Random texts and calls to buy my properties?

Random texts and calls to buy my properties?

Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 71 votes

I own several properties and I seem to get daily texts and call from people offering to buy my properties, usually without even specificying the property.  Any idea how these people are getting my phone number, who they are and what's the deal with all this?  Can I get it to stop?

1Reply
159 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
5y
Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

It's a very hot market and many people are cold-calling in an effort to drum up a deal. I've seen people with out-of-state plates driving around communities, taking pictures of homes they probably intend to research and call on.

Guru wholesaling courses  bottom line..  that's who are teaching all these people these marketing methods.. IE yellow letters etc etc.

this is nothing new .. And anyone who is out of state goes to the top of the list of people to call  you know burnt out landlord syndrome.

Also anyone who has owned the property for many years is prime and then of course other lists that filter to no debt.

those are the targets.. then you have shotgunning just send a letter to an entire zip code.

AS direct marketing has been saturated in many markets this led to robo calling and live calling with VAs oh bout 5 to 7 years ago as information becomes easier to get you just have to pay for it and set up the calling.

This is how i bought timberland in Oregon in the 90s.. I created my own custom data base  the old fashion way sent a researcher into each counties assessors office to comb through public records and in Oregon and Washington being timber states there is aerial photomentry books that mirror the assessors plat  YOU know pre google earth.. with that in hand we created a mailing list of 10k properties from OR CA border to Longview WA  West side of Cascades to East side of coast range..  10 acres or more with visible merch timber.. then we took that data base and backed it up with the reverse directory ( land lines) Pre cell phone  and that was our call list.. then i had 2 tele marketers come in 2 nights a week to start calling.. they would generate the leads we would go out on appointments and off we went.. Out of state owners were the best target for these timber tracts as many inherited them never had seen them and never once got approached from anyone to buy them.

Now you have the land geek and those guys selling how to buy land courses and pretty much everyone gets a letter or call from the newest investors that just paid 2k to 30k to learn how to buy properties.. My data base took a year to complete and probably cost me at the time maybe 30k in wages. And another 10k in hotels for the person I had doing it.  And Keep in mind this was all possible because lap tops just came out and the kid I hired to do this new how to run one.. I could never have done this on my ..   But each job we garnered from this data base was worth mid 5's in net profit to as high as mid 6s and we hit a few whoppers 

So now its just buy a list hire a robo call company and go for it.. biggest issue I see from those that do this now is people reading from scrips and the actual buyers or wholesalers as well just not being ready to close deals based on lack of money and experience. .

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    I'm getting daily calls from RE agents saying they have a buyer for my duplex. Also getting letters withn offers to buy. It is just a very tight market with virtually no inventory of properties for sale. I have no desire to part with any of my investment properties; where will I find replacements?

  • Laveen, AZ · Member since 2016 · 584 posts · 528 votes
    5y

    @Andrew Smith

    @Bjorn Ahlblad

    Your purchase and ownership is public record so your name and phone number are likely listed on the county assessors website. That's where scammers and businesses get your contact info.  I get that crap too. ignore it.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    When they don't even know WHICH property they're calling about...

    I had one that identified herself as "Katy" and pretended she wanted to talk about properties, but hung up three times in a row when I led her on and said, sure, I'd like to talk. I realized she was just calling to check on me and feed my number to other slimeballs.

    That's when I started discussing rather off-color and forward topics with Katy. She stopped calling.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    It's a very hot market and many people are cold-calling in an effort to drum up a deal. I've seen people with out-of-state plates driving around communities, taking pictures of homes they probably intend to research and call on. 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    I received some texts before from random ppl asking to buy my parent’s house. I thought these were people who were trying to hunt for off market homes by send mass texts as an alternative to direct mailing. 

    But then I received a text about another house in the same street as my parent’s house. That’s when something was definitely off. I ignored these texts like they were telemarketing calls, but you can’t seem to block them because they always use a different number. I also don’t even know how they got my number when I’m not in public records for my parent’s house. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    It's a very hot market and many people are cold-calling in an effort to drum up a deal. I've seen people with out-of-state plates driving around communities, taking pictures of homes they probably intend to research and call on.

    Guru wholesaling courses  bottom line..  that's who are teaching all these people these marketing methods.. IE yellow letters etc etc.

    this is nothing new .. And anyone who is out of state goes to the top of the list of people to call  you know burnt out landlord syndrome.

    Also anyone who has owned the property for many years is prime and then of course other lists that filter to no debt.

    those are the targets.. then you have shotgunning just send a letter to an entire zip code.

