East Bay Meetup – Thurs 3/20/14 - Oakland

East Bay Meetup – Thurs 3/20/14 - Oakland

This event is brought to you by:SF Bay Summit

When:

Where:1520 Lakeside Dr, Oakland, CA 94612

Cost:Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

It's time for the next monthly meetup in the EastBay! Come one, come all! Join us to meet with some great people, talk about all aspects of real estate investing, and make some local connections in the Bay. For those who are coming, please introduce yourself on the forum by copy and pasting the questions I filled out in the post below, then replace my answers with yours. This way, everyone has an idea of who we are and who they'd like to target when we meet up. Everyone will have a chance to introduce themselves in a circle there. I look forward to seeing you all.

What: EastBay Meetup - March Edition
When: Thursday, March 20, 2014
Where: Lake Chalet Seafood Bar & Grill
1520 Lakeside Dr, Oakland, CA 94612 (between 17th St & Oak St)

This is a beautiful location on the waters of LakeMerritt, with lots of tasty drinks/beers, and food available. We have a reservation for an enclosed section with a private side of the bar where we can hear each other talk, that worked well for the last meetup.

Get There: Take BART to 12th St/Civic Center Oakland Station & walk south-east down 14th St towards Lake Merritt. Make a left on Lakeside Dr, and the restaurant is on the Lake on your right hand side. It’s about a 10min +/- brisk walk.

Parking:
There is a free, on-site parking lot, which should have open spots. There is also valet parking for $6.50, and street parking, as available.

Food and drink: There are drinks available, appetizers, and a menu. You are responsible for the cost of your own food and drink, if you choose to have any. There is no “minimum” or cost for the meetup beyond what you choose to spend.

This is the fourth consecutive monthly East Bay Meetup I've organized, and we've had a good group of about 25 people each time, rotating through, with great conversations/connections/tips and people. Everyone is welcome. There is no cost, except whatever you would like to spend on beer or food. BP officially has no hand in organizing this event, except for providing the forum for us to connect on. Please do not post blatant advertisements/solicitations on this forum to avoid violating any of the terms of the website or meetup posting rules. But introduce yourself if you’re coming, and looking forward to seeing you there!

- J Martin

Like last time, I'm going to post some keywords to alert those in the area who might be interested..

East Bay , East Bay Meetup , Bay Area , Meetup , Meet up , Meet-up , San Francisco , Oakland , Berkeley , Alameda County , Contra Costa County , Solano County , Richmond , Hercules , Concord , Albany , Pittsburgh , Marin San Rafael , South Bay , Peninsula , Walnut Creek , Pittsburgh , Antioch , Pleasanton , Fremont , Castro Valley

1Reply
293 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Danville, CA · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 4 votes
12y

Count me in! I missed that meet up last month!

Thanks for organizing, @J Martin!!

See this reply in the discussion

93 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Looking forward to seeing everyone there! Please copy and paste the questions below into a new post and type your responses over mine if you are coming!

    In State / Out of State?
    Investing in-state now. Driveable distances to Bay. Will be considering out of state investments in the future, and interested in hearing more, and talking numbers, thoughts, etc..

    Strategy?
    'Fix' and hold. Buy 'em cheap and beat up. Then make them pretty, and rent at top of market to better than average tenants - so far in lower-income neighborhoods (relative to the Bay).

    Type of properties?
    Prefer 2-4 units, or multiple SFH's on one lot. WIll also consider SFH alone.. Will look at MF and other commercial after tapped out on 30yr financing.

    Looking for?
    Wholesalers to bring off-market properties in the Bay Area w/ <8GRM or significant turnaround/rehab needed.

    Potential equity investors to invest side-by-side with my equity on deals I am looking at. I do not have any money to lend for other's deals right now, but would potentially be interested in being an equity partner on someone else's deal in the Bay Area, investing side-by-side equity with a colleague.

    People who are interested in starting small side businesses that could flourish.

