San Jose Meetup - Friday 10/17/14

San Jose Meetup - Friday 10/17/14

When:

Where:Whispers Cafe and Creperie 1085 E Brokaw Rd Ste 10 San Jose, CA 95131

Cost:Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Johnson H.Pro Member
Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes

Hi All,

Last few months we have had over 20+ BP members attend this meetup, chatting about investing in the San Jose area and also out of state. @Jay Y. initially suggested this meetup and I have been keeping it going ever since. Regular experienced investors such as @J. Martin from Oakland and @Account Closed in San Jose have been attending. We welcome anyone who would like to attend!

When: Friday, October 17, 2014, 7:00pm

Where: Whispers Cafe and Creperie (outside patio)

(The cafe is in the same complex as City Sports and in the same building as Five Guys on the opposite side of the building.)

1085 E Brokaw Rd
Ste 10
San Jose, CA 95131

Looking forward to meeting new investors and seeing familiar faces.

Regards,

Johnson

Keywords:

South Bay , South Bay Meetup , Bay Area , Meetup , Meet up , Meet-up , San Francisco , Oakland , Berkeley , Alameda County , Contra Costa County , Solano County , Richmond , Hercules , Concord , Albany , Pittsburgh , Marin San Rafael , South Bay , Peninsula , Walnut Creek , Pittsburgh , Antioch , Pleasanton , Fremont , Castro Valley, San Jose, Milpitas, Sunnyvale, Fremont, Palo Alto, Santa Clara, Mountain View, Gilroy, Santa Cruz

2Reply
70 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
11y

Hopefully its not starting 4 hours earlier like the last one!  :)

See this reply in the discussion

58 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    11y
  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    11y
  • Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
    11y

    Hopefully its not starting 4 hours earlier like the last one!  :)

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    11y

    @Troy Fisher  - With my work schedule the way it is right now, I can't confirm if I can be there at 4pm like the other meetups in the past. I will know the week of and definitely let you know. Maybe @J. Martin or @Account Closed can confirm they will be able to arrive earlier?

    FYI, I will make forming a meetup.com group for these meetups soon. My work computer blocks access to the site so I hope I can get it up this weekend.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Johnson H. , why don't I be the first to kick this off, and say absolutely! I'll be down.. I'll check my schedule, but I don't think I'm working that day either, if yourself, @Account Closed , and any other early birds are going to be there then. I don't even have to fly in!

    A little introduction to those who don't know me.

    My investments: 4plexes, duplex, and SFHs in Richmond, East Oakland, West Oakland, by myself and with partners (including one from BP/meetup groups like this!), a couple 5 yr leases near Lake Merritt, w/ an AirB&B unit and short-term partially furnished rental (I am actually renting furniture!). Rolled up over $1MM (my share) in RE over the last 2 years & >$100K/yr gross rents, starting from a stick of gum, credit card, stable job, and a dream in my pocket.. (Oh yeah, and a bunch of RE industry exposure at my job, personal research, looking at properties for a couple years, planning, trolling around BP etc etc). Started with FHA on vacant REO 4plex, and it all snowballed from there. Also, I officially work full time..

    I'm interested in learning more about the condo conversion process in Oakland, where to plop "tiny homes" on empty lots, spaces, etc for extra rental income, ramping up my AirB&B listings, how to find more "master lease" type deals, and meeting, sharing with, and helping other awesome people :)  I'm also interested in sharing a lot of awesome speakers from BP and a great networking opportunity with everyone in Nov at SFSU! (see signature).

    I can offer up a lot of contacts if you're looking for a referral for something, or have a deal that you're trying to sell/dish off. I'm knowledgeable about landlording/property management (manage 12 units), residential, commercial, and private/hard money loans & contacts, finding cash flow in the Bay Area, dealing cordially with tenants and people, networking... I also have an economic, finance, and banking background, so I like to chat about the economy, other investments, interest rate cycles, etc.. Tag me on the forums, and always happy to help out :)

    Looking forward to seeing lots of familiar faces, and meet some new folks! Thanks for organizing again Johnson!

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Belle Tseng ,

    This is the meetup I was talking to you about in San Jose. Great folks. And then there's me! lol

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 115 posts · 75 votes
    11y

    @Johnson H. Darn, not in SJ on that day. When's the next SF Meet Up? Would love to see all of you again!

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    Ya @Johnson H. ,

    When is the next SF meetup? That's good for a lot of people, but so tough to get a good location to hear everyone.. @Account Closed 's new duplex..

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed  - I have been itching to host another SF meetup! I wanted to do it yesterday but my work travel schedule started changing on me and its still in flux now. Maybe the week of the 20th? I'll definitely let you know Joanna! I hope you are enjoying the good life without a full time job these days :)

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 115 posts · 75 votes
    11y

    @J. Martin: I'm itching to go to Oakland to see one of your properties, but not sure if we can do that tomorrow :(. Will try tho.

    @Johnson H.: Been busy so far. And I did that Road Trip!! :) Too much time on the road, so probably won't do that again :( Would love to catch up with you and yes, the week of 20th is perfect. Will definitely make it!