    AS direct marketing has been saturated in many markets this led to robo calling and live calling with VAs oh bout 5 to 7 years ago as information becomes easier to get you just have to pay for it and set up the calling.

    This is how i bought timberland in Oregon in the 90s.. I created my own custom data base  the old fashion way sent a researcher into each counties assessors office to comb through public records and in Oregon and Washington being timber states there is aerial photomentry books that mirror the assessors plat  YOU know pre google earth.. with that in hand we created a mailing list of 10k properties from OR CA border to Longview WA  West side of Cascades to East side of coast range..  10 acres or more with visible merch timber.. then we took that data base and backed it up with the reverse directory ( land lines) Pre cell phone  and that was our call list.. then i had 2 tele marketers come in 2 nights a week to start calling.. they would generate the leads we would go out on appointments and off we went.. Out of state owners were the best target for these timber tracts as many inherited them never had seen them and never once got approached from anyone to buy them.

    Now you have the land geek and those guys selling how to buy land courses and pretty much everyone gets a letter or call from the newest investors that just paid 2k to 30k to learn how to buy properties.. My data base took a year to complete and probably cost me at the time maybe 30k in wages. And another 10k in hotels for the person I had doing it.  And Keep in mind this was all possible because lap tops just came out and the kid I hired to do this new how to run one.. I could never have done this on my ..   But each job we garnered from this data base was worth mid 5's in net profit to as high as mid 6s and we hit a few whoppers 

    So now its just buy a list hire a robo call company and go for it.. biggest issue I see from those that do this now is people reading from scrips and the actual buyers or wholesalers as well just not being ready to close deals based on lack of money and experience. .

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Timothy Wong:

    I received some texts before from random ppl asking to buy my parent’s house. I thought these were people who were trying to hunt for off market homes by send mass texts as an alternative to direct mailing. 

    But then I received a text about another house in the same street as my parent’s house. That’s when something was definitely off. I ignored these texts like they were telemarketing calls, but you can’t seem to block them because they always use a different number. I also don’t even know how they got my number when I’m not in public records for my parent’s house.

    skip trace services and Lexis Nexius if they have that. easy to do

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    This is how i bought timberland in Oregon in the 90s.. I created my own custom data base  the old fashion way sent a researcher into each counties assessors office to comb through public records and in Oregon and Washington being timber states there is aerial photomentry books that mirror the assessors plat  YOU know pre google earth.. with that in hand we created a mailing list of 10k properties from OR CA border to Longview WA  West side of Cascades to East side of coast range..  10 acres or more with visible merch timber.. then we took that data base and backed it up with the reverse directory ( land lines) Pre cell phone  and that was our call list.. then i had 2 tele marketers come in 2 nights a week to start calling.. they would generate the leads we would go out on appointments and off we went.. Out of state owners were the best target for these timber tracts as many inherited them never had seen them and never once got approached from anyone to buy them.

    Now you have the land geek and those guys selling how to buy land courses and pretty much everyone gets a letter or call from the newest investors that just paid 2k to 30k to learn how to buy properties.. My data base took a year to complete and probably cost me at the time maybe 30k in wages. And another 10k in hotels for the person I had doing it.  And Keep in mind this was all possible because lap tops just came out and the kid I hired to do this new how to run one.. I could never have done this on my ..   But each job we garnered from this data base was worth mid 5's in net profit to as high as mid 6s and we hit a few whoppers 

    So now its just buy a list hire a robo call company and go for it.. biggest issue I see from those that do this now is people reading from scrips and the actual buyers or wholesalers as well just not being ready to close deals based on lack of money and experience. . 

    Everything is much easier now, which is why we're seeing more amateurish behavior and more scams. Technology is not always good for us.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    This is how i bought timberland in Oregon in the 90s.. I created my own custom data base  the old fashion way sent a researcher into each counties assessors office to comb through public records and in Oregon and Washington being timber states there is aerial photomentry books that mirror the assessors plat  YOU know pre google earth.. with that in hand we created a mailing list of 10k properties from OR CA border to Longview WA  West side of Cascades to East side of coast range..  10 acres or more with visible merch timber.. then we took that data base and backed it up with the reverse directory ( land lines) Pre cell phone  and that was our call list.. then i had 2 tele marketers come in 2 nights a week to start calling.. they would generate the leads we would go out on appointments and off we went.. Out of state owners were the best target for these timber tracts as many inherited them never had seen them and never once got approached from anyone to buy them.