    People who would like to network and/or join up with a non-profit (or form one) and explore how those of us in the real estate industry can give back and volunteer. I've been thinking about this for a while, and the impetus to get started on this project was inspired by a conversation with @Brandon Lee at the last meetup. Thanks Brandon!

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?
    Advice: General real estate, landlording, SF/Oakland rent control, FHA loan info, general loan info, Multifamily, financial analysis, prospecting spreadsheet (CF estimates), economic analysis, references for handyman, loans, insurance, inspectors, etc in the Bay.

  • Belmont, CA · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    You're the hostess with the mostess. Okay you're a dude but you get the idea. You're so good about organizing meet ups! I will try to be there, and I can tell you about the 5plex I passed on in your hood. :)

    In State / Out of State?
    At this point in the game, probably both, pickings are slim in state :(

    Strategy?
    Buy and hold....hold for a long time.

    Type of properties?

    multi-family.

    Looking for?

    Meeting people, drinking buddy, learning some tricks of the trade, making connections, looking for seasoned investor, would be great to find some folks who have been doing this for a while.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?

    Not a whole lot at this point in time, but hopefully I can once I get my feet wet.

  • Real Estate Agent · Hercules, CA · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    Will be my 3rd East Bay meetup and I have to say - it keeps getting better! Great to be able to meet folks in all facets of the industry and gaining much knowledge. Also the Calamari at Lake Chalet is pretty damn good!

    A little about myself: Been living in the Bay Area all my life - Hercules to be exact. All of my career has been in the IT Industry (16 years). Taking my RE Salesperson Lic next week (had to reschedule from the 26th) and will pursue work as a Commercial Lending officer with a relative under his brokerage in Dublin, CA (Cordero Capital Partners)

    In State / Out of State? As a beginner looking to start locally currently researching the Sacramento area

    Strategy? Buy & Hold

    Type of properties? Small apartments 8-10 units maybe up to 20. But my goal is to eventually invest in Commercial (Retail or Office)

    Looking for? Would like to just network myself with like minded individuals to gain advice / hear experiences on how everyone began and hopefully gain working relationships with some of you later down the line. Commercial Brokers and Lenders as well as Commercial Investors

    Can offer / knowledgeable about? At this point - very little other than I will be working as a Commercial Lending officer within the next couple of months and so marketing myself early at this time is one of my main focuses

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Esther Thomas , it was great meeting you in person on the 4th.

    J, if nothing weird happened, I will see you on the 20th. Not sure if @Johnson H. can join us. I'd love too see him again.

  • CA · Member since 2013 · 221 posts · 30 votes
    12y

    I will most likely join unless my sister's baby decide to come out couple of days early. Thanks for organizing this @J. Martin

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    hey, hey!

    I'll try to make this one. I just got me a fat HELOC, so will have money to blow on a new investment property ;~)

    Anyone with even an inkling of a off market/MLS 2-4 unit property, in San Francisco only, give me a shout out!

  • Fremont, CA · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Hi Everyone!

    I got signed up here around the end of last year / beginning of new but, haven't been really active as of yet. Hoping to turn that trend around and attend this meetup with my wife (Aimee). We are completely new to the whole idea of real estate investing. No real existing knowledge yet of real estate investing but, we hope to learn some things and also most importantly for us, learn how not to step on others toes and anger them in the process :)

    In State / Out of State?

    In state / Out of state, we're open to either concept. Could easily see ourselves working on properties in Oregon or Nevada.

    Strategy?
    We'll work on strategy when we know more about the whole process. :)

    Type of properties?
    Mainly, we're interested in flipping SFH but, would love to hear any and all experiences of others on MF or SFH properties.

    Looking for?
    We thirst for knowledge on the topic. Bring us your stories, experiences, lessons, anything you have to say or teach, we have open ears to listen with!

