Buying vacation home / STR should I bother with an LLC?

Buying vacation home / STR should I bother with an LLC?

Wethersfield, CT · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 8 votes

Buying a beach vacation property that will be used as an STR for about 48 weeks out of the year, should I place this property in an LLC?

I will have significant equity in the property with only about 30% of the purchase price holding a mortgage note via family. My plan is to start with a property management company (PMI) and go from there.

Attorney is saying buy it via an LLC but I am concerned I may be over complicating things. Any thoughts?

I tried searching this topic in the forums as I'm sure its been asked but can't figure out how to isolate "STR & LLC".

Thanks!

1Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Kaneohe, HI · Member since 2020 · 193 posts · 163 votes
4y

Hi Steve - congrats on your new investment. I recommend you follow your attorney's advice and hold it in an LLC. My recommendation is based on personal experience, and advice I have received from attorneys & accountants as well as other investors over the years.

And it is very easy to form an LLC so not making the process much more complicated.

Best of luck 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Kaneohe, HI · Member since 2020 · 193 posts · 163 votes
    4y

    Hi Steve - congrats on your new investment. I recommend you follow your attorney's advice and hold it in an LLC. My recommendation is based on personal experience, and advice I have received from attorneys & accountants as well as other investors over the years.

    And it is very easy to form an LLC so not making the process much more complicated.

    Best of luck 

  • Wethersfield, CT · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 8 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bryan Vukelich:

    Hi Steve - congrats on your new investment. I recommend you follow your attorney's advice and hold it in an LLC. My recommendation is based on personal experience, and advice I have received from attorneys & accountants as well as other investors over the years.

    And it is very easy to form an LLC so not making the process much more complicated.

    Best of luck 

    Thanks Bryan! Appreciate the color!

    @Bryan Vukelich:



    @Bryan Vukelich:


    @Bryan Vukelichundefined

  • Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    We did not buy ours in an LLC, but got advice from our accountant to convert it. We were pretty far into a refinance with a great rate when I got the advice. Our lender said they would not finance it as an LLC.

    We finished the refi because I couldn't pass up the great rate. I'm not sure what we're going to do now. I ultimately want this investment in an LLC, but I'm not exactly sure how.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Attorneys always say put it in an LLC. I've done it both ways. If you have adequate insurance it doesn't matter, it just costs more....

  • Attorney · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2022 · 220 posts · 83 votes
    4y

    I would recommend using an LLC for the purchase and long term holding of the STR. STRs do have liability with the rotation of guests so its important to ensure the liability is removed from you as the owner and contained in an LLC.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.