Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y
First of all, congratulations! Can you explain why you are wanting to set up an LLC? Is it to attempt to shield you from liability? If so, as John said, you can do fine by simply making sure you have an adequate personal umbrella policy.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
You don't need an LLC.....I've done it both ways. Just make sure your insurance is the right kind and is adequate. Use your $$ to buy more properties.....
First of all, congratulations! Can you explain why you are wanting to set up an LLC? Is it to attempt to shield you from liability? If so, as John said, you can do fine by simply making sure you have an adequate personal umbrella policy.
Thank you!
Yes, the purpose would be to shield from liability.
Don't buy in an LLC unless you are paying all cash.
Buy in you name with a mortgage, maybe a 10% down second home loan if you will use the property some.
The mortgage and insurance are your first 2 lines of defense. If you need more get an umbrella policy.
Thanks for the advice John. Any idea what lenders are looking for as a down payment? I've read 30% in a couple of articles which led me to believe I would need more upfront to get started.
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y
Ray, banks are going to consider this a commercial loan, so it will typically range from 20-25% down, depending on the bank. My bank used to require 25%, but as we’ve worked together and they’ve become more comfortable with me, it’s 20%.
Don't buy in an LLC unless you are paying all cash.
Buy in you name with a mortgage, maybe a 10% down second home loan if you will use the property some.
The mortgage and insurance are your first 2 lines of defense. If you need more get an umbrella policy.
Thanks for the advice John. Any idea what lenders are looking for as a down payment? I've read 30% in a couple of articles which led me to believe I would need more upfront to get started.
Don't buy in an LLC unless you are paying all cash.
Buy in you name with a mortgage, maybe a 10% down second home loan if you will use the property some.
The mortgage and insurance are your first 2 lines of defense. If you need more get an umbrella policy.
Thanks for the advice John. Any idea what lenders are looking for as a down payment? I've read 30% in a couple of articles which led me to believe I would need more upfront to get started.
Yes, the purpose would be to shield from liability.
But it doesn't do any more than a good insurance policy.....
Not true.
A liability insurance is a must but will not cover you against all risks.
For inside liability risks, a liability insurance may cover you up to their limit, but your personal assets are at risk if your insurance is refusing to cover you (read the many, many pages of exclusions of your policy) or if the claim exceed your policy limit.
For outside liability risks, if you don't have coverage from your personal liability and/or umbrella you may not be covered either.
An LLC put your assets in different boxes and insulate each box from each others. So you are limiting the total risks to one box at a time.
Insurances, asset striping and entities are all complementary but not similar asset protection tools. All of them need to be used in conjunction for a comprehensive structure giving you asset protection.
Now some people will tell you they are not using insurance nor any asset protection at all and have done well for years, some other will tell you horror stories about losing their shirt on a devastating lawsuit. At the end of the day, it is your own decision on what risk you want to assume and that will keep you sleep at night.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
@Mike S. Yeah, I get ya, I've had LLCs and S Corps before and I understand the value in them. I don't believe they are as necessary for a small business as they would be for a larger operation. Like you say, it's all about perceived risk and your ability to handle it....
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y
I had an alleged slip-and-fall at one of my cabins a few years ago, with a broken leg. Highly suspicious, but the settlement was $250,000 if I remember correctly. The policy on my cabin wrote the check.
Accidents happen. And when they happen on your property, they’re coming after you to redeem their lottery ticket.