Airbnb Rentals Ideas

Airbnb Rentals Ideas

Real Estate Broker · West Linn, OR · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 31 votes

Hey BP, I’m new to investing and I thought I’d look into investing in Airbnb rentals. I live in Portland and I’m a realtor and the market is just way to expensive out here. 
I was thinking about Florida or AZ. Anyone have any great location tips? Looking for something furnished between $250,000 to $385,000

3Reply
185 views

Most Popular Reply

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y

Read a book called Short Term Rental Long Term Wealth. Also, it's not an "airbnb" that makes you sound like a millennial. It's a "Vacation Rental" VRBO and direct bookings are leaving airbnb behind with the new generation that are sick of airbnb walking all over us. 

See this reply in the discussion

63 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Chinmay J.:

    All the hoopla over the guy calling STR an AIRBNB. I mean really? Get a life.

    Maybe @Luke Carl. Learn some basic grammar.   Maybe use some commas in your post.. They are free to use.. 

    And what's so wrong w/ sounding like a millennial if you are one. I am not one BTW. A bit older than that..  And you know what the new generation hates. This "get off my lawn" attitude. 

    I am a millennial sir. I also don’t need commas when have a yacht.  

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Josh Calcanis:

    @Luke Carl interesting to hear that about AirBnB - I've got a friend here in Florida that does a brilliant job with his STR holdings on AirBnB (also on BP - Travis Zappia). While he's mentioned how AirBnB doesn't really support it's hosts as much as he should he's got quite the process built up.

    I'm currently only in the LTR space, but have been inspired by the cash flow for those properties and the financing for them. Could you detail the VRBO and direct bookings a little more for me? What's the difference for those two? Also just ordered that book.

    We’ve opened the preverbal can of short term rental worms that has been going on for a decade. Keeping in mind VRBO was around for 15 years before anybody dreamed up Airbnb.

    The Shop does believe that VRBO takes the advantage in a head to head comparison.

    That said we encourage the use of both and do your best to maintain 50/50 bookings.

    Personally I’m at 65% VRBO and that’s exactly where I want to be. It does take work too achieve this.

    That said:

    The two platforms are very much two different types of personalities for both hosts and guests. I realized a long time ago it’s foolish for me to try and push one or the other. It’s all about whatever works for you.

    PC rules Mac Sucks
    Mac Sucks PC rules
    It’s a battle that’s not worth fighting.

    The weird thing is I am 100% a Mac and always have been yet I prefer what most people would consider the PC of platforms.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    The OP distinctly separated AIR and VRBO. He specifically said that communities are banning VRBO and not AIR. Go back and read his posts.

    He came on here and asked for advice and he got a lot of good advice from very knowlegable people. 

  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Luke Carl:
    Originally posted by @Chinmay J.:

    All the hoopla over the guy calling STR an AIRBNB. I mean really? Get a life.

    Maybe @Luke Carl. Learn some basic grammar.   Maybe use some commas in your post.. They are free to use.. 

    And what's so wrong w/ sounding like a millennial if you are one. I am not one BTW. A bit older than that..  And you know what the new generation hates. This "get off my lawn" attitude. 

    I am a millennial sir. I also don’t need commas when have a yacht.  

     Ahh one of the millionaire jerks.. You should hook up with Pharma Bro.. Y'all make a good pair. 

    I don't give a rat's a$$ what you have or don't have. 

  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Luke Carl:
    Originally posted by @Josh Calcanis:

    @Luke Carl interesting to hear that about AirBnB - I've got a friend here in Florida that does a brilliant job with his STR holdings on AirBnB (also on BP - Travis Zappia). While he's mentioned how AirBnB doesn't really support it's hosts as much as he should he's got quite the process built up.

    I'm currently only in the LTR space, but have been inspired by the cash flow for those properties and the financing for them. Could you detail the VRBO and direct bookings a little more for me? What's the difference for those two? Also just ordered that book.

    We’ve opened the preverbal can of short term rental worms that has been going on for a decade. Keeping in mind VRBO was around for 15 years before anybody dreamed up Airbnb.

    The Shop does believe that VRBO takes the advantage in a head to head comparison.

    That said we encourage the use of both and do your best to maintain 50/50 bookings.

