BiggerPockets Real Estate Conference: Is it time?

BiggerPockets Real Estate Conference: Is it time?

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

One of my goals over the past 6 years has been to produce a real estate investing conference unlike any we've seen before. I believe that BiggerPockets is in a unique position to create a conference that changes the game . . .

While most real estate investing events, seminars, clubs, conferences, etc., revolve around the guru crowd, I think the REI world is longing for something different. Just as we changed the game by creating a community dominated by actual investors and other real estate professionals with their feet on the ground, I think we can and must do the same with a BiggerPockets conference.

With that in mind, I've been brainstorming this thing for a long time now, and have had a few false starts, but I've connected with someone that I believe can help us put on a hugely successful event. He has experience putting on various large and successful conventions, and we've begun to talk about how to proceed with one for BiggerPockets.

That said, while I'm confident in my ideas, I would love to get yours as well!

So . . . here are a few questions I've got for you....

1) If BiggerPockets put on a conference, would you want to attend?
2) Would you be willing to travel (fly) to attend such an event?
3) Do you think 2 days would be adequate for a first shot at it?
4) What kinds of ideas do you have for sessions?
5) What would a BP conference look like to you?
6) Of the real estate and other events that you've attended, what is the one thing that you've liked the most?
7) The least?

Feel free to add anything else to your post . . . I'm just looking to determine the level of enthusiasm and to get some ideas from all of you.

So . . . are you psyched?

15Reply
587 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
15y

Sounds awesome Josh!

1. I would definitely attend.

2. Yup...you would have to if you wanted to attend

3. 2 days is probably fine. I would love for it to be longer, but that is probably great for a first event

4. The sessions could have people present on different topics. There are tons of investors on here and I am sure you could start a thread to solicit interest from potential presenters. You could then have people vote on who they want to see present the most or some such

5. Half presentations and half mixers/networking. Perhaps a few hours of presentation followed by structure networking followed by more presentations followed by more networking

6. I think the best events are the ones that have people hit the highlights during their presentations and encourage networking. Hours and hours of lecture doesn't make for a very appealing event IMO

7. Events where people pitch stuff in their presentation or are non-experts on subjects with an agenda

I think one of the big things missing from the experience you are looking to create are local groups too. If BP could structure leaders for local groups and coordinate times for club meetings that would make the whole experience much more powerful IMO. I have met with many BP people by phone and in person and it adds a whole new dimension to the networking. Periodic structured BP club meetings would be very powerful.

See this reply in the discussion

246 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Commercial Real Estate Lender / Syndicator · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 888 posts · 309 votes
    14y

    I haven't been keeping up. Still in Denver, then Summit is even more fitting. Still thinking about 2 days in January? There's a 2 day REI event in Dallas Jan 28 & 29. I know some folks from this board, including me, have already registered for the Dallas event.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    Denver in January?

    Sounds cold!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    We're looking towards the end of March or some time in April. As soon as we know, you'll know . . .

  • Commercial Real Estate Lender / Syndicator · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 888 posts · 309 votes
    14y

    March still makes for some good skiing. Many resorts close their ski season in April. End of March/sometime in April avoids spring break, which would cause travel issues and increased hotel costs for both the conf and attendees. I like! Just not during Easter please.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2011 · 65 posts · 13 votes
    14y

    Chicago would be a great location for the conference...

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Thanks for the suggestion, Collier. We will be having the first one in Denver, though.

    Carlos - It would definitely be fun to do some skiing afterwards. Depending on dates, I think that may be in the cards...

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    14y

    I like the name Josh, great choice.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 46 votes
    14y

    Excellent choice, Josh. The late March/early April timing is also stellar.

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    looking forward to it josh! unfortunately im just one guy, but i have a family wedding to attend the last weekend in march...again, i'm just one guy, and in no way asing for special treatment..but i do plan on coming if it happens to be in april :)

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Bryan -
    Please give me your schedule and we'll make sure to work around it. I understand you're golfing on the 23rd as well . . . we'll try to do our best to make sure you don't miss those 18 holes. j/k

    I'll have more info for everyone hopefully this week . . . I'll be sure to add info here; just follow the discussion.

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    I would love to go, but tax season is a tough time for me. Sounds like you will have a good showing though.

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    I have already been scoping out plane tickets! I guess I need to dust off my ski goggles...just in case. I am really excited to learn more about what Josh has planned for this event and I know the potential for an amazing SUMMIT is very high.

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    14y

    I would consider going, depending on the date. Sounds like fun.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    This isn't in stone, but we're aiming for Friday March 23rd and Saturday March 24th . . . when it is official, I'll let everyone know. Meanwhile, check your calendars and save the date. When we've got a definite lock, we'll let you all know.

    Stay tuned.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Ok everyone . . . this thing is now official!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Just a quick note to everyone who posted in this thread about coming to the event . . . prices will be climbing in 2 weeks and late registration will be official.

    If you want to lock in the $200 rate for this event, be sure to register before February 24. After that, prices will climb to $250.

    There are lots of people who I'm still hoping will be joining us. Make sure to and join us in March!

    NOTE: We've created a new forum focused on this and future conferences. We'll be posting new content and info here as it comes in.

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    13y

    Perhaps this has already been mentioned (Wow! 13 pages of comments is more than I have time to read through). Please time it so that one can take advantage of the tax savings for the trip. I believe that if one takes a trip and over 50% of the time during the work week is used for business, the whole trip can be written off. So, if the conference is Tuesday through Thursday, one could arrive the Friday night prior and leave the Sunday night after and write off the entire stay. I'm not a tax expert, but have read something to that effect in a tax book. It would help if the location were in a nice vacation spot!

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Amy Arata,

    That is not correct, you can deduct the travel to and from the location; however, the costs for any days outside of the business reason are not deductible.

    If you stay 7 nights and the conference is 3, you can only deduct three days of stay and the travel. However, if the conference is in the morning and you arrive the prior day you can in essence bring yourself there the day before to stay the night instead of taking a red eye.

    Also, there is a different thread discussing the next Summit.

    -Steven

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Amy Arata Steven Hamilton II I noticed both of you posted on this thread, and I'm sure you didn't realize how old it was. You might want to start a thread specifically addressing the tax deductible advantages of going to the conference!

    They're still deciding on the place the next BP conference will be. We recently had a thread where we discussed it.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/25/topics/79281-the-date-and-place-of-the-2013-investors-summit

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Karen M.,

    I know how old it was hence my reference at the bottom of my post above :D

    Linked: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/25/topics/79281-the-date-and-place-of-the-2013-investors-summit

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.