bad after a shower but is worse say 8 hours after the shower, it is most likely a dry trap. Since this is a condo, you will be liable for replacing drywall on the unit below you. 

    Another thing to check is the vents. Maybe they are clogged with a chimney sweep bird nest or something else. 

    What do you base me "probably" having an issue on?

    There was a tenant in there for a year before this guy rented the unit a month later. There were never a single complaint about a smell. Three plumbers, three companies, and they smell nothing.

    I had a similar issue in my house, with a bad sewer like odor. It was unbearable and so bad that the entire second floor stunk like rotten eggs. It was going on almost every day of the week. I had a plumber come over and he said "dry trap" and he was able to smell the odor before he went up the stairs to even get to the second floor. We have four bathrooms and rarely use the one on the second floor when compared to the rest.

    I ran the water about 10-15 minutes a day for a week or so, threw a few scent pellets down the drain (bought at home depot). I haven't smelled anything in over 2 years.

    The tenant, who speculates on the issue, thinks the trap is "missing" and told one of the plumbers that he wants a new bathtub placed in. Now the tenant is unsure if it's the tub.

    Prior to renting it out, I was there almost every day, day and night, making sure the remodel was done right, fixing a few things, taking pictures - and never smelled anything.

    Mind you, there are two bathrooms in this unit - and only the master is an issue, according to the tenant.

    If the tenant continues to complain, I'll let him go no problem. That unit will rent fast.

    Since it's so close, once the tenant is out I can then go there and run several tests like running the shower for a while or running the rub running the sink, etc., and see if any smell comes up.

     If only the master is a problem, this is easier to investigate and solve. Have the tenant use the other bathroom for a while as you troubleshoot. Tape closed every drain and overflow in the sink and tub, advise him to keep using the toilet and see if the odor goes away. If it does, untape the sink and see if it is still gone. If so, then you are either losing your water in your tub's p-trap or there is slime build up in the shower drains and/or overflow. 

     I should mention, as the plumbers are there - he says "don't you smell that" and they smell nothing. This is not a case where they show up and the smell is gone. He says it stinks as they are actually there. 

    Well Mark, if you're sure, you're sure. You have a process, and yiu've followed it this month. The tenant is a deadbeat lying useless waste of skin. He is having odor delusions. Time to get rid of him. All the best of luck and I wish you every success.

  • Las Vegas · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 29 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Isaiah Williams:

    @Mark S. How hard would it be to move a new tenant in? Depending on how easily this could be done, I would have have tenant sign a mutual early termination agreement and let him move out. Keep a portion of his deposit as an inconvenience fee and make sure the property is turn key spotless. So long as it is, have the home ready to be moved right back in within a day or 2. If this guy just moved in and already giving you problems like this, he will continue to be a headache for the entire length of the lease. If its an easy to fill unit, there are easier tenants out there to rent to without the headache. 3 plumbers! I can't believe that you are much better than I am! If the first plumber said there was no smell I would have contacted the tenant and told him there's no issue reported and to either get over it or get out with the above mentioned conditions.

     I can move a tenant in easy. I already told my property manager, if he calls again with another odor complaint, then allow him to move out at the end of the month, because I'm not paying to send a fourth plumber.

  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mark S.:
    Originally posted by @Isaiah Williams:

    @Mark S. How hard would it be to move a new tenant in? Depending on how easily this could be done, I would have have tenant sign a mutual early termination agreement and let him move out. Keep a portion of his deposit as an inconvenience fee and make sure the property is turn key spotless. So long as it is, have the home ready to be moved right back in within a day or 2. If this guy just moved in and already giving you problems like this, he will continue to be a headache for the entire length of the lease. If its an easy to fill unit, there are easier tenants out there to rent to without the headache. 3 plumbers! I can't believe that you are much better than I am! If the first plumber said there was no smell I would have contacted the tenant and told him there's no issue reported and to either get over it or get out with the above mentioned conditions.

     I can move a tenant in easy. I already told my property manager, if he calls again with another odor complaint, then allow him to move out at the end of the month, because I'm not paying to send a fourth plumber.


    Why would you pay for even 1 plumber?  The lease that I use stipulates that if I send someone and it's a non-issue then I can collect the charge from the client. Now, I haven't had to do it yet as none of my current tenants have reported "non issues", and if someone reports something that turns out to be a false alarm, I wouldn't even charge them, as long as it was done in good faith. 

    However, in your case looks like the dude wants a way out. You might want to go ahead and let him go.. Don't return his deposit though. Hope you have a strong lease. 

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    He asked for a new tub to fix the issue?  Doesn’t sound like someone who just wants out of his lease....but you haven’t been responsive to any comments that there could actually be a sewer has issue, so it seems your mind is made up.

    Right or wrong it sounds like he just wants the issue fixed.  Was the tub replaced with the remodel...meaning it’s pretty new and doesn’t make sense that he would try and get that replaced if he didn’t think it was the actual problem? 


    once you smell sewer gas in a room it’s in your head every time you are in that room...

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mark S.:
    Originally posted by @Isaiah Williams:

    @Mark S. How hard would it be to move a new tenant in? Depending on how easily this could be done, I would have have tenant sign a mutual early termination agreement and let him move out. Keep a portion of his deposit as an inconvenience fee and make sure the property is turn key spotless. So long as it is, have the home ready to be moved right back in within a day or 2. If this guy just moved in and already giving you problems like this, he will continue to be a headache for the entire length of the lease. If its an easy to fill unit, there are easier tenants out there to rent to without the headache. 3 plumbers! I can't believe that you are much better than I am! If the first plumber said there was no smell I would have contacted the tenant and told him there's no issue reported and to either get over it or get out with the above mentioned conditions.

     I can move a tenant in easy. I already told my property manager, if he calls again with another odor complaint, then allow him to move out at the end of the month, because I'm not paying to send a fourth plumber.

    If you have a PM you shouldn't even be hearing about this. 

    Having to pay your PM a new reletting fee isn't. "easy". 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 758 posts · 285 votes
    5y

    Maybe your tenant is just making an excuse to break out of the lease. 

  • Gillette, WY · Member since 2017 · 149 posts · 68 votes
    5y

    @Mark S. Replicating my experience with “sewer gas” could be a stretch BUT 10 years ago in my apartment building there was a mentally ill person who alway smelled sewer gas when no one else could smell it. The apartment owner sent in plumbers, contractors and everyone else they could to investigate but absolutely no one else smelled it. After talking with relatives it was very obvious that she was mentally ill and her sewer gas problems persisted in every apartment she had.

    Personally, I would want them out of my building. If they are looking for an out and you don’t give it, that may cause animosity towards you and they may cause damage to your apartment . Sure you can go after them for damages but it all sounds like a headache to me. Find a better tenet, keep their deposit and wrap this migraine up 😁

  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 729 posts · 596 votes
    5y

    @Mark S.

    I have many tenants who leave early, but they are responsible for the lease until new lease is signed. I would tell the tenant I will find a new tenant and once new tenant signs lease, he is off the hook. But I would not let him out due to a smell only he can detect.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.