Standard Practice on Dealing with Fraudulent Payments on Guests

Standard Practice on Dealing with Fraudulent Payments on Guests

Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes

Hi, Fellow STR operators

I have a question on fraudulent payments from STR guests and wonder whether you all have a standard practice dealing with such situations:

We have some units in the rough part of the town and we have to deal with many interesting situations. One of them is fraudulent payments. For example, we have a guest booked for two weeks. After they checked in for two days, we got the notice from Stripe (the processing payment we use for bookings from VRBO and booking.com ) saying the the bank is disputing the charge as fraudulent. So, what is the best practice for such situation? We do have the front desk in the building that checks the photo from the ID matches the person and the name on ID with that in our system. We only send door codes to registered emails of the booking channel. 

Your inputs will be appreciated!

Lee

1Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
4y

Get a driver's license on all bookings.

I do this on $600 per night bookings.

I don't have a procedure for fraudulent bookings because I don't get them. (Knock on wood)

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    Pull the electric meter. I've done it before. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    Get a driver's license on all bookings.

    I do this on $600 per night bookings.

    I don't have a procedure for fraudulent bookings because I don't get them. (Knock on wood)

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Leon Lee:

    Hi, Fellow STR operators

     After they checked in for two days, we got the notice from Stripe (the processing payment we use for bookings from VRBO and booking.com ) 

    Don't these platforms process their own payments? AIR and VRBO police their own guests payments as far as I know. Who is Stripe? Anyway, I've never had the problem either......?

  • Member since 2020 · 223 posts · 233 votes
    4y

    If someone issues a charge back, they can win and Airbnb won't fight it for you. I've experienced this myself and lost $3000. First charge back Airbnb said oh we will fight it. Customer simply issued a 2nd one, Airbnb said, we can't do anything about it. Sorry. I was horrified. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes
    4y
    We got them out, telling them that we will cancel the reservation and it will be trespassing and police will be called.  I think as counties start to resume eviction process, we will have more of this type of guests. They reported fraudulent charges on the booking one day after they checked in. 

    Now, we added an online checkin process that will require guests to upload their IDs. Hopefully this extra step will deter some squatters. 

    Thank you all for your inputs!
    Lee
  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Originally posted by @Leon Lee:

    Hi, Fellow STR operators

     After they checked in for two days, we got the notice from Stripe (the processing payment we use for bookings from VRBO and booking.com ) 

    Don't these platforms process their own payments? AIR and VRBO police their own guests payments as far as I know. Who is Stripe? Anyway, I've never had the problem either......?

    Bruce

    For VRBO and Booking.com, you could choose to either use their payments or your own payment processing method, which is Stripe for our case. In this way, you could charge guests 100% at reservation, refund them, add extra charge, add your taxes in the invoices or send them invoices to pay based on your own policies. The downside is that you need to have manpower to process payments and fight disputes. 

    Best
    Lee



Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.