    Now you have the land geek and those guys selling how to buy land courses and pretty much everyone gets a letter or call from the newest investors that just paid 2k to 30k to learn how to buy properties.. My data base took a year to complete and probably cost me at the time maybe 30k in wages. And another 10k in hotels for the person I had doing it.  And Keep in mind this was all possible because lap tops just came out and the kid I hired to do this new how to run one.. I could never have done this on my ..   But each job we garnered from this data base was worth mid 5's in net profit to as high as mid 6s and we hit a few whoppers 

    So now its just buy a list hire a robo call company and go for it.. biggest issue I see from those that do this now is people reading from scrips and the actual buyers or wholesalers as well just not being ready to close deals based on lack of money and experience. . 

    Everything is much easier now, which is why we're seeing more amateurish behavior and more scams. Technology is not always good for us.

    what took me a year and a lot of money at least for the time period.. can now be duplicated at your home computer  LOL.. yup.

    And when my Dad started in the 60s  direct mail was alive and well its how all the land companies got leads that and of course advertising in the newspaper ( which I know most of our new BP members probably dont remember or even know what a classified add in a paper looks like).  My dad did his own door hangers  he would put out 5k to 10k of them a week to create his own lead flow..  He worked in a Glen Gary Glen ross type land company where they gave you 3 leads a week and you better close a few..  so I worked the printing press in our garage after school and we went to  the YMCA and picked up the hobos  ( today would be homeless) paid them 10 dollars a day and a pack of smokes to walk door to door hanging them.. my dad would get 20 leads a week and within 6 months was number one in the company and within 2 years started his own and that was my upbringing.. worked from the bottom up..  printing flyers in our apartment garage on the old Gestentner printers messy son of a gun..  !!! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Public records.  Most ownership info is available.  Can almost time the calls/flyers by which guru came to town 2 weeks ago.  During the last crash we bought property all over the US and would get flyers all the time.  Someone on staff found a list of the Rich Dad seminars online and we could track where we would be getting flyers from.  We had trouble flipping a house every now and again and would entertain some of these so called buyers and never, not once, did it work out.  

    Have clients today get them and forward them to us on property they own and we manage.  One wanted to sell their property and asked us to call them.  Turned out she was an actual real estate agent but alas, was a waste of time in the end (shocking!).  

    A common thread with them is they want to assign your property.  So, they are not going to buy it, but they want to put it under contract to sell to someone else.  A common thing taught in RE seminars. Your millage may vary but it has always been a complete waste of time, not that we have tried a lot of them. 

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    If you don't want the calls block those tel numbers

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Scott M.:

    Public records.  Most ownership info is available.  Can almost time the calls/flyers by which guru came to town 2 weeks ago.  During the last crash we bought property all over the US and would get flyers all the time.  Someone on staff found a list of the Rich Dad seminars online and we could track where we would be getting flyers from.  We had trouble flipping a house every now and again and would entertain some of these so called buyers and never, not once, did it work out.  

    Have clients today get them and forward them to us on property they own and we manage.  One wanted to sell their property and asked us to call them.  Turned out she was an actual real estate agent but alas, was a waste of time in the end (shocking!).  

    A common thread with them is they want to assign your property.  So, they are not going to buy it, but they want to put it under contract to sell to someone else.  A common thing taught in RE seminars. Your millage may vary but it has always been a complete waste of time, not that we have tried a lot of them.

    Also when I owned one of my retail brokerages I could tell when a guru came through  my agents would get calls from big time investors or at least they said they were and they wanted to buy 20 properties this year.. so please send out 10 contracts a week for us..

    Rookie agents would get all excited I instructed them to have this so called heavy duty investor come to the office so we could chat.. then I would do the OK how you going to do this.. where is your proof you have money etc etc.. next thing you know they are out the door.  And i just saved a rookie agent a year of heart ache.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Andrew Smith

    Same, almost daily and largely from outsourced virtual assistants. When I ask for details about their operation and if they can email me instead of calling/texting I get crickets 😑

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    This is how i bought timberland in Oregon in the 90s.. I created my own custom data base  the old fashion way sent a researcher into each counties assessors office to comb through public records and in Oregon and Washington being timber states there is aerial photomentry books that mirror the assessors plat  YOU know pre google earth.. with that in hand we created a mailing list of 10k properties from OR CA border to Longview WA  West side of Cascades to East side of coast range..  10 acres or more with visible merch timber.. then we took that data base and backed it up with the reverse directory ( land lines) Pre cell phone  and that was our call list.. then i had 2 tele marketers come in 2 nights a week to start calling.. they would generate the leads we would go out on appointments and off we went.. Out of state owners were the best target for these timber tracts as many inherited them never had seen them and never once got approached from anyone to buy them.