    People who would like to network and/or join up with a non-profit

    We definitely want to meet as many people as we can. We're really looking forward to this get together.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?
    Don't know hardly anything at this point. Spent a couple years working for a large financial corporation doing data entry and one of my parents has nearly 20 years being a senior lending officer for the same company so, I do know some about the traditional SFH loan process but, beyond that, for investing knowledge... it's a hole we're looking to put some dirt in :)

  • Involved In Real Estate · Oakland, CA · Member since 2008 · 141 posts · 25 votes
    12y

    I hope to attend. It's "Grandparents' Day" at my granddaughter's Kindergarten in SF, so timing might be an issue, but I'll do my best--I'd love to see you all & continue some conversations begun last time.

    I see & hear so many of you hankering for "off market" listings, which in my area anyway are few & far between, but what I wonder about is how many good MLS deals you're letting pass by while you wait--all the while prices are going up (Oakland + 30% year over year 2013, for example) and more importantly, so is after-repair resale value. Not to mention, who knows how much longer inventory will stay at historic lows, along with interest rates, making a move-in ready house so very attractive to the many, many buyers now engaging in multiple offer situations. Textbook "penny wise, pound foolish" approach. My advice: look at traditional MLS listings, too, and work with an investor-minded Realtor.

  • Investor · Danville, CA · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Count me in! I missed that meet up last month!

    Thanks for organizing, @J Martin!!

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    I'm going to tag a few people to let them know about the date. @Adam Hofmann

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    I'm going to tag a few people to let them know about the date.

    @Andrew N. @Andy Kaufman @Brandon Lee @Kevin Young @Michaela G. @Mohammad Foro @Nick Fitzpatrick @Pete P.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    I'm going to tag more people to also let them know about the date.

    @Adam Hofmann @Arron Sweeney @Bill Bockwoldt @Brandon Foken @Chris Music @Cory T. @Daniel S.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
  • Lender · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    @J. Martin Although I have a standing Thursday night appointment I am planning to be there. I also have invited a couple of experience investors that I think would definitely had value to the group.

    I also was contacted by a new member of the group that I met last time for some possible business....the networking does work!

    Thanks J

  • Real Estate Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2014 · 143 posts · 91 votes
    12y

    @J. Martin

    I'll be there. This will be my first time coming to one of these meet-ups and I am looking forward to it!

    In State / Out of State?

    Not a current investor but interested in finding that first one. I am a property manager located in Richmond and serve contra costa/alameda county. A good chunk of the properties I manage are in Berkeley as of now. Interested in getting into the investment game though, just have not found the "one" yet. If I found a good property it would be in-state, preferably within a 60 minute radius of where I live.

    Strategy?
    As I said above, not a current investor but always looking. I would rather have cash flow vs. appreciation at this point, and prefer the buy and hold method above all else. I look forward to the opportunity to network with owners though and get some advice about how to find good cash flowing properties in my area.

    As far as my property management strategy goes, I always say "When tenants respect management they respect your property". If tenants see a management company slipping, or if they do not know/don't care how to talk to people professionally, tenants will see this and use it to their advantage. Returning calls/emails promptly, keeping detailed records, sending out renewal notices early to minimize vacancies, being licensed and aware of state/local laws, and having a strong team of contractors/accountants/etc is what separates the good companies from the bad. A manager who is one step ahead of tenants, aware of what's going on, and who is polite but firm shows that you are not just another burnt out manager who is sick of his job. Tenants often exploit weaknesses, so the key is to always be on your game and enforce the contract at all times.

    Type of properties?
    I would be ideally looking for small apartment buildings (4-10 units). I manage single family homes and apartment buildings, so that is really where I am most experienced.

    Looking for?

    Advice from investors about their strategies, as well as any investors interested in property management services.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?
    Property management strategies. Berkeley rent control laws. Landlord/tenant issues. Great stories....every manager has them.

    Looking forward to meeting all of you.

  • Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
    12y

    Dammit, I'd be there but it looks like I need to go to Ohio to see a guy about an apartment complex. Have fun guys!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Livermore, CA · Member since 2010 · 140 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    Hi Jay, I'm going to miss this. I will be in the lower part of the state that week. Hope it's a great meeting and some of you get some deals going.

  • Real Estate Coach · Chicagoland · Member since 2013 · 502 posts · 101 votes
    12y

    It's in my calender and I'll see you there!

