Midwest Real Estate Networking Summit

Midwest Real Estate Networking Summit

This event is brought to you by:Second City Real Estate

When:

Where:UIC - Student Center East, 750 S Halsted St Chicago , Illinois 60607

Cost:$250

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. There may be pitching of products, services or properties at this event!

Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Midwest Real Estate Networking Summit
Chicago - May 11-13, 2018

This is a no-pitch, no ******** event catered to engage the top minds in the Midwest and forge the kind of relationships that will make your business boom! We have tapped prominent local and national speakers who will share their insights on finding deals, creative financing, raising capital, flipping homes, property management, syndication and much more. 

What to Expect: Powerful Speakers. Engaging Panels. Breakthrough Insights. Amazing Connections.

Friday: Learn Advanced Tips to Find and Analyze Great Deals
Saturday: Discover How the Best Manage Deals and Optimize Profits
Sunday: Optional tour of current real estate projects across Chicago

Tickets start at $250 and we have limited tickets so get yours today!

11Reply
87 views

Most Popular Reply

Professional · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 197 posts · 131 votes
8y

My number 1 take away is hire 2 Virtual assistants from Philippines from @J martin 

Enjoyed the story @Meghan McCallum presented 

Appreciated Rosario Terracciano story on scaling a business and his ups and downs

Appreciated meeting  @Lumi Ispas @Chris Titcomb @Jerry Puckett @Weston Harding  @Mark Ainley

@Mark Ainley

my main take away is resilience

@Meghan McCallum

See this reply in the discussion

106 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Brie Schmidt and @John Casmon

    Great event.  I had commented to a number of people how organized the event was; on schedule, great content, excellent networking.

    Looking forward to next year. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Chicago IL · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    Thanks to everyone for putting out this event, the networking alone is worth the value of admission!  looking forward to next year's event!

  • Vendor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Great event. Thanks to all who organized. I'd be in for another next year!

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Thanks for all the compliments and glad there is already interest for the next event. Definitely took a lot of effort, but pleased we were able to provide great value with all the amazing speakers who came out. It was amazing spending a couple of days with so many successful speakers who were willing to give their time and their knowledge. And the host committee members who sacrificed their time to help pull this off and coordinate logistics. 

    For those who attended, what was your #1 takeaway that you plan to act on coming out of the event? For me, it's a more disciplined contact plan for current and potential investors (.... and to double check all my insurance policies courtesy of @Jorge Newbery's story)

    So what's your #1 takeaway?

    @Syed Lateef @Yan P. @Leo Kwok @Wes LeBlanc @Kenneth Garrett @Meghan McCallum @Ben Walhood @Linda Weygant @Fernando Angelucci @Brie Schmidt

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    My main takeaway is to do what you do best and then outsource the rest or partner with people who complement your skills.  It was a recurring theme through J. Martin, Joe Fairless, Sterling White & Rosario Terracciano's presentations.

    You may save money by trying to do it all yourself, but you can't scale if your time is sucked up struggling with tasks you aren't good at.  Time is money, after all.

  • Investor · Hoffman Estates, IL · Member since 2014 · 434 posts · 185 votes
    8y

    Meeting @Joe Fairless was pretty cool.  I was a total nerd and had him sign my copies of "Best Real Estate Investing Advice Ever VOL 1 & 2" books.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 397 posts · 469 votes
    8y

    Thank you, @Brie Schmidt, @John Casmon, and to everyone else who helped plan, execute and share knowledge at this event!

    I brought back so many great notes and things to start working on... but hearing @J. Martin speak about Lifestyle Investing really lit a fire under me. I'll be spending a lot of time asking myself what I love to do, and what I can and should outsource so I can focus on what I love.

    I also had a blast meeting and chatting with a bunch of fantastic and inspiring investors and professionals. Thanks for the time @Meghan McCallum, @Linda Weygant, @Syed Lateef, @Jerry Puckett and more! See you all at next year's summit.

