Topeka and Lawrence Kansas Networking RESOLVED

Topeka and Lawrence Kansas Networking RESOLVED

When:

Where:The Noresmen Brewing Company. Additional parking in the rear, 830 N Kansas Ave, Topeka, KS 66608 Topeka, Kansas 66608

Cost:Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Topeka, KS · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 13 votes

I have seen several posts from people in the Topeka and Lawrence area looking for investor networking opportunities closer to home. I, like many of you could not find one. So I created one. Please feel free to look up The Northeast Kansas Real Estate Investors Club on Facebook. 

The first meeting will be May 24th 2018. Meetings will be held the fourth Thursday of each month from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm at the Norsemen Brewing Company, 830 N Kansas Ave, Topeka, KS 66608.  There is no agenda as of yet and I would like for the meetings to be somewhat informal but with enough suggestions and volunteers, that could change. I look forward to seeing you there!

4Reply
85 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Lenexa, KS · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 3 votes
8y

I invest in Topeka, but live in Lenexa (KC metro).  I know the Topeka market pretty well.  If you get a group going, I may want to join.  I am very interested flips in KC, Lawrence or Topeka and multiplex opportunities in Lawrence. Thanks for getting something going, Michael!

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Broomfield, CO · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    Michael Stamps I was surprised no one has responded yet. I invest in Lawrence, but I live out of state, otherwise, I’d love to come!
  • Topeka, KS · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    @Nathan Olds I imagine it will take some time for the word to get out. But if you are ever in the area on the fourth Thursday of the month it would be great if you could stop by. I am interested in investing in the Lawrence area as well. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Lenexa, KS · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    I invest in Topeka, but live in Lenexa (KC metro).  I know the Topeka market pretty well.  If you get a group going, I may want to join.  I am very interested flips in KC, Lawrence or Topeka and multiplex opportunities in Lawrence. Thanks for getting something going, Michael!

  • Topeka, KS · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    @Sara Thomas we would love to get your insight on the Topeka market. Please stop by May 24th if you have can. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Lawrence, KS · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 35 votes
    8y
    Michael thanks for organizing. I’m interested and plan to be there.
  • Topeka, KS · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Dave, I look forward to meeting you.

  • Tim JohnstonPro Member
    Investor · Clay Center, KS · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    I’m planning on being there....

  • Lawrence, KS · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    I’m very happy to see this post! My husband and I are relocating back home to Lawrence this month. Hope to be able to make this event.
  • Topeka, KS · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Tim and Sharon, I look forward to meeting you both. 

  • Shawnee, KS · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    HI Michael,

    I'm interested in investing in multi-family units in the KC area but it will be nice to see what Topeka is like.

    I will plan to be there.

  • Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2015 · 769 posts · 279 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Kris Mo:

    HI Michael,

    I'm interested in investing in multi-family units in the KC area but it will be nice to see what Topeka is like.

    I will plan to be there.

    I haven't lived in Topeka long (since October) - I'm forced into renting myself here even though I own 6 properties in Wichita (new business owner) - so have had the experience as a renter for the 1st time in  my life.

    Topeka's full of garbage rentals  - you'd make a killing offering something of value, modern and not a dump - It is insane stuff you could rent for $1000 to 1500 in Wichita will go for $1500-2k plus here due to lack of quality inventory - below $1k which is what we are renting, good lord - we were lucky to even find a house that had a garage and room to park our 2 vehicles and cargo trailer - you can still find quality in Wichita and plenty of it in the sub $1k range - very little here.  

    Lots of opportunity but I also think things are overpriced - I haven't put my finger on why that is.  Topeka certainly a strange place.  Have ran into a few people who've stated they are making good returns with AirBnB  here.

  • Shawnee, KS · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    @Shane H. Wichita has also been on my radar..I was just there last week and it seems like a growing city with some really nice areas in certain parts of the city.

  • Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2015 · 769 posts · 279 votes
    8y

    @Kris Mo

    You need help in either place would be glad to help where I can.  I've only been in Topeka for 7 mos now so do not have a perfect lay of the land yet but have met a few people and have had to deal with some contractors for our business.  