    Personally I’m at 65% VRBO and that’s exactly where I want to be. It does take work too achieve this.

    That said:

    The two platforms are very much two different types of personalities for both hosts and guests. I realized a long time ago it’s foolish for me to try and push one or the other. It’s all about whatever works for you.

    PC rules Mac Sucks
    Mac Sucks PC rules
    It’s a battle that’s not worth fighting.

    The weird thing is I am 100% a Mac and always have been yet I prefer what most people would consider the PC of platforms.

     The word you want to use is "proverbial" not "preverbal" 

    Preverbal is a word in English language, but has a completely different meaning. It means something that comes before a verb. Hence, PRE-VERB.  Proverbial means something that has an idiomatic reference. 

    But again, why would you care about nuances of English language. You have a yacht. 

    May the Lord have mercy on your English teacher's soul. I am sure he/she passed away after having you as their student. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Chinmay J.:

     The word you want to use is "proverbial" not "preverbal" 

    Preverbal is a word in English language, but has a completely different meaning. It means something that comes before a verb. Hence, PRE-VERB.  Proverbial means something that has an idiomatic reference. 

    But again, why would you care about nuances of English language. You have a yacht. 

    May the good Lord have mercy on your English teacher's soul. I am sure he/she passed away after having you as their student. 

    You may not know this, but a lot of people 'talk' their messages into their phone, hence the occasional misuse of words. We try not to be so picky on the forum, it's just not the point.

    Having said that: it's Northern Virginia, not Northern, Virginia. Northern is not a town in Virginia.

  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff:
    Originally posted by @Chinmay J.:

     The word you want to use is "proverbial" not "preverbal" 

    Preverbal is a word in English language, but has a completely different meaning. It means something that comes before a verb. Hence, PRE-VERB.  Proverbial means something that has an idiomatic reference. 

    But again, why would you care about nuances of English language. You have a yacht. 

    May the good Lord have mercy on your English teacher's soul. I am sure he/she passed away after having you as their student. 

    You may not know this, but a lot of people 'talk' their messages into their phone, hence the occasional misuse of words. We try not to be so picky on the forum, it's just not the point.

    Having said that: it's Northern Virginia, not Northern, Virginia. Northern is not a town in Virginia.

    I know it says Northern Virginia, but I didn't make that change.. BP made that change.. Maybe they are the ones who need to be careful. 

    Thanks for pointing out BTW.. I've told them to fix it.. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    No worries, Dude, just having a little fun.....

  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff:

    No worries, Dude, just having a little fun.....

    Usually, I don't pick on other people's grammar, spellings, punctuation etc. I completely understand that people come from all backgrounds, cultures, and a lot of people don't speak English as their primary language.  

    But when you encounter jerk like Puke.. Errrr.. Luke... you have to put them in the place where they belong. 

    Like I said, he and Pharma Bro make a good pair. 

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    OK, both sides have taken jabs, lets get back to something productive.  @Jonathan Vese, I do vacation rentals and use both VRBO and AIR BnB.  I actually get close to 70% of my rental bookings from AIR BnB.  That being said I get more fraud attempts under VRBO listings, and most of my long term stays from VRBO.  I would definitely use both sites if I were to list.  I only have 2 going at the moment, but hope to have my third within a month, and hopefully 2 more before summer.  I have another that will require a lot of work and might not be ready until late this year.  I am going to have to step up my game as the 2 I have take a fair bit of time.  I don't seem to be able to find folks who think about filling up the salt and pepper shakers, or replacing drinking glasses that get broken or disappear.  Historically getting cleaners and folks to shovel snow has also been a challenge.  If I add the next 4 I have planned I will have to find more cleaners hehe.  Those are good problems to have bud.  It means you are getting lots of bookings.  You might set your systems up early to avoid being in my spot.  My first attempt at using the combined calendar for both sites about 5 years ago was a disaster, but I understand it is pretty reliable now.  That is my next challenge.

  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    4y

    To classify a STR as a VRBO and not as an airbnb is a mistake.

    Take some time to pretend you're going on vacation. Pick a spot, any spot. What do the hosts describe as being awesome about their places? What do their reviews say about their places? What is the cost per night to stay? (ADR) 

    Next, go on Zillow or your favorite real estate site. Maybe connect with a BP realtor who understands, owns, operates STR's. There are several right here. Now pretend you're buying a house in that very area. What does it cost to buy?