    NEW GOAL: To gain a level of investing accomplishment in the next two years such that I could be a speaker at the 2020 Midwest RE Summit. ;)

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Just wanted to say both as a speaker and as an attendee, @Brie Schmidt, @John Casmon, and company put on a one of a kind event!

    Really enjoyed the lineup of speakers and was so glad I got to reconnect with a lot of friends and investors, and meet a ton of new folks as well! 

    As for my one takeaway? I think it had to be @J. Martin and his discussion on "time budgeting" and how it's your most important budget. Time ROI is something we often forget. He had a great line with "just because you're good at it, doesn't mean you should be doing it." That one, I'm still thinking about.

    Can't wait until next year's Midwest Summit! 

  • Professional · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 197 posts · 131 votes
    8y

    My number 1 take away is hire 2 Virtual assistants from Philippines from @J martin 

    Enjoyed the story @Meghan McCallum presented 

    Appreciated Rosario Terracciano story on scaling a business and his ups and downs

    Appreciated meeting  @Lumi Ispas @Chris Titcomb @Jerry Puckett @Weston Harding  @Mark Ainley

    @Mark Ainley

    my main take away is resilience

    @Meghan McCallum

  • Waukegan, IL · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    Great event.  Learned a ton about VRBO and off market deals.  

  • Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 83 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    I had such a blast at this event. Loved every second of it and so glad I went. Met so many great people and made fun new friends.  Can't wait to go again next year!

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    I can't even put into words how grateful I am for all the speakers, sponsors, and attendees.  It was really rewarding to see all the hard work @John Casmon, @Meghan McCallum, @Charlie Shields, @Ben Walhood, and I put into this pay off.  

    Big thanks to @j martin for starting this in 2014 in San Francisco and giving us the idea to bring it to Chicago.  

    Also big thanks to @Joe Fairless / @Benjamin Lapidus and @Dave Van Horn for blazing the trail and helping us SO MUCH with the whole event.  

  • Vendor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    So many great things from the event, only 1 takeaway huh??

    In that case, alignment - a nice big umbrella we can hang a lot of things under. The folks operating at a higher level have figured out how to align some important elements of their life and work (how they spend their day, networking, partnerships/ relationships, thought leadership, etc.) to a small number of core goals that drive them (building their business, passive income, project type, community impact, etc.). Seems obvious in hindsight but became much clearer to me. There's no "one right way" for folks, and creating alignment was the most common thread I could see from those operating at a higher level. That's what I'll be working on... 

    Appreciate the whole team that pulled the Summit together, I know it's not an easy thing. 

  • Digital Marketing Lead Generation · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    I guess my big takeaway would be regarding just how potentially powerful networking events can be. I mean, even if my niche isn't investors or realtors (like 99%+ of the community) that 1% can be a huge difference maker.

  • Investor/Syndicator · North Aurora, IL · Member since 2013 · 167 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    My 1 big takeaway . How sorely this event was needed in Chicago land .  Nothing else I like it in the area,  trust me I've been looking for a long time. A heartfelt thank you to all speakers organizers  or  a very  education  and phenomenal networking event .  For the umpteenth time I will put my two cents in can't wait for next year .

  • Digital Marketing Lead Generation · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    I just got the Whova message to join the Private FB Group - but it's still unavailable to me.

  • Investor · Cary, IL · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    @John Casmon, great question!

    I think my biggest takeaway was that you've really got to be a few steps ahead in your mind of where you are in your RE activities today.  A lot of the speakers demonstrated impressive synergy between their particular niche, their talents, and their personal ambitions.  More a re-affirmation than a completely new concept but that was a theme that seemed to keep re-occurring, at least to me.

  • Specialist · CHICAGO · Member since 2015 · 680 posts · 650 votes
    8y

    Is everyone else getting over their Summit hangover?!  These events can REALLY tax your mind and nerve because there is sooooooo much info and personal experience in these two short days that I need just as much time to recover. When everyone recovers PLEASE reach out!