    Topeka has it's opportunities as far as I can see, it's just vastly different than the opportunities in Wichita.  I'll continue to buy rentals in Wichita but will likely buy none here.  Duplexes are certainly a far better buy in Wichita however it's hard to find decent ones.  I'm still price shocked by the duplex prices and property taxes in Topeka.  (Shawnee county to be specific)

  • Topeka, KS · Member since 2012 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    I’m from Topeka born and raised. 38 years old and would agree it is a different market for sure. I live in Overland Park, KS now and invest with a lease option strategy in the KC Metro, Lawrence, SHAWNEE, Missouri, and other states.  Mainly Multifamily, High in value homes for greater return. My personal opinion a Fix & flip or buy & rehab strategy is good in Topeka.  Thanks for putting this together Michael.

  • Tim JohnstonPro Member
    Investor · Clay Center, KS · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Having a conflict, having to back out.

  • Topeka, KS · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    No worries Tim. Circle June 28th, same time, same place.

  • Lawrence, KS · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 15 votes
    8y
    I will plan on being there. Thanks for setting this up.
  • Topeka, KS · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Hello Everyone,

    Our first meeting is only 5 days away! We are very excited by the completely positive response to the club's formation.

    Here is the tentative agenda for the May Meeeting:

    7:00 p.m.- Meet and Greet
    7:20 p.m - Introductions
    7:25 p.m - Club Business
    7:45 p.m - Round Table Q&A
    8:25 p.m.-Closing Announcements
    8:30 p.m. Dismiss

    Be sure to share with your fellow investors!

    See you Thursday!

  • Lawrence, KS · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Hey Michael is the event going on tonight

  • suffolk, VA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Michael Stamps, My wife and I are flying out to Topeka this weekend.  We are also looking at adding to our investment portfolio.  Would you care to meet on 6/2 evening or 6/3 morning?

  • Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2015 · 769 posts · 279 votes
    8y

    @Justin S.  Curious what has you zoned in on buying in Topeka?  (Have you considered Wichita or Kansas City?)  

    I'm from Wichita and the prices/property taxes in Topeka are ridiculous - Wichita and KC have more going for it - It bothers me to say that since we live in Topeka now and own a business here, however my personal opinion from 9 mos of observation here.

    Quality rentals in Topeka will likely rent fast but RE is just overpriced for what you get compared to other places.  

  • suffolk, VA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Shane H. I already have a place in Topeka and I also think their is a lot of potential for a win-win.  perhaps i'm being naïve but I think that their are sections of Topeka ripe for rental properties that help improve the community and I could also benefit from.  I'm sure Wichita and KC are just as fruitful, I just haven't looked in that area. 

    California homes are $450,000+ and it makes it difficult to build income at that rate. I could essentially buy 4-8 homes in KS for that price. 

    I looked at future growth and up and coming cities in the surrounding areas but again, I haven't done enough research for those areas. 

  • Topeka, KS · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Shane, I think it is a little unfair to say real estate in Topeka is overpriced compared to Wichita or Kansas city. Those are completely different markets with different dynamics that should be considered. 

    Even in Topeka you will see variations in prices if you compare houses on the east side to houses on the west side. This is due to demographics, schools, crime rates and overall perception of the area. 

    "Quality rentals in Topeka will likely rent fast" that sounds like an opportunity brother. Let's find em! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Lenexa, KS · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    I just bought and cleaned up a home in Topeka and posted it for rent and I’m getting $255 more than the people right next door because I went the extra mile and made mine look great. I also had over 40 inquiries and got to pick who I wanted.  Topeka has a lack of nice rentals per my tenants. 

    My latest rental house wasn’t overpriced but I live in JOCO, so I guess everything is relative.  I think Topeka is a great place to invest, but I know the areas to stay away from when buying as well. Again, if it’s nice, you will have your pick of good renters. 

  • Topeka, KS · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Very nice Sara!

    I think there are plenty of people who would rent a quality home Topeka. My son and his girlfriend just moved from an apartment that they were paying around 800 a month to a house that is in my opinion not great but they are saving 200 a month and have a yard for their dog. 

    I think there are also plenty of people who would move from Topeka but when they see prices in Lawrence or the KC area end up with sticker shock and so they stay, but because they want to leave, they don't buy. 

    The choices in Topeka are pretty much buy a house, rent a crappy house or live in an expensive apartment. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.