    Lastly, find a STR analyzer. One member here just posted one of his but there are plenty online, like Airdna.

    Finally, read through this forum and thank the folks who answer your questions. Try to understand their angle. Respect their knowledge and their time. That's ageless.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Good post @Nancy Bachety I doubt the OP will even read it as he hasn't been back to comment in over a day. So much wisdom on this forum and how often is it appreciated.....?

  • Real Estate Broker · West Linn, OR · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 31 votes
    4y

    @Bruce Woodruff

    I’m reading them. Don’t be a smart ***. You’re the kind of “investor” that truly ruins the passion. If you’re just here to talk **** get out of here. I’ve contacted the people that have reached out to me specifically. I own LTR and wanted to look at something else that I’m not familiar with. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan Vese:

    @Bruce Woodruff

    I’m reading them. Don’t be a smart ***. You’re the kind of “investor” that truly ruins the passion. If you’re just here to talk **** get out of here. I’ve contacted the people that have reached out to me specifically. I own LTR and wanted to look at something else that I’m not familiar with. 

    Wow. Ok, my apologies...but wouldn't it be polite to reach out to all the people who are making an attempt to answer your questions and help you out..... :-)

  • Real Estate Broker · West Linn, OR · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 31 votes
    4y

    @Bruce Woodruffi guess you need help with reading. I said I reached out. Looks like you have a hard time with reading. Stop writing here and go get a life. Thanks 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan Vese:

    @Bruce Woodruffi guess you need help with reading. I said I reached out. Looks like you have a hard time with reading. Stop writing here and go get a life. Thanks 

    One of us needs help reading. 

    I said "but wouldn't it be polite to reach out to all the people"

    Good luck with your endeavors.....

  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    4y

    Try selling a few more houses and investing in the market you're familiar with in Portland. Learning how to self manage on your own from a distance is even harder then trying to get advice from seasoned STR owner/investors on BP, especially when your back is up and your buttons are pushed. It's nothing personal but because so many questions like yours are asked repeatedly, the answers are right here in the very same forum you posted in. Due diligence also means do your part. Btw, what did you find out when you searched Airbnb listings and Zillow?

  • Real Estate Broker · West Linn, OR · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 31 votes
    4y

    @Nancy Bachety 

    I've sold a lot of real estate in this area. I'm not looking to buy in my area for STR. I'm looking for out of state as I made clear in my first post. I'm already in contact with agents/investors in the areas I'm looking

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff:
    Originally posted by @Jonathan Vese:

    @Bruce Woodruffi guess you need help with reading. I said I reached out. Looks like you have a hard time with reading. Stop writing here and go get a life. Thanks 

    One of us needs help reading. 

    I said "but wouldn't it be polite to reach out to all the people"

    Good luck with your endeavors.....

    Some of these Millenials are sensitive and rude. They get upset when they don't recognize help. Don't waste any more of your time trying to help.

  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    4y

    You’ve made a lot of things very clear. Best of luck in getting the help you came asking for. Clearly. Good night.

  • Real Estate Broker · West Linn, OR · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 31 votes
    4y

    @John Underwood

    Lol you’re funny. 
    Not sensitive at all. Don’t like talking with cocky people such as yourself. You can go somewhere else. I got the help I needed already.

  • Real Estate Agent · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    Hi Jonathan,

    I am a Real Estate agent in the Phoenix area. I own 8 investments of my own, three long terms in Arizona, but also keeping an eye out for some short terms. Let me now if I can help. :)

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2020 · 285 posts · 318 votes
    4y

    @Jonathan Vese I own a couple STRs and I’m always open to working with people who want to get into the space. Feel free to DM me if you want any advice or have interest in partnering. Good luck!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Phoenix Arizona · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    4y

    Hey Jonathan, great place ( Phoenix area).  Economy here is crazy great!

    Appreciation is one of the best in the states!

    Reaching out if you need help.

    Know quite a few people that can help get it up and running.

  • Investor · IN (indiana) · Member since 2020 · 109 posts · 53 votes
    4y

    @Jonathan Vese Check out AirDna it will give you all the info you need. I think TN is a really hot market for this right now

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.