I own several properties and I seem to get daily texts and call from people offering to buy my properties, usually without even specificying the property. Any idea how these people are getting my phone number, who they are and what's the deal with all this? Can I get it to stop?
It's a very hot market and many people are cold-calling in an effort to drum up a deal. I've seen people with out-of-state plates driving around communities, taking pictures of homes they probably intend to research and call on.
Guru wholesaling courses bottom line.. that's who are teaching all these people these marketing methods.. IE yellow letters etc etc.
this is nothing new .. And anyone who is out of state goes to the top of the list of people to call you know burnt out landlord syndrome.
Also anyone who has owned the property for many years is prime and then of course other lists that filter to no debt.
those are the targets.. then you have shotgunning just send a letter to an entire zip code.
AS direct marketing has been saturated in many markets this led to robo calling and live calling with VAs oh bout 5 to 7 years ago as information becomes easier to get you just have to pay for it and set up the calling.
This is how i bought timberland in Oregon in the 90s.. I created my own custom data base the old fashion way sent a researcher into each counties assessors office to comb through public records and in Oregon and Washington being timber states there is aerial photomentry books that mirror the assessors plat YOU know pre google earth.. with that in hand we created a mailing list of 10k properties from OR CA border to Longview WA West side of Cascades to East side of coast range.. 10 acres or more with visible merch timber.. then we took that data base and backed it up with the reverse directory ( land lines) Pre cell phone and that was our call list.. then i had 2 tele marketers come in 2 nights a week to start calling.. they would generate the leads we would go out on appointments and off we went.. Out of state owners were the best target for these timber tracts as many inherited them never had seen them and never once got approached from anyone to buy them.
Now you have the land geek and those guys selling how to buy land courses and pretty much everyone gets a letter or call from the newest investors that just paid 2k to 30k to learn how to buy properties.. My data base took a year to complete and probably cost me at the time maybe 30k in wages. And another 10k in hotels for the person I had doing it. And Keep in mind this was all possible because lap tops just came out and the kid I hired to do this new how to run one.. I could never have done this on my .. But each job we garnered from this data base was worth mid 5's in net profit to as high as mid 6s and we hit a few whoppers
So now its just buy a list hire a robo call company and go for it.. biggest issue I see from those that do this now is people reading from scrips and the actual buyers or wholesalers as well just not being ready to close deals based on lack of money and experience. .
If it’s your personal phone it takes 10 seconds to make your phone only ring for known contacts. I guarantee I have more blocked numbers on my phone than anyone here. (I still go through and block them after their call is ignored s they never leave a voicemail mail and their texts are identical…)
I dont block them only for one reason I turn the tables on them.. Usually once a year I find one that is ready for prime time articulate knows what they heck they are doing and is just a capital partner away from exploding.. so instead of selling me.. I bring them into my fold :)
Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
5y
It's disrespectful and disruptive to get calls and text every day on a phone that I have to monitor for work reasons. I'm on the 'do not call registry', have to have my phone set to only ring for known contacts (which causes issues with missed calls that are wanted), and block texters but they still keep coming every day. People are just selfish and they don't care if they are disrespectful and disruptive to others in the pursuit of their needs (WIIFM).
Real Estate Syndicator · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 903 posts · 1k+ votes
5y
Just the name of the game. Mostly because it works. Lot of people on here do the same when searching for off market deals or using list source to build property owner lists. The more properties you get, the bigger the target. Now, if you can build your ownership so you use LLC entities and Google voice numbers to voicemail, you can find ways to protect your privacy.
Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2018 · 614 posts · 666 votes
5y
@Andrew Smith
Very likely that’s wholesalers.
Get some sort of interest from you that you might sell and send it out to a list of buyers.
There’s subscriptions you can buy that uploads a ton a phone numbers and addresses that cold callers use to cold call.
A lot of time the numbers, names and addresses aren’t correct so they’re mostly looking to contact a few hundred/thousand people to find 1 person who is actually interested.
There’s a lot of scams out there but also a lot of people using it just to try and find an interested person. Annoying to most - but not always a scam.
You can get on National DNC List and should trim the calls received.
Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 8 votes
5y
@Andrew Smith lots of info on the web... I do this with my target markets. Find the properties I want to target and start mailing, calling & texting them. Sometimes even send a blind offer. Everyone is a seller just depends on price. And it may take that one bad call or bad day to push them to sell and who will be top of mind and make the process simple? This guy... I know this doesn’t help but it explains who is trying to contact you, the young hungry for growth investor 😉
Investor · Telluride, CO · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 9 votes
5y
@Andrew Smith Have you listened to any BP podcast interviewing a wholesaler? You'll find your answers there. As for getting them to stop, call the number and ask to be removed. I take people off my lists when they call and aren't interested or their property doesn't fit what I'm looking for.