Shift responsibility for appliance repair to tenants?

Shift responsibility for appliance repair to tenants?

Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 41 votes

I have tenants in my SFH rental who have been there a little over a year. About 4 months into their tenancy, the gas dryer I supplied quit working. It was 7 years old and I couldn't get a replacement part, so I purchased a 1 yr old dryer from a friend and had that installed. In just 8 months the replacement dryer is no longer working properly (sounds like same problem as last time- the clothes aren't drying completely). I am awaiting my repairman to arrive and diagnose.

These are decent tenants, paying market rent. But, my annoyance comes with the fact that it is difficult to get replacement parts for anything right now due to supply chain issues, leading me to have to find, buy, & pay for installation of another appliance vs a simple cheap repair each time something breaks. I don’t want them to get into the mindset that they don’t need to take care of the appliances very well because the landlord will just keep replacing them at no charge.

Might it be worth amending the wording in the lease to say that after this repair, I will continue to provide the appliances (or namely, the washer/dryer) as a courtesy, but they will become responsible for repairs or replacement? They are on a month-to-month lease. Or am I overreacting by doing this?

2Reply
248 views

Most Popular Reply

Coppell, TX · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 310 votes
4y

Side note, make sure you vent is cleaned out.  if it has not been maintained and you have poor flow, your dryer will overheat and this in turn could shorten the lifespan of it.  not to mention the fire risk.   

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @Piper D. if you don't see it by the replies supplying appliances varies regionally.  However you have a gas dryer, my thought is I would not want a tenant hooking up or being responsible for a gas appliance least they don't maintain and you get a big fire or gas issue.  I would maybe see if the way it is vented is an issue or their operation of the appliance is an issue. A clogged vent can be from leaving things in the pockets and not cleaning the dryer vent.

    I am curious if those who don't supply appliances but have hookups have any requirements for tenants hooking up gas.

  • Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 41 votes
    4y

    Thank you everyone for the great feedback.  @Jill F., this particular property is in TN.  @Theresa Harris, I had the vents/ducts cleaned when the original dryer was replaced  8 months ago; they were also done prior to the tenants moving in, which was 4 months before that.  

    The tenants are a young couple, first time living out on their own. @Mary M. We did mention to them to make sure to empty the lint traps regularly after the first dryer was replaced (apparently they did not know they had to do this), but since we are out of state we can't check on this regularly.  I am hoping my repair guy will be able to tell if he thinks the current dryer is broken due to tenant negligence/misuse.  I am aware this may not be able to be proven unless it is a blatant error on their part, so I am ready to eat the cost of either a repair or another replacement dryer.

    I do realize it's not their fault that its hard to get replacement parts.  This is nobody's fault.  I was more or less thinking along the lines that IF it is determined they have abused/neglected the appliance, if, going forward, it might be better to make them responsible for costs of repair/replacement (perhaps they might be more cognizant of taking better care of the appliance if they know they might be on the hook if they break it).  As it stands right now, they have no repercussions if they don't maintain it properly.

    @John Nachtigall & @Luciano A. I totally see your points.  I was thinking more along the lines of if this is determined to be a repeat problem caused by tenant misuse/neglect of said appliance.  Yes, when you rent, you pay for the convenience of not being responsible when something breaks, BUT if the tenant's misuse caused it to break then I see that as a different issue.  

    For those that said I should be buying new: I have shied away from this idea with this particular property mainly because my husband and I are toying with possibly moving back into this house within the next year or two (we had to move temporarily for his work) and if so, I am planning a major remodel/upgrade to the laundry area with all new top of the line appliances at that time.  However, I suppose it may not be a bad idea to get a new dryer now with an extended warranty to not have to deal with repairs for the remainder of the tenancy.  Definitely something to consider.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lake Hallie, WI · Member since 2015 · 292 posts · 144 votes
    4y

    Check the duct work. You should use smooth walled pipe not the flex kind.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lake Hallie, WI · Member since 2015 · 292 posts · 144 votes
    4y

    Interesting side note. I have a 7 unit UC now. The current owner said he would buy window air units for lets say 300 and then rent them to the tenants for 25 a month and tell them they would own them after a year. 25x12=300. Then he said oftentimes the tenant would move and leave them behind. Then he re-rented them to the next tenant. 

  • Daniel SmythPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2019 · 471 posts · 342 votes
    4y

    @Piper D.

    Supply chain issues is a cop-out.

    Parts are on eBay!

    Buy a new washer or a used unit with a warranty.

    If they are good tenants, stop treating them as if you are a slumlord.

    Or, you take money off the rent and have them fix or supply a washer system they can take with them when they leave.

    Need to state so much in a lease addendum.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Hammel:

    “………said he would buy window air units for lets say 300 and then rent them to the tenants for 25 a month and tell them they would own them after a year. 25x12=300. Then he said oftentimes the tenant would move and leave them behind. Then he re-rented them to the next tenant. 

    I really think we, as landlords, have a long way to go to improve our image….. to that end I find  stunts like the above to be detrimental to the long term legal health of being a LL. Basically the more LLs do stunts like the above the sooner legislation will be enacted to corral such activity. Which hurts us all.

