Renting my SFH to a church?

Renting my SFH to a church?

Property Manager · 75098 · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 12 votes

Hi! I got one of my houses up for rent and recieved a message from the pastor of a good sized church who would like to rent the home but allow single mothers to live there until they can get on their feet.  Seems like a fairly good deal, they would be responsible for rent between occupants for the duration of the lease and of course I would request any occupants have a background check prior to living in the property. Might even ask extra deposit. 

What downsides may I have not considered? Has anyone done this before?

0Reply
25 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Woodridge, IL · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    Can you see if the church has this setup with other house so you can ask their landlords?

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    So you would sign a lease with the church and they are the tenant? That would make them responsible for deposits and damage. I would be ok with it. I would make them responsible for paying the rent. They could collect from occupants if necessary.  I'd be ok with this arrangement.

    I would not worry about background checks on occupants. It would be the church's responsibility to look after the house and occupants. I would make sure the lease said all this. 

    Tell them you will give it a try for a year to see how it works out. 

    Ask for all maintenance requests and repairs go through them. Single point of contact for you.

  • Property Manager · 75098 · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Edward Wodziak:

    Can you see if the church has this setup with other house so you can ask their landlords?

    That's a good idea. I don't see why they wouldn't let me! 

  • Property Manager · 75098 · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @John Underwood:

    So you would sign a lease with the church and they are the tenant? That would make them responsible for deposits and damage. I would be ok with it. I would make them responsible for paying the rent. They could collect from occupants if necessary.  I'd be ok with this arrangement.

    I would not worry about background checks on occupants. It would be the church's responsibility to look after the house and occupants. I would make sure the lease said all this. 

    Tell them you will give it a try for a year to see how it works out. 

    Ask for all maintenance requests and repairs go through them. Single point of contact for you.

    Lease is with church. 

    Good idea about church being responsible for maintenance. 

    My husband was concerned about wear and tear and some sort of parade of single mothers coming through, but I sort of felt it had a section 8 without irritating inspections vibe. 

    I have tons of interest in this particular property, but this seemed like a fantastic low maintenance arrangement in some ways.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.