    @Bobby GerryThat picture is priceless!! It has some of my current favorite people in it and perhaps everyone in that picture will be soon!

    @Brie Schmidt and @John Casmon worked their asses, fingers, hearts, and heads to bring this event to an actualized point. If you haven't put one on (so....everyone besides @Joe Fairless, @J. Martin, and @Dave Van Horn) whatever you think it took in time, effort, and capital....you are dead wrong. 10X that idea. These are EXTREMELY valuable to attend and we are all very lucky to have had the opportunity to learn and speak here.

    Thanks also to every investor or soon to be potential investor I had the opportunity to speak with. There is never enough time.

    Key Take aways:

    Diversity in RE investing is happening!!!

    Business Partnerships are like a Marriage (Enter at your own risk and prenup)

    OUR SPONSORS and SPEAKERS are great people to fill out your POWER TEAM (@Linda Weygant)

    and apparently...I make a bad roommate for conferences...as I snore.

    Maybe I will see you all @Rod Khleif's MF conference Aug. 24-26 here in Chicago!!

  • Justin SumulongPro Member
    Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 15 votes
    8y

    My first conference/summit/event and it was great!  Looking forward to next year.

    As a newbie, I'd say my biggest takeaway is that many, if not all, investing strategies will work but find one that really interests you and make that your only focus while you put in the time & effort to master it (before moving on to another strategy).

    Great job & big thanks to @Brie Schmidt, @John Casmon & the team that put this together!

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I enjoyed your moderating @Meghan McCallum - you have a skill for asking the right questions and following up if clarity is needed. 

  • Specialist · CHICAGO · Member since 2015 · 680 posts · 650 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Joe Fairless! There I was thinking that when you said that to me you were just being kind! Ha ha ha. I'm guessing you missed my fireside chat with @John Casmon where I told everyone I'd rather they kick my kids than waste my time. Ha ha ha.

    Let's be honest here, I've been studying you since I went into investing full-time. You gave me the first opportunity to be on a podcast, your REI books are packed with the most concentrated amount of top notch knowledge that you have been collecting over the years, and you are dialed in on your process.

    And who doesn't like the guy who can raise enough money to fund a well in Uganda by donating an hour of his time. Bravo! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Mississippi River Valley - Pepin, WI · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Congratulations to @Meghan McCallum, @Brie Schmidt, @John Casmon, @Charlie Shields, and @Ben Walhood for your first and wildly successful summit!  

    Takeaways: 

    Think bigger!  Even when you're starting out and begin with a small, manageable investment, think bigger and plan for your success.  If you're tentative or think you can do it yourself, you'll struggle way more than you have to because there are a ton of resources just waiting to help you if you just reach out and connect.  

    And, your partnering and outsourcing strategy may just be the difference in real estate investing being your hobby vs. an amazing income stream you get while having the time of your life.  Do what you do best, outsource the rest! 

  • Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 83 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    Okay here are a couple of quick, funny interviews from the Networking Summit

    ..............

    https://youtu.be/7tjdCk9ASDQ

    ..............

  • Specialist · CHICAGO · Member since 2015 · 680 posts · 650 votes
    8y

    @Bobby Gerry I LOVE IT!!!! You have embraced putting your face out there!!!! Make sure to share this in the conference facebook group!!!

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    Thanks again for everyone who came out to the Midwest Real Estate Networking Summit.  Check out the video and we hope to see you again in Chicago June 1&2 2019

    @Rosario Terracciano  @Ben Walhood @Zach Shepard @Jerry Puckett @Andrew Holmes @Yan P.  @Dave Van Horn  @Sam Sharp  @Vincent Pace  @Sterling White  @Joe Fairless @Joshua Inglis @Ron Plonis  @Mark Ainley  @Linda Liberatore @Syed Lateef  @Linda Weygant  @Bill Exeter @Meghan McCallum @Jorge Newbery @John Casmon 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.