BiggerPockets Real Estate Conference: Is it time?

BiggerPockets Real Estate Conference: Is it time?

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

One of my goals over the past 6 years has been to produce a real estate investing conference unlike any we've seen before. I believe that BiggerPockets is in a unique position to create a conference that changes the game . . .

While most real estate investing events, seminars, clubs, conferences, etc., revolve around the guru crowd, I think the REI world is longing for something different. Just as we changed the game by creating a community dominated by actual investors and other real estate professionals with their feet on the ground, I think we can and must do the same with a BiggerPockets conference.

With that in mind, I've been brainstorming this thing for a long time now, and have had a few false starts, but I've connected with someone that I believe can help us put on a hugely successful event. He has experience putting on various large and successful conventions, and we've begun to talk about how to proceed with one for BiggerPockets.

That said, while I'm confident in my ideas, I would love to get yours as well!

So . . . here are a few questions I've got for you....

1) If BiggerPockets put on a conference, would you want to attend?
2) Would you be willing to travel (fly) to attend such an event?
3) Do you think 2 days would be adequate for a first shot at it?
4) What kinds of ideas do you have for sessions?
5) What would a BP conference look like to you?
6) Of the real estate and other events that you've attended, what is the one thing that you've liked the most?
7) The least?

Feel free to add anything else to your post . . . I'm just looking to determine the level of enthusiasm and to get some ideas from all of you.

So . . . are you psyched?

15Reply
645 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
15y

Sounds awesome Josh!

1. I would definitely attend.

2. Yup...you would have to if you wanted to attend

3. 2 days is probably fine. I would love for it to be longer, but that is probably great for a first event

4. The sessions could have people present on different topics. There are tons of investors on here and I am sure you could start a thread to solicit interest from potential presenters. You could then have people vote on who they want to see present the most or some such

5. Half presentations and half mixers/networking. Perhaps a few hours of presentation followed by structure networking followed by more presentations followed by more networking

6. I think the best events are the ones that have people hit the highlights during their presentations and encourage networking. Hours and hours of lecture doesn't make for a very appealing event IMO

7. Events where people pitch stuff in their presentation or are non-experts on subjects with an agenda

I think one of the big things missing from the experience you are looking to create are local groups too. If BP could structure leaders for local groups and coordinate times for club meetings that would make the whole experience much more powerful IMO. I have met with many BP people by phone and in person and it adds a whole new dimension to the networking. Periodic structured BP club meetings would be very powerful.

See this reply in the discussion

246 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    14y

    How will it be set up??

    Will it flow like broker real estate conventions where you pick and choose what parts you want to attend.

    Example say a person wants to network multifamily and retail but has little to zero interest in wholesaling.

    Will it be a lot of inexperienced chasing the few experienced??

    A few years ago we had this happen for broker/agents at REO conventions.The new agents would literally follow asset managers in to the restrooms and talk to them while on the john.

    With past conventions I have been to it has been quality of content and the organization of the event that either made it a winner or a loser.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Joel - We'll let you know more once we start to lock in our speakers, but first we need to lock in the location and date . . . I'll just say that it is going to be great!

  • Anson YoungBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Rich Weese:
    Having spoken at various conferences and seminars in my life, you just plan ahead for bad weather. Arrive a bit early. Having hated living in Denver/Littleton for a miserable year in 1979 (100 year winter)and having pictures of my car being towed after being stuck in snow by a tow truck, which was being towed by a LARGER tow truck, I wish it was somewhere else. ( like Vegas where there are a billion flights and great deals on hotels/meals/entertainment).
    Having said that, I plan on being there, unless this is Presidents weekend (which is Parade of Homes weekend where I'll have a home to market.) Thanks to Josh for following through on this. Rich

    Haha, nice. I was born in March 1979 at St. Joseph hospital here in Denver! Long winter eh?

  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
    14y

    1) If BiggerPockets put on a conference, would you want to attend?

    Yes.
    2) Would you be willing to travel (fly) to attend such an event?
    Yes.

    3) Do you think 2 days would be adequate for a first shot at it?

    How about an optional 3rd day, or some sort of activity or networking the day before.

    4) What kinds of ideas do you have for sessions?

    Have people on this site present. I attended the mrlandlord.com
    national conference this year - the best presenters were the contributors. Here's what totally sucked. When I got to the conference, I was extremely broke. I expected to refine my landlording skill set to the max. Instead, 80% of the day was spent listening to national guru's try and sell their products that were completely unrelated to landlording. It's frustrating when you literally scrape by to get to a convention, sleep in a ripped up rental home with no a/c or working plumbing, and then get the hard sell for pricey products. That being said, it's been a tough year, but things are starting to look up again.

    5) What would a BP conference look like to you?
    A big room filled with successful investors willing to freely share their ideas and experiences.

    6) Of the real estate and other events that you've attended, what is the one thing that you've liked the most?

    The networking. By far the most valuable thing I have gained.

    7) The least?

    The hard sales pitch. The financial expense as well as lost family time is a large price to pay to make it to these sorts of events. To have to sit through national speakers fudging details to make people buy their super deluxe investing 3000 set, which included 800 cds and 25 manuals, which could be reduced to 1 cd in mp3 format sucks. The person hosting or gathering groups like this usually gets a nice fat cut of the sales of the guru materials.

    If we're there to become better investors, why not put it all out there, so we can all benefit, without the pretense of a salesman pushing products? Just charge a little more and give us all the material when we walk in the door.