    In State / Out of State?
    Investing in state primarily, particularly around the bay area. We do have a rehab happening in LA right now and we have the capacity to go out of state, but it's case-by-case if we do so.

    Strategy?
    Fix and Flip, and wholesaling.

    Type of properties?
    Anything where the numbers work.

    Looking for?
    Wholesalers, agents, and genuinely good people to connect with.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?
    Acquisition strategies, foreclosures, shortsales.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    I'm going to tag more people to also let them know about the date:

    @Dee Cross @Andrew Fingado @Dennis Follain @Peter Nguyen @Tiffany Sabado @Tim Garcia

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 17 votes
    12y

    Thanks, J for keeping this meetup going each month. I should be able to make it.

    In State / Out of State?
    Investing out of state. I've purchased homes in a couple of states.

    Strategy?
    Continue to build a passive income

    Type of properties?
    SFH and Multi-family

    Looking for?
    To network with other investors and hear what other strategies they are doing.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?
    Share my experience with a few different types of investments I've made recently. I've looked into different crowdfunding portals and syndication offerings, and recently made my first investment in a syndication. I've also have done some modest private lending investments.

    I have experience with investing with a SDIRA. I think if its used right, you can make much more with your retirement account with RE than the mutual funds in a 401K.

  • Hard Money Lender · Memphis, TN · Member since 2013 · 11 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    Everybody,

    I am excited to meet everyone in this East Bay Group. I work for a Non-Traditional Investment lender in Memphis and we lend in several different markets(unfortunately not California) I am a Real Estate investor myself and am pumped for the opportunity to speak with all of you.

    In State / Out of State?

    In state of TN for right now, but I do have my sites on other markets most notably Indianapolis. Just started with my first turnkey property here in Memphis a few months ago.

    Strategy?

    SFH buy and hold with an emphasis on cash flow

    Type of properties?
    I have only purchased SFH, but I am interested in Multi-Family as well @Alan Malicse I would be interested to hear you talk about commercial Real Estate

    Looking for?

    Hard money Lenders, Wholesalers, Advice mainly about what the Investment Real Estate market is like in the bay area.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?

    I am a senior underwriter at a Hard Money lender so I can offer advice in this space, and other finance related questions. I am fairly new to investing for myself so I am hoping learn as much as possible at this gathering.

    I look forward to meeting each of you!

    -Chad Standish-

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 69 posts · 68 votes
    12y

    Hi All,

    Thanks for the tag J, I've been in and outta town, but plan to attend on 3/20.

    Cheers,
    Cory

    In State / Out of State?

    In-state for now...but current CA market has me now opening my mind to out of state.

    Strategy?
    Buy and hold/fix (cosmetic) and hold

    Type of properties?
    New to REI, have one small vacation rental condo in SoCal--may rinse and repeat as this approach has been positive in terms of my education in cosmetic rehab, prop mgmt and cash flow. Also interested in purchasing a 2-4 multifamily duplex in greater bay area.

    Looking for?
    At this point interested in building my general RE knowledge.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?
    Marketing/management of vacation rental property...and all things tennis. :)

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed and @J. Martin thanks for the shout outs. Thinking about the rush hour bay bridge traffic makes me cringe. Put me down as a maybe!

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2013 · 24 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    Happy to see the meetup's in my neighborhood again! Looking forward to it...

    In State / Out of State?

    In-state. Considering partnering with friends/family in Chicago, but looking on my own here in California.

    Strategy?

    buy and hold.

    Type of properties?
    2-4 units in B or C areas.

    Looking for?

    advice

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?

    my recent experience shopping in Stockton and Oakland, areas in Chicago, traditional investments (non-real estate)

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    12y
    Signed up on BP late last year but more of an active user this year. I would love to meet up with locals and exchange knowledge & advice. In state / out of state - SFH in MEM, looking at a few other states & in CA Strategy - buy & hold Type of prop - SFH and Multi Family Looking for - advice, turn key , wholesalers , lenders, etc Can offer - experience in MEM , knowledgeable of the area
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.