Hostile Tenants - Need Advice!

Hostile Tenants - Need Advice!

Accountant · FL · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 8 votes

Hello BP Community!

I have a rather bizarre situation and was hoping for some insight. I have a duplex (two units, one address) and rented out one unit to tenants and was keeping the other unit for myself. The tenants knew this going in and were fine with it and I have written communication where they refer to the other unit as my apartment. 

For some insane reason they are now claiming both units are theirs (because they share one address) and are making my life hell (sending intimidating emails, yelling at me when I go to the property (my unit) and demanding notice for entering my unit). They have been taking pictures and video of me constantly. I had to go to the police yesterday but they can’t do anything unless the tenants hurt me although they did offer a police escort when I return. I am currently staying at a hotel because I am afraid of them. This is in Texas. 

5Reply
215 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
5y

Hopefully your lease spells out that they get one side of the duplex. 

What type of lease? Monthly or annual? If monthly, non-renew. If annual, I'd file for eviction. Eviction is not just for non-payment. Given you don't want to screw this up, I'd spend the money to have a lawyer do it.

See this reply in the discussion

64 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · FL · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bruce Lynn:

    @Account Closed   If the property is in DFW area, I will go with you, if you need assistance.

     Thank you! Unfortunately it is in Houston.

  • Accountant · FL · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Scott Mac:

    Hi Mel,

    Contact a local eviction attorney by phone--ASAP.

    Describe the physical intimidation--scaring--hopefully with some kind of record of it.

    List all of the lease violations they have done.

    Let the Eviction-Pro handle it.

    However the cards come down--obey the law on your side 100% at all times.

    Ask the Eviction-Pro for a (FEW) references of local attorenies that can work to blunt the lawsuit for you.

    Get someone to work on that lawsuit ASAP.

    Be aware that they may lie and may also have a free Legal Aid attorney working for them.

    If they have lied in a material manner, ask your attorney to point it out to opposing council, and opposing counsel might step down--leaving them to have to out of pocket attorney fees, which changes the whole ballgame.

    Consider selling this unit and in the future looking only in more upscale areas for deals--such as B areas.

    Learn how to "Vet" potential renters vs. whoever can fog a mirror, because my guess is with the physical intimidation aspect this might be an on again off again convict.

    There are owners in here that can handle these "Difficult" renters and make money off of them--but it's not everyone's "Cup of Tea".

    Good Luck!

     Do you have any contacts or recommendations in Houston? I can’t get anyone to help me. 

  • Accountant · FL · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jan Lee:

    I am a property manager in Austin. Your lease should have the legal description of the property and the unit number especially if you used the promulgated form. I'd consult an attorney that specializes in tenant-landlord relations. On the Texas Property Code, there is a section that talks about quiet enjoyment by other tenants and neighbors. I'd be happy to look at your lease, although I cannot give you any legal advise.

     I would be interested in having you take a look at the lease!

  • Accountant · FL · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    The property is in Houston and my lawyer is not helpful at all. This could have been dealt with months ago but he is making things worse and I cannot find anyone who can be aggressive with this. 

    How many people have you called? I can't believe no one can help you......

    This should not be still going on....

    I contacted 20 attorneys as well as two eviction service consultants.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    How many people have you called? I can't believe no one can help you......

    This should not be still going on....

    I contacted 20 attorneys as well as two eviction service consultants.

     Wow! Are they afraid, or too busy or what? This is ridiculous.....

  • Accountant · FL · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    The property is in Houston and my lawyer is not helpful at all. This could have been dealt with months ago but he is making things worse and I cannot find anyone who can be aggressive with this. 

    How many people have you called? I can't believe no one can help you......

    This should not be still going on....

    Back in May when the tenants started being difficult I consulted a few lawyers who looked at the lease and said the tenants didn’t have a leg to stand on. So a cease and desist letter was sent to get them to stop their behavior. Then they filed the lawsuit.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Not in Houston,

    But you can always let your fingers do the dialing (dealers choice--so to speak).

    https://www.google.com/search?q=houstoneviciton+attornies&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS751US751&oq=houstoneviciton+attornies&aqs=chrome..69i57.5232j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

    Good Luck!

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I have to ask


    what kind of Atty are you?

  • Property Manager · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    PM Sent

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Do not hesitate to evict these jerks! Just be aware that they will try to ruin the place on their way out.  I had tenants like that once who left the water running and flooded the entire downstairs of the house.  Angry tenants are no fun! Screen, screen, screen the next ones!

    I had to have a police escort to the property today! However, my lawyer doesn't think I have any grounds to evict. This is insane!

    If your lawyer doesn't think you ahve grounds to evict, there are facts you're leaving out.  As the way you describe it, it should be a slam dunk case.

    I'd tell you what I'd do but it'd get me kicked off the site. I've delt with enough scumbags that if I feel someone is trying to rip me off, my brain flips into the same mode is if someone came into my home and tried to steal my kids piggy bank.  It aint happening. 

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Hello BP Community!

    I have a rather bizarre situation and was hoping for some insight. I have a duplex (two units, one address) and rented out one unit to tenants and was keeping the other unit for myself. The tenants knew this going in and were fine with it and I have written communication where they refer to the other unit as my apartment. 

    For some insane reason they are now claiming both units are theirs (because they share one address) and are making my life hell (sending intimidating emails, yelling at me when I go to the property (my unit) and demanding notice for entering my unit). They have been taking pictures and video of me constantly. I had to go to the police yesterday but they can’t do anything unless the tenants hurt me although they did offer a police escort when I return. I am currently staying at a hotel because I am afraid of them. This is in Texas. 

    I had someone eviceted on the "quiet enjoyment" theory. Seems like that applies here.

  • Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Put large speakers up to the wall and blast Hanson's MMM BOP on loop 24 hours a day. They'll move out.

    Don't ask me how I know this. lol

  • Accountant · FL · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Cody L.:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Do not hesitate to evict these jerks! Just be aware that they will try to ruin the place on their way out.  I had tenants like that once who left the water running and flooded the entire downstairs of the house.  Angry tenants are no fun! Screen, screen, screen the next ones!

    I had to have a police escort to the property today! However, my lawyer doesn't think I have any grounds to evict. This is insane!

    If your lawyer doesn't think you ahve grounds to evict, there are facts you're leaving out.  As the way you describe it, it should be a slam dunk case.

    I'd tell you what I'd do but it'd get me kicked off the site. I've delt with enough scumbags that if I feel someone is trying to rip me off, my brain flips into the same mode is if someone came into my home and tried to steal my kids piggy bank.  It aint happening. 

    Those are the facts, he just seems to be dropping the ball. The tenants have just put a chain lock on the pedestrian gate (used to access both units). I had told them back in May they could do that but only on the condition it was removed during the day. Now they have it on 24/7 including when they go away and when my lawyer asked them to remove it, as this was the second time they violated the agreement, they said NO! 

  • Accountant · FL · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Michael Plante:

    I have to ask


    what kind of Atty are you?

    I do tax law. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.