    The conference sounds like a great idea!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Hey everyone -- A few things:

    1 - I thought we were really close to locking in a hotel a few weeks back, but had to deal with some serious nonsense over there and had to go back on the hunt. That said, I believe that we're VERY close to locking in a location for the event. Once we do that, we're going to share the dates with everyone and will start to get things moving very quickly.

    2 - I want to name this thing something other than The BiggerPockets Conference or something like that. I was hoping you guys could throw out some ideas. Here's my short list -- please let me know your thoughts.

    BP Con 2012
    BP REI Con 2012
    BiggerPockets Bankable REI Con 2012
    Gotta Get Some 2012 by BiggerPockets
    Make them Bigger 2012

    Suggestions?

    3 - I've got the beginnings of a website up and running - ok, there's nothing really there, but the future home of the conference will be at http://www.biggerpockets.com/conference/

    4 - That's it for now . . . jump in and leave your feedback on #2 above so we can start to get hyped up about it!

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
    14y

    Just my thoughts in terms of presentations... either let some fairly new people talk (panel or what not)... and PLEASE put some failures on the agenda.

    I 100% agree that people learn a lot more through their failures in life through their successes. For people going to these conferences to learn, those types of things are a lot more beneficial then one big shot after another telling us how easy this all was for them and all we have to do is follow their simple 12 step plan.

    Put some people up there who are still struggling with decisions, who still have to think through investments, and take chances... not someone who is so experienced that stimulus A immediate invokes response B... that Deal of XYZ value means hit Speed Dial 2 on the phone. Someone who is still scraping by, still searching for money for each deal, buyers for each opportunity, getting butterflies every time they select a tenant. Those people will relate to the learners much better.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Thanks for the feedback, Nathan.

    Any feedback on the name?

  • Chris ClothierBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    BP CON '12

    I like the short catchy name that all you have to do is change the year. IN the future you can have badges for those who have been before to showcase how many years they have attended. I definitely don;t think you name it anything that doesn't stick with your brand. Wither BP or Bigger Pockets CON '12.

    Looking forward to the rest of the details and I will see you there!

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 46 votes
    14y

    BP Con 2012

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2010 · 812 posts · 178 votes
    14y

    From a branding standpoint, why wouldn't you want BiggerPockets in the name? I think it's from a marketing standpoint to include your name.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    The name will be there, Joe.

    If it was something like Silly Con 2012 from BiggerPockets, the BP would be in there . . .

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
    14y

    Pockets o' Burstin '12

    We don't strive to enlarge our pockets, we strive to overfill them to the point of explosion (well, controlled enough that we can catch the cash afterwards!)

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 557 posts · 70 votes
    14y

    RECon 2012

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    14y

    BP Conference 2012

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    BP Con 2012
    BP REI Con 2012
    BiggerPockets Bankable REI Con 2012
    Gotta Get Some 2012 by BiggerPockets
    Make them Bigger 2012

    Suggestions?

    Leave out the "con" - sounds like con game to the uninitiated.

    I like "Make them bigger" A little double meaning gets peoples' attention, but that may not be what you are going for.

    How about making it SEO friendly - Biggerpockets Real Estate Networking.

    And I just came from a conference where the primary value was in networking, but they had no networking events. I'm talking about actual events structured to allow people to connect with those they needed most. Like a couple of breakouts where people could network with other buy and hold / landlord types, or flix and flip networking, etc.

    For example, carve out a 2-3 hour slot with several different rooms labeled by type of investing. then orchestrate an actual structure, so people can find the people they need. Such as each person in the room doing a 20 second pitch of who they are and who they are looking for. Or a speed dating type of networking.

  • Real Estate Investor · West Des Moines, IA · Member since 2011 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    How about:

    BiggerPockets REI Conference 2011
    "Go Big or Go Home"

    Ok, maybe not the "Go Big" so much, but the brand name-"BiggerPockets", is growing and becoming so recognizable, I believe it needs to be included in the event title.

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 488 posts · 121 votes
    14y

    Great idea, glad to see this is moving foward.

    Josh - the 2 day conference, will this be on a week end or week day?

    I'll be attending

    Danny

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Thanks for all the great feedback, guys. I definitely like the double meaning titles, but can see how simple is certainly better in many cases.

    Keep the ideas coming.

    Danny - We're still working on a few dates, but we're definitely going for a 2 day event. As soon as we have them locked in, I'll let everyone know here and on the conference section of the site.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    Marketing to the BiggerPockets members will be straight forward with opportunities for multiple touches in context. We'll know what BP is, however to most of the world it's a big oil company that had a huge spill last year. Therefore I'd go with a name like:

    REI Connect 2012
    brought to you by BiggerPockets

    And then use a tag line along with the title, like this:

    The premier live conference for connected real estate investors.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    I like that a lot, Jon. That said, Inman puts on their Inman Connect event and I'd hate to have a similar name.

    Perhaps there's something along similar lines that works . . . a synonym of connect or network that makes sense.

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    Bigger Pockets Conference 2012 - Mission Possible

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    What about BiggerPockets REI Summit 2012?

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    What about BiggerPockets REI Summit 2012?

    I like it Josh

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    I like the most recent suggestion by Josh. Rich

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    I'm actually going to announce right now that the name of the event will, in fact, be:

    BiggerPockets REI Summit 2012

    More details as they come . . .

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.