  • Cupertino, CA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @J Martin: Thank you very much for the invite.  I'll be there to meet you again.  When is a good time to arrive?  I see both 4pm and 7pm on this thread.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Belle Tseng 

    , 7PM is official start. Some people arrive early historically..

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 115 posts · 76 votes
    11y

    Hi @Johnson H. 

    Great to see that you are organizing an event down here!  From where I live, I can practically walk there...and if @J. Martin are buying the beers, I can practically stumble home!  :-)  

    I look forward to seeing you guys and the others in the BP Community that can make it.  

    @jos

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Peter K. , I'm glad to buy you a pitcher. @J. Martin , I can be there anytime after 4:00pm if someone wants to meet early. 

  • Real Estate Investor · CA · Member since 2011 · 47 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    I would like to attend.  I am new the the process.  Is there a way to identify the group?

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 115 posts · 76 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed  Haha, a pitcher of beer?   You must be trying to get a wholesale deal out of me.  

    You're right @j Martin has been a gracious host.  I'll buy 1 st round. 

    True words about friends.  

    See you guys soon. 

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    11y

    @William P.  - We'll be at the outside patio wearing blue hello name tags.

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 577 posts · 203 votes
    11y

    @Johnson H.

    @J. Martin 

    I would like to attend, but I'll unfortunately be out at an investment summit in Seattle on that day.  Please include me on the invite list for the next one.

    Best,

    jon

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Peter K. , I'm glad to buy you a pitcher. @J. Martin has been doing all the beer buying.  A lot of us don't drink at the event for some reasons. It's a fun event IMO. You get to make new friends and meet familiar faces. I was taught that it's harder to make a friend than an enemy. So new friends are always good. Looking forward to seeing you. 

    @Belle Tseng , welcome to Biggerpockets and the South Bay meet up. 

    @Johnson H. , I can be there anytime after 4:00pm if someone wants to meet early. 

    Hey Peter, I'll take a beer!
    It is fun, and good people.. every time I have a meetup or go to one, I meet someone new, doing something a little different. Lots of awesome regulars too.

    Minh, I'm not working (surprise!), so I'll meet you at 4PM, and for any other early birds who aren't doing the 9-5 (at least for now)... You don't even have to pick me up from the airport Minh! lol  I got a chance to meet @Jay Hinrichs the other day while he was in the Bay, and wish he could come share with the rest of the meetup. So many ways to make money in RE..

    Belle, should be a great experience for you to meet some other like-minded folks while you're in your search.

    Johnson, Minh and I can hold down the fort at 4PM for anyone who's coming early... Snag some tables..

    @Kathryn M. , are you going to drop in, and tell us more about the castle..?

  • Involved In Real Estate · Saratoga, CA · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    I was disappointed in not being able to make the September meetup and will definitely be there for this one!  

    Hope to chat more with you all soon.

    Cheers!

    @Johnson H. @J. Martin 

  • Bay Area, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    @Johnson H. 

    Thanks for setting this up. I am desperately trying to move my travel schedule around so I can be there. Fingers crossed! 

    Best

    Harshad

  • Real Estate Professional · San Jose, CA · Member since 2009 · 45 posts · 39 votes
    11y

    I'll be there. Anyone wanna see our latest acquisition in Cupertino? Got in at $660K, ARV $930K. Cash into the deal $425K. Refi CO $500K 2 months later. We're throwing an open house this Saturday from 5pm-7pm so all local investors can come in and check it out and network. I won't be there because I'm stuck at a meeting from 1pm-11pm but my hubby Tien will be there.

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    11y

    @Harshad Ranade  - You sound like the same boat I was in, I had to wait for my travel schedule to settle to set this meetup. I travel up to 70% of the year for work. If you can make it, we can talk about our travel woes, I was stuck in Chicago the day the FAA facility had the fire!

    @Richard Capatosto  - Looking forward to meeting you!

    I'll be working in Santa Clara and staying in Mountain View next week. If anyone wants to meetup for dinner, let me know! If not, I'll see you all Friday.

  • Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2014 · 207 posts · 190 votes
    11y

    @Suzanna Lam , looks like you caught a big fish here.  It would be amazing if you can consistently get this kind of margin. 

  • Real Estate Professional · San Jose, CA · Member since 2009 · 45 posts · 39 votes
    11y

    @David Cheung, I can't say we consistently get big fish but this kind of fish requires lots of patience and lots of focus including but not limited to: negotiation skills, quick math ability, lots of financial tools such as annuity, installment sales, tax knowledge (to inform seller how much in capital gain tax they must pay when they sell the property outright). At the end of the day, one of my coaches told me this "being a successful RE investor is having the ability to solve the seller's problem that no realtor or anyone out there can solve for them and believe or not all sellers have some type of problem they're trying to get rid of. If you ask the right questions, they will reveal their problems and bam you will get the big fish if you present a suitable solution to them". To that end, there's a lot to learn beyond throwing a bunch of cash to get the deal on an MLS. I find myself learning every single day so have an open mind is the secret of success in whatever you do.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.