    Now you have the land geek and those guys selling how to buy land courses and pretty much everyone gets a letter or call from the newest investors that just paid 2k to 30k to learn how to buy properties.. My data base took a year to complete and probably cost me at the time maybe 30k in wages. And another 10k in hotels for the person I had doing it.  And Keep in mind this was all possible because lap tops just came out and the kid I hired to do this new how to run one.. I could never have done this on my ..   But each job we garnered from this data base was worth mid 5's in net profit to as high as mid 6s and we hit a few whoppers 

    So now its just buy a list hire a robo call company and go for it.. biggest issue I see from those that do this now is people reading from scrips and the actual buyers or wholesalers as well just not being ready to close deals based on lack of money and experience. . 

    Everything is much easier now, which is why we're seeing more amateurish behavior and more scams. Technology is not always good for us.

    what took me a year and a lot of money at least for the time period.. can now be duplicated at your home computer  LOL.. yup.

    And when my Dad started in the 60s  direct mail was alive and well its how all the land companies got leads that and of course advertising in the newspaper ( which I know most of our new BP members probably dont remember or even know what a classified add in a paper looks like).  My dad did his own door hangers  he would put out 5k to 10k of them a week to create his own lead flow..  He worked in a Glen Gary Glen ross type land company where they gave you 3 leads a week and you better close a few..  so I worked the printing press in our garage after school and we went to  the YMCA and picked up the hobos  ( today would be homeless) paid them 10 dollars a day and a pack of smokes to walk door to door hanging them.. my dad would get 20 leads a week and within 6 months was number one in the company and within 2 years started his own and that was my upbringing.. worked from the bottom up..  printing flyers in our apartment garage on the old Gestentner printers messy son of a gun..  !!! 

    Be still my beating heart from all the glamorous lifestyling...

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    My wife and daughter get texts and calls all the time too. It’s annoying. I get on average one or two a day. At least my wife finally believes me that these properties are worth something. Lol

  • TX · Member since 2018 · 154 posts · 92 votes
    5y

    I’m getting the same thing - I just tell them that I’ll sell for a price they are not willing to pay. I agree that most of these people calling work for wholesalers. Most of them seem pretty terrible and don’t listen. It would be nice to block them but the technology isn’t there yet. We just have to continue to suffer.

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2018 · 577 posts · 864 votes
    5y

    When we get unsolicited calls, we always say, "Sure, we'll sell you our property".  

    Then they get all excited, and ask how much we will offer it for. Our answer is always the same - FMV x 2, all cash, no contingencies, close in 7 days.

    For some reason, they hang up and never call back...

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    I don't know if you can get it to stop, but in markets where inventory is incredibly tight, we're all getting calls, texts and junk mail. Realtors are desperate for deals. I suspect they're searching property tax rolls or skip tracing you.
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    5y

    If it’s your personal phone it takes 10 seconds to make your phone only ring for known contacts. I guarantee I have more blocked numbers on my phone than anyone here. (I still go through and block them after their call is ignored s they never leave a voicemail mail and their texts are identical…)

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    @Andrew Smith we had this happen for a property we owned (zoned agricultural) and they actually ended up buying it. 💰

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 346 posts · 170 votes
    5y

    @Andrew Smith

    I get those calls too and once they asked me how much I want to sell them for I tell them a very much higher price to see if someone bites.

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @Jim K. LOL that's hilarious. That explains why I got a text the other day asking me if I owned X property, and it's in a town I never even heard of. Usually the people calling me actually know which properties I own but now I'm getting "you own X right?" And X Is in a far away place I never heard of. Weird.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Lynne Smith:

    @Jim K. LOL that's hilarious. That explains why I got a text the other day asking me if I owned X property, and it's in a town I never even heard of. Usually the people calling me actually know which properties I own but now I'm getting "you own X right?" And X Is in a far away place I never heard of. Weird.

    What I think is happening is that the people who are calling us are actually yet another step away from the action. They're just data compilers in the Third World getting paid next to nothing for what they do. The data dumps they're supplied with come down as a list of names from one source, phone numbers from another, and properties from a third, and the people who are calling us are just trying to match numbers to names to properties.

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    5y

    I can turn off my phone but the house next door has been vacant for a decade and we get at least 3 agents a week knocking on our door about it.  I'm about to put a sign up:  Owner's name is xxxx xxxx, his phone number is XXXXXXX, he doesn't answer his phone, and he's a major lunatic so we don't talk to him.  Pretty sure the house is a hoarder storage unit.  Go away.

  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    I get them daily. Slimy broke wholesalers. Ask them to send a recent bank statement for proof of funds and see how fast they hang up. Or tell them sure Ill sell for "one meeeelion dollars" (in your best Austin Powers voice). 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.