Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 16 votes
This is our first STR. We were lucky enough to secure an oceanfront property and are excited to get things moving. With all you experts on here, I wanted to get your opinion. Since it is oceanfront, primetime is right around the corner. Would you rent this out now or wait until a remodel? Primarily looking at the kitchen and bathrooms needing some updating, but not wanting to miss out on income . . . what are your thoughts? Rent now, remodel in off season?
Lender · Member since 2022 · 441 posts · 134 votes
4y
It is a tough debate for sure but with the busy season coming up and how it looks. I would rent now and renovate later, as next busy season you will get that much more and not miss any of this busy season.
Lender · Member since 2022 · 441 posts · 134 votes
4y
It is a tough debate for sure but with the busy season coming up and how it looks. I would rent now and renovate later, as next busy season you will get that much more and not miss any of this busy season.
Investor · Olathe, KS · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 99 votes
4y
@Drew Nashmy
You could do something simple like have someone epoxy paint the kitchen counters and backsplash. Doesn’t cost that much and can be done quickly. I agree though go ahead and rent it as is this busy season and then update later. It still looks pretty good. And being on the ocean I don’t think it will matter that much. Of course this is coming from someone in the middle of the country:)
Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2018 · 309 posts · 264 votes
4y
Definitely rent now, remodel this upcoming winter. Sure you won't get quite what you would it was completely remodeled, but you'll be able to make enough to last you throughout the winter and likely cover a good amount of the remodel costs.
Real Estate Agent · Grass Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 198 votes
4y
Rent now!! It looks fine. The fact that it is ocean front will out weight anything. Remodel when it is slow - and have everything ready...meaning all your materials etc... so there is less down time.
Rent now!! It looks fine. The fact that it is ocean front will out weight anything. Remodel when it is slow - and have everything ready...meaning all your materials etc... so there is less down time.
Cleveland · Member since 2021 · 95 posts · 52 votes
4y
Busy season is coming up… Rent now remodel in the off season.
But remember it’s on the beach… I’ll repeat its on the BEACH!! They are not paying to have granite countertops(although they should be part of the remodel) they are paying to live like a mafk boss!
Busy season is coming up… Rent now remodel in the off season.
But remember it’s on the beach… I’ll repeat its on the BEACH!! They are not paying to have granite countertops(although they should be part of the remodel) they are paying to live like a mafk boss!
Love it! So true. Easy to get short sighted or have tunnel vision! Would you mention a remodel is in the future ?
Some guests might enjoy chiming in about your remodel plans. Leave a guest book and something like "Hey, Folks! (House name) is getting face lift this winter. What would do to make your oceanfront experience even better?" I would have fun with that if I were visiting. Best wishes!
Rental Property Investor · Hammond, WI · Member since 2017 · 139 posts · 217 votes
4y
I'd rent out as well, we're doing a bunch of upgrades to our cabin and the first year's profit is paying for pretty much all of it. Do the renovations in the offseason.
This is our first STR. We were lucky enough to secure an oceanfront property and are excited to get things moving. With all you experts on here, I wanted to get your opinion. Since it is oceanfront, primetime is right around the corner. Would you rent this out now or wait until a remodel? Primarily looking at the kitchen and bathrooms needing some updating, but not wanting to miss out on income . . . what are your thoughts? Rent now, remodel in off season?
Did the person before you get good rent on it? I think right now and fix it up later. Worst case scenario you don’t get many renters so you do go all in and renovate it sooner. But I think it’s worth putting it on the market and seeing what happens.
Some guests might enjoy chiming in about your remodel plans. Leave a guest book and something like "Hey, Folks! (House name) is getting face lift this winter. What would do to make your oceanfront experience even better?" I would have fun with that if I were visiting. Best wishes!