    Treat tenants how you would want to be treated is a good starting point 


    (exited for clarity) 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    My market niche is low-C class, long-term housing in the Rust Belt. My tenants typically start with new or mostly new appliances at a basic level. These include washer, dryer, fridge, and range. As appliances wear out and require replacement, I typically replace them with new appliances. I have preferred brands and makes of these new appliances. As has been pointed out in this thread, I have to be pretty good at solving typical problems, such as cleaning the vent on a dryer that doesn't seem to dry well.

    There are exceptions to this. If I have a tenant who is hard on appliances in general, they are rather frequently not someone whose lease I want to keep renewing. That person will get used appliances as a replacement, also to be replaced when they leave.

    In my market segment, it's often hard to stop stepping over dollars to pick up pennies. While appliances replacement costs are a significant part of my overall budget, the long-term tenant goodwill you get because you replace with new appliances is really hard to come by any other way. Tenants in my market niche LOVE new appliances and rave about them to their coworkers and friends. They HATE used, beat-up replacement appliances and complain about them around the watercooler.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Hammel:

    Interesting side note. I have a 7 unit UC now. The current owner said he would buy window air units for lets say 300 and then rent them to the tenants for 25 a month and tell them they would own them after a year. 25x12=300. Then he said oftentimes the tenant would move and leave them behind. Then he re-rented them to the next tenant. 

    The type that has never actually satisfied a woman in his life...we get them often in this business.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Piper D.,

    Whatever your lease states is your answer.   If your lease said you include them, it's 100% your cost and you must maintain the appliance at whatever cost it is to you.   

    When I started, we always included washers and dryers, I mean-- I'd expect them to be be included, so we included them... no one else really seemed to include them, so I thought of it as a market edge.    

    Without a doubt, people can be ROUGH on them.   Without a doubt, washer/dryers are the biggest appliance that breaks and we get calls on.     People tend to treat them like laundromats, where they just add as much as possible, to minimize the  amount of loads.     That being said, we leave the ones "as-is" and tell the tenants, I hope you get 5+ years with no problems, but if it breaks-- these machines aren't guaranteed or maintained, and you'll have to buy your own.   This is what we do for any lower end unit.     Also, if your place has one-- and it's abnormal convenience, people have their friends come over to do their laundry, I've seen it all! 

     If it's a nicer area rental, we'll say we can include them for +$50/mo,  that's the price point 90% of people say they'll buy their own, and it's their choice!   Everyone wins! Hope this helps!

  • Handyman · MN · Member since 2020 · 92 posts · 46 votes
    4y

    Have the wash machine checked too. If it's not draining completely, or not running the full spin cycle they could be starting out with excess water. 

    Are they using timed dry or auto dry? Auto dry is a bit of a joke. 

    Your appliance tech makes a living off of installing replacement parts. They should have adapted their methods and sources for supplies by now. 

  • Saint Simons Island, GA · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 64 votes
    4y

    I would question the class of rental. IF you are having such issues or concerns about tenants, step up to a different class of rentals as soon as the opportunity avails itself. I do credit checks, etc...Ensure your tenants are SOLID. Supply all good appliances with a nice clean fresh place and you will attract quality/responsible renters. Trust me, the renter does not want the headache of bad appliances either. I had a new washing machine go bad after approx three years. Parts were an issue so I went and bought a brand new one. Done. Expensive, but write it off and move on. Try and buy appliances from a local dealer that services what they sell. If you are buying used, expect problems. If you are not THOROUGHLY screening your tenants, expect problems. Yes, one can make a lot of money with certain class properties, guessing with tenants, and taking shortcuts, but the headache is more severe. Just my $.02. I own and manage several properties with one being several states away. 

  • Member since 2020 · 117 posts · 84 votes
    4y

    i dont provide any washer and dryers. if it has hook ups they bring there own. as for other appliances thats the landlords responsibility in my opinion. you can live with out washer and dryer but fridge and stove should fall on the landlord unless the tenants wants to upgrade it then they would be responsible for the new stove/fridge and storage of the old one. my 2 cents

  • Rental Property Investor · Central U. S. A. · Member since 2013 · 296 posts · 149 votes
    4y
    @Seth Borman As other stated, you might try having a plumber or HVAC repairman clean out the interior of your Dryer exhaust vent.

    Also, if your Dryer exhaust vent runs more than 8 or 10 feet in length, you might try having a plumber or HVAC repairman install a dryer booster fan.  I had a dryer on the ground floor that ran upwards through the wall along the ground floor and the second floor and exited through the roof.  My HVAC repairman said that as a dryer gets old it doesn't pump out enough pressure to properly vent the heat up and out of the roof.  This caused the dryer to overheat.  Therefore the thermostat in the dryer turned off the heat and it took a long time to dry the clothes.  My HVAC repairman installed a Fantech DBF110- Dryer Booster Fan and now the dryer works perfectly.
  • Real Estate Agent · New York City · Member since 2020 · 819 posts · 641 votes
    4y

    Personally, I do incorporate that language into the lease and will make exceptions on a case by case basis.

    If tenants are neglectful I will force them to remedy the issue. If it is truly bad luck and they have been good tenants, I'll replace the appliance as a courtesy. 

    I wouldn't "amend" the lease - just have it in the renewal form. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 758 posts · 285 votes
    4y

    If it is something you provided, you should be responsible for the repair (as a landlord). Most of my rentals I do not include appliances. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.